• 90 results
Posted by Brad (3050 posts) -
Might look something like this. 
One of 2009's oddest trends, to me, is the sudden glut of commercial games based on Defense of the Ancients, the free Warcraft III mod played by a ludicrous number of people worldwide (not to mention paid tribute in any number of amazing pop songs). It's mostly odd because DOTA came out a long time ago, but we're just now seeing games like League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth popping up to take advantage of its hybrid action/strategy format.

But would you believe the next great DOTA-style game might be coming from Valve? The company already had a predilection for hiring up skilled mod authors (see: Team Fortress 2), and now it's added current DOTA maintainer IceFrog to its payroll. (IceFrog has been adding onto DOTA and keeping it up to date for a while now, though he's not the original creator; that guy is at Riot Games working on League of Legends.) 

Here's what IceFrog had to say over on the DOTA forums

I am now leading a team at Valve! I finally have all the resources needed to do some very exciting stuff that you guys will love. I look forward to revealing more specific details when the time is right.

My goal and top priority in the future is to solve the surrounding issues that affect the DotA experience in order to allow it to reach new heights. Addressing these issues will enable us to further enjoy aspects of DotA such as the gameplay, mechanics, and in-game feel that currently work well and ought to be maintained. As I've said many times in the past and especially after today's developments, I am very excited about DotA's future! 

Can you imagine a DOTA-style game running on the Source engine, with the quality, personality, and post-release support of something like Team Fortress 2? I can, and that sounds awesome

(Thanks Shacknews.)
Staff
#1 Posted by Brad (3050 posts) -
Might look something like this. 
One of 2009's oddest trends, to me, is the sudden glut of commercial games based on Defense of the Ancients, the free Warcraft III mod played by a ludicrous number of people worldwide (not to mention paid tribute in any number of amazing pop songs). It's mostly odd because DOTA came out a long time ago, but we're just now seeing games like League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth popping up to take advantage of its hybrid action/strategy format.

But would you believe the next great DOTA-style game might be coming from Valve? The company already had a predilection for hiring up skilled mod authors (see: Team Fortress 2), and now it's added current DOTA maintainer IceFrog to its payroll. (IceFrog has been adding onto DOTA and keeping it up to date for a while now, though he's not the original creator; that guy is at Riot Games working on League of Legends.) 

Here's what IceFrog had to say over on the DOTA forums

I am now leading a team at Valve! I finally have all the resources needed to do some very exciting stuff that you guys will love. I look forward to revealing more specific details when the time is right.

My goal and top priority in the future is to solve the surrounding issues that affect the DotA experience in order to allow it to reach new heights. Addressing these issues will enable us to further enjoy aspects of DotA such as the gameplay, mechanics, and in-game feel that currently work well and ought to be maintained. As I've said many times in the past and especially after today's developments, I am very excited about DotA's future! 

Can you imagine a DOTA-style game running on the Source engine, with the quality, personality, and post-release support of something like Team Fortress 2? I can, and that sounds awesome

(Thanks Shacknews.)
Staff
#2 Posted by JohnnyMcmillen (156 posts) -

See that coming in 2012 then.

#3 Posted by TheGremp (2064 posts) -

Ew, you got your DotA in my Valve.  Do not want.

#4 Posted by Xeiphyer (5605 posts) -

Sounds good! Although with League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, and of course old DotA to compete with, they will have to pull some interesting maneuvers to be successful, especially since League of Legends is being made by the creater of DotA and that game has done a ton to revolutionize the genre.

But it IS Valve, so we shall see how that plays out! I hope its turns out great.

#5 Edited by Meltbrain (2973 posts) -
@JohnnyMcmillen said:

" See that coming in 2012 then. "

Awesome! I can play this for 3 years while I wait for Half-Life 2: Episode 3 coming Q2 2015!
#6 Posted by spazmaster666 (1968 posts) -

This may just be the first DotA game that I play, aside from the ten minutes I played (and hated) of Demigod.

#7 Posted by Kohe321 (3529 posts) -

I'm loving HoN, and will keep playing that, but a Dota from valve would be awesome.

#8 Posted by Forcen (1830 posts) -
#9 Posted by dagas (2840 posts) -

Tried DOTA way back and never liked it. I'm a TD kind of guy, although I stopped playing Tower Defense almost 5 years ago. I don't understand how people can still play TD and DOTA games. Although since people still play Starcraft I guess WC3 is new by comparison.

#10 Posted by Snail (8606 posts) -

So what's DotA?

#11 Posted by Sarcastic_Fleeze (10 posts) -

If anyone can make a DotA game that appeals to large swaths of people, it's Valve.

Also, it would be weird playing a Valve game that wasn't set in first person.

#12 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Fairly sure there is actually a Half Life 2 RTS mod available. So it is possible for the Source engine to be used in that respect.

#13 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
#14 Posted by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -

That would actually be fucking awesome, I might have to buy 2 copies : O

#15 Posted by Tritavius (3 posts) -

This is possibly the best news I have ever heard. IceFrog supports DoTA so religiously and with such a fine focus for balance that this game already has an amazing pedigree. Go IceFrog, I hope Valve really lets him have the reigns so that he can do what he does best. Also, I hope HoN releases some new beta-keys or just lets the game go into open beta soon.

#16 Posted by august (3846 posts) -

Excellent....

Gabe Newell, release the robotic Richard Simmons!

#17 Posted by Vager (1654 posts) -

I had my fill of DotA games, thank you.
#18 Posted by DrBobUK (54 posts) -
@Forcen:
What about Episode Three Valve? 

Let them spend as long as they want on it.

It will be the perfect Half-Life game at this rate.
#19 Posted by zombie2011 (4973 posts) -

Basshunter is awesome. 

#20 Posted by catalystex (63 posts) -
@Forcen said:
" What about Episode Three Valve? "
What about it? Valve is hiring another team to work on the DoTA game (meaning no additional resources taken away from HL2 EP 3 development).
#21 Edited by MythDarK (552 posts) -
@Brad:
"...though he's not the original creator; that guy is at Riot Games working on League of Legends.)"

False! Guinsoo, who works at Riot Games and edited DotA a couple of years ago, did not create DotA. He created DotA-Allstars. Eul is the original maker of DotA.
#22 Posted by HCARyan (55 posts) -

I hope they do something unique instead of the same old fantasy rts mod fixed camera view.  I image they could put some of their Left 4 Dead tech to good use and make a fps dota-like game.

#23 Posted by DRE7777 (398 posts) -

I never played much of DOTA but really wanted to try Demigod and other games like it but there has never been a game as polished and technically sound as this game will be comming from Valve. I am really excited and hope it turns out great.
#24 Posted by bwooduhs (1617 posts) -

Awesome.

#25 Posted by Darg (31 posts) -
@MythDarK: True, but to my understanding he's the one that really popularized the game by bringing it to FT and adding something like 70% of the heroes.

I may just be drinking to kool-aid, though. I'm a LoL fanboy.
#26 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

this type of game never clicked with me

#27 Posted by skaune (82 posts) -

Sounds interesting, been playing HoN for a while now and I think it's pretty neat. Let's see what Valve has to offer.  

@catalystex said:

" @Forcen said:
" What about Episode Three Valve? "
What about it? Valve is hiring another team to work on the DoTA game (meaning no additional resources taken away from HL2 EP 3 development). "

Maybe they should ADD resources to the EP3 development?

@zombie2011 said:
" Basshunter is awesome.  "

Kill it with fire!
#28 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@Snail: It's a Warcraft (3?) mod called Defense of the Ancients or DotA. Basically an RTS focusing on "Heroes".
#29 Posted by Crono (2674 posts) -

Wow I had been wondering why IceFrog hadn't joined S2 on Heroes of Newerth.  I can see why now.  This is very very interesting.

#30 Edited by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Heroes of Newerth is DotA with improvements... Some heroes are missing but it's better than DotA. A new DotA-like game is coming from Icefrog? ROFL! Valve publisher? Rofl! Valve sucks!

HoN is awesome!

#31 Posted by blaze503 (189 posts) -

Guess we know what will be included in the Episode 3 box, (they can't just release Episode 3 without any other extras after Orange Box) so as a bonus extra could be awesome.

#32 Posted by Urmean (599 posts) -

Cool, now I might have an ACTUAL reason to ever play DOTA.

#33 Posted by Teirdome (262 posts) -

My mind is blown by the prospect of Valve creating something that's not first person.

#34 Edited by ParadoxControl (175 posts) -

Truly this is the age of Dota!

#35 Posted by Spike94 (735 posts) -
@JohnnyMcmillen said:
"See that coming in 2012 then. "

And that's being generous :D
#36 Posted by MattBodega (1906 posts) -

That's a really great story; it's always awesome to see mod makers and students get the call to development.

#37 Edited by labam89 (312 posts) -

Fucking hell. Keep the dota out of my Valve.

#38 Posted by ribeye (411 posts) -

i've never even heard of DotA, i just clicked the link because it said Valve....might have to check into it, L4D was a great idea and they bought the guys that came up with that too, then they gave it a sweet-ass overhaul Valve style....i'll give DotA a chance 

with the exception of really, really (REALLY) long dev times, Valve doesn't disappoint

#39 Posted by Imperial_ninjA (21 posts) -
@JohnnyMcmillen: With a sequel that adds for maps the year after
#40 Posted by Zelnox (390 posts) -

This sounds interesting! What is intriguing is whether it’d be an top-down isometric view or from a first-person view. 

Been playing in the League of Legends beta, and enjoying it a lot.

#41 Posted by Forcen (1830 posts) -
@DrBobUK said:
" @Forcen:
What about Episode Three Valve?   Let them spend as long as they want on it.  It will be the perfect Half-Life game at this rate. "
Sure, they shouldn't rush the development game. But that doesn't mean that they have to keep the waiting fans in the dark. Show us some screenshots, videos, anything!
#42 Posted by Det1 (190 posts) -

with the source engine?
no thanks. It's been pushed far enough (too far, even) as it is.

#43 Posted by DrBobUK (54 posts) -
@Forcen: 
Sure, they shouldn't rush the development game. But that doesn't mean that they have to keep the waiting fans in the dark. Show us some screenshots, videos, anything!

Patience will reward you.

Whatever piece of media they are planning to release, it's going to be big and it's going to hit hard.
#44 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -

I guess Episode 3 is never coming.

#45 Posted by Aska (424 posts) -
@JJOR64:  
You do realize he has his own team, right?  It's not like all of Valve works on one game at a time.
#46 Posted by JJOR64 (19003 posts) -
@Aska: I know that.  I just find it weird they are taking this long to make a 10 hour game.
#47 Posted by FuzzYLemoN (1600 posts) -

Holy shit.

#48 Posted by zack1 (38 posts) -

AWESOMO-OOOOOOOOOHHHH!!! becose i still do enjoy dota from time to time

#49 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Half Life with Druids? I'm in!

#50 Posted by giyanks22 (2681 posts) -

My kids will be able to play this game...

PS im still in high school.