• 50 results
Posted by Fattony12000 (7094 posts) -
General Ryan T. Davis looks towards a brighter future for his people, which is somewhere over on the right hand side of the screen for some reason.

Hello!

It's me! Your good old timey friend! Y'know, Fattony12000? That guy wh...h-hey where are y-you going!? It's okay duder, I'm not here to ask anything OF you; I'm here to GIVE YOU some free digital data! Namely in the form of a totally work in progress, totally kinda sub par (at least for now) modification for the Ryan Davis-approved video game Sid Meier's Civilization V. At this stage of development many of the core things I want to implement are still nebulous, but I think I'm forming a somewhat cohesive picture in my mind's eye for how I want The Nation of Taswell to look, play and feel inside of the game. Nebulous enough that I am, of course, open to suggestions and comments from each and all of you. Hit me up!

Have a look at this mod on Steam Workshop, if you subscribe you'll get "updates" "automagically" "as" and "when" I "push" them "out"

Development Diary

To give you a very brief word picture of what I currently have floating around in my mind for this mod:

A Civilization that is focussed more on culture/music/religion/Great People (you know you gots to get those dope custom Great Musicians)/modern-era technologies (mass media/communications-type stuff). As opposed to a militaristic or commerce-based Civ.

1. The atomic bomb could be tweaked and renamed the Giant Bomb, obviously. (partially done)
  2. Add a new technology and/or buildings/units relating to the sphere of video games. This may take a while. (partially done)
  3. Adjusting China's AI to somehow ignore/care less about what this Civ does.
  4. Change the colours used for the Civ and the units that are part of it. I'm thinking some hench New Balance colourway.
  5. Make the names, descriptions, units, abilities and traits not placeholder. (partially done)
  6. Add more/better copy to the mod description, Civ selection and Dawn of Man text. (partially done)
  7. Add custom music/sound effects. I'm thinking about making a new voice-over for the Dawn of Man intro. (a little bit done)
  8. Make a proper icon for the Civ, right now it's just a tiny Ryan face, which is great (of course), but I wanna try and keep to Sid's style guide. (partially done)

Changelog

• Update: 12 Feb @ 11:23pm
  • Added new (but still placeholder!) artwork for Ryan's leader scene.
  • Added code+names for Great Prophets, I plan to replace the current names with more fitting choices soon.

"General Ryan T. Davis" artwork by Rexcellent on Giant Bomb, kindly used with his permission.

Mod concept and code by Fattony12000 on Giant Bomb and Twitter, based on work by Vice Virtuoso and Tomatekh.

From the Heart

It's got a salute in it, so, errr...it's kinda related to the theme of this mod thing? I guess?

Thanks, Ryan. I just wish I had made this dumb thing years ago, whilst you were still around to pour your scorn upon it!

Deep Down Data

To this:

• 07/02/14 = 2,539 visitors + 156 subscribers
  • 11/02/14 = 3,817 visitors + 291 subscribers
  • 12/02/14 = 4,081 visitors + 368 subscribers
  • 13/02/14 = 4,198 visitors + 424 subscribers

Humble Pie

Oh, and whilst you're here you may as well buy ALL OF THE CIVILIZATIONS courtesy of the latest Humble Bundle right now! It's almost, almost like I planned for this to happen somehow. (You've got 7 days left on the sale, at the time of my modifying of this message.)

And thaaat will just about do it I reckon! Ta very much for sitting there and scrolling your mouse wheel down this far. We all thank you for your patronage, yeah, even that guy sat way in the back. Even though he doesn't show it, he really thinks you're great for being cool enough to make it this far.

<>

#1 Posted by TheHT (10930 posts) -

Awesome! Good timing for folks who want to get thier Civ on thanks to the Humble Bundle.

I'll subscribe on Steam and look forward to seeing this progress!

#2 Posted by Brodehouse (9640 posts) -

Cool. Might actually run a game with this.

King of the Driveway bonus, all units get +15% attack when on roads?

#3 Posted by konig_kei (597 posts) -

Now all you gotta do is the same thing for Europa Universalis 4 and world peace will be achieved.

#4 Posted by Xymox (2071 posts) -

I'm so glad this finally exists in some form. Will use it the next time I feel like playing Civ. :>

#5 Posted by Nightriff (4923 posts) -

I will download when I get home later today, nice tribute to Mr. Ryan Davis

#6 Posted by mrcool11 (469 posts) -

Bonus damage against helicopters

#7 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

Duders Unite !

#8 Edited by Nightriff (4923 posts) -

Subscribed and commented, can't wait to try it out. What bonuses did you end up giving Sir Ryan?

#10 Edited by Nightriff (4923 posts) -

I say a significant bonus to culture, no one was more cultured than Ryan when it came to music, movies and video games.

EDIT: Special Unit is Cool Baby? Don't know who he would replace....

#11 Edited by Fattony12000 (7094 posts) -
@theht said:

Awesome! Good timing for folks who want to get thier Civ on thanks to the Humble Bundle.

I'll subscribe on Steam and look forward to seeing this progress!

@konig_kei said:

Now all you gotta do is the same thing for Europa Universalis 4 and world peace will be achieved.

@xymox said:

I'm so glad this finally exists in some form. Will use it the next time I feel like playing Civ. :>

@nightriff said:

I will download when I get home later today, nice tribute to Mr. Ryan Davis

@thatdutchguy said:

Duders Unite !

@nightriff said:

Subscribed and commented, can't wait to try it out. What bonuses did you end up giving Sir Ryan?

Thanks for all of your kind comments duders, and thanks for checking this out this early! I reckonyou people will have already noticed, but I'll restate it down here for those Johnny-come-latelies:

This mod is Early Access, Pre-Alpha, Steam Greenlight, Kickstarter, Freemium, Beta software and was released to the wide, wide world in an unfinished state. This mod will remain in an unfinished state for a good while yet. I have released this mod this early so that I actually have some motivation to finish this thing. I will endeavour to only push working updates to this mod, but be prepared for terrible explosions and horrible fires at any point. I thank you.

Down with this sort of thing!

These sorts of things, for example, are actually the kinds of sorts of things that I'd be looking to include in this mod! Relatively simple in terms of code, I would, for example (again), find a land unit like an infantryman or SAM launcher and give it a bit of a buff up in stats, tweak some flavour text and maybe change the unit icon. Stuff like that.

@mrcool11 said:

Bonus damage against helicopters

@brodehouse said:

King of the Driveway bonus, all units get +15% attack when on roads?

Please feel free to suggest and/or contribute right here in this thread with other ideas and silliness!

#12 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

Personally thinking we could have giant bombadiers for the special unit. I can't quite think of a good building though. Name it WhiskeyMedia Offices and maybe have that be a National Epic? I'm turning into you and been slacking off on coming up with the nation description etc!

#13 Edited by Cloudleet (155 posts) -

Spies= Narcs

Oh, and keep up the good work, I so can't wait to try this!

#14 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1539 posts) -

Awesome

#15 Edited by Tajasaurus (802 posts) -

I don't play Civ but this looks really, really neat.

#16 Posted by Itwongo (1132 posts) -

I'm desperately trying to come up with something both humorous and conceptually interesting to suggest for his ability...

What victory would Ryan go for if he ran a nation? I feel like diplomacy would be fitting. I mean, he's good at getting guest stars on the site, why not city-states too? It would also allow for military shenanigans.

Also city names. I'm trying to think of dumb locations the guys have named previously. So far I have Cabo San Wabo and Slime Square.

#17 Posted by TheHT (10930 posts) -

@itwongo: Petaluma and Kentia Hall come to mind. Kentia Hall could be an exclusive world wonder or something.

#18 Posted by Brackynews (4049 posts) -
@itwongo said:

What victory would Ryan go for if he ran a nation? I feel like diplomacy would be fitting. I mean, he's good at getting guest stars on the site, why not city-states too? It would also allow for military shenanigans.

My memory for podcasts is pretty good, and I want to say that he said exactly what kind of Civ player he is on one of the special event 'casts. (E3, DICE, etc.)

#19 Posted by Vuud (1943 posts) -

No "Baller Time" power up that nukes every city on the map?

#20 Edited by ronindrummer200 (24 posts) -

"The summer jams playlist" wonder

Some sort of cultural structure

#21 Posted by Zalrus9 (107 posts) -

That looks awesome! Way to take initiative!

How about the swordsman are changed to face and neck stabbers, and have a higher attack, but lower defense. Although I don't know what they would look like...

or perhaps Ryan Davis MODOK looking things...?

Great job!

#22 Edited by Fattony12000 (7094 posts) -

Testing out some city names...

I am having a bit of difficulty getting my tweak of the Atomic Bomb unit to work properly though, if anyone can shed any light on why my (seemingly) correct code inserted into the (seemingly) correct CIV5Units.xml file under the (seemingly) correct Units folder just isn't working, that'd be great! I have a mod template that I'm using to help learn/test this stuff out, and the other custom unit already set up inside that does work just fine.

Pastebin of my code.

@earlessshrimp said:

Personally thinking we could have giant bombadiers for the special unit. I can't quite think of a good building though. Name it WhiskeyMedia Offices and maybe have that be a National Epic? I'm turning into you and been slacking off on coming up with the nation description etc!

@cloudleet said:

Spies= Narcs

Nice ideas, duders. Thanks! I especially like the spy one as it'd be relatively simple to implement, I think!

#23 Posted by DeiNile (38 posts) -

Vinny needs to be a Great Scientists / Engineer.

#24 Posted by NicksCorner (414 posts) -

A great tribute, gj duder!

#25 Posted by Fattony12000 (7094 posts) -

Update: 11 Feb @ 1:16am

• Added some city names!
  • Added some spy names!
  • Added complete set of icon images, some of which may be subject to change!
  • Added placeholder DOM copy and image!
  • Added placeholder Atlas image to Civ select screen!
  • Added some Civilopedia copy!
  • Added a placeholder unique unit!
  • Added a placeholder unique building!
#26 Posted by Marino (4604 posts) -

@fattony12000: I'm late, but this is on the front page of this here site now.

Staff Online
#27 Posted by afabs515 (1014 posts) -

@deinile said:

Vinny needs to be a Great Scientists / Engineer.

Completely agree. Vinny, Dave, Rorie, Ian, Alexis. So many great names to choose from. This mod is awesome. Will definitely subscribe as soon as I get back to my desktop.

#28 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

Hey, I liked this on steam! Nice job again, Fattony!

#29 Posted by FinalDasa (1510 posts) -

Just subscribed to this the other night! Great work!

#30 Posted by Skyfire543 (660 posts) -

This is awesome! I'll defiantly be subscribing.

Also, great video. You said what I wanted to say back when it happened, but couldn't find the courage to get out there and make a video or write something.
And I hope you don't mind me asking where you got the awesome Metropolis poster you have framed.

#31 Edited by Fattony12000 (7094 posts) -
@earlessshrimp said:

/shakes fist! BUT THINGS ARE HARD TO DOOOOO! For now, I am working to implement a unique unit called the Giant Bomb (a tweaked version of the Atomic Bomb, which'll replace the standard unit) and a unique building called the Whiskey Media Office (I have no idea what it'll replace or what it'll do, yet). You can have multiple unique units and buildings per Civ, but for now I'm just working out how to get one of each up and running. Once I have the process and code down, it should be fairly simple to add a bunch more.

@cloudleet said:

Spies= Narcs

I wonder if I can change the name of that type of unit, hmmm...I'll look into it! I did just push an update out that gives names to all nine spies, though.

@alwaysbebombing said:

Awesome

Thanks! We've still got a ways to go to get it to where it deserves to be, but I'll keep working at it!

@tajasaurus said:

I don't play Civ but this looks really, really neat.

Try it out for cheap, if you wanna! It's a great version of the game to get stuck into.

"Oh, and whilst you're here you may as well buy ALL OF THE CIVILIZATIONS courtesy of the latest Humble Bundle right now! It's almost, almost like I planned for this to happen somehow. (You've got 7 days left on the sale, at the time of my modifying of this message.)"

#32 Posted by HellknightLeon (454 posts) -

Forgot to say... ITS about time you shared this. Awesome work. Love it and I'm happy to smash people under the mighty boot of Taswell. Rest well King.

#33 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@fattony12000: Personally I'm thinking it could be a castle or maybe one of the various culture buildings? Unless we want to elevate the whisky media offices to an epic, which would totally make sense.

P.S. if you do get the process down, maaaaybe rename the bomb shelter to a giantbomb shelter? I mean, since the A-Bomb will be the giant bomb, right?

#34 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

Haha! thats actually kind of amazing dude!

#35 Posted by Y2Ken (1082 posts) -

This is incredible, duder. Can't wait to see the final implementation - loving the suggested ideas.

If you can get #3 to work, it might be my favourite part of this whole thing. What a great idea ahahahaha!

#36 Posted by BooDoug187 (340 posts) -

@fattony12000: You could make the Whiskey Media Building a world wonder or a culture type building.

#37 Posted by razielrioux (125 posts) -

Could we possibly name a unit any of the following, Lobtah Montha, (Any aquatic unit, think U.S.S Lobtha Montha) Saucepan Man, and J.T.Drake

#38 Posted by LostInClvrfld (2 posts) -

Anyone else having trouble getting this to load? When I grab the mod it flickers in the mod menu and disappears.

#39 Edited by Fattony12000 (7094 posts) -

@lostinclvrfld: Do you have Gods & Kings and/or Brave New World installed? I think you gotta have one or both of them active in order for this mod to work. Could you send me any screenshots/videos of the error? Also, I am creating and testing this mod with only this mod active + the 2 DLCs mentioned above. I currently have no idea what incompatibilities may be introduced by playing with other stuff turned on at the same time.

I apologise for your inconvenience!

#40 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (947 posts) -

Rider Meet Horse, Horse Meet Rider - extra damage against mounted units.

Narc by Nature - (some kind of spy buff)

#41 Edited by Blair (2501 posts) -

This is so wonderful.

#42 Posted by LostInClvrfld (2 posts) -

@fattony12000 I only own Gods & Kings so maybe that is why I am having issues then.

#43 Posted by Crembaw (318 posts) -

A Video Game Website -- +1 Gold/Culture/Science for every city in every Civilization that has reached the Modern Era.

Fast, Furious -- +1 Movement to every non-Infantry Land Unit when you reach the Modern Era.

Happy Hour -- Golden Ages give double the bonuses.

Just tossing in some ideas for Civ special whatevers. This is rad, man.

#44 Posted by JCHenderson (120 posts) -

Such a great tribute!!!

Only idea I had was a "It's Tuesday" bonus that you get every 7 turns

#45 Posted by MankMachinery (46 posts) -

Rider Meet Horse, Horse Meet Rider - extra damage against mounted units.

Definitely this.

#46 Edited by Rigas (13 posts) -

I cant get it to show up in my mods list! what am I doing wrong?!

#47 Posted by PimblyCharles (1319 posts) -

Dude, you're totally not fat. But you do you like Twin Peaks, so I'll give you a pass.

This is beautiful.

#48 Posted by Accolade (303 posts) -

This is what I want.

#49 Posted by Eladren (78 posts) -

@rigas said:

I cant get it to show up in my mods list! what am I doing wrong?!

the same thing happens to me, i've reinstalled everything now and still doesnt show up

#50 Posted by SharkMan (636 posts) -

I'm sure there are some modelers in the community that could help you make the units