#101 Edited by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -
BothBarsOn said:
"Like a few people above, I really think the profile banner needs a rethink. It's just too hard to get it looking decent (tiling? ugh). And there seems to be no easy way to remove the image that you just added there only to find out that it looks hideous. I wound up adding a black square and tiling it ...It's a pity because  home page or profile customisation is something that people really go for; I know I do. Would it be very difficult to make the entire background customisable a la the new Bombcast page?

As for the light grey text, I swear to God I've only just noticed it. I couldn't understand what everyone was talking about. It's not dimmed, it's camouflaged!

Congrats otherwise. I can only imagine the amount of work involved.
"
Same, i was annoyed i couldn't change it to default, that definately needs to be an option in there.

If the Bombcast background was changable, i'd make my own version, like the old one, in photoshop, and use that!! But the current background is awesome, it just needs white boxes.
#102 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

I don't go to the front page for updates on my friends. I want those in my profile, and I want that wiki stuff back on the homepage.

#103 Posted by Metiphis (388 posts) -

Not a big fan of what has happened to the pictures at the top of game pages.  Looks really messy now, when before it was nice and clean.

#104 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

It's awfully dark, and kind of hurts my eyes. I suspected I might have been crazy, so I got a comparison.
Old site | New site
Old site | New site
Old site | New site

So indeed the dark colours have gotten even darker, and some text is really hard to see because it's also extremely dark.

#105 Posted by Snail (8578 posts) -
Linkyshinks said:
"Snail said:
"Johnny5 said:
"and user "Snail" severly hates that the friends (blogs) are no longer on the main profile page."
And you no longer get updates of what they are doing like "BoG is moving to new York" on your profile.
Basically, everything friends is now on the Home Page, which means that stuff that was once in only one page is now in two different pages. And there is plenty of free space in the profile pages. Ridiculous amounts of free space."

Hell yes, I am not happy with that at all. I found that panel on the left to be excellent for catching up with friends blogs. All that vacant space seems like a total waste to me.

I miss the wall also. The format that was in place before was cool visible to all and funny in the process!  I think the option to have it stay up would have be great. It would continue to encourage comments by all visitors, and dumb comments from Pleasure which I also welcome.

I think it's a shame that I cannot let my username on my profile page show my alignment, I don't see why that option is not there."
I completely agree with everything you wrote. There ought to be some changes to the redesign.
#106 Posted by destro (248 posts) -

Looks good. Nice work.

#107 Posted by Sweep (8816 posts) -

also

• WHATS UP WITH THE BIG GREY BACKGROUND?

It looks dull, especially when you scroll down past the banner =/
  • Could there perhaps be a way to separate all the different feeds into boxes on the right hand side of the screen?

Twitter Updates, Wall Posts, User Activity - all in one feed is a little intense

thanks guys, luv ya <3
#108 Posted by Sweep (8816 posts) -
Snail said:
"Snail said:
"Johnny5 said:
"and user "Snail" severly hates that the friends (blogs) are no longer on the main profile page."
And you no longer get updates of what they are doing like "BoG is moving to new York" on your profile.
Basically, everything friends is now on the Home Page, which means that stuff that was once in only one page is now in two different pages. And there is plenty of free space in the profile pages. Ridiculous amounts of free space."

Hell yes, I am not happy with that at all. I found that panel on the left to be excellent for catching up with friends blogs. All that vacant space seems like a total waste to me.

I miss the wall also. The format that was in place before was cool visible to all and funny in the process!  I think the option to have it stay up would have be great. It would continue to encourage comments by all visitors, and dumb comments from Pleasure which I also welcome.

I think it's a shame that I cannot let my username on my profile page show my alignment, I don't see why that option is not there."
Snail speaks the truth!!
#109 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

I really like the look of the new design. I haven't tinkered around with many of the new functions, but everything looks good by me.

#110 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

I like the new design. It looks so smooth now.

#111 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

My eyes are starting to bleed. I might have to start using the white version of the site. :(
Also, the profile links have been moved to the top of my profile. I prefer them at the side, because now it makes my profile pages seem empty and lifeless, and it's inconsistent with the rest of the site. The lack of friend-related content in my profile doesn't help.

#112 Posted by Steve_C (1750 posts) -

Also, what happened to the trivia on the front page? It was nice to be able to jump into a question when an interesting one showed up.

#113 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Nooooooo.... Did you take out the one feature I'd always pray to have. Or have you just hidden the button? Please, please, please let me make the background white. I'm sorry to create a thread over this but I'm nearly in tears (read: not nearly in tears); seriously though -- WHERE IS THAT WHITE BUTTON!?

I know it's not everyones cup of tea but... You have to give us the choice. HAVE TO.

Please and thank you. Good day.

P.S. (everything else looks really cool).

#114 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -
get2sammyb said:
"Nooooooo.... Did you take out the one feature I'd always pray to have. Or have you just hidden the button? Please, please, please let me make the background white. I'm sorry to create a thread over this but I'm nearly in tears (read: not nearly in tears); seriously though -- WHERE IS THAT WHITE BUTTON!?."
Coming soon!
As a quick housekeeping note, you may notice that the white version of the site is currently unavailable. That's in the works and will be available shortly. If you are flagged to use the white site, this whole thing probably looks kind of jacked up right now. You may need to clear your cookies and your browser cache to get things up and running properly.
 - Giant Bomb Redesign Is A GO! -Jefff

#115 Posted by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

I love you TheBeast and everyone else. Go white version, go! Can't beat the ol' black text on white background. Like sex for the eyes.

#116 Posted by ElectricHaggis (630 posts) -

I'm digging the new style.  Nice work guys.

#117 Posted by Snail (8578 posts) -

And why is the Title Font grey? You can barely read it! Yellow was a lot better! The background is grey! What is the logic in this?

#118 Posted by Jensonb (1705 posts) -

Love it! The new Videos page is awesome.

Just waiting on Achievements now
#119 Posted by Snail (8578 posts) -
Jensonb said:
"Love it! The new Videos page is awesome.
Holy crap, you're right!
#120 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -
Snail said:
"And why is the Title Font grey? You can barely read it! Yellow was a lot better! The background is grey! What is the logic in this?"
Everything's been made darker and greyer, presumably to make people strain their eyes.
I prefer the colours of the old site design.
#121 Posted by Snail (8578 posts) -
LordAndrew said:
"Snail said:
"And why is the Title Font grey? You can barely read it! Yellow was a lot better! The background is grey! What is the logic in this?"
Everything's been made darker and greyer, presumably to make people strain their eyes.
I prefer the colours of the old site design."
Same here dude.
#122 Posted by solidlife (877 posts) -

props to GB
this re design is kick ass

#123 Posted by AuthenticM (3698 posts) -

It's awesome. But there are some text that are hard to read (dark grey on black background).

#124 Posted by mracoon (4952 posts) -

Love it!

#125 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -
Its nice....nothing really big has changed.....at least from what I seen.  But its nice.
#126 Posted by lord_canti (1503 posts) -

i love it it couldn't look better :P

#127 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

Background is a little off, but I like the site, and I like pancakes.

#128 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

The top stories box looks like Netflix.

#129 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Sexay

#130 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

I prefer seeing more than just five users in the Top Editors box. More users should be recognized for their contributions, like before.

#131 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

Please, please, make the forum text brighter. You know, the forum name under the thread name, the "Posted a billion hours ago" and stuff like that is just too dark on a black background. I can't read it! Dark gray and black don't mix. My poor eyes!

#132 Posted by p4ddym1607 (995 posts) -

Really liking this.

#133 Edited by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -

The people not noticing the annoying aspects of the redesign...are annoying me more than the redesign is.

AGAIN: i can't tell if i like it, until i see it in white.

One thing that's bugging me, user images on the profile page...they need to be seen like they were before, instead of having to, yet again, click on something to see it like everything else on that page at the moment.

LordAndrew said:

"It's awfully dark, and kind of hurts my eyes. I suspected I might have been crazy, so I got a comparison.
Old site | New site
Old site | New site
Old site | New site

So indeed the dark colours have gotten even darker, and some text is really hard to see because it's also extremely dark.
"
It's probably Jeff's love for black sites, he probably said, make it darker.

And haha, a link to Rapelay, funny touch.

#134 Posted by ep_driver (433 posts) -

Apparently I'm the only one, but I'm not really enjoying the redesign. I think it's wayyy too hectic and the homepage is super cluttered. Anyone else agree?

#135 Posted by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -
ep_driver said:
"Apparently I'm the only one, but I'm not really enjoying the redesign. I think it's wayyy too hectic and the homepage is super cluttered. Anyone else agree?"
Haha you aint the only one, read some of the posts in here!
#136 Posted by LordAndrew (14424 posts) -

I feel the feed is too big now. It takes too much scrolling to get down to the blogs.

#137 Posted by Ninjafern (381 posts) -
#138 Posted by Mooman18 (14 posts) -

niiice going, the site looks pretty slick and kool =D

#139 Posted by unclejohn0525 (335 posts) -

My biggest problem is that I can't see my friends' blogs anymore without clicking on their names! What the hell?! Also, the background thing is a little strange. Should be called a banner, and there should be some dimensional guidelines for it. Other than those things, the new layout is pretty good.

#140 Posted by Bardon (96 posts) -

DAMN. Excellent design. Nice clean interface, and hella easier to find stuff. Amazing Job !!!

#141 Posted by mracoon (4952 posts) -

They need to brighten some grey things as I'm finding them difficult to read.

#142 Edited by Death_Burnout (3792 posts) -

It's amazing, there are such polar opposites when it comes to what people think of the redesign.

LordAndrew said:

"I feel the feed is too big now. It takes too much scrolling to get down to the blogs.
"
Agreed, i thought having the feed at the top was a stupid idea the first time round, it is now longer, and more stupidly placed.
#143 Posted by CagedBrute (1 posts) -

How do you get to the store? I can't find a link on the site.

#144 Posted by dantey (245 posts) -

nice...you did a good job :)

#145 Posted by TheBeast (1931 posts) -

Is it just me or is it not possible to see the Twitter account name of a user?

#146 Posted by Manks (836 posts) -

It's really nice, major improvement over the old site.

#147 Posted by zitosilva (1838 posts) -

I like the new desing, some things are much better organized now. I just have one tiny complain...
The friends update and new blogs being in the homepage. I don't know, it feels out of place. Usually I never clicked on Giant Bom home button, unless when entering the site for the first time. After that I'd just stick to my account and the foruns, it's weird having to scroll through the news to see what people are doing. If it were possible to put into the profile part it would be much better.

And also, is it impossible now to see, for example, my friend's friends? I can't find a way to do it.

#148 Posted by Vigorousjammer (2478 posts) -

OMFG!! YESSSS!!! REDEISGN!!! @_@ !!!!!

#149 Edited by brukaoru (5079 posts) -

Profile Mock-Up

First off, I know the staff have been working very hard on this design and I'm sure they will be tweaking things that will make it better within the next few weeks. I just wanted to get a feel of what some things would look like if they were tweaked.

Current Profile
Mock-Up Profile.

Full Size VIew:

Note: I cropped both images to only show one blog post, since you can probably get the general idea.

Changes made in the mock-up:
  • Removed heading - This will make it so you can see your banner better, I don't really see the need for the heading if all it will say is that you can customize your profile, a reminder to make bug reports could be done on the home page. Customize your profile button is moved to the top. Avatar placement has been changed to be next to the status.
  • Colors - The balance of grays were really just about perfect beforehand, now it seems they are way too dark and actually strain the eyes of the some viewers, I used lighter grays for just about every box area, using the same gray hex code as the previous profile pages, the links have also been changed to yellow. I tried different colors, but yellow seems to be the less straining on the eyes for links. White text was used to replace some of the darker gray text that is hard to read (such as the blog feed, activity, etc links).
  • Friends Blogs - Right side of profile. One of the best ways to find blogs from others was being able to go to someone's profile and seeing one of their friends blogs listed. Having the "friends blog" list only appear on the Homepage really limits how many people will see those blog posts. I think this should be added to the profile, especially since they is plenty of blank space there to fill.
  • Capitalization - In the wiki edits, the first letters are not capitalized, such as "franchise, game concept." I think it would look better if these were capital letters at the beginning.

I also did a tiny mock up of a forum post, with lighter colors, and more readable text:
Mock up (Top). Current (Bottom).

Full view: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/12478/903097-forumpostmockup.png

I'd love to hear others thoughts about this. I know the mock up isn't perfect, I think there's a little too much yellow with all the links, but that's the best color that seemed to work in my opinion.

#150 Posted by LiquidPrince (15840 posts) -

What's are the proper dimensions of the background you can post on you page?