The Name of That Game That Kicks Your Ass Today Thread

Avatar image for subliminalkitteh
SubliminalKitteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What games do you go back to to see how they hold up, only to realize how hard they are?

I recently found my copy of Might & Magic 1: Secret of the Inner Sanctum for NES, and HOLY &^(&*% how did I ever get anywhere in that game? Torches and basic Light spell only last one square, map only fills in when lit, and you can't check it without lights on. The very first battle could have 5 enemies, or 20. Lol RNG have fun leveling when stats are raised by dice rolls. No gold from battle, you need to search before leaving said square or treasure is lost FOREVER. Every treasure could be trapped, even leather bags just dropped from combat, PRO TIP only ever choose UNTRAP option with a robber to not get your party killed. There is no one way to do the game, so very few if none at all in terms of walkthrough exist.

TL;DR I do love the music

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I just started playing Skyrim again. Built a new PC November of last year and wanted to see the game maxed out(and bought the DLC on sale). I am playing all stealth, emphasis on bow & arrow + dagger. I have no trouble while stealthing, but when my cover is blown I can barley fight more then 2 people at once. Last time I played I was a heavy armor guy + sword and shield and rarely remember having trouble with guys.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c148ccea785b
deactivated-5c148ccea785b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

motherfucking X-COM.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Since I got bored with Bloodborne, I returned to Dark Souls 2 Hyper Edition @ ++ etc. I never did play the DLC and now Shulva has been handing me my ass on a poisonous platter for a few hours.

Substance_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still haven't beaten Braid or Super Meat Boy. Whenever I try, I just get frustrated and quit.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

As someone who only played console games growing up (and avoided some of the rough PC games that are notorious for this sort of thing), I feel this doesn't happen. Every time I go back to an older game that gave me trouble, I find myself absolutely crushing it.

Papissama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demon's Souls... can't stand it...

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Homeworld kicked my ass pretty hard when I bought the remastered version.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ry_Ry

Don't laugh, but I've never been able to finish Mega Man 2

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The original Xbox version of Ninja Gaiden is the only game I got so frustrated by that I stopped playing. Nothing else has struck that balance where it's just deep and interesting enough that I want to give it a shot, but so fucking frustrating that I couldn't deal with it.

For the record I have beaten high difficulty modes in games like the original DMC 3 but that still didn't piss me off nearly as much as NG. Even though it's arguably a "harder" game.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It says something about Dark Souls II: SOTFS that I have to go back to Dark Souls just to calm myself down. The penalty for death is actually a punishment and eventually robs you of the opportunity to learn. Also, you deal with multiple enemies almost from the start so there's no ramp. Its like continuing Dark Souls but hitting the reset button on your character beforehand.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sinusoidal

@skullpanda1 said:

Don't laugh, but I've never been able to finish Mega Man 2

Don't play the rest of them then. 2 is the easiest by a long shot.

Battletoads and TMNT for NES. I played the crap out of them as a kid and never beat them. Still haven't to this day.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Battletoads

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: see that's what's sad. The others that I've played (X, 8 & 9) I have finished.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I'm getting rid of Dark Souls II. I wish I never bought it.

Lucifunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Game of Life son! Feeling like a one legged man in ass kicking contest.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Braid, couldn't wrap my mind around what it wanted me to do and felt that it controlled like shit. Elected to just watch someone else beat it, was a better use of my time.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Donkey Kong Country is way harder than I remember.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ripelivejam

elite dangerous, and i'm only doing the training missions >_<

e: but man do i love the feel of my HOTAS

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@l1ghtn1n said:

@historyinrust: DKC1 has some rough spots but DKC2 is a bitch, especially Bramble Blast. One of my favorite games but fuck that level, if it wasn't for the fantastic music I probably would have snapped my controller.

For real. The music in this series deserves serious praise.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I *tried* to play Jet Moto 2 the other day

Emphasis on tried. My god.

MrTrainman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for a game I go back to, Kingdom Hearts 1 actually gave me some trouble. I never played it back in the day but picked it up in the HD collection a year or so ago. I made the decision to sacrifice defense in the beginning and while it made the game a delightfully challenging adventure in the beginning/middle, the very end of that game absolutely wrecks me. I had an easier time with the Souls games tbh. Still never went back and fully finished it.

Moeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just jumped into Crypt of the NecroDancer two days back, been getting my a** handed over to me over and over again.

Woowookins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Woowookins
nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

@moeed said:

I just jumped into Crypt of the NecroDancer two days back, been getting my a** handed over to me over and over again.

Holy hell is this game much more difficult than I anticipated. I just got to level 2, felt real good about my level 1 run, and died in seconds. I love it though.

Moeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Moeed

@nickhead:

EXACT same thing happened to me. Now I can't even beat the first level despite managing it the very first time I played it.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Every now and then, I remember how much I like XCOM: Enemy Unknown, reinstall it, and say to myself "ok, this time I'm going to play on Hard Ironman and not give up forever as soon as one mission goes bad and my squad gets wiped".

And every time, I either end up uninstalling it, or playing on Normal Ironman instead.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@mrtrainman said:

As for a game I go back to, Kingdom Hearts 1 actually gave me some trouble. I never played it back in the day but picked it up in the HD collection a year or so ago. I made the decision to sacrifice defense in the beginning and while it made the game a delightfully challenging adventure in the beginning/middle, the very end of that game absolutely wrecks me. I had an easier time with the Souls games tbh. Still never went back and fully finished it.

You should definitely go back and beat it. That is one game that I can confidently say (albeit as a KH fan) consistently becomes more interesting as you progress through it, all the way through the end. The final boss fight is great... which let's be honest though.. Sephiroth is the real Boss of that game.