The points system here...

Shigginator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Shigginator

...is fucked up. Yep, I said it. I recall when I first started up this profile, getting points wasn't exactly easy. You could write a lengthy summary of a game or character and expect maybe (MAYBE) 60 points, if you went really into detail. Now I don't know when this all changed (I disappeared from here for months) but I came back recently only to discover that with 10% the effort and 10% of the detail and length of those summaries could get me more points than before. I can get 100+ points with a 100 word paragraph describing an item or character now, whereas almost a year ago 100 word paragraphs would have given me 10-15 points. Now, this upsets me as I put quite a lot of effort and thought into my older submissions, and now people can get more points for less effort. WTF GB? That's just...gay!

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Binman88
Shigginator said:
"...is fucked up. Yep, I said it. I recall when I first started up this profile, getting points wasn't exactly easy. You could write a lengthy summary of a game or character and expect maybe (MAYBE) 60 points, if you went really into detail. Now I don't know when this all changed (I disappeared from here for months) but I came back recently only to discover that with 10% the effort and 10% of the detail and length of those summaries could get me more points than before. I can get 100+ points with a 100 word paragraph describing an item or character now, whereas almost a year ago 100 word paragraphs would have given me 10-15 points. Now, this upsets me as I put quite a lot of effort and thought into my older submissions, and now people can get more points for less effort. WTF GB? That's just...gay!"
Don't quite see how it's gay myself.

My advice would be to stop worrying about points and worry more about adding worthwhile content to the database.
Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Megalon
Binman88 said:
"Don't quite see how it's gay myself. My advice would be to stop worrying about points and worry more about adding worthwhile content to the database."
Exactly. The day they start handing out brownies for points, then you can complain.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Kazona

I'm going to be a dick and say that if you hadn't been away from GB for months, you would've known exactly why they made this change.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By RandomHero666
Binman88 said:
Don't quite see how it's gay myself. My advice would be to stop worrying about points and worry more about adding worthwhile content to the database."
I agree to this advice

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Disgaeamad

This change was implemented so as to encourage more people to write out some good pages instead of uploading tons of images. Even if your older pages don't have as many points, you can still take pride in the fact that you wrote them and contributed towards the growth of the site as a whole, which is far more rewarding than points.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They changed it because it was far easier to get points through uploading tonnes and tonnes of images, than writing big detailed articles. Now it is far more balanced. We're all in the same boat. We all put effort into pages and didn't get a whole lot of points for them, and if we'd done it now we'd have tonnes. While it is a bit annoying, it is a significant improvement to the system, and that is a good thing in the long term. And at the end of the day, I add stuff to the database to be useful and add worthwhile content to the database, not for the points. The points are a nice way of measuring how much you have contributed, and this kinda broke that a little bit, but in the long term those few edits people made in the first few months don't really matter when we'll be making edits for years to come.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By mracoon

Why would you be upset about getting more points. As long as you're adding some meaningful content to the site it doesn't really matter.

Luberik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Luberik

childish...

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By yoctoyotta
Shigginator said:
"...is fucked up. Yep, I said it. I recall when I first started up this profile, getting points wasn't exactly easy. You could write a lengthy summary of a game or character and expect maybe (MAYBE) 60 points, if you went really into detail. Now I don't know when this all changed (I disappeared from here for months) but I came back recently only to discover that with 10% the effort and 10% of the detail and length of those summaries could get me more points than before. I can get 100+ points with a 100 word paragraph describing an item or character now, whereas almost a year ago 100 word paragraphs would have given me 10-15 points. Now, this upsets me as I put quite a lot of effort and thought into my older submissions, and now people can get more points for less effort. WTF GB? That's just...gay!"
I wrote the entire Super Mario Galaxy page except for the Power Up Forms and Soundtrack section and added some artwork and screen shots, receiving 217 points in total. The page has not any changes other than the two I mentioned above, safely indicating I did a pretty damn lengthy and thorough job detailing the high profile game. Four other "contributors" to the page have significantly more points that I do (one guy has over 800), for simply uploading hundreds of screen shots. This completely destroyed my interest in contributing in any constructive way to Giant Bomb.Maybe I'm selfish for wanting credit for my work, but when I put up 95% of the content on a game, but according to the Top Editors like, it looks like I contributed 5%, I feel like that's a major shit that's been taken on my head.

Edit: Reading some other comments above, it sounds like this in-balance of point distribution has been fixed, so perhaps I'll reconsider contributing more in the future, but man, did that piss me off at the time.