The Next-Gen: A Decision I Struggle To Make

Avatar image for operationprometheus
OperationPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I asked a question on the forums a few days ago about the gap between PSN and XBL and whether or not we thought the PSN could get on par with XBL this generation. I originally pre-ordered the PS4, and still do have it as my choice. But as the days go by my mind has a little more doubt in it about whether it is the right choice.

The past generation I owned both consoles and loved them but my 360 was used FAR more often and I owned three times as many games if not more. The PS3 just didn't click for me even tho I loved my PS2. I keep hearing how amazing the PS4 is and how trash the Xbox One is, and I know I will eventually get both but the first one I get is a big decision. What is your all's opinions? Which console are you getting? And why? The PS4 seems really promising this time around but the online service on XBL is far better and that was one reason I used my 360 even more.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@operationprometheus: We won't know for sure how they stack up until they're actually released.

If you were a big fan of the 360, there's a reasonable chance you may gravitate toward the Xbox One, but that's not a certainty. Honestly, it has to do with your personal preferences and judgment than anything anyone here can say about these consoles that are not out yet.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm getting a PS4 because of all the exclusives I missed out on. Early on the Xbox appealed to me but these past few years the PS3 has been getting some killer games that I missed out on. I'm hoping the PS4 will deliver the same sort of quality. I also don't like the way MS has handled the new Xbox.

I'd say if you aren't certain on what console you want to get 100% wait for them to both get released. Watch/read some reviews and get opinions from the forums from people who have played both. Don't jump in right away if you think you'll regret it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I originally stuck to my 360. It was cheaper, had Halo, and multiplatform games ran better.

But these past few years, Sony has really stepped it up. Lots of great exclusives, from the big (Uncharted) to the mid (Twisted Metal) to the small (Unfinished Swan). The way developers talk, it seems like it's a desirable company to work with. I also just got a Vita, and the interface is quick and snappy and gives me hope. If PS+ is mandatory, I hope some of that goes into improving the infrastructure.

That's why I'm starting with a PS4. I hope they both do well (and I'll get an Xbox One next year), but I know I'll have a ton of great games down the line with Sony.

OperationPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah true. That is another reason why I pre-ordered the PS4 first so far. The exclusives such as Uncharted and The Last of Us are amazing, while the Xbox exclusives are a little weak sometimes. I know I'll end up getting both eventually but it's been a hard decision to make so far. I love them both equally and I could probably afford them both tbh but not sure that is financially the best decision at the moment haha. I mean I know I'm in college and have a job but my parents would still kill me if they found out i dropped a $1000 on video games in one or two weeks haha.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Im getting an XONE because of the exclusives I want. And first to get DLC. And I still love Halo. And I want Dance Central.

But mostly because that fat ass controller.. She got them curves..

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By big_jon

Xbox One and the Wii U are my systems of choice personally, I want the games that they offer, also the Xbox One controller feels fantastic and the UI/Guide/Dashboard is fast/fluid as hell.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should get whatever system you think you're gonna use more, OP. Doesn't matter which one. Personally, I'm sticking with Wii U+PC this gen, because Nintendo's exclusives are really exclusive, and they have a lot of upcoming games I want to play, and I keep hearing that most, if not all, of this next gen's games are going to be on PC, except each systems respective exclusives, of course.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Xbox One. I don't know if you guys read the news that comes out but Sony ain't looking too hot when it comes to handling their online business.

Anyway, I am sticking with Xbox because Xbox Live has been around since 2002. And I can see the appeal of the PS4 to a lot of gamers, cheaper mostly. But the exclusives? Not doing it for me. Let's face it, Titanfall is huge and the one most people say they had a lot of fun playing so far. Out Spring 14. And that is an exclusive because if you say PC, well there is no reason for you to even think about next gen consoles until Halo is out right? Because to me, PSN looks like they are making changes to catch up to the features of Xbox Live while Xbox Live and Azure, that cloud stuff is bigger than just extra horsepower for games. The way you can interact with your gaming experience away from the console could be big. Also, dedicated servers. I don't think I will play Knack and Killzone, looks better, but honestly, story is important to me and it doesn't have to be amazing, just ok so unless they explicitly show Rico's head on a pike, they are not getting me back. I disliked Killzone 2 and 3 was more of the same. Forza, Halo, Titanfall and Xbox Live as just a straight up good service, that's where its at.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk: I agree with you on that. Xbone does have better exclusives, compared to PS4. I loved Forza 4, especially with Jeremy Clarkson's (!) voice in it, so that's one exclusive I want to play. Not too crazy about Halo, but XBL is pretty secure and a good service, I'll give you that. Titanfall, though, I thought that was coming to PC also? I hope it does.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

In the end it's all about the games. When it's multiplatform games, then I guess you look at what controller you feel most comfortable with, what are your friends going to buy, and their online service. Just make a list of all the positives of owning each console then consider which one you would want to buy at launch.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the end it's all about the games. When it's multiplatform games, then I guess you look at what controller you feel most comfortable with, what are your friends going to buy, and their online service. Just make a list of all the positives of owning each console then consider which one you would want to buy at launch.

OperationPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I think I am going to pre-order the Xbone as well if Gamestop sends me a message saying they got more pre-orders in, just in case. And I can always move my money over to the PS4 I already pre-ordered if I decide that I don't want it. This is just been such a hard decision and I really wish I could get both haha.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

There is no reason to race to buy a console before there is solid information on performance after launch. You won't win anything except a $500+ debit to your checking account.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If you are having second thoughts then just wait until after release to make a better decision. It might seem like an equal race now, but come release, it could be pretty clear on the winning console. Or not. Who knows?

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If you are having second thoughts then just wait until after release to make a better decision. It might seem like an equal race now, but come release, it could be pretty clear on the winning console. Or not. Who knows?

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to buy an Xbone when Microsoft screws with Scandinavia.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

You really shouldn't be making this decision now. Wait until we know more for one thing and you probably shouldn't buy on day 1 either. Wait and see if one or both are actively on fire and rrod/ylod down just by looking at them.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By colourful_hippie

Unless you're absolutely sure you want one of these things, I would suggest the wait and see approach for both consoles