#51 Posted by NoDeath (798 posts) -

So I was able to quickly throw together this

and if you look at my page its tiled in a really weird way.
#52 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -
xXRAWxHEATxX said:
"See CNET. This is what happens when you fire one of your best employees. They end up making a website better than yours.
"
QFT
--------------------------------------

Anyways, I just figured out that there is extra edit options for your profile!  :D

Man.... why am I so excited about a website?!

#53 Posted by KingOfIceland (654 posts) -

Is the guide section supposed to be the same or is that also getting a update? It's kinda clumsy as it is, seeing as how you can't filter or search anything in there at all.

#54 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

Everything looks great but I think either the 'Friend Status' or 'Friend Blog' bar should be removed/Replaced from the Homepage.

#55 Posted by alpha99 (284 posts) -

It looks good, the front page and the bombcast page especially... but... I am not a fan of the new profile "summary" page. Now that I have linked my Twitter account there are TOO MANY status updates on that page. I would like it if there was a setting that could limit the amount of status updates to maybe a numerical amount, so on my settings page I could enter "5" and only have 5 status updates show.

Second of all I would like to see the friends updates on the summary page. It is kind of cool that they are on the front page, but I'd like them in my profile for easier access once I am there.

I'm sure I will get used to the new layout, but those two things are about the only things I could complain about. Good Work.

#56 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -
KingOfIceland said:
"Is the guide section supposed to be the same or is that also getting a update? It's kinda clumsy as it is, seeing as how you can't filter or search anything in there at all.
"
Getting an update. We decided we wanted to spend a good couple weeks on the guide tools in general and it would have pushed the redesign too far out.
#57 Edited by RyanJW (80 posts) -

I mostly like it, but some things really aren't very good with regards to accessibility. I have good eyesight and a pretty well configured monitor, and I still find it difficult to read the 'Send a PM' text beneath avatars, the 'Posted 5 minutes ago' beneath posts, the 'Topic started by MB... etc', and the 'History' links, etc at the top. Far too dark!

#58 Edited by jlrm01 (1992 posts) -
RyanJW said:
"I mostly like it, but some things really aren't very good with regards to accessibility. I have good eyesight and a pretty well configured monitor, and I still find it difficult to read the 'Send a PM' text beneath avatars, the 'Posted 5 minutes ago' beneath posts, the 'Topic started by MB... etc', and the 'History' links, etc at the top. Far too dark!
"
I have the same problem... The usernames under the thumbnails on characters / games / etc. Image pages are specially hard to see for me...
#59 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -
RyanJW said:
"I mostly like it, but some things really aren't very good with regards to accessibility. I have good eyesight and a pretty well configured monitor, and I still find it difficult to read the 'Send a PM' text beneath avatars, the 'Posted 5 minutes ago' beneath posts, the 'Topic started by MB... etc', and the 'History' links, etc at the top. Far too dark!
"
As you've come to expect, I'll continue to tweak this stuff as I receive feedback. It's definitely something I'm getting comments on.
#60 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -

Looks sexy at first site. I can't get into it right now because I've got school to prepare for. Awesome job, Whiskeh!

#61 Posted by JudgeDread (571 posts) -

suggestion:
add an internal bookmark/rss funktion for the various pages on the site so I can for example bookmark page for game x and bookmark  thread for subject y, then have a page where all new updates on these pages is combined into a simple to follow feed

#62 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I like it all for the most part. What I would like to see is a option for allowing a conventional banner, or having the option not to tile the image. I also think the sub-title text to threads is too faint. I like the fact it's faint, but at my age I simply cannot read it easily as I would like to. *feels old and disabled*

#63 Posted by TheJollyRajah (1576 posts) -

Don't know if someone has mentioned this yet, but status updates don't show up when I move the arrow over an avatar. It just says their name.

So... otherwise... this place is lookin' damn good.
#64 Posted by tekmojo (2299 posts) -

Ok not really a bug, not really a suggestion (just quick question)...but is there anyway to minimize this part of someone's profile page? Just curious cause it cuts off part of my noby background.

Can this notification be minimized? Or is it part of the design?

#65 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -

Snide- you guys made the text for things like "posted 12 minutes ago" or the forum indicator under the topic name and the date posted way too dark again. Brighten up please.

#66 Posted by Peacemaker (1102 posts) -

Man I really like the new look, it's much more cohesive and professional looking.

#67 Posted by Cribba (290 posts) -

The design itself is nice but I'm not a fan of some of the color changes. I liked the orange color more than the yellow.

Overview
- There are way too many instances where the gray text can't be seen on my screen (I've got it set to full bright / contrast). Example: Left column in Profile stats and Game information.
- Harder to see where part of the site begins and another ends, the shades of black/gray aren't different enough.
Game pages:
- The titles in the main article are way too gray, it should be easy to read the titles. Make them stand out like before.
- The image (box art) is cut off on the bottom.
Profile pages:
- The thumbnails for "My lists" use images from games that have been removed (from lists themselves).

I'll post more if there's something else.. I use Firefox btw.

#68 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6987 posts) -

This is awesome guys! The guys upstairs did a great job! I love it!

#69 Posted by Cribba (290 posts) -
Game pages:
- Images not in the screenshot category appearing on top of the page, may this was meant to be? Doesn't look good at all.

#70 Posted by Snail (8584 posts) -

How can I get friends' updates and blogs in my profile?

#71 Edited by Death_Burnout (3793 posts) -
coffeesash said:
"I don't like it. I thought it was perfect when it started up and this redesign has made things harder to read, harder to find and I don't like the layout. It's gone the same way as the Gamespot redesign. :(
"
*gasp* someone else agrees! i thought i was entirely the only one. Well...i mainly don't agree with some layout choices.

Oh that and the Bombcast page...
#72 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -
Cribba said:
"Game pages:
- Images not in the screenshot category appearing on top of the page, may this was meant to be? Doesn't look good at all.

"
bug. will fix
#73 Edited by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

I'm really enjoying the smoothness of the site and all the curves. Having the friend stuff on the front page seems a little strange now. It's cool and all to keep you updated with stuff even when on the front page, but it would be nice to have it presented on your own actual profile too. Maybe place that stuff under the lists in the right column. There seems to be enough space.

The user stuff right below images on wiki pages also appears strange. I know snide wanted to float that content, but is it possible to have that within a column too, like above or below the guides section. These pages really need to have the game's (or concept's etc.) general description higher up the page.

#74 Edited by Snail (8584 posts) -
Death_Burnout said:
"coffeesash said:
"I don't like it. I thought it was perfect when it started up and this redesign has made things harder to read, harder to find and I don't like the layout. It's gone the same way as the Gamespot redesign. :("
*gasp* someone else agrees! i thought i was entirely the only one. Well...i mainly don't agree with some layout choices.

Oh that and the Bombcast page..."
I agree too.

Why are the friend updates in the Homepage anyway???
#75 Edited by Johnny5 (1354 posts) -

ok I thought about it for a while and I finally think I know what makes the site feel "clumsy" to me.

Too many shades or switchs between grey! I think ive counted about 5 different greys and it switchs too often? Like too many BOXS within more BOXS.

I hope it helps :)

#76 Posted by Valkyr (667 posts) -

You should keep that wiki table on the front page, the one that said "most visited", "pages that need help", "new entries" or something like that, it encouraged me to see the gemma atkinson image collection a lot of times and thank god it did. Maybe you could implement it as the forum tab, that table could pop up in some way that it does not bothers.

Problem: I can't set a background to my profile, I don't know if I'm not using the correct size and it does not tell me if the image is not convenient

#77 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

The overall design seems fine to me so far, but there's one big problem.

I can barely make out the grey text here in the forum on my CRT monitor.

Especially on the 'Latest video game topics' page, the forum name below the topic name is almost completely unreadable.  Do you guys have a CRT to test this stuff on?

#78 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Your profile name on your page would have been cool if it displayed in your colour of alignment.

I expected that change :(

#79 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

I love how profiles have been bade narrower. Easier to read blogs somehow.

However:

- I want my friend's updates to be on my profile page, or at least have that option

-The profile "background image" is busted

#80 Edited by BODDAH (315 posts) -

This redesign is fucking sick (in a 100% good way).

#81 Posted by Death_Burnout (3793 posts) -
Snail said:
"Death_Burnout said:
"coffeesash said:
"I don't like it. I thought it was perfect when it started up and this redesign has made things harder to read, harder to find and I don't like the layout. It's gone the same way as the Gamespot redesign. :("

Oh that and the Bombcast page..."
I agree to.

Why are the friend updates in the Homepage anyway???
"
Ahh i see! well i feel better, sad i know.
#82 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -

Lovin the new look.  Totally Sexellent!

#83 Posted by Dalai (7005 posts) -

Besides some hard to read text and the blatant ripoff of NXE, I give it the seal of approval.  Nice!

#84 Posted by Johnny5 (1354 posts) -

Since some people on the IRC are too lazy to post in this thread I will do so for them.

Obviously the hard to read text has come up a few times.

and user "Snail" severly hates that the friends (blogs) are no longer on the main profile page.

#85 Posted by Snail (8584 posts) -
Johnny5 said:
"and user "Snail" severly hates that the friends (blogs) are no longer on the main profile page."
And you no longer get updates of what they are doing like "BoG is moving to new York" on your profile.
Basically, everything friends is now on the Home Page, which means that stuff that was once in only one page is now in two different pages. And there is plenty of free space in the profile pages. Ridiculous amounts of free space.
#86 Edited by KamasamaK (2408 posts) -

After using it further, I have some more observations.

It appears that one can no longer post on their own wall. I also can't find a way to see my own status. I don't like that Friends stuff has been removed from profiles; I liked seeing what friends other people had.

EDIT regarding my last sentence: I see that even though there is no longer a link to it for other people, the URL http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/username/network/ still works.

#87 Posted by Johnny5 (1354 posts) -

Sorry about the rampant posting.

One thing that I definately do not particularly like is how LONG the profile ACTIVITY is at the moment, like I never found it that useful to be super long and a "read more..." link would be fine.

One thing I DO really like is the new layouts for podcast/videos page and the new dropdown boxs.

#88 Posted by bekern (563 posts) -

Podcast page is b-e-a-utiful. But am I the only one who misses the old gritty background of the front page and header? :P
But yeah, otherwise pretty much all new>old. Awesome work guys!

#89 Posted by Rowr (5487 posts) -

Likely been mentioned, the greys are hard to read.

Also the sections in the profiles are not very clearly defined, they sort of all run into each other.

I wouldnt mind if the wall was left in the bottom right corner, since there is nothing there anyway. Also im not particularly thrilled with my wiki contributions dominating the right hand column, its not something i focus on and really want to acknowledge or be reminded of on my profile.

Also the option to keep a blog feed on the profile page would be nice.

I like the new functionality, but the presentation of the profiles is kind of  jumbled and unclear. My profile doesnt appear how i would like it to, im sure theres stuff coming in the future to deal with this tho, so keep up the good work guys, its great to see the site moving forward.

#90 Edited by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -
Snail said:
"Johnny5 said:
"and user "Snail" severly hates that the friends (blogs) are no longer on the main profile page."
And you no longer get updates of what they are doing like "BoG is moving to new York" on your profile.
Basically, everything friends is now on the Home Page, which means that stuff that was once in only one page is now in two different pages. And there is plenty of free space in the profile pages. Ridiculous amounts of free space.
"

Hell yes, I am not happy with that at all. I found that panel on the left to be excellent for catching up with friends blogs. All that vacant space seems like a total waste to me.

I miss the wall also. The format that was in place before was cool visible to all and funny in the process!  I think the option to have it stay up would have be great. It would continue to encourage comments by all visitors, and dumb comments from Pleasure which I also welcome.

I think it's a shame that I cannot let my username on my profile page show my alignment, I don't see why that option is not there.

#91 Posted by Sweep (8828 posts) -
  • IT SAYS "CLICK HERE TO CHANGE COLOURS"

Is that physically possible at the moment?
  • The HTML banners are really weird

they warp like crazy depending what size your monitor is. Could you have a set size for banners please?
  • WHERE HAVE ALL THE BLOGS GONE?

Hiding them in a little corner of the home screen is sucky - nobody is going to write blogs unless they are easily accesible to your friends!! Are we still going to be able to re-arrange and customize the layout of our profiles to sort this out?

POSITIVITY

Site looks awesome, really like the shiny SHINY stuff =D great work guys
#92 Edited by RedSox8933 (2428 posts) -

i think that i liked the last design a little better, but i'm liking this one!! it looks a lot more polished than before, and on the wiki sites you can find news and videos a lot easier.

i also don't like how you took out the forums on the front page of a wiki page.

#93 Edited by Death_Burnout (3793 posts) -
Linkyshinks said:
"Snail said:
"Johnny5 said:
"

Hell yes, I am not happy with that at all. I found that panel on the left to be excellent for catching up with friends blogs. All that vacant space seems like a total waste to me.

I miss the wall also. The format that was in place before was cool.

"
Yeah me either.

And i finally realised, that yes some greys are way hard to read...but i'll be using the white site when it comes anyway.

Rowr said:
"I wouldnt mind if the wall was left in the bottom right corner, since there is nothing there anyway. "

This
#94 Posted by KamasamaK (2408 posts) -
Sweep said:
"

Hiding them in a little corner of the home screen is sucky - nobody is going to write blogs unless they are easily accesible to your friends!! Are we still going to be able to re-arrange and customize the layout of our profiles to sort this out?"
They are also accessible from the Friends drop-down at the top using Blog Updates.
#95 Edited by Death_Burnout (3793 posts) -
Kamasama said:
"Sweep said:
"

Hiding them in a little corner of the home screen is sucky - nobody is going to write blogs unless they are easily accesible to your friends!! Are we still going to be able to re-arrange and customize the layout of our profiles to sort this out?"
They are also accessible from the Friends drop-down at the top using Blog Updates.
"
That's still sucky though. At least they are shown in full there...
#96 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Not good enough, friends blogs should catch your eye like they have always done, there should be no need to pull down a box.

#97 Posted by Kenzo287 (722 posts) -

It's amazing my only complaint is that the drop down menus on the top for the forums or your profile or inbox are white. I would of done like a gray with a black outline but I'll get over it

#98 Posted by Smedles (174 posts) -

Love the redesign, but I have one problem.  What is the resolution of profile backgrounds?  I can't get an image to fit in without tiling.  Other than that, great job!

#99 Edited by BothBarsOn (100 posts) -

Like a few people above, I really think the profile banner needs a rethink. It's just too hard to get it looking decent (tiling? ugh). And there seems to be no easy way to remove the image that you just added there only to find out that it looks hideous. I wound up adding a black square and tiling it ...It's a pity because  home page or profile customisation is something that people really go for; I know I do. Would it be very difficult to make the entire background customisable a la the new Bombcast page?

As for the dark grey text, I swear to God I've only just noticed it. I couldn't understand what everyone was talking about. It's not dimmed, it's camouflaged!

Congrats otherwise. I can only imagine the amount of work involved.

#100 Edited by bekern (563 posts) -

Um don't know where to put this but how do you edit/delete images now?

And yeah I agree with above, I just atempted to add a background and the tiling is annoying. The image doesn't start at the top so it's either cut off or tiled weird.

EDIT: nvm it seems that the "edit page" button is it. I just thought that button was referring to my profile as a whole oops.