• 64 results
#1 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

#2 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

After reading about the "Retake Mass Effect" charity/protest (Thanks to for posting it in the forums), I can't help but be happy about the whole protest. Regardless of all the hate and vitriol that has been poured on Bioware and EA over ME3 and for their behavior in general regarding their former games, seeing this protest turn into a charity drive with an alternative mission seems like a great idea to me.

I've seen commenters say everything from, "This is a crass reason to give money to a charity," to "People are just doing this out of a sense of entitlement," but frankly, I just don't understand the counter-protest. People are upset and as a way of showing how upset they are, they are giving money to charity. That's brilliant. It keeps not only a tally of how many people are participating in the protest, but also allows people to attribute a dollar amount to their grievance. After all, you can't "unbuy" the game, so why not put up money to show how serious you are, and do it for a good cause! I think it's funny, clever, and a great channeling of critic frustration. I'm in love with the idea.

Others are definitely not, and this opinion is not uncommon.

I hate to offer Jim Sterling a soap box for any reason, but he seems to be distilling a the sentiment of the counter-protest well enough, albeit, in a very immature manner. (As though there was any other kind of Jim Sterling article). http://www.destructoid.com/raging-mass-effect-3-fans-do-something-for-charity-223811.phtml

The group -- which was founded on the principle that Mass Effect 3's ending ruined an entire game series and undid all the fun everyone had -- raised over $26,000 for Child's Play in under 24 hours. It would've been more, but members were too busy seeking a public pat on the head for it.

I don't personally understand that kind of caustic response. As much as people might think protesting ME3's ending is silly, pointless, mewling, or any other negative adjective, what harm comes from protesting, especially when a charity is benefiting from it? Even if the charity drive was started purely to stop people from claiming that these angered fans are "entitled," what harm is being cause? I just don't see it. (As of right now it's at $32,270 for 1243 people in just two days. Crazy.)

I haven't finished ME3 yet. I'm about 13 hours in and I have yet to form a final opinion about the title, but all the hubbub about the ending finale has gotten me really interested to see it play through.

What do you think? Are you with the crew that thinks this protest and charity drive is a foul thing? Or do you see no harm in it? Or, like me, do you think it's great?

#3 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

its great. its helping kids. helping give attention to upset fans, a very small minority of the upset fans are behaving that way, you can't generalize all the upset fans because a few are being childish dicks about it. hell its even in biowares best interest to offer an alternative ending DLC, im sure tons of people will buy it (myself included). yeah people will whine about having to "buy the real ending" and stuff, but whatever, they'll get over it and buy it too.

so yeah, all around a good thing. bethesda did it with broken steel in FO3. and dont give me the "they did that to sell you more DLC so they had to change it for DLC purposes" excuse jeff did, cus he's an idiot and wrong. none of the DLC in FO3 other than broken steel required the different ending, so uh? why did they have to change the ending for DLC? as its not necessary for any of the DLC? yeah, good job jeff. really did your research there bro.

#4 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

I'm really amazed at how almost completely even this response has been up to this point.

#5 Posted by Cheesebob (1235 posts) -

The sense of entitlement is excruciating and pisses me off. However if the result of this is that charities get money, who am I to argue?

#6 Edited by Sammo21 (3251 posts) -

Helping sick kids is great. Still whining like an entitled brat is not. I'm going to say this is bad as well. Get the hell over it and go read a book, and the ME books don't count.

@Clonedzero: Guess what? Fallout 3's new ending sucked, so yeah.

#7 Posted by Jimbo (9796 posts) -

Funny if Child's Play use it to buy loads of copies of ME3.

#8 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I think the ending is dreadful but I don't want a new one? Why? because the damage is done, BioWare made a shitty ending and they can't rectify it now, it's too late, that ending was in the original game so my experience with that terrible ending isn't going anywhere.

It's good the charity is getting some money, but seeing people demand a new ending is rather cringeworthy.

#9 Posted by Brodehouse (9776 posts) -

Jim Sterling calling anyone else arrogant.

Cheque, please!

#10 Edited by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

I feel good about how much money they've raised for Child's Play, a good charitable foundation, but I feel like people doing this are somewhat trying to guilt Bioware into changing the ending.

#11 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Jim Sterling calling anyone else arrogant. Cheque, please!

Agreed.

#12 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

Had no idea. This is very odd.

#13 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

People who didn't get enough value for their product are now spending more money to prove the point of "See, we would have paid anything if you would have just given us what we wanted and not dicked everyone over."

I hope it works out for them.

#14 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -

It's great that money is going to charity, but I do think that it's just a way of deflecting criticism.

#15 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Honestly, I'm really sick of even talking about how I dislike the ending. It's tired at this point. Let's just wait for something straight from BioWare. Let's all go back to doing more productive things until that time comes, eh?

#16 Posted by DonutFever (3550 posts) -
@Clonedzero said:

jeff did, cus he's an idiot and wrong.

Oh for fuck's sake.
#17 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

@DonutFever: im tired and cranky, leave me alone lol

#18 Posted by Grixxel (763 posts) -

I complained, bitched, was mad and all that about the ending and I still find this ridiculous. I'm all up for charity but this is so transparent it's not funny.

#19 Posted by InsidiousTuna (377 posts) -

I'm disgusted by the response the gaming community's had to the ending, but it's hard to attack these people for giving money to Child's Play.

#20 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Giving money to Charity is good and I'm glad to see that there's still some brains left in the whining idiots. 

#21 Posted by adoggz (2060 posts) -

Its pretty great. Someone has managed to get something good to come out of all the bitching at Bioware.

#22 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

@Sammo21 said:

Helping sick kids is great. Still whining like an entitled brat is not.

Charity and self-entitlement don't really go together.

#23 Posted by Irvandus (2875 posts) -

It's cool to see them giving money to charity but, over whining really? Can't you do it for a good reason? I don't know, it makes me kind of see them as self entitled douche-bags.

#24 Posted by HubrisRanger (486 posts) -

Hmmm. I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, it creates a positive outcome for what has otherwise been a pretty sad display of entitled fandom, focusing the knee-jerk "LETS MAKE A PETITION!" response to anything not to your liking into a positive endeavor. That is a good thing, cheers to whoever decided to do that.

But...yeah. The sub-text is still weirdly passive-aggressive, with a sub-text of "Look how much we care! We even are helping sick kids, we care soooo much! Balls in your court, Casey!" To even go out of your way and say that you recognize that the game is BioWare's to end however they see fit, but then go on to criticize it so fiercely just doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth.

I'm all for giving money to charity, and Child's Play is as good as one as any. But y'know...you can just GIVE money to Child's Play without making it some kind of stand about the end of a video game that wasn't to your liking.

#25 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

I haven't seen the ending yet, and I'm still not sure how I feel about changing the ending a lá Fallout 3. But either way, this is a nice way to vent some of that frustration.

#26 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (1027 posts) -

I really don't see the connection between Child's Play and dissatisfaction about the Mass Effect ending, I really don't. The whole thing seems like a smoke screen to me. "If you don't sign our petition to change the Mass Effect 3 ending, you hate children!" I mean really, what is the connection there?

#27 Posted by TheCableKid (206 posts) -

I think this is a repeated opinion but I love the charity work, the sense of entitlement can get really annoying.

#28 Posted by ShockD (2400 posts) -

Just... What am I reading here? I still don't get what is all this about.

#29 Posted by Quarters (1664 posts) -

Giving money to a charity is fantastic. However, if they really wanted to just give money, they would just do it. They are using this for their own selfish gain, in an attempt to morally blackmail Bioware into giving them what they want. It's really gross. They're using sick children as an altruistic shield for their own motives. Now, if Bioware doesn't respond, they look like douchebags. It's manipulative. Ugh.

#30 Posted by Phatmac (5724 posts) -

Changing the ending to Mass Effect 3 is probably the stupidest thing that I've heard in a long while. It's the worst part of the internet, the angry little shits that didn't get what they want and now want to change it for their liking. I admit that the ending is bad, but Mass Effect 3 is still a damned good game. That ending doesn't ruin the franchise. I hope this shit dies down eventually so the internet can find something else to hate on. While this is great news charity wise, I hate that we still have to hear about people complaining about the ending to a video game. You can complain and do what you like, but this shit is getting old fast.

#31 Posted by Marlowefire (154 posts) -

This feels like ransom. Either bio ware makes the changes or doesn't and then these people will say that bioware hates children or doesn't care about kids.

#32 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

Changing the ending to Mass Effect 3 is probably the stupidest thing that I've heard in a long while. It's the worst part of the internet, the angry little shits that didn't get what they want and now want to change it for their liking. I admit that the ending is bad, but Mass Effect 3 is still a damned good game. That ending doesn't ruin the franchise. I hope this shit dies down eventually so the internet can find something else to hate on. While this is great news charity wise, I hate that we still have to hear about people complaining about the ending to a video game. You can complain and do what you like, but this shit is getting old fast.

But when a ending is as bad as ME3. It is like you watched the original 3 star wars movies, only to have the movie cut out right before the unmasking of darth vadar. It is insultingly stupid that ME3 did this. It was no Polarizing. It is just fucking stupid with the amount of plot holes and how the entire thing went down.

Ever read the dark tower series? That entire ending sucked, but in a good way that made you interested. Mass Effect couldn't even do that. Hell, it truly is more of a dream scene than anything else, it is truly that amazingly dumb.

Seriously, why play the games anymore if the ending is going to be that? Why should I?

#33 Posted by SSully (4147 posts) -

This is really shitty. They are self entitled bitches and are using this charity as a shield to basically stop people from calling them self entitled. I am glad money is going to charity, but damn it the reason for it is horrible.

#34 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@Phatmac said:

But when a ending is as bad as ME3. It is like you watched the original 3 star wars movies, only to have the movie cut out right before the unmasking of darth vadar. It is insultingly stupid that ME3 did this. It was no Polarizing. It is just fucking stupid with the amount of plot holes and how the entire thing went down.

Ever read the dark tower series? That entire ending sucked, but in a good way that made you interested. Mass Effect couldn't even do that. Hell, it truly is more of a dream scene than anything else, it is truly that amazingly dumb.

Seriously, why play the games anymore if the ending is going to be that? Why should I?

Because not playing any more games because of one bad ending to a franchise is fucking idiotic? Bioware fucked up, big whoop. Doesn't justify what seems like the equivalent of emotional blackmail.

#35 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Now I've seen the end of ME3. That was pretty bad. The damage is already done, though.

#36 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@SSully said:

This is really shitty. They are self entitled bitches and are using this charity as a shield to basically stop people from calling them self entitled. I am glad money is going to charity, but damn it the reason for it is horrible.

@Quarters said:

Giving money to a charity is fantastic. However, if they really wanted to just give money, they would just do it. They are using this for their own selfish gain, in an attempt to morally blackmail Bioware into giving them what they want. It's really gross. They're using sick children as an altruistic shield for their own motives. Now, if Bioware doesn't respond, they look like douchebags. It's manipulative. Ugh.

Exactly.

#37 Posted by Karkarov (3056 posts) -

It is nice they are giving money to charity but it doesn't make their reasoning or the petition any less juvenile or self entitled. Don't get me wrong, I am not completely satisfied with the ending either. However I can understand why they did what they did and appreciate it for what it is.

#38 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@zombiebigfoot said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Phatmac said:

Because not playing any more games because of one bad ending to a franchise is fucking idiotic? Bioware fucked up, big whoop. Doesn't justify what seems like the equivalent of emotional blackmail.

No, I mean Mass Effect games. Why play them at all if I am just getting to one of the shittiest ending of a epic trilogy of the decade? It truly is an insulting ending and should be retconned by any means possible.

#39 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@zombiebigfoot said:

@Jay444111 said:

@Phatmac said:

No, I mean Mass Effect games. Why play them at all if I am just getting to one of the shittiest ending of a epic trilogy of the decade? It truly is an insulting ending and should be retconned by any means possible.

Missed the 'the'.

Then don't play them. Or don't play 3. Seriously, this isn't that big of a deal if you want to enjoy the other two games. And no it shouldn't. Just let them leave the game alone and move on.

#40 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

While I like to see frustration channeled into a positive outcome, I don't see why people think they have the right to a better ending. Sure, complain about it all you want, that's feedback. Maybe you deserve a better ending, but nothing gives you the right to commandeer creative control over someone else's creation.

#41 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

Jesus fuckin christ. This is such bullshit. 

Anybody who finds all this shit noble is just as ridiculous as the whining spoiled entitled brats. 

First off, their attempt to donate money to a charity is completely disingenuous. 

Secondly, because they're giving money to a charity some how makes up for the fact that people are being whiny bitches?

That's like sitting your spouse down in the living room to tell them you're cheating and then when they get pissed, you're response is "well i'm being honest about it, so all's forgiven right?"

Fuckin people man, i swear. Never cease to amaze me.

#42 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@hbkdx12 said:

Jesus fuckin christ. This is such bullshit. Anybody who finds all this shit noble is just as ridiculous as the whining spoiled entitled brats. First off, their attempt to donate money to a charity is completely disingenuous. Secondly, because they're giving money to a charity some how makes up for the fact that people are being whiny bitches? That's like sitting your spouse down in the living room to tell them you're cheating and then when they get pissed, you're response is "well i'm being honest about it, so all's forgiven right?" Fuckin people man, i swear. Never cease to amaze me.

Except that isn't even close to the truth. The ending to the game could easily be called one of the worst endings of all time for a 5 year long franchise of die hard fans... this is going to hurt Bioware massively for years to come for betraying the trust of their fans completely. They deserve any hate that gets thrown at them at this point in time.

#43 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -
@Jay444111: I'm not saying that the ending doesn't suck. I'm not even saying BIoware doesn't deserve the hate and any backlash or loss of fans from the ending being as horrible as it is.

I understand how invested people are in this game which says something wonderful about the game/franchise/medium in and of itself. 

However, shitty ending or not, it was Bioware's creative right and decision to make that ending however they saw fit. They don't owe anyone a better "true" ending just because majority of the people hate the ending they put out. 

All people need to do is accept that the ending is unsatisfactory and use that information when moving forward in terms of purchasing another bioware game or the next installment of the franchise.
#44 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@hbkdx12 said:

@Jay444111: I'm not saying that the ending doesn't suck. I'm not even saying BIoware doesn't deserve the hate and any backlash or loss of fans from the ending being as horrible as it is. I understand how invested people are in this game which says something wonderful about the game/franchise/medium in and of itself. However, shitty ending or not, it was Bioware's creative right and decision to make that ending however they saw fit. They don't owe anyone a better "true" ending just because majority of the people hate the ending they put out. All people need to do is accept that the ending is unsatisfactory and use that information when moving forward in terms of purchasing another bioware game or the next installment of the franchise.

Even though they could easily make a DLC that fixes the ending to actually be good or patch it so it can end sooner and that the ending doesn't ever happen somehow. This way it would show that bioware actually does care about it's franchise and the fans in one go. Sure, it is kinda in a bad way. But considering how many holes were made by the final 10 minutes of the game. They pretty much need to do this otherwise no one is going to buy their next game franchise due to the amount of shit they just put on our screens.

#45 Posted by Undeadpool (4921 posts) -

I get that it's a charity, so you're going to have to use gentle language, but maybe more of these "protesters" would be taken seriously if they articulated themselves as well as this charity's FAQ did.

#46 Posted by Tumbler (161 posts) -

I love this idea. The whole reason we're in this debate is because EA wants to make a couple more bucks off gamers. If they see those bucks going to charity that will really shut them up. The complaint of gamers feeling entitled holds little water when you see those same gamers go drop money on something they do like. Gamers have money and like spending it on things they like. If EA wants that money then make something gamers will like. This could be your money EA.

We should call this project $10! Give $10 to charity instead of EA!

#47 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@hbkdx12 said:

@Jay444111: I'm not saying that the ending doesn't suck. I'm not even saying BIoware doesn't deserve the hate and any backlash or loss of fans from the ending being as horrible as it is. I understand how invested people are in this game which says something wonderful about the game/franchise/medium in and of itself. However, shitty ending or not, it was Bioware's creative right and decision to make that ending however they saw fit. They don't owe anyone a better "true" ending just because majority of the people hate the ending they put out. All people need to do is accept that the ending is unsatisfactory and use that information when moving forward in terms of purchasing another bioware game or the next installment of the franchise.

Even though they could easily make a DLC that fixes the ending to actually be good or patch it so it can end sooner and that the ending doesn't ever happen somehow. This way it would show that bioware actually does care about it's franchise and the fans in one go. Sure, it is kinda in a bad way. But considering how many holes were made by the final 10 minutes of the game. They pretty much need to do this otherwise no one is going to buy their next game franchise due to the amount of shit they just put on our screens.

It's totally possible for BioWare to care about its franchise and still make a shit ending, by the way. I mean, hell, even stuff like Troll 2 or The Room doesn't happen from lack of caring. Sometimes stuff just sucks--whether in part or on the whole. BioWare should just learn from their mistakes and move on. If everyone is constantly George Lucasing their shit instead of incorporating criticism to make his/her next work better, then well, we end up with a lot of work mucked up by good intentions.

#48 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -
@Jay444111: Honestly, unless Bioware  is willing to openly express that the endings they created where blatant and intentional "fuck yous" to fans, I don't think they should or have to rectify their endings with brand new ones. 

Now, if they want to make story related and content driven DLC that addresses the holes in the ending and expands on the fiction or something like that. Then fine. 

However, to ask them to simply rewrite and implement a new ending for the sole purpose that the current one sucks i think is asking too much.
#49 Posted by Undeadpool (4921 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@hbkdx12 said:

Define "easily." Unless it's going to be text scrolling across the screen, they're going to have to go back to the programmers, developers, writers, voice-actors, and everyone else who was involved with making this game. Otherwise they're just following one "bad" ending with another.

#50 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (354 posts) -

Maybe we can get people to donate to charity for all their silly arguments...I'd be down with that.