The last console I owned was a Sega Saturn...

GameON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GameON

... and I thought to myself, "Well, the Saturn was not released too long ago. Was it?". Well after a glance over the wiki page and reminiscing about games I enjoyed like Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, and Steep Slope Sliders, I realize that this is all about 15 years ago.
     Needless to say I've missed out on many monumental titles, but I was curious to ask about opinions on what you consider to be the most important releases of the past decade or so, and what game stands out to you on a personal level.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By Icemael

Dude, you have a shitload of catching up to do. 
GameON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GameON

Well, it's not to say that I am totally unaware of developments in the world of video games, but I haven't had a lot of actual hands on experience with many titles in those years. Mainly due to what was going on in my personal life, and of course lack of money. I've never Master Chief'd a Halo for one. I hear it's all the rage with the kids these days.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Just pick up an Jasper 360 and pick up The Orange Box, Left 4 Head, Call of Dooty 4, Viva Pinata, Gears 1&2, and of course Xbox Live.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Oh man, there's so much out there... So hard to choose one.

If you wanna get back into gaming, just pick up a 360 (it's a cheap console with a lot of bang for your buck). 
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

Someone with taste yay.

Get a Dreamcast and Shenmue 1 & 2, Daytona, Virtual On 2, 4 Wheel Thunder, Gun Valkyrie, Rez, Ikaruga, Sonic Adventure, Headhunter (maybe), Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Phantasy Star Online (Offline only), Virtua Tennis, Ferrari F355 Challenge, Chuc Chu Rocket, Gunbird 2, RE: Code Veronica, Fur Fighters, Jet Set (or Grind) Radio, Power Stone 1 & 2, Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Soul Calibur :)

If you still have your Saturn get Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Saga (maybe the first too but for nostalgia only, it doesn't holda cande to the sequel), Radiant Silvergun, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Virtual On, Gun Griffon 1 & 2, Shining Force III, Fighters Megamix, Princess Crown, and eh, others!

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By atejas

PS2
Dreamcast
Above all else, a decent PC(read, something 3 years old in terms of hardware, should go dirt cheap).

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Best bet is probably to crawl back under that rock you've been living under.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shadow

....how in the frozen over hell did you find this website then?

ishotmrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By ishotmrburns

I could probably list hundreds of games I consider important, but I'll limit it to what I consider the top 5 most important releases of the last decade or so:

• Grand Theft Auto III
  • Half-Life
  • Ocarina of Time
  • The Sims
  • Super Mario 64

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Jensonb

You're probably gonna need to play some Half-Life.

That has to happen.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Meowayne

Interesting topic! For someone who hasn't played much in the last fifteen years, what titles are there that need attention?

The question is, are you able to enjoy games like Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VII when many modern gamers cannot anymore, because these games haven't aged well?

Some titles are no-brainers, though. Half-Life 2. Portal. Shadow of the Colossus. Silent Hill 2. Wii Sports. Super Mario Galaxy. Metal Gear Solid series.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lamegame621
Jensonb said:
"You're probably gonna need to play some Half-Life.

That has to happen.
"
This is the bare minimum.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks

That's a long time to be out of console gaming...there are so may great games in between to list. I say take a look at Gamerankings and scan through the platforms since.

Get a Dreamcast and a 360, and catch up.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Black_Rose

You need to play some Zelda, Metroid Prime, Super Smash Bros, Okami, No More Heroes, Dead Rising, Burnout games, Prince of persia: Sands of time and Shadow of the Colossus...and a ton more, the list is endless.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Commando

Nintendo 64: Goldeneye. If you haven't played that you don't deserve to live

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r

Don't forget, he's also missed on PlayStation, N64, GameCube and PlayStation 2 on top of the Dreamcast :)
So, no Metal Gear Solid, no FFVII, no Silent Hill, no Xenogears, no Mario 64, no Ocarina of Time, no Ico, no Resident Evil 4, noShadow of the Colossus, nothing! And No DS!

I'd say ask specific genres and see what people recommend. If a game is something shallow, like for example a racer, you're good to go with just the latest stuff I suppose, you don't have to dig out obscure classics. If the games involve great storylines and innovative or unique gameplay mechanics then you should probably experience some of the old stuff before you move on to the newer ones which are usually lesser in all aspects but the visuals. Usually.

But more than that, what are you interested in? You've said you've followed things somewhat, what would you rather get into? PC gaming or console gaming? If you say both I find PC/Wii a great combo, but you may also just get a 360/Wii and achieve a similar balance (skip PC then). If you can also afford a portable, the DS is the way to go.

How are you now financially? It's different to simply ask for catch up than ask for the best choice for you. If you're well off and can afford multiple systems, home and portables alike, or if you're also willing to buy older systems as well as newer, then the suggestions will be very different than if you can only have one new system max.

Ah it's so tough...

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Metasin

For pure variety and value get a PS2, that will give you backwards compatability for PS1 and a huge library of games of all types to choose from. There is a reason those things are still selling well two  years after its succesor hit the market.

GameON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GameON

Thanks for all the responses so far. Although I know we have barely scratched the surface it's certainly given me a good starting point! Please forgive me if this post becomes a little long.

@ IcemaelLind_L_Taylor, Shadow: Fortunately, my rock had Internet access and since I've always had a passion for gaming I've been able to keep up somewhat in the literary sense. But to say that I've had time to follow more recent generations as I did when I owned a Gamboy, Master System, SNES and Saturn, I can't.

@ Captain_Fookup: No doubt those games are worth a look. I see that you're a fan of shooters, but can I ask  why you listed Viva Pinata as well? Seems an interesting deviation from the rest of the pack.

@ Al3xand3r
: Ah, Shenmue! I would buy a Dreamcast tomorrow just to play those games. There are so many on that list that I would love to get, especially as they're from the time when I started to wane from the gaming inner sanctum (Though one might argue I was never there since I owned a Saturn.... "Someone with taste" sounds much better!)
    I do not own that Saturn anymore but I had some of the games you mentioned, such as Virtual On, Megamix and I had friends who had games like Daytona (Ever ingraining 'Rolling Start' in my mind). I'd love to get a replacement Saturn eventually. Was the Dreamcast not backwards-compatible?
    When you talk about a game that has not aged well, are you talking about visually or in the gameplay? I will play anything really. I suffered through 'The Last Ninja', and controls don't come more ghastly then that.
    As for my situation, it's still not great but I hope to be upgrading PC soon. Nothing fancy, but hopefully able to manage the Valve catalogue and CoD4 as Captain_Fookup suggested. And aside from that, I figure that finding a cheap PS2 and/or Dreamcast would be a good compliment until can afford a current-gen system setup and I probably should wait until I can get a TV that does HD shenanigans etc.
    Not too big on portable games (need new glasses as it is), but basically any platform goes as long as I can find it cheap enough. I'd love to have a collect of of older systems tucked away.
    Best not to get get caught up in the details right now though ;-) . I'd really love just to hear everyone's opinions on both personal and generally acclaimed games.

@ ishotmrburns: I played the Sims for a while a long time ago, and I think I have the disc (No serial number for unlocking though). Can I ask what makes GTA 3 the stand out in the series for you? I ask as it's the one I know least about.

@ Jensonb
, lamegame621: You'll be relieved to know I had the privilidge of playing the first two Half Life games, but plenty of time after their initial release so perhaps I missed the experience that so many relate when talking about them. Not to say I didn't enjoy them though.

@ JacobBroderson, Metasin : The PS2 does sound like a good deal, and I think I've seen them flying around the internet for dirt cheap. I will see what I can dig out.

@ Black_Rose: Okami is a title that I have heard a lot about (Not just because of IGN watermarks) and the Metroid Prime series. 'No More Heroes' I have no clue about, but Dead Rising and Burnout look like bargins. The last Zelda I played was 'Link's Awakening' so a vast dungeon grind seems a bit intimidating, but perhaps it's the influence of so much time gone by.

@ Commando : My friend had it, so apparently I can live to see another day!

Sorry if this post became a touch derailed and garbled, but since the two previous attempts to post this has resulted in losing all I wrote, I was in a rush to post it once and for all!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187

Scud the Disposable Assassin LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA!!!

I miss my Saturn.  Maybe I'll dig it out again sometime in the coming months and play some Virtual-On and Scud!
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

The DC is more like a classic system to keep. It died early so didn't get a massive library of titles like Sony's machine. It also wasn't backwards compatible sadly. So I think you're better off getting a PS2 for now since you say you won't get a current gen system to start with, and you'll upgrade your PC for more modern gaming. The PS2 does play PS1 games also so you can get some of those classics like Grandia, Xenogears, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Vagrant Story, Metal Gear Solid, and others I mentioned, while it has a vast library of good games of its own as it really dominated that generation. Personally I didn't have a PS2, I got my first PC around the same time as the DC so when that died I wasn't compelled enough to buy the console that killed it, but in later years it got some Sega love also in the form of a Rez port, Virtua Fighter 4, and other worthy titles. Not all though, I don't think Skies of Arcadia was put on the PS2 after the DC, only the GameCube.

On the other hand, if you upgrade to a powerful PC, maybe you can get by with the emulation of older systems like the original PlayStation making that compatibility plus void. Perhaps that will be enough even up to the PlayStation 2 (I don't know how good emulators are for that, but for PS1 they're near perfect) if you pair it with a decent controller for the PC, letting you raise money for a current gen system faster. Always in legal ways of course, only if you actually buy the games you emulate :)

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By papercut

Kane and Lynch

we wouldn't be here talking about this if it wasn't for that game

Food

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Food

I actually envy you.  You have a ton of great games to experience for the first time.  I would look through a site like metacritics and play the top rated games in the order they were released.

Retrogimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#25  Edited By Retrogimp

Have you played any Resident Evil games? They're unmatched and develop an amazing story over the whole series.

Retrogimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Retrogimp
Commando said:
"Nintendo 64: Goldeneye. If you haven't played that you don't deserve to live"
Oh, and what he said.... but less harsh.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By meteora

Shit, there's actually somebody out there that owns a Sega Saturn aside from me.

For getting back and starting off in the gaming world, I agree with most of the posters here. Get a PS2. It's compatible with the games on the previous console so there's a huge library at your expense, most of which are dirt cheap at this point (including the console itself). There's tons of great titles on the PS2 so it'll get you started. If you want to move onto the next-gen gaming it'll depend on what you want to experience as all three systems have their differences, it does boil down to the games but secondary functions and the price tags do count.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Wolverine

Probably Halo 2 because of it's online multi-player.

GameON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GameON
jakob187 said:
"Scud the Disposable Assassin LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA!!!
Never heared of that game and sadly the Giantbomb wiki page for it is pretty blank.

@ Al3xand3r: I probably will get a PS2 ahead of a Dreamcast, but I have to own one eventually. I remember coveting it since it was the next step up, but you're right, it seems like it would be the prestige of owning the original system that appeals rather than the releases.
    Emulation would be an option, but the excitement of hunting the console and games down and setting it all up is really appealing to me. I haven't held an old-school controller in years.

papercut said:
"Kane and Lynchwe wouldn't be here talking about this if it wasn't for that game"
But does it's infamy demand I that I suffer through it? That game certainly is a mixed blessing.

Retrogimp said:
"Have you played any Resident Evil games? They're unmatched and develop an amazing story over the whole series."
I owned RE1 for the Saturn, and had the pleasure of Barry's voice acting ("I hope this isn't Chris's blood!"). Apart from 4, are the others worth playing through for the story?

Meteora said:
"Shit, there's actually somebody out there that owns a Sega Saturn aside from me.For getting back and starting off in the gaming world, I agree with most of the posters here. Get a PS2. It's compatible with the games on the previous console so there's a huge library at your expense, most of which are dirt cheap at this point (including the console itself). There's tons of great titles on the PS2 so it'll get you started. If you want to move onto the next-gen gaming it'll depend on what you want to experience as all three systems have their differences, it does boil down to the games but secondary functions and the price tags do count."
It looks like a PS2 is in order initially from all the responses. Out of curiousity, how is the backwards-compatiblity of the PS3? I hear that it is not so hot though.

Wolverine said:
"Probably Halo 2 because of it's online multi-player."
With the advent of Halo 3, are many people in the servers?
Tom_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Tom_H
ishotmrburns said:
"I could probably list hundreds of games I consider important, but I'll limit it to what I consider the top 5 most important releases of the last decade or so:
  • Grand Theft Auto III
  • Half-Life
  • Ocarina of Time
  • The Sims
  • Super Mario 64
"
I agree with that list. I'd probably substitute Sims for something else like Resident Evil though.
DevilishSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By DevilishSix
GameON said:
"... and I thought to myself, "Well, the Saturn was not released too long ago. Was it?". Well after a glance over the wiki page and reminiscing about games I enjoyed like Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally, and Steep Slope Sliders, I realize that this is all about 15 years ago.     Needless to say I've missed out on many monumental titles, but I was curious to ask about opinions on what you consider to be the most important releases of the past decade or so, and what game stands out to you on a personal level."

Radiant Silvergun was one of the greatest SCHUMPS of all time....man I miss that game.

As far as greatest titles over the last decade.....Here are my monumental titles (only opinion):

Xbox - Halo 1 & 2  (1 because it reinvented console shooters and 2 because it redefined multiplayer console shooters)

Gamecube - Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime

PS2 - God of War and FF7

X360 - Gears of War

Wii - SSBB and SMG

PS3 - Killzone 2
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TwoOneFive

what did you do for all these years?

Retrogimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Retrogimp

Hmm... that depends how much you enjoyed that first game. If you really liked it then I would say 'yeah, defo get the others'. But, if you weren't particularly awed by it then you probs could give them a miss and it wouldn't be that big a deal. In all honesty the original Resi is the only one I haven't played, but they remastered it on the Gamecube, and boy, was that a scary ass game.

GameON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GameON
@ Food : Sorry, I missed your response there. I am going through gamerrankings too. Thanks for the suggestion.

@ DevilishSix: I think I need to start writing all these down somewhere. Cheers!

TwoOneFive
said:
"what did you do for all these years?"
Amongst other things, get married, have kids, leave the country ... You know, the usual.

Retrogimp said:
"Hmm... that depends how much you enjoyed that first game. If you really liked it then I would say 'yeah, defo get the others'. But, if you weren't particularly awed by it then you probs could give them a miss and it wouldn't be that big a deal. In all honesty the original Resi is the only one I haven't played, but they remastered it on the Gamecube, and boy, was that a scary ass game. "
  I never really got too deep into it actually. To be honest I am a bit of a coward, but it seems to me that the RE series has become less about the atmosphere and exploration and more about action etc.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince

Metal Gear?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By BiggerBomb
Shadow said:
"....how in the frozen over hell did you find this website then?"

That's the million dollar question.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By Claude

Wait until the next gen... it will be better. Wii HD anyone?

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By meteora
GameON said:
"jakob187 said:

It looks like a PS2 is in order initially from all the responses. Out of curiousity, how is the backwards-compatiblity of the PS3? I hear that it is not so hot though.

I'm not very clear on that myself, but I think a few versions have it and some do not. If I recall correctly the cheaper version generally do not have backwards-compatibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3#Retail_configurations

Nevermind, the newer versions do not have them so it seems. The older ones that do have it aren't in production anymore.

I really wished Sony didn't fiddle around so much with the PS3 by having 6 different versions of them...
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39  Edited By jakob187
Claude said:
"Wait until the next gen... it will be better. Wii HD anyone?"
Don't you mean H-Wii?
GameON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GameON
LiquidPrince said:
"Metal Gear?"
Pre-Solid?

Claude said:
"Wait until the next gen... it will be better. Wii HD anyone?"
Well, I am really talking about games on current or older platforms that I missed out on.

Meteora said:
"GameON said:
"jakob187 said:

I'm not very clear on that myself, but I think a few versions have it and some do not. If I recall correctly the cheaper version generally do not have backwards-compatibility.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3#Retail_configurationsNevermind, the newer versions do not have them so it seems. The older ones that do have it aren't in production anymore.I really wished Sony didn't fiddle around so much with the PS3 by having 6 different versions of them..."
Ah, that's a shame. I am a little concerned for the preservation of older titles, and I don't particularly want to go the route of Virtual Console and pay for a ROM that years later I will not be able to play. Same with DLC and the current gen of DLC and patching titles post-launch.

But this is from a gamer from an era of only carts and CDs...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LiquidPrince
GameON said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"Metal Gear?"
Pre-Solid?
Both?
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By Claude

Dude, I've played a lot of consoles and you can't go wrong with the PS2. I mean... I'm a big nintendo fan, but damn. PS2 had a lot of games and a lot of genres. I also think it can scale well with modern tvs, but not sure... maybe 720p at least. Yeah... go with that.

If you have an HDTV, go straight to a PS3 and don't look back. There are enough multi platform games to suit your leisure and some exclusives. I don't have an HDTV, so I'm with the Wii and Xbox 360, but I would buy a PS3 only because it would suit my needs... even before an HDTV. Games come first, but if you can... make the console work for you.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#43  Edited By gla55jAw

It seems like everyone has already said what I think but, I would definetly go for a PS2. There are just SO many games you can get, and alot for cheap, $5-$10. You can play the entire PS1 collection. Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, RPGs, Adventure games, Any Fighting game, the list is endless. For the price or less, than a PS3/360 game you can buy a PS2!

Also look into a Dreamcast. I never had one until last year when I picked one up on ebay for $20. (psst if your decent with computers...you can dl and burn the entire Dreamcast Library to CDs!)

Hell, even the original xbox is selling for $50 at gamestop. I might pick one up just for those non 360 compatable games.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#44  Edited By meptron

I'm sorry to hear that... what made you decide to buy a Saturn anyways? Perhaps you didn't hear that Nintendo IS what Genesisn't?

Karmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Karmann

dude, get a slim ps2, they're like 100 bucks new, and most of the greatest games of the last decade are on it, and they sell for like 19 bucks a pop. Get Grand Theft Auto Vice CityMetal Gear Solid: The Essential CollectionOkamiShadow of the ColossusFinal Fantasy XGod of War, God of War 2,Gran Turismo 3, Katamari. I think that AFTER those, if you're still interested, then it might be worth the investment to go "next gen"/current gen.
If you have to narrow that down, then start with  MGS3:subsistence, and Shadow of the Colossus.

...what's with the fonts?!? crazy

Retrogimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Retrogimp
GameON said:
"@ Food : Sorry, I missed your response there. I am going through gamerrankings too. Thanks for the suggestion.

@ DevilishSix: I think I need to start writing all these down somewhere. Cheers!

TwoOneFive
said:
"what did you do for all these years?"
Amongst other things, get married, have kids, leave the country ... You know, the usual.

Retrogimp said:
"Hmm... that depends how much you enjoyed that first game. If you really liked it then I would say 'yeah, defo get the others'. But, if you weren't particularly awed by it then you probs could give them a miss and it wouldn't be that big a deal. In all honesty the original Resi is the only one I haven't played, but they remastered it on the Gamecube, and boy, was that a scary ass game. "
  I never really got too deep into it actually. To be honest I am a bit of a coward, but it seems to me that the RE series has become less about the atmosphere and exploration and more about action etc."
Yeah, your probs best stickin' with 4 then, and obviously at some point 5 which will be released this week. Anyways, hope this was helpful, I'll let you get on with your gaming lol.
GameON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GameON
LiquidPrince said:
"Both?"
Sold :) Though next question, dogs or no dogs?

Claude said:
"Dude, I've played a lot of consoles and you can't go wrong with the PS2. I mean... I'm a big nintendo fan, but damn. PS2 had a lot of games and a lot of genres. I also think it can scale well with modern tvs, but not sure... maybe 720p at least. Yeah... go with that. If you have an HDTV, go straight to a PS3 and don't look back. There are enough multi platform games to suit your leisure and some exclusives. I don't have an HDTV, so I'm with the Wii and Xbox 360, but I would buy a PS3 only because it would suit my needs... even before an HDTV. Games come first, but if you can... make the console work for you."
After reading that only some PS3 come with backward-compatibility, I am a little put off. There are a few titles I'd love to play, but I do not have a HDTV yet so not sure it's an option yet.

gla55jAw said:
"It seems like everyone has already said what I think but, I would definetly go for a PS2. There are just SO many games you can get, and alot for cheap, $5-$10. You can play the entire PS1 collection. Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, RPGs, Adventure games, Any Fighting game, the list is endless. For the price or less, than a PS3/360 game you can buy a PS2! Also look into a Dreamcast. I never had one until last year when I picked one up on ebay for $20. (psst if your decent with computers...you can dl and burn the entire Dreamcast Library to CDs!)Hell, even the original xbox is selling for $50 at gamestop. I might pick one up just for those non 360 compatable games."
I was checking out the priced on Dreamcasts, and was pleasantly surprised! I am definately springing for one at the end of the month. Possibly a PS2 as well, although probably not new. I just need to find a way to play on my LCD and I'd be set!
I am also going to have a run into my local cluster of EB Games and Gamestops, hunting for bargins, despite what I have heard about them.

Meptron said:
"I'm sorry to hear that... what made you decide to buy a Saturn anyways? Perhaps you didn't hear that Nintendo IS what Genesisn't?"
Haha. I've gotten that a lot over the years, especially from friends that owned PS1s back then. I had a SNES, but perhaps growing up with a Master System and the arcades filled with Sega machines I was enamored with Sega. I can't say that I regret it either. I can take or leave Sonic though ...

Karmann said:
"dude, get a slim ps2, they're like 100 bucks new, and most of the greatest games of the last decade are on it, and they sell for like 19 bucks a pop. Get Grand Theft Auto Vice CityMetal Gear Solid: The Essential CollectionOkamiShadow of the ColossusFinal Fantasy XGod of War, God of War 2,Gran Turismo 3, Katamari. I think that AFTER those, if you're still interested, then it might be worth the investment to go "next gen"/current gen.
If you have to narrow that down, then start with  MGS3:subsistence, and Shadow of the Colossus.

...what's with the fonts?!? crazy
"
Thanks for taking the time to link those up too. Good suggestions. I will pick them all up if I can. Though, Final Fantasy X? You'd reccommned it over VII?

@ Retrogimp: Cheers for your input. It's been very, very helpful. I might go back to RE1 and see if I have any fond memories and go from there.

Conan1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Conan1111

Buy a 360 and a PS2 (or PS3 w/ backwards compatability) and you'll have tons of great games to choose from.