The negative attitude of videogame blogs. A reality?

Terrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Terrell

So I was visiting a bunch of sites, which I will not name (well, one at one point, but not right now).  But I am starting to notices a trend, something that is beginning to bother me: a majority of the writing being put out there from  videogame websites (notably blogs) is negative, or atleast negative in tone.

I don tknwo, maybe im over exaggerating or over reacting, but it seems like everytime there is a "good news" article, there is always a portion of that article that has something negative to say. For example, let's just say that "game X" has just been announced for a sequel. Most of blogs will ofcourse mention that basic news, but usally they will then go on to mention something negative about the game, the people who play the game, the system the game is on (Xbox = RROD, PS3 = Lack of Library), and etc.  It's kind of hard to explain, but I think a prior post on this board relating to Videogame journalism sums it up with this phrase: Sensationalism.

Meaning getting the juiciest news even if it isn't the most true/important. The problem is, alot of the news that comes out is just that, news. So in order to get more clicks, sites like Destructoid (that's that ONE mention, but there are many others) have to pepper the article with snarky remarks that more times than not will take a cheap shot a person or group of people, a console, a culture, a lifestyle, a game, etc etc.  And most of the time, they spin the article in a negative way (or talk about it with a negative ho-hum tone) It's starting to make me think that these people don't even enjoy the subject they are writing about, because half of the time the articles they write leave me wanting to read less, not hitting the jump and reading more.

Now I'm all for creative writing, I love it actually. i think Giantbomb and Gamespot are two sites that actually get creative writing down write, because I always want to keep reading, and even when they make a remarks, it's never at the sole purpose of tearing something/someone down.  But what do you all think?  Is the videogame media becoming "too negative" when it comes to their writing? Let me know....

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

I point to Luke Plunkett and his douchebag following, and rest my case.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Tanuki

Well, I don't agree with "snarky" remarks or "spinning Articles" by professionals.  I do understand were all this pessimism is coming from.  Too me, as a gamer from the NES & Atari games there seems to be a lot more... uh... Shit... going on these days.  From DRM that constitues a $60 rental (Spore) to games being released in ALPHA stages like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky.  (yes... I like the game too, but it's a disaster in terms of actually being completed)  Hell, even when it comes to operating systems.  XP could be installed any number of times as long as it was on 1 pc.  Vistas EULA is atrociously infringing on freedom (ie. not being 'allowed' to run it in a virtual setting, like on a mac unless you buy the ultimate edition)

It's just got to the point, I think, where no matter how psyched or happy you want to be about a game coming out or important news there's always some stupid crap that a publisher or company is doing to try to scrounge as many coin as possible from the consumer.  I mean, lets take Fable II for example, and the 1 week delay of Co-op Online.  Yes it's ONLY a week.  But adding "small" features in updates is completely different than adding a MAJOR feature.  The game should never have gone gold in the first place if Co-op wasn't ready.

When Deus Ex 1 was made (Sorry, but it's my all time favorite game.  ;))  When that game was finished they were given 6 full months AFTER to play the game, add things (including those 2 german aug. ex-co-operatives coming after you in... paris I think to kill you) that weren't originally in the game to make it a little more seemless and canon.  Instead of people saying, "what ever happened to Gunther?".  With Deus Ex 2 they weren't given that extra 6 months, I believe.  Which is probably why the game seemed a little un-polished.

To me, I feel like the "golden" area of gaming is gone.  (PSX generation)  And companies just don't seem to care as much about what they're product looks like as long as they can kick it out the door with a full-game price tag.  However, professional journalists should never use a game delay or RRoD to take a "jab" at the system or company they dislike.  Both Sony, MS, and Nintendo have several faults, as well as accomplishments.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By duxup

I suppose there is a balance to not off sounding like every game is the second coming, not making your witting sound like some generic press release, and trying to be interesting.

epgpx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By epgpx

Every

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zitosilva

Maybe for saying this I'll imediately fall into the category that you've mentioned... but I'd say that the reason for all this negativity is just this: When was the last time that you played a game that you truly truly loved?

Games lately just haven't been that good. (of course, all of this, in my opinion). Not to mention the juge amount of sequels we've been receiving lately (my guess is because sequels usualy sell more than original titles). I haven't really played anything in the current gen that has truly impressed or marked me in any way. Thus this led me to be absolutely skeptical about every single release (though I do admit that I'm allowing myself to be excited abou LittleBigPlanet). So my guess is that the negativity is being caused mainly for the reason that we've been given a lot  of crap lately. All kinds of crap, true, like new crap, crap that is the same as last year's, crap that does nothing new, crap that are nothig more than tech demos; but all crap in their own right.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_
zitosilva said:
"Maybe for saying this I'll imediately fall into the category that you've mentioned... but I'd say that the reason for all this negativity is just this: When was the last time that you played a game that you truly truly loved?"
Probably a couple weeks ago, why?
Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Randolph
zitosilva said:
"Maybe for saying this I'll imediately fall into the category that you've mentioned... but I'd say that the reason for all this negativity is just this: When was the last time that you played a game that you truly truly loved?
Today, the day before, and every day of my vacation before that as well.  Gaming may not have the kind of truly pure magic it had for me peaking in the Dreamcast days, but I still play plenty of really fantastic stuff.  MGS4 is sex, and I got back into Burnout in a big way thanks to the convenience of it being right in my face and a click away on the PSN.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By jakob187

"It is easier to express negativity than trying to explain joy and happiness."

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Alexander

I completely disagree, previews of games are almost always positive for the reason that the final game isn't being played. Even where it's clear the game is going to suck, the negatives tend to be left out and the article becomes more of an explanation as to how the game works. I think the problem for reviews and blogs is that people find it hard to write about an ok game, it's much easier - and also more fun to read something on a game that is really bad or really good.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187
Alexander said:
"Previews of games are almost always positive."
You ever had to play kiss-ass to the companies making the games so they don't blacklist you and keep you from getting early copies of the games, let alone free copies of the games?
No?

Then now you understand why previews ALWAYS sound good.  
zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zitosilva
Jayge said:
Probably a couple weeks ago, why?"
Randolph said:
Today, the day before, and every day of my vacation before that as well.  Gaming may not have the kind of truly pure magic it had for me peaking in the Dreamcast days, but I still play plenty of really fantastic stuff.  MGS4 is sex, and I got back into Burnout in a big way thanks to the convenience of it being right in my face and a click away on the PSN."

Well, then it's probably just me. I have yet to really like anything that I've played in this current gen.
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Bulldog19892
Tanuki said:
"Well, I don't agree with "snarky" remarks or "spinning Articles" by professionals.  I do understand were all this pessimism is coming from.  Too me, as a gamer from the NES & Atari games there seems to be a lot more... uh... Shit... going on these days.  From DRM that constitues a $60 rental (Spore) to games being released in ALPHA stages like S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky.  (yes... I like the game too, but it's a disaster in terms of actually being completed)  Hell, even when it comes to operating systems.  XP could be installed any number of times as long as it was on 1 pc.  Vistas EULA is atrociously infringing on freedom (ie. not being 'allowed' to run it in a virtual setting, like on a mac unless you buy the ultimate edition)

It's just got to the point, I think, where no matter how psyched or happy you want to be about a game coming out or important news there's always some stupid crap that a publisher or company is doing to try to scrounge as many coin as possible from the consumer.  I mean, lets take Fable II for example, and the 1 week delay of Co-op Online.  Yes it's ONLY a week.  But adding "small" features in updates is completely different than adding a MAJOR feature.  The game should never have gone gold in the first place if Co-op wasn't ready.

When Deus Ex 1 was made (Sorry, but it's my all time favorite game.  ;))  When that game was finished they were given 6 full months AFTER to play the game, add things (including those 2 german aug. ex-co-operatives coming after you in... paris I think to kill you) that weren't originally in the game to make it a little more seemless and canon.  Instead of people saying, "what ever happened to Gunther?".  With Deus Ex 2 they weren't given that extra 6 months, I believe.  Which is probably why the game seemed a little un-polished.

To me, I feel like the "golden" area of gaming is gone.  (PSX generation)  And companies just don't seem to care as much about what they're product looks like as long as they can kick it out the door with a full-game price tag.  However, professional journalists should never use a game delay or RRoD to take a "jab" at the system or company they dislike.  Both Sony, MS, and Nintendo have several faults, as well as accomplishments."
You may be new to GiantBomb, but I already like you. I agree with pretty much everything you've said. (Including the greatness of Deus Ex.)
WonderNINJA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WonderNINJA

Well blogs, generally, are opinion based.  So, page views aside, some blog writers might just be more pessimistic and cynical than others.  Also, people like to argue.  So, on opinion-based blogs, it's natural that one might partake in fanning the flames of conflict.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coakroach

Pessimism is common in any kind of blog I reckon

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jordan23
WonderNINJA said:
"Well blogs, generally, are opinion based.  So, page views aside, some blog writers might just be more pessimistic and cynical than others.  Also, people like to argue.  So, on opinion-based blogs, it's natural that one might partake in fanning the flames of conflict.
"
Agreed. I tend to make a very unbiased videogame blog and tell the facts like they're meant to be told. There are many people that just accept the harsh reality of "positive negativity."
SphynxTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SphynxTA

Hate fuels the gaming community. Nobody actually likes video games, they just like arguing about them.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Dalai
SphynxTA said:
"Hate fuels the gaming community. Nobody actually likes video games, they just like arguing about them."
Yeah, we're a bunch of picky, spoiled bastards.

There could be some validity to the negativity... sometimes we need skeptics and criticizers in the industry so developers will work harder and release a better product.  On the other hand, some will find one or two little minor problems and talk shit about the game even though it's a great game overall.