• 64 results
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

Edited By Lies

It's a story I'm sure is familiar to any GiantBomb user. November 30th 2007 the story breaks that Jeff Gerstmann was fired from Gamespot. Internet explodes, and a mass exodus of Gamespot veterans occurs.

Now, obviously, the circumstances surrounding this firing were suspect, and people had every right to get up in arms about it. Making sure you're getting an honest and true evaluation of a project is something worth fighting for. This is a valid complaint, and I fully support the quest for transparency and truth in the business.

This game was lynched (ahaha, get it?) by the hardcore due to it's involvement in Jeff's firing.
This game was lynched (ahaha, get it?) by the hardcore due to it's involvement in Jeff's firing.
What wasn't as immediately understandable was the incredible following of Jeff following the Gamespot shenanigans. A small level of interest following a controversy is natural under any circumstances, in any industry. However, what we saw wasn't a small or even medium level of interest. We saw a quick formation of a cult of personality around Jeff Gerstmann. His personal blog launched sometime in December, and was immediately swarmed with hits and comments. Over a seven-month period of activity (up until the launch of GiantBomb), his blog averaged 50 comments or more per story. I have trouble getting ten comments on a blog without ruthless self-promotion :(

The traffic is symptomatic of something else though. People built up this man to be a hero-figure, a knight in shining armor for their hobby. An explanation I heard on last week's BSHAF was that perhaps people saw Jeff as proof that videogames could be cool, and people swarmed to him because of his personality. Now, this is certainly valid, but it at most accounts for part the fervor, for this ruthless hero-worship and obsession isn't only limited to Jeff.

Former GFW/1Up journalist Shawn Elliot commented on the GFW post-PAX podcast, that people treated him like a celebrity at PAX. He commented that is was kind of absurd that so many people loved him for his writing and podcasts. Within that small sub-community, Shawn Elliot was a movie star. Nintendo fans hinge on Matt Casamassina's every word, and other journalists enjoy much the same reverence. Jeff Green had a huge farewell thread on the 1Up boards, and many people still follow him on his personal blog- just as happened with many of the departedGamespotstaffers.

So we've established that an obsessive following has developed around these people, something they'd all acknowledge I'm sure. The question we now must address is why.

The games industry has swollen to an absurd size, eclipsing even Hollywood in scale and revenue. But with the possible exception of Roger Ebert, people don't revere movie critcs the same way. Movie fans realize that their opinion is just as valid as a critics, and if a movie they don't like gets a negative review, they'll still go ahead and see it. Game enthusiasts are, perhaps, not asunderstanding.

Now, the obvious reason for a heavier reliance on reviews within games is that movies cost ten dollars whereas a game costs 50 or 60 dollars a pop. Obviously people don't want to blow 60 bucks on a crappy game without warning. But today, in the age of the internet, enough information exists before launch for you to make your own judgment without need for a reviewer. Screenshots, gameplay videos, trailers, and most importantly, demos have made the reviewer largely obsolete, save for unexpected issues. Now of course, casual players will find more use in reviews, but then again, casual players, by definition, are not following Shawn Elliot on Twitter or reading Jeff Gerstmann's personal blog.

People seem to view games as being objectively good or bad, with no middle ground, with reviewers as the only authority on the subject. Obviously, this isn't the right way to approach the subject. I'll default back to The Force Unleashed, being an example I have extensive experience with. TFU wasn't the best game released this year- it was panned by critics mostly. But I really like TFU. I play it quite a bit, and even bought the DLC for it. I enjoyed it despite the critics. My opinion is different from theirs, but just as valid, a vital point to make, and something the editorial content of GiantBomb endorses.
Joystiq gets credit for the rad image

So why do people still flock to these press men? The hero worship reaches almost sickening levels. In a conversation me and Jayge had the other day while playing HALO on Xbox Live, we were discussing reviews on GiantBomb. The majority of the comments on any given Jeff review will be: "Another perfect review Jeff! Great writing, I fucking love you!". Then there are always a few people it seems who sign up just to say: "Jeff Gerstmann is a talentless fuck who can't write". The truth is, as always, somewhere in the middle. Jeff is a decent writer, but he is in no way one of the best writers working in the business today, and people who say he is need to go read Gamasutra.

People view Jeff as a goddamn messiah. A savior and hero for them. Jeff Gerstmann is simply a professional enthusiast with a skill for speaking frankly and honestly. Not to single anyone out, but jensonb wrote a screenplay about the waning days of Gamespot and Jeff's firing. What exactly did Jeff ever do to deserve that? Not begrudging him it, but I just wonder what exactly motivates a person to invest their time writing that.

It's often great personalities that are used to justify obsessions of following of these people. But take the example of Ryan Scott, 1Up/EGM's reviews editor. The man was a minor NeoGAF meme for a while, despite being quite shy, and hardly ever talking on the GFW podcast he was a member of. Ryan Scott's internet personality is hardly noticeable, yet he gathered a decent enough following also. Something MattBodega told me in the IRC, after I was talking about this was, "If you don't like the guys, why are you at GiantBomb?", and I didn't answer, because the idea of this entire site being comprised of simply the followers of these guys was absurd to me. It's fetishism. Obsessive following of these people is absurdly weird- probably the culmination of my argument here is the voyeuristic ShaneWatch Twitter, a Twitter feed of 1Up employees spying on Shane Bettenhausen, then posting what they see him doing to Twitter without his knowledge. This feed built up 1,000 followers in a week.

People like seeing regular people playing games. They like the thought of games as a living entices them. People making a living off of this industry makes it socially acceptable- despite the widespread scorn the games press faces from the mainstream guys.

People feel the need to have their hobby be a normal thing. Their obsession with videogames, still somewhat of a social taboo- despite the growing penetration- needs validation. People think: "Hey, this guy is pretty cool, has friends, and a fun sense of humor AND he likes video games". The only success of these journalists is not being complete social fuck-ups by having good personalities and managing to write decently. The, for lack of a better word, cult, that grows up around them is absurd, and absolutely unjustifiable, in my opinion.

This being GiantBomb, largely made up of members of Jeff and co's cult, I hardly expect a chorus of agreement. But this is the way I see it, and if you disagree, feel free to share your insights into the issue in comments. I'd be interested in hearing from you guys.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Lies

It's a story I'm sure is familiar to any GiantBomb user. November 30th 2007 the story breaks that Jeff Gerstmann was fired from Gamespot. Internet explodes, and a mass exodus of Gamespot veterans occurs.

Now, obviously, the circumstances surrounding this firing were suspect, and people had every right to get up in arms about it. Making sure you're getting an honest and true evaluation of a project is something worth fighting for. This is a valid complaint, and I fully support the quest for transparency and truth in the business.

What wasn't as immediately understandable was the incredible following of Jeff following the Gamespot shenanigans. A small level of interest following a controversy is natural under any circumstances, in any industry. However, what we saw wasn't a small or even medium level of interest. We saw a quick formation of a cult of personality around Jeff Gerstmann. His personal blog launched sometime in December, and was immediately swarmed with hits and comments. Over a seven-month period of activity (up until the launch of GiantBomb), his blog averaged 50 comments or more per story. I have trouble getting ten comments on a blog without ruthless self-promotion :(

The traffic is symptomatic of something else though. People built up this man to be a hero-figure, a knight in shining armor for their hobby. An explanation I heard on last week's BSHAF was that perhaps people saw Jeff as proof that videogames could be cool, and people swarmed to him because of his personality. Now, this is certainly valid, but it at most accounts for part the fervor, for this ruthless hero-worship and obsession isn't only limited to Jeff.

Former GFW/1Up journalist Shawn Elliot commented on the GFW post-PAX podcast, that people treated him like a celebrity at PAX. He commented that is was kind of absurd that so many people loved him for his writing and podcasts. Within that small sub-community, Shawn Elliot was a movie star. Nintendo fans hinge on Matt Casamassina's every word, and other journalists enjoy much the same reverence. Jeff Green had a huge farewell thread on the 1Up boards, and many people still follow him on his personal blog- just as happened with many of the departedGamespotstaffers.

So we've established that an obsessive following has developed around these people, something they'd all acknowledge I'm sure. The question we now must address is why.

The games industry has swollen to an absurd size, eclipsing even Hollywood in scale and revenue. But with the possible exception of Roger Ebert, people don't revere movie critcs the same way. Movie fans realize that their opinion is just as valid as a critics, and if a movie they don't like gets a negative review, they'll still go ahead and see it. Game enthusiasts are, perhaps, not asunderstanding.

Now, the obvious reason for a heavier reliance on reviews within games is that movies cost ten dollars whereas a game costs 50 or 60 dollars a pop. Obviously people don't want to blow 60 bucks on a crappy game without warning. But today, in the age of the internet, enough information exists before launch for you to make your own judgment without need for a reviewer. Screenshots, gameplay videos, trailers, and most importantly, demos have made the reviewer largely obsolete, save for unexpected issues. Now of course, casual players will find more use in reviews, but then again, casual players, by definition, are not following Shawn Elliot on Twitter or reading Jeff Gerstmann's personal blog.

People seem to view games as being objectively good or bad, with no middle ground, with reviewers as the only authority on the subject. Obviously, this isn't the right way to approach the subject. I'll default back to The Force Unleashed, being an example I have extensive experience with. TFU wasn't the best game released this year- it was panned by critics mostly. But I really like TFU. I play it quite a bit, and even bought the DLC for it. I enjoyed it despite the critics. My opinion is different from theirs, but just as valid, a vital point to make, and something the editorial content of GiantBomb endorses.

So why do people still flock to these press men? The hero worship reaches almost sickening levels. In a conversation me and Jayge had the other day while playing HALO on Xbox Live, we were discussing reviews on GiantBomb. The majority of the comments on any given Jeff review will be: "Another perfect review Jeff! Great writing, I fucking love you!". Then there are always a few people it seems who sign up just to say: "Jeff Gerstmann is a talentless fuck who can't write". The truth is, as always, somewhere in the middle. Jeff is a decent writer, but he is in no way one of the best writers working in the business today, and people who say he is need to go read Gamasutra.

People view Jeff as a goddamn messiah. A savior and hero for them. Jeff Gerstmann is simply a professional enthusiast with a skill for speaking frankly and honestly. Not to single anyone out, but jensonb wrote a screenplay about the waning days of Gamespot and Jeff's firing. What exactly did Jeff ever do to deserve that? Not begrudging him it, but I just wonder what exactly motivates a person to invest their time writing that.

It's often great personalities that are used to justify obsessions of following of these people. But take the example of Ryan Scott, 1Up/EGM's reviews editor. The man was a minor NeoGAF meme for a while, despite being quite shy, and hardly ever talking on the GFW podcast he was a member of. Ryan Scott's internet personality is hardly noticeable, yet he gathered a decent enough following also. Something MattBodega told me in the IRC, after I was talking about this was, "If you don't like the guys, why are you at GiantBomb?", and I didn't answer, because the idea of this entire site being comprised of simply the followers of these guys was absurd to me. It's fetishism. Obsessive following of these people is absurdly weird- probably the culmination of my argument here is the voyeuristic ShaneWatch Twitter, a Twitter feed of 1Up employees spying on Shane Bettenhausen, then posting what they see him doing to Twitter without his knowledge. This feed built up 1,000 followers in a week.

People like seeing regular people playing games. They like the thought of games as a living entices them. People making a living off of this industry makes it socially acceptable- despite the widespread scorn the games press faces from the mainstream guys.

People feel the need to have their hobby be a normal thing. Their obsession with videogames, still somewhat of a social taboo- despite the growing penetration- needs validation. People think: "Hey, this guy is pretty cool, has friends, and a fun sense of humor AND he likes video games". The only success of these journalists is not being complete social fuck-ups by having good personalities and managing to write decently. The, for lack of a better word, cult, that grows up around them is absurd, and absolutely unjustifiable, in my opinion.

This being GiantBomb, largely made up of members of Jeff and co's cult, I hardly expect a chorus of agreement. But this is the way I see it, and if you disagree, feel free to share your insights into the issue in comments. I'd be interested in hearing from you guys.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

GB can be somewhat of a Jeff fanboy club sometimes and it can be annoying, since if you disagree your asking yourself to be pummeled into a flame war tornado, and about the thing saying jeff isn`t the best writer or whatever, hey I respect your opinion but I could also say that about anyone who reviews, I could say Gamasutra blows, it`s all about opinion.
I`m obviously on GB because I love the site and reviews so I may be a little biased but thats just me.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By RandomHero666

I Agree with 99% of everyting you just said.
As much as i love* Jeff its no less than i love* any of the GB Reviewers.

* = no homo

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By crunchUK

well um... writing decently is like a requirement for being a journalist :S

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lies

Your trolling. It is charming.

Avatar image for masturbatingbear
MasturbatingBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MasturbatingBear

Lol the force unleashed is a crappy game now?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOMEBODY IS MORE POPULAR THAN ME ON THE INTERNET!!1

:P

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Thrawn1

you just had to bring up TFU didn't you?

but honestly, i loved that game. probably had something to do with my obsessive pursuit of a good star wars plotline. those are getting rare these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Not me. I don't care about Jeff at all. The only god in this industry is Will Wright.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TwoOneFive
RandomHero666 said:
"I Agree with 99% of everyting you just said.

* = no homo"
you love jeff? have you ever even met the guy or spoken with him?
i like his review and writing style, he's pretty cool in interviews etc, and his web site is fuckin great, but come on, i don't actually know the guy. 
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

As I had to minimize the screen in order to not have to see the continuingly annoying pelvic thrust of the Hoff, moreso the fact that it was giving me a massive headache within the first four seconds of watching the fucking thing, I'll leave a serious comment rather than some dumbass fucking picture.

I think a lot of the fascination with guys like Jeff and everyone else is because they do not present themselves as if they are above us at all.  They show to their community that they are gamers first and foremost, and I think that they have been leading the way for a new way to approach game reviews.  A lot of that, I think, started with the video segments back on Gamespot and it just naturally progressed onward.  You might even go so far as to consider Jeff the "Coppola" of this "new generation of reviewers", the same way that Coppola was the forefront for the "new generation of Hollywood" that continued with Spielberg and many others in the same group.

Does that mean that Jeff is Coppola?  No.  It simply means that after his exit from Gamespot and helping to create a site like Giant Bomb, I think these guys helped to bring out a sense of less corporate fodder and more of a personal experience; showing themselves as being themselves.  There are tons of other places that have been helping to change the face of gaming journalism, and it feels good to see a fresh change like this coming around.  Every industry has to evolve, and in the world of user-created content, Giant Bomb is one of the forefront leaders in that area.

That's about as far as I can get with all these customers walking up to me and wanting shit, but if I can say more later, then I will.
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By insanejedi

I just like his writing and personality ever since. He has a great portfolio and a great following of fans. And of course you get attached to a guy like Jeff if you follow him a long tome whether as an Idol, or just as a great guy, or a lover (I'm looking at you Vanord j/k :P). But yea, he's just a cool, likable guy who has a huge knowledge about video games, and when something happens to him or people attack him, your natural instinct is to defend him because he is a cool guy. Eventually you meet up with like minded individuals like the ones here at GiantBomb and you develop a cult-following for this guy and treat him like a celeberty. I still get the "I'm standing next to somebody famous" emotions whenever I get on the IRC or he reads my E-mail and he responds to what I say. The simple fact is, is I like him and so do other people.

Pleasureizmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pleasureizmine

LOL ^^^

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lies
jakob187 said:
"As I had to minimize the screen in order to not have to see the continuingly annoying pelvic thrust of the Hoff, moreso the fact that it was giving me a massive headache within the first four seconds of watching the fucking thing, I'll leave a serious comment rather than some dumbass fucking picture.
I think a lot of the fascination with guys like Jeff and everyone else is because they do not present themselves as if they are above us at all.  They show to their community that they are gamers first and foremost, and I think that they have been leading the way for a new way to approach game reviews.  A lot of that, I think, started with the video segments back on Gamespot and it just naturally progressed onward.  You might even go so far as to consider Jeff the "Coppola" of this "new generation of reviewers", the same way that Coppola was the forefront for the "new generation of Hollywood" that continued with Spielberg and many others in the same group.

Does that mean that Jeff is Coppola?  No.  It simply means that after his exit from Gamespot and helping to create a site like Giant Bomb, I think these guys helped to bring out a sense of less corporate fodder and more of a personal experience; showing themselves as being themselves.  There are tons of other places that have been helping to change the face of gaming journalism, and it feels good to see a fresh change like this coming around.  Every industry has to evolve, and in the world of user-created content, Giant Bomb is one of the forefront leaders in that area.

That's about as far as I can get with all these customers walking up to me and wanting shit, but if I can say more later, then I will.
"
But the obsession exists on other sites as well, this isn't exclusive to GiantBomb at all. People worship other journalists who put forth a much more professional and less personal mage. Yet they get their adoring legions also. So how do you justify their fans?
yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By yellownumber5

For one: PLEASE STOP REPOSTING THE HOFF NUT ZOOMING THING!!!

anyway I really like how you worded your blog.  For myself when the "Gerstmanngate" thing happened it struck me potently.  What got me into GB was after the fact when I could not figure out the suspicious GS leaving of Alex Navarro, Brad, Vinny, Ryan, and others.  Brad's last Gamespot input to my knowledge was saying that Blaster Master should be remade (what's my avatar?)  I see how you recognize this celebrity thing.  Sadly, but unexpectedly, this celebrity status is not quite new, but because of Jeff's struggle and overcoming his getting fired from a corporate site to making a whole new site I think  has shown a wierd new trend in gamers that goes beyond just being a fan of a magazine or website only.  Gaming nowdays is, or has been coming over the past five years reaching a new plateau where what gamers want, know, and love is starting to be dumbed down by making this media accessible to a general audience.  Giantbomb arriving with the pretense of thwarting corporate influence is a big part of the lure that makes being on the edge of this new future of gaming allow for a group of people who want to unite to be the gamers that we are.  I wish Jeff could make Ryan McDonald, Kevin Van'Ord, Ricardo Torres, Tim McShea, Brian Ekberg, and leaving out many, all just be part of Giant Bomb, but that is not going to happen.  This celebrity like status though comes from the fact that we gamers are needing some kind of representative to our feelings.  To me, Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, and Brad do a pretty good job of it, or at least have a place where in the future of gaming there is a voice that may in a way represent some semblance voice of our own.

That is how this "celebrity" status has formed.  But to let it be known:  GB does certainly have fans among its users, but among many gamers as a whole is is only a fraction of dedicated users.  Sure GB will have a few usatisfied customers.  I don't care for 1up even though I go there every other day.  Some people may only go to 1up or IGN and not care for GB's flavor.

Well anyway I am running out of where I'm going with this.  Facts are that the gamer audience is really left wihtout a sense of representation, so gamers will pick the closest that is available.  Jeff was kindof lucky of his misfortunes at Gamespot, that it afforded him an opportunity to "rise above" in a way and have it be public.  Gamers nowdays are starting to feel jaded, and Gamespot being an "enemy" helped a lot with that to find empathy with Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, and Brad.

I still have that farewell video Gamespot made for Jeff on my PS3 and Ryan McDonald almost crying gets me a little foggy eyed.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brukaoru

I never really visited Gamespot so I really didn't know anyone from there before the whole incident exploded on every gaming podcast/forum. After that, I heard about a new site being made by Jeff, but really didn't get to know Jeff (or Ryan, Brad, and Vinny) until I joined GiantBomb. After that, I started listening to the podcasts, watching videos and even saw some of their past work on GameSpot. Now I understand why people like him, because I do as well.

I agree that Jeff's writing is good but nowhere near the best. (Thank you for mentioning GamaSutra, they are one of the best gaming journalist sites out there). I have a feeling most of Jeff's fans don't obsess over him just because of his writing, as you pointed out, a lot of his fans play video games and don't like the stereotype that surrounds them and look up to Jeff because he is the .

I will also agree that people should not have to like any of the staff in order to enjoy this site. Although the majority of people will probably like the staff, GiantBomb is more about the community of gamers that are present here. I've made a lot of friends here, and if, hypothically speaking, the staff were to be replaced (let's say if the staff were to retire), I would not leave the site just because they were gone. I would expect some people would, but then that perhaps goes to the show that they were so obsessed with the staff that they didn't really pay attention to the other great things about GiantBomb.

I think Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny are all cool guys. I don't really see them as "big celebrities." I think they're just dudes who have awesome jobs and made an awesome website.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187
Lies said:
"jakob187 said:
"As I had to minimize the screen in order to not have to see the continuingly annoying pelvic thrust of the Hoff, moreso the fact that it was giving me a massive headache within the first four seconds of watching the fucking thing, I'll leave a serious comment rather than some dumbass fucking picture.

"
But the obsession exists on other sites as well, this isn't exclusive to GiantBomb at all. People worship other journalists who put forth a much more professional and less personal mage. Yet they get their adoring legions also. So how do you justify their fans?"
Totally understand that.  Like I said, with all the customers, I couldn't write the rest of it...and probably won't get to.  The summarization of it is that with more game reviewers becoming more accessible as a "normal guy" that happens to have an opinion people trust, then you will get this higher level of recognition, which in turn always leads to a certain level of celebrity.  The internet makes it easy to be a fan, and with internet dwellers, we don't want someone who is super professional.  Yes, we can connect through videos and audio and such, but a lot of our interaction is via text and images.  We want that personal experience, and in turn, that personal experience is what makes us realize "this is the kind of dood that I would hang out with".  Granted, this can usually create some form of biased with the fanbase, but most of the reviewers don't worry about that.  They know there will always be someone to come along and keep their ego in check.  I will say that I think the guys at GB are some of the better reviewers in the industry, just because they speak from a gamer's perspective rather than from a super technical, business perspective.  However, that doesn't mean that I like every single review they write.  As a former reviewer myself, there's just times where you get a game to review, and you can't get the right words to come out...EVER!  I've seen that happen plenty of times with these guys, as well as a ton of other reviewers.

I think the biggest reason for the fanbases, though, is because people know that they can trust this "new generation".  These are all folks who have proved their dedication to integrity time and time again, and that speaks more to us than any review ever will.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EvilTwin

I don't really understand why you care.  He's a very knowledgeable and funny personality in the gaming industry.  People who are exceptionally enthusiastic about gaming have to go somewhere to get their news and reviews, and many find that the personality inserted into Giantbomb's podcasting and writing is the spoonful of sugar that makes the medicine go down. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a serious note, I've always looked for reviewers who I have either identified with or been entertained by when it comes to gaming.
Even back in the magazine day when I'd switch between Total!, CVG, Edge and GamesMaster depending if Andy Dyer or Ed Lomas or Steve Jarrett were writing there. Shit look at how GamePro cultivated this back in the day with Sushi-X and Scary Larry.
On a whole games reviews should be objective, but they aren't, therefore by recognizing what each writers preference and taste you can better gauge their review towards your taste. Of course it doesn't hurt that you're a good writer or a funny guy.

It harkens back to a discussion I had a few months ago about how Shawn Elliott (Who I believe is a truly terrific writer.) could almost be described as a game critiquer rather than a reviewer. I don't wanna turn what is essentially a consumer report into arty douchery, but for example the way he deconstructed and discussed Braid was really interesting.

As for Force Unleashed, I started playing it a few days ago (105 points so far FTW) and I really want to love this game, but it has so many frustrating, borderline buggy parts. Seriously, wasn't this in production for ages from one of the bigger studios? I expected something a bit more polished and tighter, both in controls and level design. It's not a bad game and Lord knows I've powered thru worse things to be entertained by something Star Wars related. I'm gonna try to stick with it to the end.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By zitosilva

Interesting, though I think that you fell a little in your conclusion, it was a great read.

I'm not so sure if the Giantbomb people are here just because of admiration for the editors. I think it's something more in the lines of what Jakob said. You don't feel that artifical professional air in here. The whole idea of criticism being based on point of views is what makes this site great in my opinion. No one tries to impose a fake impartiality, and because of that the user base reviews are very good as well, giving you a good overview of a game.

That's what I feel anyway, though I don't really base my purchases on reviews I think that here they are more valuable.

Now, for the whole phenomenom of people following an image, I guess you could go study psycology to find out more about that. You mentioned it yourself, followers of any kind exist in any medium. People like having an image to which they can rely part of their identity, to which they believe will portray part of their beliefs. If that's a good thing or not is not up to me to decide, but it exists.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Discorsi

I don't really like any reviews/reviewers for their reviews it's true.  But I do like hearing them talk about games.  As Jay-z would say "It's only entertainment."  I don't need to be assured that gaming is something is acceptable by game reviewing "celebrities."  The proof is all around us.  I don't even agree with reviews that give good marks on a game i really enjoy.  Gaming tastes are ver unique.  Two people could love the same game for totally different reasons.

Even though I personally don't use reviews to base what I am going to buy, it is still useful for other who are less "hardcore."  Demos are usually never good ways to measure how good a game is going to be and previews are always very deceitful.  I see plenty of games getting really good previews saying that the game is amazing but when it comes to being rated it gets a 7 or lower.  Besides,  I assume the less hardcore would only get demos of known quantities like Madden or Halo 3 and not something like Mirror's Edge.  Reviews are great ways to get people who play only Madden or w/e into "hardcore" games.  They go "oh look that game got a 9.5 like Halo 3.. maybe I should check it out."

Let's just face it, people love being haters or fanboys of a game/reviewer.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By yellownumber5

The best thing that I have found printed magazines to do is have a list of the journalists involved and what games or influences that these reviewers have at the time.  I tend to think that these get stil ignored overall by the core audience, but at least it is there to provide for the most important factor to the reader getting the most out of the journalists review.  Game review sources NEVER think of their word as god, but they still have to face the fact that many people out there consider it as such.  Mostly only devout gamers will take a review and look at the name of that reviewer and compare the certain tastes of that reviewer and how those tastes will influence the review and how those tastes can differ from ones personal preference to balance out that reviewers opinion to an application of how the reviewers opinion can reflect what would be their own.  Being a mouthfull aside... it is way more commom that a gamer will pick up a mag onile or printed and say' "this scored this so it must only be this good".

There should be more of a solution to develop a personality of the reviewer and their "quirks", and make them publicly known so that the random gamer looking for a random review can make a reference between the reviewer and their own preference.  GB does this already by just the nature of their fans, and that does help the site work well, still giving the individual reviewers personality, aside from the fear of gaining fandom, should be important to explaining why a certain review is described.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dalai

Nobody should ever follow the word of one person or you'll never come to your own conclusions.  There are a number of reviews in which I agree with Jeff (GTAIV) and some that I don't (Brawl)... and I always look elsewhere for a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th opinion.

I came to Giant Bomb not because of the reviews, but because of the podcast which is one of the best in gaming.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By serbsta

I can see where this is headed...

*plays slave drum music*

BOOM

BOOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Die for Dethklok... I mean GiantBomb!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By RHCPfan24
Dalai said:
"Nobody should ever follow the word of one person or you'll never come to your own conclusions.  There are a number of reviews in which I agree with Jeff (GTAIV) and some that I don't (Brawl)... and I always look elsewhere for a 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th opinion.

I came to Giant Bomb not because of the reviews, but because of the podcast which is one of the best in gaming."
I agree with you there (although I think Brawl still should have been a 4).  The podcast is the best part of this site, even if I really love Jeff, Ryan, Brad and Vinny like internet brothers.  Those guys are great, but I am not going to revere any of them or stick exclusively to their opinions.  Thankfully, though, they are just pretty cool dudes.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By keyhunter

Well that was fucking pointless.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ThomasP

I really enjoy the podcast and the funny commentary that ensues throughout the site and the main blog, Jeff is a big part of that. I don't think any one person should be looked upon to make our decisions. I read multiple reviews, but always Jeff's. Sometimes I agree (Professor Layton). Sometimes I don't (Gears 2, Smash Bros).

I'm not surprised he's a popular figure in the industry. He's funny and old school. He's been covering games for quite sometime and he isn't afraid to share his opinion. I do believe others like the creators themselves deserve more credit and recognition... much more.

Great read Lies.... now Breathe... breathe in the air. :)

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By irishjohn

This should be a blog, dude.  And please, PLEASE proofread stuff before you post it!  It's a frustrating reading experience.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#31  Edited By JackiJinx

I appreciate this blog. I wish more people would write crazy in-depth blogs about interesting things.

I don't know if I can completely agree with everything said, but there's no denying that Jeff has an insane following. Hell, that's why I'm here, really, because I know the guy's cool and knows what he's talking about.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Absurd

You have more than 10 comments. :P

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lies
Absurd said:
"You have more than 10 comments. :P"
That's because I wrote about something inflammatory :P Flamebait= comments.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jakob187

Lies, you know you got witty and insightful blogs...so consider this the pin in the balloon that is becoming your ego, fool!!!  =  P

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lies
jakob187 said:
"Lies, you know you got witty and insightful blogs...so consider this the pin in the balloon that is becoming your ego, fool!!!  =  P"
QUE?
QUE?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You got B^U in my Giant Bomb.
That's like AIDS in my drinking water

:(

PremierOctopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PremierOctopus

I was not on the 'Jeff Gerstman bandwaagon' before giantbomb, and to me he's just one of the people that make up this site. Games bring with them a strange persona and hordes of even strange people. It does get annoying though how people straight away at the comments after a review say something like "great review Jeff" or "can I marry you?" OK, maybe the last one wasn't true but they should just come out and say it, as it is pretty much the same thing.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lies
zitosilva said:
"Interesting, though I think that you fell a little in your conclusion, it was a great read.

I'm not so sure if the Giantbomb people are here just because of admiration for the editors. I think it's something more in the lines of what Jakob said. You don't feel that artifical professional air in here. The whole idea of criticism being based on point of views is what makes this site great in my opinion. No one tries to impose a fake impartiality, and because of that the user base reviews are very good as well, giving you a good overview of a game.

That's what I feel anyway, though I don't really base my purchases on reviews I think that here they are more valuable.

Now, for the whole phenomenom of people following an image, I guess you could go study psycology to find out more about that. You mentioned it yourself, followers of any kind exist in any medium. People like having an image to which they can rely part of their identity, to which they believe will portray part of their beliefs. If that's a good thing or not is not up to me to decide, but it exists."
Yeah, I felt the conclusion was a little shaky too, but this sort of behavior almost defies analysis. And I know people visit GiantBomb for reasons other than the personalities, but a portion visits exclusively for that, and that sort of follower mentality exists elsewhere too, which is more what I was going after. It's not so much why do people visit GiantBomb, but more why does this particular subset worship the games press so much?

Irishjohn said:
"This should be a blog, dude.  And please, PLEASE proofread stuff before you post it!  It's a frustrating reading experience."
It is a blog, and I don't see any typographical errors, but feel free to point them out if you caught something I did not.
Superchris129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Superchris129

So... You're gay for Kevin VanOrd? K, thx.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dalai

Oh yeah, the true Jeff fanatic knows you misspelled Gerstmann.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lies
Dalai said:
"Oh yeah, the true Jeff fanatic knows you misspelled Gerstmann."
I actually checked to make sure of the spelling, but with the proper spelling the title was one character too long XD So I had to chop off one N to fit the whole title.

SO HA!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Guest

It's really simple, actually.  People listened to The Hotspot, which Jeff hosted.  Now the GiantBombCast is basically what The Hotspot was back then.  It's because he's entertaining and people listened to the show every week.  People like their entertainers.  I think that the show was about gaming was somewhat incidental.  Sure, an interest in gaming is why people give it a listen in the first place, but let's just say that I've heard some rather dull gaming podcasts.  Just because somoene is on a show covering a niche topic for a niche group doesn't make them any less interesting than the people on television.  Hell, let's face it:  A lot of the people that have their own television shows are complete idiots.  I was irritated myself when Rich Gallup left, and had it been the case that he was fired under equally questionable circumstances, as opposed to him deciding it was time to move on to a different job, I'm sure there would have been a similar uproar.  If it was just some editor who people only knew from text reviews and news stories or whatever, they might not have even known the name and probably wouldn't have cared nearly as much.

While all of the controversy was about the Kane and Lynch review, I really don't think that Gerstmann's "cult of personality," as you put it, had much of anything to do with his reviews.  At any rate, I have to say that The Hotspot kind of sucks now.  Tor was doing okay as host; he was no Gerstmann or Gallup, but he held it together pretty well, especially considering the other people on the show struck me as being subtly hostile towards him for some reason.  Now they kicked him off as host and it just kind of feels like nobody on there really gives a crap at all, which is probably accurate.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LiquidPrince

Jeff is awesome, and I really like listening to his reviews, but I also like Brad, Ryan, and Vinny as well. This site has some of the best personalities on the net for games. All they need now is Alex Navarro and Rich Gallup and we're set. That, and to crank out game reviews faster.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By yellownumber5
Guest said:
"It's really simple, actually.  People listened to The Hotspot, which Jeff hosted.  Now the GiantBombCast is basically what The Hotspot was back then.  It's because he's entertaining and people listened to the show every week.  People like their entertainers.  I think that the show was about gaming was somewhat incidental.  Sure, an interest in gaming is why people give it a listen in the first place, but let's just say that I've heard some rather dull gaming podcasts.  Just because somoene is on a show covering a niche topic for a niche group doesn't make them any less interesting than the people on television.  Hell, let's face it:  A lot of the people that have their own television shows are complete idiots.  I was irritated myself when Rich Gallup left, and had it been the case that he was fired under equally questionable circumstances, as opposed to him deciding it was time to move on to a different job, I'm sure there would have been a similar uproar.  If it was just some editor who people only knew from text reviews and news stories or whatever, they might not have even known the name and probably wouldn't have cared nearly as much.

While all of the controversy was about the Kane and Lynch review, I really don't think that Gerstmann's "cult of personality," as you put it, had much of anything to do with his reviews.  At any rate, I have to say that The Hotspot kind of sucks now.  Tor was doing okay as host; he was no Gerstmann or Gallup, but he held it together pretty well, especially considering the other people on the show struck me as being subtly hostile towards him for some reason.  Now they kicked him off as host and it just kind of feels like nobody on there really gives a crap at all, which is probably accurate."
Actually that is not the impression I got after Jeff had been let go.  Up till last fall '07 Gamespot was a solid group of friends that had to be devided because of circumstances.  No one on the original Gamespot crew wanted it to happen this way.  I still feel family and friends have become devided unwillingly, and if it wasn't for the politics or loyalties this whole drama would have been fairly moot.  People need their fucking jobs... and they like doing what they do.  It was a major risk Ryan, Vinny, and Brad took.
Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Aurelito
Bucketdeth said:
"GB can be somewhat of a Jeff fanboy club sometimes and it can be annoying, since if you disagree your asking yourself to be pummeled into a flame war tornado, and about the thing saying jeff isn`t the best writer or whatever, hey I respect your opinion but I could also say that about anyone who reviews, I could say Gamasutra blows, it`s all about opinion.
I`m obviously on GB because I love the site and reviews so I may be a little biased but thats just me."
That's exactly what i wanted to say.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

While you make some good points, but I've always found the affection people have to game reviewers to be fairly self explanatory. It's a pretty logical thing to only focus on only a couple of review sites for your reviews. That way you get to know about the reviewers likes and dislikes when it comes to games, so you can read their review, know their biases, and be able to relate their review to your own personal tastes. For example I know that Jeff is a huge fan of the mortal kombat games, so I can look at his extremely positive MK Vs. DC review and filter it to make an educated decision on whether I should buy it.

Now, if you spend allot of your time focusing on the writing of a select few people, you will naturally grow used to writing styles, sense of humour etc. and grow affectionate towards them. When I first joined GameSpot I used to think the obsession with Jeff, Rich and the rest of the GameSpot guys was pretty stupid. But as I started to use the site more, watch OTS, listen to the hotspot, read reviews, previews, features etc. I began to see what it was all about.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Woah, this is a great blog lies! Here's my 2 cents

Reviewing games and the reviews we choose to accept all comes down to personal preference. Jeff may not be the greatest writer but he has a lot of personality - which is important in the context of game reviews. One game review by itself is fairly useless, I feel only through familiarising yourself with the writer and his personal tastes can you hope to gain any sort of context for an opinion. Well, I have been listening to Jeff for a long time, and it made sense to go on doing so. It may have been a fairly mindless decision to simply drop everything at IGN and jump over to Giantbomb, but the prospect of something new and exciting was too much to pass up...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Guest
yellownumber5 said:
"Guest said:
"It's really simple, actually.  People listened to The Hotspot, which Jeff hosted.  Now the GiantBombCast is basically what The Hotspot was back then.  It's because he's entertaining and people listened to the show every week.  People like their entertainers.  I think that the show was about gaming was somewhat incidental.  Sure, an interest in gaming is why people give it a listen in the first place, but let's just say that I've heard some rather dull gaming podcasts.  Just because someone is on a show covering a niche topic for a niche group doesn't make them any less interesting than the people on television.  Hell, let's face it:  A lot of the people that have their own television shows are complete idiots.  I was irritated myself when Rich Gallup left, and had it been the case that he was fired under equally questionable circumstances, as opposed to him deciding it was time to move on to a different job, I'm sure there would have been a similar uproar.  If it was just some editor who people only knew from text reviews and news stories or whatever, they might not have even known the name and probably wouldn't have cared nearly as much.

While all of the controversy was about the Kane and Lynch review, I really don't think that Gerstmann's "cult of personality," as you put it, had much of anything to do with his reviews.  At any rate, I have to say that The HotSpot kind of sucks now.  Tor was doing okay as host; he was no Gerstmann or Gallup, but he held it together pretty well, especially considering the other people on the show struck me as being subtly hostile towards him for some reason.  Now they kicked him off as host and it just kind of feels like nobody on there really gives a crap at all, which is probably accurate."
Actually that is not the impression I got after Jeff had been let go.  Up till last fall '07 Gamespot was a solid group of friends that had to be devided because of circumstances.  No one on the original Gamespot crew wanted it to happen this way.  I still feel family and friends have become devided unwillingly, and if it wasn't for the politics or loyalties this whole drama would have been fairly moot.  People need their fucking jobs... and they like doing what they do.  It was a major risk Ryan, Vinny, and Brad took."
I'm talking about all of the hoopla on the GameSpot forums that started in like under 24 hours of Gerstmann's firing and Gerstmann loyalty from readers / listeners in general.  I'm not talking about his colleagues in the game journalism business.

Personally, I could not name a single current game journalist off of the top of my head that isn't also part of a podcast.
RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RandomHero666
TwoOneFive said:
"RandomHero666 said:
"I Agree with 99% of everyting you just said.

* = no homo"
you love jeff? have you ever even met the guy or spoken with him?
i like his review and writing style, he's pretty cool in interviews etc, and his web site is fuckin great, but come on, i don't actually know the guy. 
"
i dont know him personally no, and i dont mean love in a literal sense, in the same way i love everyone** here
** = not black rose
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Snail
keyhunter said:
"Well that was fucking pointless."
You are fucking pointless.

I just read Sweep's blog and I don't want to read this now, will read it later. =P