#1 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (4985 posts) -

This comes after the Nokia Smartphone Division acquisition.

For over two years, Nokia has produced a series of flagship Windows Phone devices, including the recent Lumia 1020 and Lumia 928. Nokia CEO Stephen Elop will join Microsoft and lead an "expanded devices team." Julie Larson-Green -- Microsoft's current overseer for Devices and Studio Engineering, which encompasses all hardware, including Xbox -- will continue to lead the division until the acquisition is completed, after which she will join Elop's new team. Elop will lead the new division, including Xbox, at that time.

Elop was also rumored to be a candidate for the New Microsoft CEO position.

He was EX Microsoft as the head of the Business Division, Microsoft Office/Microsoft Dynamics

Kotatsu???

#2 Posted by Mowgers (379 posts) -

Xboss, please.

#3 Posted by Drebin_893 (2912 posts) -

Hm, very interesting. Seems like something of a strange move.

#4 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4203 posts) -

Haha! Fuck yea! I like his business.

And hey man.. That's not Kotatsu.. THIS, is a knork!.

#5 Posted by jimmyfenix (3853 posts) -

Atleast Don is not coming back.

#6 Edited by moffattron9000 (353 posts) -

And now for the real question. How is he at press conferences.

#7 Edited by EXTomar (4690 posts) -

If people need a refresh on who Elop is:

- CEO of Boston Market for a couple of months. Just long enough to setup getting bought out by McDonald's...for its property value.

- CEO of Macromedia for a few months. Just long enough to get bought out by Adobe.

- Kicked around Juniper for a year then resigned to work at Microsoft.

- Kicked around Microsoft for 2 years then resigned to head Nokia for 3 years~ which is just long enough to get bought out by Microsoft.

This guy either has the worst timing or is terrible where except Juniper he seems to show up at struggling companies and hangs around just long enough to be bought out. I'm unclear which part of his career shows he is ready to lead anything into hostile markets let alone Microsoft.

#8 Edited by chiablo (924 posts) -

@extomar said:

- CEO of Boston Market for a couple of months. Just long enough to setup getting bought out by McDonald's...for its property value.

- CEO of Macromedia for a few months. Just long enough to get bought out by Adobe.

- Kicked around Microsoft for 2 years then resigned to head Nokia for 3 years~ which is just long enough to get bought out by Microsoft.

This guy either has the worst timing or is terrible where except Juniper he seems to show up at struggling companies and hangs around just long enough to be bought out. I'm unclear which part of his career shows he is ready to lead anything into hostile markets let alone Microsoft.

So he'll be around the XBox division just long enough for it to get bought out by Sony.

#9 Posted by GaspoweR (2961 posts) -

@chiablo said:

@extomar said:

So he'll be around the XBox division just long enough for it to get bought out by Sony.

From the looks of things, he might even had a hand with the Nokia acquisition in the first place since he also was the one who helped with the Windows Phone deal 3 years ago, which led to Nokia scrapping their internally developed mobile OS in favor of Windows Phone. At the very least, he didn't go to companies that ended up getting shuttered completely so we'll see how this goes.

#10 Posted by Verendus (348 posts) -

In before Steven Flop.

Too early to judge the choice, so I just see and wait.

#11 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

@verendus said:

In before Steven Flop.

...No one was going to make that joke.

And what the fuck is "kotatsu" supposed to mean?

#12 Posted by rachelepithet (1391 posts) -

Hmm it's not to late to name XB1 the Xbox 720 or 1020...

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13178 posts) -

THE!

#14 Edited by EXTomar (4690 posts) -

THE?!

@chiablo said:

@extomar said:

I was thinking more Amazon or Apple depending on how salty and insulting one wants to be. :)

Another fun side note: Evidently Elop never sold his house in Redmond when he left 3 years ago. I guess he was planning to come back!

#15 Edited by Akyho (1602 posts) -
@extomar said:

I was just going to talk about track records. Nokia is the same company that almost went bankrupt since two things the knock offs of their phones were being better made than themselves with more features and they laughed at the idea of a "Smartphone" and never did one till it was too late.

Seems the deal with microsoft saved them.

#16 Posted by Hailinel (24435 posts) -

@verendus said:

In before Steven Flop.

...No one was going to make that joke.

And what the fuck is "kotatsu" supposed to mean?

A joking corruption of Kotaku (and also a really sweet style of table common in Japan).

#17 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

@hailinel: Alright. That's what I found when I googled it, and I was quite confused, ha.

#18 Edited by PimblyCharles (1388 posts) -

Hmm it's not to late to name XB1 the Xbox 720 or 1020...

I like your Lumia numbering conventions

#19 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

THE!

bigjeffrey and HIS big words!