• 65 results
#1 Edited by isomeri (1254 posts) -

Apparently they took everything from Jesse Pinkman and now he has to race hypercars.

Those car replicas look reasonably good and the cars they've chosen to feature are interesting picks. I just don't know if I can take this movie seriously. The point of the Fast and the Furious movies to me has always been how you can laugh with the movie. I don't see a hint of that in this.

#2 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4202 posts) -

I love the choir music. Hot Wheels is also doing a movie.

#3 Edited by KloakinDevice (38 posts) -

Well... the car chase seens look cool! But the storyline looks like crap!

#4 Edited by jimmyfenix (3853 posts) -

Looks like a WWE STUDIOS film.

#5 Edited by Zaccheus (1792 posts) -

That was super weird.

#6 Posted by Grissefar (2842 posts) -

Wow the new Aaron Paul movie - gotta watch that.

Anyway, that movie takes itself way too seriously.

#7 Edited by Quarters (1682 posts) -

It was over dramatic and stuff but...I don't know, it looks okay. I think? Yeah, sure, it looks okay. I'll probably watch it. Plus, it has Michael Keaton, so that's good enough for me.

#8 Posted by A_E_Martin (190 posts) -

Well, that was awful. They could not have found a less charismatic lead. The world doesn't need any more cheesy street-racing films.

#9 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1866 posts) -

I felt like I was listening to the audio of a trailer for a different movie the whole time. What a weird freaking trailer. But I guess the car chases look kind of neat? Seems like they at least nailed the visual aesthetic of the recent games.

#10 Posted by totendeer (14 posts) -

What is with the hyper-clean aesthetic of most new action flicks these days? Anyway. It seems like a plot stolen from a bunch of other car-movies mashed together to fit an IP as good as possible. Will most likely end up watching it anyway seeing as I am a terrible person. (And then again, how could they ever hope to match the latest Fast&Furious).

Less drama and more idiotic car action needed.

#11 Edited by oldenglishC (946 posts) -

I was just in Detroit for a Tigers game the other day. There were no mountain roads like in that trailer.

#12 Posted by Assumedkilla (16 posts) -

Wow, it looks like Hitman meets Drive, which is a mash-up that's weird as hell but interesting. If they went too silly then everyone would just think it's a Fast & Furious rip-off. The writer for it isn't completely bad, so it has a shot.

#13 Posted by Chaser324 (6432 posts) -

If they can bring some decent visuals and exciting car chases, I'll definitely watch it, but I'm really not into the level of gravitas they're trying to bring to a light arcade racing franchise. I can understand maybe wanting to keep your film out of Fast & Furious or Torque territory (i.e. freaking awesome but admittedly quite dumb), but I'm really just not sure if this tone is going to work.

#14 Posted by erhard (399 posts) -

Looks terrible.

#15 Edited by TheHT (11155 posts) -

That looks fantastically dramatically dumb. Into it.

#16 Edited by KrypticKiller (190 posts) -

Not a great way to kick off a post Breaking Bad career.

#17 Edited by MarkWahlberg (4601 posts) -

Why these white dudes gotta be so angry all the time

#18 Edited by FlamingHobo (4482 posts) -

I just hope that this doesn't kill off any potential openings in Aaron Paul's future career. He's great in Breaking Bad and I'd hate to see him disappear so quickly.

#19 Posted by yinstarrunner (1185 posts) -

Looks... okay, I guess. It's generic, like someone wanted to make a car movie (to cash in on F&F) another person wanted to make a Need for Speed movie and they met and made a deal. That said, I can't really think of a better way to deal with making a "Need for Speed" movie.

At least it seems like it's trying to be an honest-to-god FILM, which is more than I can say for most video game movies.

#20 Edited by i8Donuts (96 posts) -

There is something about the look of this film but I can't put my finger on it. It kind of has made for TV or high end web series look to it.

#21 Edited by benpicko (2005 posts) -

After Smashed I kind of expected him to star in some decent films, not this shit

#22 Posted by ThunderSlash (1690 posts) -

Why does the trailer make it seem like a super hero movie.

#23 Posted by MiniPato (2732 posts) -

That trailer is waaaay too overdramatic. It's like they're hoping to pull a Christopher Nolan on this or something in hopes that people will take videogame movies seriously.

#24 Posted by Glottery (1223 posts) -

Damnit, Aaron! Why'd you do this...

#25 Posted by leebmx (2238 posts) -

He just doesn't look right at all in a role like that. He really isn't the leading man type. This feels like a really bad choice of role to get a movie career started.

#26 Edited by Ghostiet (5250 posts) -

@a_e_martin said:

Well, that was awful. They could not have found a less charismatic lead. The world doesn't need any more cheesy street-racing films.

Watch Breaking Bad. Aaron Paul may be not putting his A-game into this flick, but he is definitely a charismatic performer.

#27 Edited by Huey2k2 (489 posts) -

Well, it looks real bad.

#28 Posted by squiDc00kiE (351 posts) -

@isomeri: I don't know what you're talking about. I laughed through that whole trailer. I can't wait for this now.

#29 Posted by probablytuna (3621 posts) -

Man that monologue.... Was so bad.

#30 Posted by stryker1121 (1404 posts) -

I just hope that this doesn't kill off any potential openings in Aaron Paul's future career. He's great in Breaking Bad and I'd hate to see him disappear so quickly.

He's also got the new Ridley Scott film coming out in '14, fwiw. I was thinking about what could be next for both Paul and Bryan Cranston. Cranston can basically write his own ticket (especially if he gets the Luthor part) but Paul is not a traditional leading man. Need for Speed looks a bit awful, based on the trailer at least, but I imagine Paul got a huge payout coming out of BB. Maybe he'll be a bit more selective in the future.

#31 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

Looking extra cheesy...

#32 Posted by Slax (911 posts) -

This is gonna be dumb. I'm probably gonna watch it.

#33 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

What's with the dramatic music and monologue? The footage looks like 2 Fast 2 Furious levels of silly and yet everything else about the trailer has the weight of an apocalypse movie or something.

I wonder if the movie itself will be as tonally nonsensical.

#34 Posted by Spankmealotus (283 posts) -

Aaron Paul in: Please Make us Fast and Furious Money

#35 Edited by JCGamer (663 posts) -

This really looks terrible. What's the deal with that voice? Is that actor someone I should know?

#36 Posted by jkz (4010 posts) -

Oh god Aaron Paul, that monologue nearly drove me to tears and I stopped halfway through. God damn it

#37 Posted by wjb (1657 posts) -

I really enjoy Aaron Paul in Breaking Bad and he seems like a nice guy in real life, but I think being almost exclusively known as Jesse Pinkman could hurt him. Not to sound insulting to Paul, but his character in Breaking Bad is not that much of a stretch -- personality-wise -- compared to how he acts in real life. Obviously, Paul's smarter and probably isn't involved in criminal activity, but he kind of sounds like Pinkman in interviews, at least to me. I just don't see him as a leading actor; I think he has a career as a supporting actor, though.

At least Bryan Cranston has been building his resume in films for the past few years, so without even including Malcolm in the Middle, I know him from other material outside Breaking Bad.

Maybe Aaron Paul can prove me wrong. I hope. Just not with this movie...

#38 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

Shouldn't have messed with me and my improbably attractive girlfriend you guys, that wasn't cool. I'm gonna drive so hard now you guys, you have no idea. This is super serious you guys.

Cars.

#39 Posted by Harkat (1102 posts) -

Goddamnit Jesse

#40 Edited by mlarrabee (2927 posts) -

There's a D-Box theater in town, so I'm probably going to pay eighteen dollars to watch this.

And it's going to be so worth it.

#41 Posted by MiniPato (2732 posts) -

@wjb said:

I really enjoy Aaron Paul in Breaking Bad and he seems like a nice guy in real life, but I think being almost exclusively known as Jesse Pinkman could hurt him. Not to sound insulting to Paul, but his character in Breaking Bad is not that much of a stretch -- personality-wise -- compared to how he acts in real life. Obviously, Paul's smarter and probably isn't involved in criminal activity, but he kind of sounds like Pinkman in interviews, at least to me. I just don't see him as a leading actor; I think he has a career as a supporting actor, though.

At least Bryan Cranston has been building his resume in films for the past few years, so without even including Malcolm in the Middle, I know him from other material outside Breaking Bad.

Maybe Aaron Paul can prove me wrong. I hope. Just not with this movie...

It's probably because Jesse Pinkman seems like he could be a street racer as well as a drug dealer. Also he's playing some tragic tortured soul who lost his girlfriend again. I think we'll need to see him a vastly different role before we can determine his range.

#42 Posted by crithon (3138 posts) -

kinda amazed they hide the Michael bay production company, the video game and the director's name.

I bet you by the time Assassin's Creed comes out there's a logo for Ubisoft in the title credits.

#43 Edited by Hunter5024 (5635 posts) -

Why is it that whenever Hollywood decides to make a movie based on a video game, they choose games where nobody cares about the story?

#44 Posted by Haruko (292 posts) -

Aaron Paul is Razor Callahan.

#45 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Movie looks stupid and way too serious for NFS. But fuck it, I'll watch it when it comes out on DVD.

#46 Posted by Snail (8595 posts) -

Great. Another bad video-game movie. Just what the world needed.

#47 Posted by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

.......... why ?

#48 Posted by Christoffer (1799 posts) -

If I were to come up with a title that implies a dark brooding revenge story about murder and betrayal, "Need For Speed" would be pretty far down the list just above "Pee Wee's big adventure".

Other than that, it could be a fine movie, I dunno.

#49 Posted by MiniPato (2732 posts) -

If I were to come up with a title that implies a dark brooding revenge story about murder and betrayal, "Need For Speed" would be pretty far down the list just above "Pee Wee's big adventure".

Other than that, it could be a fine movie, I dunno.

Good point. I think a movie called "Need for Speed" needs to be more in line with early Fast and Furious movies in terms of tone.

#50 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

Hmm weird.

I dunno whether to cringe, laugh or not care.