• 85 results
#1 Posted by Rheinmetall (153 posts) -

I vote for Knights Contract. The trailer was like the new generation of gaming with unbelievable graphics and cool action scenes. In reality the game had Wii quality graphics and was nothing really that special, just a decent game, one of the many.

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

the emotional Dead Island trailer wins this, for life. Nothing will ever be more misleading.

#3 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

All the World of Warcraft trailers

Oh, also that Halo 3 ad where some sort of huge battle was going on. Then you play the game and nothing like that ever happens. Then again, I never knew why I thought that an ad showing th UNSC soldiers shootig and killing stuff would be accurate

#4 Posted by FirePrince (1767 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

Yup.

#5 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@FirePrince said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Yup.

I'm with these duders.

#6 Posted by DeF (4979 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

the emotional Dead Island trailer wins this, for life. Nothing will ever be more misleading.

that's actually not fair. you can say this about ALL pre-rendered CG trailers for any game ever because they pretty much never show what the gameplay is like.

#7 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

The Old Republic had some very fancy CG trailers with great choreography. The actual gameplay is typical MMO style 'stand infront of each other, not moving, hitting hotkeys'.

A lot of games are guilty of this, but it's something that really bugs me. Make the gameplay impressive, not the marketing.

#8 Posted by Willin (1286 posts) -

Killzone 2. All of these trailers mentioned already shows the game that's obviously not in it's playable state.

Killzone 2 LIES to you.

#9 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

This is exactly what I was going to bring up when I saw this topic.

#10 Posted by Rheinmetall (153 posts) -

@DeF said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

that's actually not fair. you can say this about ALL pre-rendered CG trailers for any game ever because they pretty much never show what the gameplay is like.

I was stupid enough to have believed that the Knights Contract trailer was showing something from the game-play, or a cut-scene at least...

#11 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Brutal Legend was pretty heinous too. The trailers, the entire ad campaign, hell even the demo were misleading as all hell.

#12 Posted by GS_Dan (1397 posts) -

The subtlety and poignancy of the Mad World trailer for Gears. Irritates me to this day.

#13 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

This is exactly what I was going to bring up when I saw this topic.

I disagree. Sure it was not super representative of the gameplay but the game is super serious about the whole zombie thing and attempts to portray a lot of people struggling to deal with different situations amidst the zombies. Not super-representative but now as absurdly unrepresentative as most people think it is. I could think of plenty that are better examples.

#14 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:

Uh, seriously, you probably just say that because you've seen the people complain about it.  I think it's pretty representative of what it is ; a zombie game.
#15 Edited by Metal_Mills (3049 posts) -

The Jack trailer for ME2. Made her seem like an unstable,  mean as hell, super powered prisoner who could snap at any minute but her powers could help the mission. An anti-hero like Riddick. Instead we got a whiny bitch and had parent issues.

#16 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

Star Wars: TOR.

#17 Posted by FritzDude (2273 posts) -

I see someone here mentioned Dead island. Just out of curiosity - What did some of you expect with that CG trailer? Because for me the trailer said: An Island with zombies and emotional scenes, which in my opinion, Dead Island totally gave to some degree. People who struggle, people who are insane and people who are broken because they need to kill their loved ones to save themselves. I've seen several "this is not how i thought the game would work" - Yet i have not seen much on "Why". I would love to hear some different opinions.

#18 Posted by twigger89 (283 posts) -

There are no real emotional scenes in dead island because the dialogue is horrible, the voice actor is monotonous, and the plot/story is so contrived and ridiculous that you are much more like to laugh then cry or be attached in any real way. Just because a game tries to take itself seriously doesn't mean it inherently has emotional moments.

#19 Posted by Catarrhal (860 posts) -
#20 Posted by Ghostiet (5345 posts) -

Sadly, Brutal Legend's campaign. It really seems like EA wanted to erase all evidence of Tim Schrader talking about the multiplayer and stage battles.

#21 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

People who look at CG trailers and complain when the game doesn't resemble them, deserve to be disappointed.

CG trailers are never anything like gameplay. They are just awesome visuals to make you excited for the game's setting, story, etc.

So the answer to your question is "none". I am never mislead by CG trailers because I know what the fuck they are.

#22 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

any cg one

#23 Posted by GozerOnline (15 posts) -

Another vote here for Brutal Legend. The trailers, marketing material and even the demo made it seem like a third person action/adventure game, which it started out being... until you realized (too late) that it was a (mediocre) RTS game which exploration elements in between.

Still, I loved the story. Too bad the gameplay was all over the place :/

#24 Posted by ShadowMountain (230 posts) -

The US trailer for record of agarest war. Can't believe no one mentioned that yet...

#25 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -
@AhmadMetallic said:
#26 Posted by Elusionar (303 posts) -

I seem to recall Gamespot promising readers (via pub in magazine) that they would become a ninja if they went on their site in the late 90s. That's prety missleading.

#27 Edited by 49th (2853 posts) -

What about that gamespot thing where they promised people would become ninjas?...

Edit: ninja'd god damn it

#28 Posted by Flappy (2360 posts) -

@ShadowMountain said:

The US trailer for record of agarest war. Can't believe no one mentioned that yet...

Considering how many people played that title (not many), it doesn't surprise me. If only I could go back in time and punch my younger self in the gut...

Idea Factory games are so busted.

#29 Edited by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@WinterSnowblind said:

The Old Republic had some very fancy CG trailers with great choreography. The actual gameplay is typical MMO style 'stand infront of each other, not moving, hitting hotkeys'.

A lot of games are guilty of this, but it's something that really bugs me. Make the gameplay impressive, not the marketing.

Going to tip my hat to this one. Having watched the GET HYPE trailers of the old republic, then playing it over at a friend's house, unless you can still stand generic boring style MMOs without the RPG anymore, and without good character animations, modeling, or gameplay, then star wars is perfect for you.

#30 Posted by NewfieBullet (89 posts) -

Already been said but the WOW trailers, or the Old Republic trailers.

#31 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

yup, absolutely this.

yes i realize all CG trailers are not representative of the gameplay. but what really irked me about this one was i thought it was going to be a serious toned, emotional game. instead it turned out to be "dead rising tropical rpg fps edition! go make a poison baseballbat lolz!"

so disappointed.

#32 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

@GS_Dan said:

The subtlety and poignancy of the Mad World trailer for Gears. Irritates me to this day.

hahah Yeah, I was expecting a way deeper game than Gears from that ad.

#33 Posted by GBH (25 posts) -

Still waiting to play parts of metal gear solid sons of liberty as snake

#34 Posted by Animasta (14730 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

yup, absolutely this.

yes i realize all CG trailers are not representative of the gameplay. but what really irked me about this one was i thought it was going to be a serious toned, emotional game. instead it turned out to be "dead rising tropical rpg fps edition! go make a poison baseballbat lolz!"

so disappointed.

it's still serious and emotional....

#35 Posted by Elusionar (303 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@FirePrince said:

@ZeForgotten said:

Yup.

I'm with these duders.

True.

#36 Posted by BrickRoad (704 posts) -

This one? I mean, they flat out lie several times during this one. It's pretty bad.

#37 Posted by Mirado (1057 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Fucking has to be this. Forget the whole CG != gameplay bit, it's all about tone. You can't try and paint that game as a poignant and emotional take on a zombie invasion when you can throw exploding knives at people, when your character development is nothing but stilted one liners in game and emotionless banter in cut-scenes, and when there's more glitches then you can shake a freaked out ghost truck at.

...I mean, I still love it. But it's not what I thought I was getting.

#38 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Assassin's Creed.

The trailers and even some gameplay videos showed it as this game where you find the perfect way to assassinate your target.

Well, the game had that, but it was only like 10% of the game. It also had that futuristic element that had no gameplay and was just unskippable cutscene after unskippable cutscene, and then the actual gameplay itself was setting up for the assassination by doing repeat missions. BORING

#39 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

I'd say Metal Gear Solid 2. It shows Snake playable at the Big Shell which never happened.

But it's all intentional. A major theme of the game is censorship of the media, and the alteration of reality. Also by the end of the game, Raiden and Snake are interchangable because Raiden has become a soldier equal to or surpassing Snake. I actually think it was pretty clever because being mislead had a purpose other than making the game look awesome with CGI that was never actually in the game.

#40 Posted by Sin4profit (3003 posts) -

@DeF said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

There's an implication of tone you get from that trailer that has no part in the final product, so i'd say it's a fair answer.

#41 Posted by RedHatDrew (336 posts) -

Does the StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty TV spot count?

#42 Posted by Sin4profit (3003 posts) -

@FritzDude: About Dead Island, people assumed you'd play the game as a family or at least have character development that made you care about the people around you. What they feel they got were video game trope characters which you couldn't take seriously enough to feel emotional for any of'em.

That trailer was released before anybody really knew what the gameplay was going to be like at all and the trailer gave people the impression that it was going to be very story driven and focused.

#43 Posted by DeF (4979 posts) -
@Sin4profit said:

@DeF said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

There's an implication of tone you get from that trailer that has no part in the final product, so i'd say it's a fair answer.

what about this then? This then certainly fits that description as well. doesn't look like a dudebro-letschainsawtheshitouttamonsters-game to me either. 
#44 Posted by Mirado (1057 posts) -

@DeF: I don't get the same sense of emotion from that one; it's a sad song pasted over some dude shooting a giant spider. There's a few seconds of Marcus looking at that broken statue, but beyond that (and especially once he starts running) it just seems like a generic video game trailer.

Dead Island, on the other hand, starts off by breaking a video game taboo: dead children. In an industry with such a double standard towards violence ("as long as they aren't kids you can blow their limbs off for all we care!"), that's a great way to catch interest and raise eyebrows. There's such an emphasis on the relationship between the characters, on the emotions caused by a) zombies and b) seeing your kid in distress, which is so...unprecedented in the zombie sub-genre, it was so refreshing to see.

Instead...well, we know what was delivered.

#45 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Well, you do find the family that was in the trailer a minute into the game...

#46 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Only complete idiots would expect the Dead Island trailer to represent the game. 

And the tone itself? Obviously people stopped playing before even meeting another person. That game is full of folks with the emotional stance of "we're stranded in a zombie outbreak and I just had to kill a family member/friend". How does that not match the tone?

#47 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

@MrKlorox said:

Only complete idiots would expect the Dead Island trailer to represent the game.

Why would a company put out promotional material that didn't reflect their product?

#48 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

@HandsomeDead said:

@MrKlorox said:

Why would a company put out promotional material that didn't reflect their product?

To sell copies to people who would be otherwise uninterested? Remember, it's not what you're selling, it's how you sell it.

And guys, We Dare. /thread

#49 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Mirado said:

@DeF: I don't get the same sense of emotion from that one; it's a sad song pasted over some dude shooting a giant spider. There's a few seconds of Marcus looking at that broken statue, but beyond that (and especially once he starts running) it just seems like a generic video game trailer.

Dead Island, on the other hand, starts off by breaking a video game taboo: dead children. In an industry with such a double standard towards violence ("as long as they aren't kids you can blow their limbs off for all we care!"), that's a great way to catch interest and raise eyebrows. There's such an emphasis on the relationship between the characters, on the emotions caused by a) zombies and b) seeing your kid in distress, which is so...unprecedented in the zombie sub-genre, it was so refreshing to see.

Instead...well, we know what was delivered.

Did you even play it? Or did you just watch the TNT of Jeff and Patrick being assholes and laughing at bugs? If you base perceptions of a game off people trying to break it, you're doing it wrong.
#50 Posted by The_Nubster (2362 posts) -

@Clonedzero said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

yup, absolutely this.

so disappointed.

The game never tells you to "go make a poison baseballbat lolz". Thinking that trying to make a more effective weapon somehow makes the game a joke is entirely on you. The game attempts to deliver on what the trailer promised, even if the attempts are kind of botched. There might be small jokes here or there, but the game never tips over into Dead Rising levels of self-referential, ridiculous situations.

This reminds me of Zero Punctuation's review, where he talks about how the game attempts to be sad, yet lets you break zombie bones and somehow that makes it less depressing. No, that's YOU who thinks that making weapons in a first-person game is somehow detracting from emotion. That isn't the game being a wacky, zany, silly sandbox. The game is trying its hardest to deliver on the somber, lonely, and hopeless feeling of all those on the island, but since it's not in goddamn backwards slow-mo with sad piano music 24/7, everyone gets all pissed off.