• 147 results
#1 Posted by TheAdmin (715 posts) -

So what's up with Alex Navarro slowly creeping into all the Giant Bomb Quick looks?

I think there is a bigger conspiracy here. First,  he worked at Gamespot and we all know how that place turned out. Then he moved over to Harmonix. Shortly thereafter, but not before he left, now the company is being sold by Viacom. Now that he's a screened, we all know this will probably cause IMDB to go out of business. Finally, he's set his sights on Giant Bomb. Ready to repeat the cycle of internet destruction and to destroy Whiskey Media as a whole.  

Theres probably no way to stop it at this point... once a place has been Navarro'd there's no going back...  

ok, back on topic, seriously, what's up with that?

#2 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5463 posts) -

I guess we'll have to see if it keeps up past the holiday season! 

#3 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4859 posts) -

Lack of movies, abundance of video games.

#4 Posted by XenoNick (1481 posts) -

Properly just helping out with the workload for the holiday season. I don't mind it as I find Alex funny.

#5 Posted by applet0n (654 posts) -
@GunslingerPanda said:
" Lack of movies, abundance of video games. "
Plus, Alex is a pretty cool guy.
#6 Posted by StormTrooper (41 posts) -

eh, if i were going to pick five gamespotters to follow to another site it would have been jeff, vinny, ryan, brad and alex.  ...assuming, of course, that rich gallup is ineligible.  and now that i'm thinking about it... maybe i'd have switched one of them out for justin calvert, but that's mostly just because he's got a cool accent. 

the point is, obviously, that alex should start speaking with a british accent.

#7 Posted by Mrskidders (1330 posts) -

I wish he would just stay with Screened.com.  He is too sneery and condescending.

#8 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -

Personally, I'm always glad to see some more Navarro in Giant Bomb related shennanigans.  Other than that, I honestly don't know why it started now.  It's cool anyways.

#9 Posted by dutch42 (533 posts) -

I welcome added Navarro. I guess I'm just oldschool like that.
#10 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4859 posts) -

Although "this is a thing" is really starting to annoy the shit out of me.

#11 Posted by SaucyJack (87 posts) -

I don't mind Alex, it seems he's just helping out with the current abundance of games and news. I like his personality on the Screened podcast and the recent Quick Looks.

#12 Posted by roc_553 (210 posts) -

Alex Navarro Is Ruining My Life!

#13 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

He annoys me.

#14 Posted by Zithe (1040 posts) -

Alex is usually fine, but when he's with Ryan it sometimes seems like he just parrots Ryan's opinions. This causes everything to be said twice which is sort of annoying. But that doesn't happen all the time.

#15 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -
@applet0n said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
Plus, Alex is a pretty cool guy. "
#16 Posted by jim_dandy (891 posts) -

I for one welcome our new Navarro overlord. /oldmeme

#17 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3116 posts) -

I want to see Vinny and Alex working together on a quicklook.  Also, I want to see them fight.  Not sure why.

#18 Posted by Chris2KLee (2338 posts) -

It's not like he's some new jack off the street. The man has an abundance of video game reviewing experience, and if he chooses to help out on GB I'm all for it. I personally like Alex, and think he meshes well with GB and Whiskey Media in general.

#19 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

When Alex tries to be informative, he's alright to watch, but when he tries to be funny... Oooohh lordy lordy lordy.

#20 Posted by RoboRobb (1054 posts) -

As an old school 'On The Spot' enthusiast, I fully support Alex Navarro being more intwined in Giantbomb. Now, If only we could persuade Rich Gallup to start hosting TNT and Happy Hour, my life would be complete.

#21 Posted by LiquidPrince (16175 posts) -
@applet0n said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
This.
#22 Posted by coaxmetal (1657 posts) -
@applet0n said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
Yup, This stuff.
#23 Posted by csl316 (9438 posts) -

he plays drums, i play guitar, so can't complain about fellow musicians playing video games

#24 Posted by ThePickle (4167 posts) -

Wow. I didn't know every hated Alex over here. That's a damn shame. He deserves much better. 

#25 Posted by audiosnag (1582 posts) -

I don't understand the alex hate. I like him. Plus as was pointed out, its not like he's to this.
I don't understand the Brad N hate either but that's a little off topic.

#26 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

I don't think people get that Alex's condescending sneeryness is either A: Not serious or B: Aimed towards something that deserves to be shit all over. I mean, he pretty much created a career out of reviewing terrible games back at GS. Dude's good at ripping on bad shit. That's why he's been so golden for the Kinect quick looks lately.

#27 Posted by SavUK (79 posts) -

Nowt wrong with Mr. Navarro. I think it's good to mix up the regular crew now and again. I thought he has complimented Ryan well in the recent Kinect themed quick looks.

#28 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -
@punkxblaze said:
" I don't think people get that Alex's condescending sneeryness is either A: Not serious or B: Aimed towards something that deserves to be shit all over. I mean, he pretty much created a career out of reviewing terrible games back at GS. Dude's good at ripping on bad shit. That's why he's been so golden for the Kinect quick looks lately. "
I agree. I think people take him to literally. Plus like you said, he is really good at ripping apart bad games.
#29 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

I avoid his Quick Looks.  There is nothing I like him.

#30 Posted by CaptainCody (1521 posts) -
@Jonny7892 said:
"@applet0n said:
" @GunslingerPanda said:
"
#31 Posted by chocolaterhinovampire (1297 posts) -

I enjoy Alex so more of him is good!

#32 Edited by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

It's possible he's one of the investors or producers on the site.  

I read that info on some investor site, the info could of been wrong or maybe I remembed it incorrectly.

#33 Posted by LordAndrew (14430 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47: I believe he's what's referred to as an "employee" of Whiskey Media.
#34 Posted by CornBREDX (5990 posts) -

I like Alex and dont mind him being on GB so much.

My concern is mainly that they do very little for screened.com so that site is not always interesting to go to. They do a lot of text reviews and stuff but it's a site about movies and TV with very little video. I can't help but find that odd.

I like both movies and video games so I want both these sites to do well. Alex can be on GB all he wants but I do wish they'd find more interesting content to do on screened too. Mainly because I like both sites I guess. That, and Alex is cool so I want his site to succeed. Sometimes, I feel, maybe more than he does.

#35 Posted by Ineedaname (4319 posts) -

I do want more Dave and Drew though.

#36 Posted by GrandHarrier (180 posts) -

I've grown to enjoy him after getting into the screened podcast. I don't mind him at all in Giant Bomb related material. He has proven himself knowledgeable in both video games and movies.

#37 Posted by BackpackKat (464 posts) -

Alex wrote the best review of all time and also has the single greatest video review ever so he can stay forever as far as im concerned. Big Rigs Over the Road Racing look it up

#38 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

i don't mean to be rude, as he's just a normal dude, but i too, am not a big fan of navarro. he comes off a little pretentious some times and i'm not sure if he really has the right to. i'm sure he's plenty smart and has a great vocabulary (it is sort of his job to know a lot of words, being a journalist...), but you can tell in stuff like the quicklooks and even the bombcast where he'll just throw in unnecessary adjectives, and make extremely obscure references that nobody gets, and you can tell he thinks he's great since he's the only one that gets it.  

again, not to be rude (even though it is), but this site has it share of pretty funny staff. alex navarro can't and shouldn't try to keep up. brad knows this, and he respectfully let's them run wild. which is one reason why i like brad a lot. and when his deep voice cracks. classic. 

i'm certainly not against having him review the games, as i do think his scores are accurate, i just think his role at the site needs to be toned down. as of late, he really has kind of been in just about everything. 

-side note: i will pay for a membership if rich gallup hosts the happy hour and throws a paper ball at the camera at the end of the show.
#39 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

Alex is cool. I like seeing his reviews and quicklooks. And he doesn't complain and whinge all the time so I'm all for him being all up in Giantbomb's business.

#40 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

He's one of the classic GameSpot crew. Hes as much a Giant Bomb member as Jeff or Ryan.

#41 Posted by MightyMayorMike (423 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:

" @applet0n said:

" @GunslingerPanda said:
This. "
This x2.

I'll forever love Alex for his Big Rigs review. For the unitiated:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mB1zWEhgrLs
#42 Posted by HistoryInRust (6402 posts) -

I'm really overwhelmed by the amount of typos in this thread. Tangential, I know. But it's really getting to me. 

#43 Posted by GlenTennis (3145 posts) -

More people involved = more content = a good thing. Plus Alex seems like a pretty cool guy. I've got no problems with this.

#44 Posted by damswedon (3201 posts) -

Alex is great. 
Alex is even better when paired with Jeff.

#45 Posted by Hansolol (488 posts) -

I love Alex.

#46 Posted by dudeglove (8276 posts) -

Navarro scathing remarks are fun, plus he's the most bad ass-looking dude at Whiskey.

@audiosnag said:

" I don't understand the Brad N hate either but that's a little off topic. "
(It might have something to do with the face that he regurgitates Kotaku's articles on a regular basis, which doesn't say much because Kotaku copy n' pastes company press releases)
#48 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

Eh, he's part of the original Gamespot crew, he and Jeff go a long way back, given that he's polarising he's not a bland contributor to video content, etc. They desperately need more people to provide more content. Deal with it, the original four will become increasingly part of a larger team as the site gets bigger.

#49 Posted by ohnobruno (85 posts) -

Alex is fine. I always considered him a defacto member - he was on a lot of early podcasts - and then there is this video: 

That's all the proof I need that he belongs here.   
#50 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

To be honest I wish they replaced Brad with Alex, he is more entertaining and can actually play games.