• 112 results
#51 Posted by ShaggE (6555 posts) -

@pop said:

@icemo: BFG, of course, it's the BIG FUCKING GUN! Why is this answer only the 37th post? You shoot that thing and the entire room just gets disintegrated.

I was thinking the same thing. Sadly I think the reason is because we are "old" enough to remember the BFG.

I dunno, it was ridiculously powerful (especially the 10k model), but I think it's been supplanted over the years.

Hell, if we're talking all of gaming, we've had guns that destroyed entire planets.

#52 Posted by ManMadeGod (1575 posts) -

The Fusion Rocket from the original Red Faction is still one of my favorite "super" weapons. Love that game.

#53 Posted by Spoonman671 (4700 posts) -

The RYNO in the Ratchet games is ridiculous. In A Crack in Time it would fire out hundreds of bullets all at once and constantly fire missiles while playing the 1812 Overture. The new RYNO VII in Into the Nexus is even more devastating now you can add mods and plays another piece of classical music, Night on Bald Mountain. They refer to it in the store as an "intergalactic mic drop." I can't really disagree.

Also, purple.

#54 Posted by MacEG (256 posts) -
#55 Edited by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

i just want to say LAPTOP GUN 4 LYFE

Yep.

#56 Posted by Levius (1171 posts) -

The Cerebral Bore, motherfuckers.

#57 Edited by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

Put me down in the BFG camp, it's the quintessential Powergun of gaming.

#58 Posted by BigJeffrey (5079 posts) -

@trilogy said:

The akimbo Model 1887s from Modern Warfare 2 comes to mind. Those things were so fucking overpowered.

That was such a great time, Marathon man with akimbo shotguns. Fucking pwn in mw. Shame they got patched.

Stick that shit anywhere.

#59 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

I would say any of the RYNO series from Ratchet and Clank. Those guns are amazing.

#60 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3222 posts) -

This thing... Once you managed to obtain this thing, multikills were to be had.

#61 Edited by psylah (2181 posts) -
#62 Posted by OriginalYellow (132 posts) -

@shadowconqueror: thank god someone mentioned turok, I'm pretty sure that one of the guns just straight up turned your vision white from the sheer destructive force of that gun

#63 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

BFG. Like c'mon kids. Clear answer is clear.

#64 Edited by jamesyfx (69 posts) -

I think the most ridiculous guns were the ones in Turok. You had the ones that basically stopped the game for half a minute while the explosions happened, and there was also that gun with the homing brain drill that you could not avoid once it was locked on.

#65 Edited by TobbRobb (4752 posts) -

I'm either feeling the AWP in CS, shotgun in FEAR or the handcannon in RE4.

#66 Posted by Willza92 (266 posts) -

Not only was Doom the greatest game ever made, the movie Doom is also a timeless classic.

I love that you are serious and 100% correct. Also, a gun that shoots freakin' Nukes is kind of hard to beat.

#67 Posted by FoolishChaos (444 posts) -

Both the shotguns in Gears of War (1) and FEAR are pretty damn fun

#68 Posted by Schmollian (265 posts) -

Six barreled rocket launcher from Unreal Tournament.

#69 Posted by RedRocketWestie (381 posts) -

@jamesyfx said:

I think the most ridiculous guns were the ones in Turok. You had the ones that basically stopped the game for half a minute while the explosions happened, and there was also that gun with the homing brain drill that you could not avoid once it was locked on.

If we're talking ridiculous, let's talk People Can Fly. Painkiller's weapons were like a list of the most powerful weapons from half a dozen other games.

For me, I'll take a little bit of a different angle and say the Blaster Launcher from the original XCOM. It was a rocket launcher that fired a projectile that could be commanded to follow a path around corners, up stairs and into the heart of the enemy base. Once it got there, it destroyed half a room, while your soldiers were smoking cigars halfway across the map.

#70 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

I'm ashamed at this community that the first response was not the BFG.

#71 Posted by Xeiphyer (5606 posts) -

I think the most powerful gun I ever wielded in a game was the Novalith cannon from Sins of a Solar Empire, which could fire a projectile, capable of exterminating an entire planet's population, from anywhere in a star system. I personally never liked using it though. It felt cheap.

That was the worst part of that game, made me never use that faction for the AI because they would just randomly nuke planets.

#72 Posted by crithon (3338 posts) -

Ratchet and Clank's Ryno gun is awesome, all other guns just pale in comparison

the fact it plays Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" is amazing

#73 Posted by StingingVelvet (570 posts) -

The shotgun in the original Doom is still probably my favorite video game weapon period. Just feels and sounds so perfect.

Something more recent... I guess the shotgun in Bioshock Infinite was pretty good, especially when jumping around on skylines or using powers to get in close and really kick people in the chest with it. I think combat in that game is very underrated.

I like shotguns in other words.

#74 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@redrocketwestie said:

@jamesyfx said:

If we're talking ridiculous, let's talk People Can Fly. Painkiller's weapons were like a list of the most powerful weapons from half a dozen other games.

For me, I'll take a little bit of a different angle and say the Blaster Launcher from the original XCOM. It was a rocket launcher that fired a projectile that could be commanded to follow a path around corners, up stairs and into the heart of the enemy base. Once it got there, it destroyed half a room, while your soldiers were smoking cigars halfway across the map.

Winner right here. If we are looking for winners that is. I abused the shit out of this weapon. I don't think I'd ever have beaten it without its madness.

#75 Posted by Flappy (2302 posts) -

The Golden Gun.

#76 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5808 posts) -

The Dubstep gun from Saints Row 4.

#77 Posted by TyCobb (1973 posts) -

Redeemer from UT and the Rail Gun from Quake 3

#78 Posted by AndrewB (7669 posts) -

Enough Said

I was about to say the blue gravity gun from Half-Life 2, but there's the real winner.

#79 Posted by madmidknight (24 posts) -

Farsight XR-20

Perfect Dark

#80 Edited by Skyfire543 (713 posts) -

BFG 10k for sure. That thing fucks dudes up.

#81 Edited by NTM (7486 posts) -

The FarSight from Perfect Dark? Oh, never mind. I should have read the question. I hate using the farsight, but still, it's probably one of the most powerful, cheaply used weapons in any game.

#82 Posted by Strife777 (1605 posts) -

I just started playing R&C: Into the Nexus, so the RYNO comes to mind. Any of it's versions really, but as mentioned, the one from A Crack in Time truly is fantastic.

#83 Posted by VodkaMedia (41 posts) -
#84 Posted by mina_mina752 (121 posts) -

i like the "fatman" from fallout nv...will usually get u killed in the blast radius but very helpful in clearing out those legion scum !

#85 Posted by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -

The BFG: It's a classic.

#86 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Unreal II: The Aweakening. That game was a pile of shit poop, but right at the end you got the singularity cannon, which made the whole thing worth it. That thing was baller.

Or, The Fatman. Fucking love me some Fatman action.

#87 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5747 posts) -
#88 Posted by csl316 (8988 posts) -

Vector Cannon in Zone of the Enders 2. It took down battlecruisers, impenetrable defenses, lots if random dudes... It was kind of ridiculous.

#89 Posted by SunBroZak (1204 posts) -

A lot of the weapons in The Last of Us have a real kick to them. Makes them seem super powerful.

#90 Posted by Korwin (2896 posts) -

BFG is one, but a little too obvious for my taste. How about the Q3 Machine Gun when you rocking a quad, or the cannon ball launcher from Serious Sam?

#91 Posted by seamuspaxman (55 posts) -

The physgun from gmod. That shit can pick up anything!

#92 Posted by JadeGL (914 posts) -

@planetfunksquad: The level 50 KerBlaster is awesome! I have been using it pretty much as my main gun for the past few levels (I'm 56 Siren). Does over 35,000 damage plus drops a grenade that does even more damage! EXPLOSIONS!

#93 Posted by CatsAkimbo (635 posts) -

@jayzilla said:

The Rail Gun in PerfectDark 64. There is no other argument. It had X-Ray vision, lock on, and could one shot.

Yes, I would say the Farsight is unquestionably the most powerful. How can you argue with something that one-shots people anywhere they are on the map, shooting them through walls with an x-ray sight?

#94 Posted by Marz (5658 posts) -

BFG 9000 count?

#95 Edited by Nick (673 posts) -

My vote goes to the BFG 9000.

#96 Posted by Brendan (7845 posts) -

That nuke pistol from Mass Effect was superbadass. The explosion was cool as fuck.

#97 Posted by Akeldama (4253 posts) -

SUPER DRAGON

#98 Posted by Veektarius (4922 posts) -

I was pretty partial to the hand cannon in Infinite. Never had enough ammo for that thing....

#99 Posted by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -

What happens if you type in 'most powerful gun' into Scribblenauts?

#100 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I'm not even that old and I immediately thought BFG. Of course the RYNO was second in my mind,