The Late Game Completathon V1!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Edited By Yummylee

I'm not so much of a completionist, but I do tend to at least get the main focus of the game all under wraps. Be it the main storyline, that high score and ect. Some games though really tend to slip by my attention and stay stuck on THE ''to play'' shelf trapped in the past and becoming more and more invisible by the day. With such a gaming drought however, least for me, that called upon to finally bring forth those games...and complete these once forgotten stowaways! 

First I have: 

The Saboteur for the ps3.  

Aye, chew you up I will!
 Aye, chew you up I will!

Why it took so long? - I was nearing the end of The Saboteur once during the days of my phatty Mc butterpants 60GB ps3. Once that was replaced and I didn't archive my saved files that obviously left me with having to start from the veeeery beginning...which for some games is not so bad considering how enjoyable the ride can be anyway, but The Saboteur unfortunately isn't really one of those games. With the act of destroying Nazi installations and listening to Irish cliche' being the draw point, it's a pretty tough attempt to keep myself stuck in once I've basically saw all this already.  
But thankfully...I completed it. The main campaign anyway, to which I did also do my fare share of freeplay sabotage and reached alot of the Gold Perks aswell, along the way.

What I thought - The Saboteur is a really fun game...for its first playthrough. It has the potential to really standout with its combination of 1940s style, an Irish protagonist and an open world game but with stealth playing a key part within its world. The shooting's great, the drivings tolerable (least until you have to go through those free-play races to which the driving reveals itself to be terrible) but the stealth is absolute shite as the Irish charmer himself would put it. So undeveloped and pointless in some aspects, it's incredibly frustrating when missions do promote the use of stealth but fall short because of how clumsy the stealth mechanics are to begin with. 
The story is also really enjoyable and the main motivation as was to what kept me going. Sean's a raging stereotype but you can't get any better than an Irish stereotype. Plus he's a well voiced one with alot of character and hilarious lines. And much like Ryan states on his review, the ending mission for Saboteur really is a haunting experience I'd advise everyone make the push to get to if they are playing through The Saboteur or plan to. 

Will I play through it again? - Ar ya outa ya fkin moind mert? The gameplay got repetitive before I even reached its conclusion and I've just about blown up my last Nazi sniper tower for a long while. 

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 for the ps3.  

Hay if I can have natural purple hair, then I damn well should be able to fly too! Have you not been to Japan??
Hay if I can have natural purple hair, then I damn well should be able to fly too! Have you not been to Japan??

Why it took so long? - As anyone who's played the NG games might think it was down to difficulty, though anyone who has also played NGS2 could easily cross that excuse off. NGS2 having a strong departure from its initial blood boiling difficulty opted for a somewhat challenging setting but still accomplish-able by most players. NGS2 just couldn't keep me stuck in, however. The combats fast paced with plenty of combos, even if I relied on only a handful. Great assortment of weapons, responsive controls though it still would get a little repetitive. The environments that look like they're out of a ps2 game complete with non-interactive (minus the dreadful platforming abilities) and barely detailed areas to hack through didn't tempt me back, either. The story also is silly, but not on the DMC kind of silly, more just the nonsensical ''Wut??'' kind. There's plenty of melon boobs but other than that the cutscenes might aswell not exist. 

What I thought - Is nosa bad. I was kind of glad that it was over, though to be truthful. It drags on for maybe a couple of hours too much, and while there's some decent enemy variety the ending segments just give you uber powered versions of enemies you've already faced. And again, graphics are bleh and washed out, the environments are shoddy and the story is stupid. But gameplay wise it's a fine hack n slash game. I prefer my Dante to Ryu though ;P 

Will I play through it again? - Maybe...After some time. There is still plenty of weapons I barely even tried, let alone made use of. The unlockable costumes are neat too, and who knows...maybe I may try out the cooperative missions one day. 

Darksiders for the Xbox 360.  

Seems Ganon can turn into just about anything these days! Noo wait a sec..

Why it took so long? - Have you seen the amount of collectibles it has?? I can only search the entire world once before I'll give myself a break. Plus...those...damn...portal pistol puzzles! Also I strangely started the game straight from its hardest difficulty, I think from an advisement off the GT review so there might be a segment I was stuck on just for a little. 

What I thought - It's fuckin' great! Despite starting off kind of shallow and button mashy, it then leads to you gaining a new ability per every dungeon and not to mention with a ton of combo abilities to purchase aswell. Colourful graphics, an entertaining storyline and then of course a horde, as large as the army of hell itself, of crap to hunt down and find made this game well worth the £10 I bought it for ;P. Will perch itself on my top 10 for 2010 list too more than likely and I'll storing a special selection of hype exclusively for its inevitable sequel aswell <3

Will I play through it again? - Since I started the game straight from its highest difficulty, it's very doubtful. Rather I'll just load up my 2nd save file right before the end and try and collect the few missing pieces. Shame there'll be no DLC =/ 

Games I'll soon be adding to my overdue completathon! 

• Gears of War 2.
  • Kane and Lynch.
  • BioShock 2
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Yummylee

I'm not so much of a completionist, but I do tend to at least get the main focus of the game all under wraps. Be it the main storyline, that high score and ect. Some games though really tend to slip by my attention and stay stuck on THE ''to play'' shelf trapped in the past and becoming more and more invisible by the day. With such a gaming drought however, least for me, that called upon to finally bring forth those games...and complete these once forgotten stowaways! 

First I have: 

The Saboteur for the ps3.  

Aye, chew you up I will!
 Aye, chew you up I will!

Why it took so long? - I was nearing the end of The Saboteur once during the days of my phatty Mc butterpants 60GB ps3. Once that was replaced and I didn't archive my saved files that obviously left me with having to start from the veeeery beginning...which for some games is not so bad considering how enjoyable the ride can be anyway, but The Saboteur unfortunately isn't really one of those games. With the act of destroying Nazi installations and listening to Irish cliche' being the draw point, it's a pretty tough attempt to keep myself stuck in once I've basically saw all this already.  
But thankfully...I completed it. The main campaign anyway, to which I did also do my fare share of freeplay sabotage and reached alot of the Gold Perks aswell, along the way.

What I thought - The Saboteur is a really fun game...for its first playthrough. It has the potential to really standout with its combination of 1940s style, an Irish protagonist and an open world game but with stealth playing a key part within its world. The shooting's great, the drivings tolerable (least until you have to go through those free-play races to which the driving reveals itself to be terrible) but the stealth is absolute shite as the Irish charmer himself would put it. So undeveloped and pointless in some aspects, it's incredibly frustrating when missions do promote the use of stealth but fall short because of how clumsy the stealth mechanics are to begin with. 
The story is also really enjoyable and the main motivation as was to what kept me going. Sean's a raging stereotype but you can't get any better than an Irish stereotype. Plus he's a well voiced one with alot of character and hilarious lines. And much like Ryan states on his review, the ending mission for Saboteur really is a haunting experience I'd advise everyone make the push to get to if they are playing through The Saboteur or plan to. 

Will I play through it again? - Ar ya outa ya fkin moind mert? The gameplay got repetitive before I even reached its conclusion and I've just about blown up my last Nazi sniper tower for a long while. 

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 for the ps3.  

Why it took so long? - As anyone who's played the NG games might think it was down to difficulty, though anyone who has also played NGS2 could easily cross that excuse off. NGS2 having a strong departure from its initial blood boiling difficulty opted for a somewhat challenging setting but still accomplish-able by most players. NGS2 just couldn't keep me stuck in, however. The combats fast paced with plenty of combos, even if I relied on only a handful. Great assortment of weapons, responsive controls though it still would get a little repetitive. The environments that look like they're out of a ps2 game complete with non-interactive (minus the dreadful platforming abilities) and barely detailed areas to hack through didn't tempt me back, either. The story also is silly, but not on the DMC kind of silly, more just the nonsensical ''Wut??'' kind. There's plenty of melon boobs but other than that the cutscenes might aswell not exist. 

What I thought - Is nosa bad. I was kind of glad that it was over, though to be truthful. It drags on for maybe a couple of hours too much, and while there's some decent enemy variety the ending segments just give you uber powered versions of enemies you've already faced. And again, graphics are bleh and washed out, the environments are shoddy and the story is stupid. But gameplay wise it's a fine hack n slash game. I prefer my Dante to Ryu though ;P 

Will I play through it again? - Maybe...After some time. There is still plenty of weapons I barely even tried, let alone made use of. The unlockable costumes are neat too, and who knows...maybe I may try out the cooperative missions one day. 

Darksiders for the Xbox 360.  

Why it took so long? - Have you seen the amount of collectibles it has?? I can only search the entire world once before I'll give myself a break. Plus...those...damn...portal pistol puzzles! Also I strangely started the game straight from its hardest difficulty, I think from an advisement off the GT review so there might be a segment I was stuck on just for a little. 

What I thought - It's fuckin' great! Despite starting off kind of shallow and button mashy, it then leads to you gaining a new ability per every dungeon and not to mention with a ton of combo abilities to purchase aswell. Colourful graphics, an entertaining storyline and then of course a horde, as large as the army of hell itself, of crap to hunt down and find made this game well worth the £10 I bought it for ;P. Will perch itself on my top 10 for 2010 list too more than likely and I'll storing a special selection of hype exclusively for its inevitable sequel aswell <3

Will I play through it again? - Since I started the game straight from its highest difficulty, it's very doubtful. Rather I'll just load up my 2nd save file right before the end and try and collect the few missing pieces. Shame there'll be no DLC =/ 

Games I'll soon be adding to my overdue completathon! 

• Gears of War 2.
  • Kane and Lynch.
  • BioShock 2
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By gingertastic_10

Great read dude. I completely agree with what you said on The Saboteur. I didn't care for the what 900 challenges where you had to blow shit up. That got old, fast.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yummylee
@gingertastic_10 said:
" Great read dude. I completely agree with what you said on The Saboteur. I didn't care for the what 900 challenges where you had to blow shit up. That got old, fast. "
A thank you very mooch! And absolutely. The stiff animations for climbing up buildings made it all the more of a hassle too. My eyes would always shine with joy once I spotted one of those propaganda speaks you can just ram through with your car!
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By gingertastic_10
@Abyssfull said:
" @gingertastic_10 said:
" Great read dude. I completely agree with what you said on The Saboteur. I didn't care for the what 900 challenges where you had to blow shit up. That got old, fast. "
A thank you very mooch! And absolutely. The stiff animations for climbing up buildings made it all the more of a hassle too. My eyes would always shine with joy once I spotted one of those propaganda speaks you can just ram through with your car! "
He's so slow on climbing. If you look at Infamous or something that movement is really quick. It makes it really hard to get away from enemies when the they do catch you running over those speakers. And running pisses the German's off. Running. Fuck.
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@Abyssfull: I like what you're doing with this.  Keep making these; I'll certainly keep reading them and commenting.  And give the games you don't want any more to me! :P 

@S_M_S: You should have got it for PC when it was $2.50 on steam a while back.  Provided, of course, you have a decent PC.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Awesome stuff!! I haven't even played those games yet. I'm currently playing through Viking: Battle for Asgard so yay for late game completathons ;)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

I will keep The Saboteur on my mind. I still think I would like it. But as games like that go, I got to be in the mood and not playing another of the same style. Still need to finish Red Dead Redemption. Great post, good read and.... like the style.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Darksiders was a game that I drifted away from for a long time, too. I'm not really sure why, but I guess I just got distracted by other games. Only a few weeks ago did I actually go back and finish it, and I agree that it is a great game in spite of being extremely derivative of things like Zelda and God of War.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee
@Chaser324 said:
" Darksiders was a game that I drifted away from for a long time, too. I'm not really sure why, but I guess I just got distracted by other games. Only a few weeks ago did I actually go back and finish it, and I agree that it is a great game in spite of being extremely derivative of things like Zelda and God of War. "
Its easy to spot its influences but they're handled so well that they don't stick out, least not for me. They were more of a tribute than a blatant copy of ideas I'd say with enough of its own twist added in to keep a unique identity.

@Claude said:
" I will keep The Saboteur on my mind. I still think I would like it. But as games like that go, I got to be in the mood and not playing another of the same style. Still need to finish Red Dead Redemption. Great post, good read and.... like the style. "
Thanks, cheers and I like that you like it.

Thing with Saboteur is it's really not game you can go the whole stretch with. I'd only put in like an hour at a time and with it being alot longer than you'd think, can really last you a few weeks when you're actually intending to complete it. 

@mylifeforAiur said:
" Awesome stuff!! I haven't even played those games yet. I'm currently playing through Viking: Battle for Asgard so yay for late game completathons ;) "

Indeedly. I've only heard nasty things about Battle for Asgard so good luck with that one =P 

@InfamousBIG:
Thanks. And well how can I not with such kind praise? =O 

@S_M_S said:
" You think you're late? I'm gonna get GTA IV soon! "
Least it should be one that was very worth the wait ;P It's a little stiff with its gunplay so might be tougher to stick it out with than you'd expect.
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
@Abyssfull: 
Yeah, Darksiders is a lot like Dead Space in that way. Dead Space was basically RE4 in space, but it was so well done that you couldn't really fault it too much for being unoriginal.
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bed

i've been borrowing my friend's NGS2 for about 8 months now. i've played through through the game twice soo if you need somebody to play co op with.. 

*whistles*  

great read, though. it makes me want to play The Saboteur even more :< 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yummylee
@AjayRaz said:
" i've been borrowing my friend's NGS2 for about 8 months now. i've played through through the game twice soo if you need somebody to play co op with..  *whistles*   great read, though. it makes me want to play The Saboteur even more :<  "
Sounds alritey. Goes without saying that Ayane is your bouncy babe of choice =P. No quarrels though because I like that one who can do the double jump, myself <3 Mika, Minja, Max or whatever her name is.

@Chaser324 said:
" @Abyssfull:  Yeah, Darksiders is a lot like Dead Space in that way. Dead Space was basically RE4 in space, but it was so well done that you couldn't really fault it too much for being unoriginal. "
Absotively. Too bad Dante's Inferno couldn't do as well. Going by the demo alone, it didn't nearly compare to the gameplay of GoW.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By MysteriousBob

YOU MADE ME LOOK AT A DEAD OR ALIVE CHARACTER YOU ASSHOLE MY EYES ARE SOILED 

Uhh, seriously though. I don't consider any of these 'late'.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yummylee
@MysteriousBob:  
I mean more that they've been on my shelf barely touched for aaages now, rather than me catching up with some oldies like I may of accidentally insinuated @.@
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CaptainObvious

Ohh Darksiders, how I love you. If you ever decide to play through Darksiders for the second time, you'll have Abyssal Armor from the start. Provided you got it on your first playthrough of course.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Yummylee
@CaptainObvious said:
" Ohh Darksiders, how I love you. If you ever decide to play through Darksiders for the second time, you'll have Abyssal Armor from the start. Provided you got it on your first playthrough of course. "
Nope not yet. I have around 7 pieces I think. Part of the many loose collectibles I have my minor OCD to push me into getting. If the Abyssal armour is as kickass as I'm expecting, judging from the effort to collect the fuckin thing, then I may very well give it another go. Is it only the armour or can you start straight with all your combat abilities too?
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaptainObvious
@Abyssfull said:
" @CaptainObvious said:
" Ohh Darksiders, how I love you. If you ever decide to play through Darksiders for the second time, you'll have Abyssal Armor from the start. Provided you got it on your first playthrough of course. "
Nope not yet. I have around 7 pieces I think. Part of the many loose collectibles I have my minor OCD to push me into getting. If the Abyssal armour is as kickass as I'm expecting, judging from the effort to collect the fuckin thing, then I may very well give it another go. Is it only the armour or can you start straight with all your combat abilities too? "
You only get the armor, but it's as kickass as you expect it to be.