The Problem With Blogging On Giantbomb...

• 51 results
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Its too complicated for people to consistently find and follow user blogs.

At the moment

my friends blogs have all been shuffled out of sight by the redesign. Don't get me wrong, the website currently looks great - but the side effect is that its a lot harder to keep track of other users and the content they are generating on a personal level. I have over 100 people on my friends list, if more than 8 post blogs on the same day (which could happen fairly easily) then i'm going to miss out on a bunch of great blogs purely because its not prominently displayed. People keep pointing out that you don't have to post a blog to the forums (I'm looking at you MB) but for a lot of people that means their stuff is otherwise never going to get seen - so they have nothing to lose.

I don't want to be a dick and keep going on about this, but I don't think i'm asking for anything unreasonable. Giantbomb should be promoting user content like blogs, guides, reviews - where people can easily access them - since user created content and ease of use are the foundations this website has been built upon. If you know that people are going to be reading your stuff then you have more incentive to write. The more incentive people have to write, the more awesome stuff they are likely to produce. I want to be able to easily see what my friends have written and I want them to easily be able to find the stuff I have spent ages writing up - because at the end of the day it all contributes to making this website as awesome as possible.

SOLUTIONS

would include links to user blogs in the forums, perhaps a "See Mini Blog" preview next to the bar where it says "See mini bio" on each post. Customizable profile layouts would also shut me up, although I appreciate that would probably be a lot harder to sort out...

/HINT

Please don't take this the wrong way. I love everyone working at Whiskey Media, you guys are my heroes. I'm trying to make my criticism as constructive as possible. I also appreciate that the redesign is far from finished and that new features are being added constantly. I just felt the need to draw attention to blogs in particular, having invested so much time in my own.

Anyways, peace out
Love Sweep
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By c1337us

I am having a hard time tracking friends blogs at the moment as well. But I dont have the feeds running down the side on my profile so I been going in the friends section and clicking on blog updtaes which is super painful. How do you add those functions to your profile? As even that would help me out a great deal.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

A "See Mini Blog" preview is a great idea, I concur.

I thought the whole idea behind this new redesign would be to customize our profiles the way we want to (drag and drop tools), that must still be in the works... At least I hope it is.

Cogito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cogito

Maybe a "Latest Blog" section on the front page so that every blog no matter how small get's it's chance.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator

a list of "popular user blogs" - could also work
and a "random blog of the day" link on the homepage would be a nice idea as well =)

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By Lies
Cogito said:
"Maybe a "Latest Blog" section on the front page so that every blog no matter how small get's it's chance."
This exists, but it's only viewable on the news blog. Click the news tab up top, and there's a little "Latest blogs" thing on the right side. Totally out of the way, but it does exist.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew
Here's a great page to use. It lets you see every recent blog that has been posted... as long as that person has their privacy settings set to publish such information in their feed. Luckily, I suspect most people do that. So check out that page. It's a great way to find blogs from people who aren't on your friends list and don't publish their blogs to the forums.
Once again, the link is here. I recommend using it.
End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By End_Boss

A forum in which only blogs are displayed. Who's with me?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By c1337us
LordAndrew said:
"Here's a great page to use. It lets you see every recent blog that has been posted... as long as that person has their privacy settings set to publish such information in their feed. Luckily, I suspect most people do that. So check out that page. It's a great way to find blogs from people who aren't on your friends list and don't publish their blogs to the forums.
Once again, the link is here. I recommend using it."
Well done sir. You make a point very well.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LordAndrew
c1337us said:
"LordAndrew said:
"Here's a great page to use. It lets you see every recent blog that has been posted... as long as that person has their privacy settings set to publish such information in their feed. Luckily, I suspect most people do that. So check out that page. It's a great way to find blogs from people who aren't on your friends list and don't publish their blogs to the forums.
Well done sir. You make a point very well. "
It probably could have used a few more links. :D
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator
LordAndrew said:
I didn't know about this, and I have been an active member since the site launched. Its hardly well advertised is it. People shouldn't have to find out about it in obscure forum posts, it needs to be more accessible.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb
Sweep said:
"LordAndrew said:
I didn't know about this, and I have been an active member since the site launched. Its hardly well advertised is it. People shouldn't have to find out about it in obscure forum posts, it needs to be more accessible. "

I find it strange (though oddly heart warming) that Giant Bomb's resident blog king is upset that other people aren't getting attention. And I very much agree. I've missed out on quite a few blogs, only to discover them long past the point of relevancy.

=/
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cheapoz

I thought there was going to be more made of user blogs in the redesign, getting attention on their own part of the front page?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Dalai
BiggerBomb said:
"Sweep said:
"LordAndrew said:
I didn't know about this, and I have been an active member since the site launched. Its hardly well advertised is it. People shouldn't have to find out about it in obscure forum posts, it needs to be more accessible. "
I find it strange (though oddly heart warming) that Giant Bomb's resident blog king is upset that other people aren't getting attention. And I very much agree. I've missed out on quite a few blogs, only to discover them long past the point of relevancy.=/"
Well everyone knows about Sweep's blog, but there are a number of people who are just starting and if they don't get any responses, what's the point of continuing if you don't think anybody is reading?

I personally don't see any real difference between the old and new site, but I do think blogs have a special place here along with reviews, guides, etc.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

I love the personal GiantBomb homepage. I just wish I could click "Friend's Blogs" and get a scroll. Old new and otherwise.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16  Edited By Lies
Cheapoz said:
"I thought there was going to be more made of user blogs in the redesign, getting attention on their own part of the front page?"
Yeah, the dudes said they were integrating some slick new stuff, but it really just boiled down to moving the friend statuses and blogs off the profile page and on to the front page :|

I know there's been some call for a "Featured blogs" sort of column/module on the front page, but I guess the guys aren't big on that idea.

This link here is also useful for following your friend's blogs: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/YOURUSERNAMEHERE/network/?action=blog

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Claude
Lies said:
"Cheapoz said:
"I thought there was going to be more made of user blogs in the redesign, getting attention on their own part of the front page?"
Yeah, the dudes said they were integrating some slick new stuff, but it really just boiled down to moving the friend statuses and blogs off the profile page and on to the front page :|I know there's been some call for a "Featured blogs" sort of column/module on the front page, but I guess the guys aren't big on that idea.This link here is also useful for following your friend's blogs: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/YOURUSERNAMEHERE/network/?action=blog"

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Sweep said:
"Customizable profile layouts would also shut me up"
Well this was the original plan in the redesign. I'd hope it's just been postponed, as I'd expect it's a pretty big  and difficult thing to do. Maybe we could get some staff clarification on the features that were in the original mock-ups, but didn't make it into the redesign. Have these features been canceled, or just postponed?
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Hamz

Exclusive right here, the update is still a threat. New / already mentioned stuff may be making its way onto the site in coming weeks and months. Don't be disheartened, the Staff are always looking to improve and fix on all areas of the site. And there is some great ideas in the works.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crunchUK

can;t you like, aqdd them to RSS?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LordAndrew
crunchUK said:
"can;t you like, aqdd them to RSS?"
It would have to be a separate RSS feed, because people wouldn't want user blogs mixed in with their Giant Bomb news.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Jensonb

I'm doing fine with the redesign's handling of Friends' Blogs. They're in the same place as Forum Topics I might like so I can just hit up the site, scroll down and grab the ones I want to read.

Maybe my Friends just blog less than yours.
hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By hexogen

I agree. I dislike how my friend's blog updates are all the very last module on the right side of my profile, though, granted, they do have it on the front page as well. I hope the stuff shown here is still in development, because I'd really like to drag my friend's blog updates up to the top of my profile, as well as increase the number of blogs displayed in the module. For now though, I'm using the Blog Updates page that you can get to from the Friends menu at the top of every page.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Claude
Hexogen said:
"I agree. I dislike how my friend's blog updates are all the very last module on the right side of my profile, though, granted, they do have it on the front page as well. I hope the stuff shown here is still in development, because I'd really like to drag my friend's blog updates up to the top of my profile, as well as increase the number of blogs displayed in the module. For now though, I'm using the Blog Updates page that you can get to from the Friends menu at the top of every page."
Oh man thanks, I didn't notice that. My problem is solved. If it had been a snake, it would have bit me.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#25  Edited By citizenkane
Hamz said:
"Exclusive right here, the update is still a threat. New / already mentioned stuff may be making its way onto the site in coming weeks and months. Don't be disheartened, the Staff are always looking to improve and fix on all areas of the site. And there is some great ideas in the works."
^^^ This ^^^

Customizable profiles, along with other slick new features, are in the development line.  They wanted to get the major redesign out first and then implement the other new features they have been talking about(customizable profiles, achievements, etc) over the next few weeks and months.
Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dauragon

I just look over at the "Friends blogs" section of the front page...

I don't really spent a lot of time on my profile unless I'm writing a blog so I guess the move hasn't really effected me.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ZeroCast

The Redesign is great as it is, placing your Friends' Blogs on the front page is a fast and a more flexible way to see those Blogs. Open the Front Page and BAM you got all the latest Blogs.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LordAndrew
ZeroCast said:
"The Redesign is great as it is, placing your Friends' Blogs on the front page is a fast and a more flexible way to see those Blogs. Open the Front Page and BAM you got all the latest Blogs."
That would be fine, if we actually used the front page. That page is used most by visitors to the site. If it wasn't for the table of wiki stuff, I would never visit it at all. So until it returns, I have no reason to look at that page.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sweep  Moderator

typically when I use giantbomb I bounce between forums and profile pages. The whole point of the homepage is something you navigate away from to find other cool stuff. What was great about having a big stack of blogs on the left side of the page was it meant you could effectively bounce from one blog to the next instead of having to pass back through the homepage every time. The homepage really isnt updated frequently enough for me to need to visit it constantly. I'm all for innovative design, but If it aint broke then it don't need to be fixed. You could have a DROP DOWN list of blogs that drops when you scroll the mouse over it, for example. There are loads of great imaginative solutions other than "for the time being, we'll just stick them at the bottom, out the way". I shouldnt have to click through a bunch of  menus - I want to be able to easily pick a blog from a list of recent blogs, then go read it.

People have been providing existing alternatives to tracking down blogs which is great - but

is there currently a way of easily finding blogs written by people that ARENT already on your friends list?

Most of the people on my friends list are people I added BECAUSE I read their blogs. I havent found or added anyone new since the redesign, basically because I have no easy way to get to their profiles or even find out if their blog exists. For new users with small friends lists this must be a total nightmare.

I would also like to reiterate that people arent going to write unless its easy for other people to find their stuff. Nobody wants to work on something which nobody is going to see. If the blogging community on giantbomb is going to stay alive then this problem needs to be addressed before everyone just gets frustrated and gives up.

*waves flag*
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hamz
Is there currently a way of easily finding blogs written by people that ARENT already on your friends list?
One of the reasons behind having blogs posted to the forums was exactly this. It allows folks to start tracking and commenting on each other's work more easily. I think it would be safe to say 90% of people who blog regularly on GiantBomb make sure their blogs post to the forums, and not just to their profile. So really its very easy to find blogs created by users you might not have been tracking before. Simply check the forums. If you have the option turned off so you don't see them, then that is really your own fault.

I would also like to reiterate that people arent going to write unless its easy for other people to find their stuff. Nobody wants to work on something which nobody is going to see. If the blogging community on giantbomb is going to stay alive then this problem needs to be addressed before everyone just gets frustrated and gives up.
Posting blogs to the forums gives everyone's blogs an equal level of exposure to the community. Like I said most people who blog post their blogs to the forums, why? They know it will generate more comments and be viewed by more people that way. A lot of new users who have created introduction blogs after just signing up recieve a flood of views and replies from the community because they posted the blog to the forums. Posting blogs to the forums is probably the easiest way for others to find their stuff.

You could argue that people with the option to view blogs on the forums turned off will reduce the level of exposure blogs get from the community. But is that any different to having all the latest blogs appearing on the homepage? How many of us are constantly checking the homepage compared to refreshing the forums? And I think it would be safe to say that folks who turned the option to view blogs on the forums off are likely not that interested in seeing everyone elses blogs.

While I can agree that having a more organised / clear layout for blogs would be nice. For the most part the current setup of blogs being posted to the forums is the answer to both your main issues. Blogging to the forums provides extra exposure of your work while also being easily viewed by the community and allowing you to find new blogs / users to be friends with and follow.

And like CitizenKane and myself have already stated, the update is still a threat.
SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Yeah, I agree with OP.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sweep  Moderator
Hamz said:
"
Is there currently a way of easily finding blogs written by people that ARENT already on your friends list?
One of the reasons behind having blogs posted to the forums was exactly this. It allows folks to start tracking and commenting on each other's work more easily. I think it would be safe to say 90% of people who blog regularly on GiantBomb make sure their blogs post to the forums, and not just to their profile. So really its very easy to find blogs created by users you might not have been tracking before. Simply check the forums. If you have the option turned off so you don't see them, then that is really your own fault.
Posting blogs to the forums gives everyone's blogs an equal level of exposure to the community. Like I said most people who blog post their blogs to the forums, why? They know it will generate more comments and be viewed by more people that way. A lot of new users who have created introduction blogs after just signing up recieve a flood of views and replies from the community because they posted the blog to the forums. Posting blogs to the forums is probably the easiest way for others to find their stuff.You could argue that people with the option to view blogs on the forums turned off will reduce the level of exposure blogs get from the community. But is that any different to having all the latest blogs appearing on the homepage?"
MB said:
"Here's a thought - Just because you can cross-post your blogs to the forums, doesn't necessarily mean that you should.  After you submit a blog entry, simply navigate away from the next page where it asks you which board you'd like to publish it to.  I'd say about a third of all blog entries fall under this category...the ones that are like, "I ate a sandwich for lunch today."  That probably doesn't need to be cross-posted to the forums.Other than that, the line between blog post and forum thread is practically nonexistent on Giant Bomb because of the cross-posting feature.  Same rules apply to both."
As MB points out, not all blogs will work as forum topics. My current blog isn't suitable as a forum post so I didnt post it to the forums, but it is far more substantial than "I ate a sandwich for lunch today" and I hope people enjoy reading it. However unless you have me added as a friend it is unlikely that you would ever find it, without prior knowledge.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crunchUK
Sweep said:
 "I ate a sandwich for lunch today"
You're my hero
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LordAndrew

Many of my friends on GameSpot are bloggers. I track them because I enjoy reading their blogs. Many of these bloggers rarely use the forums, and they shouldn't have to use the forums to get people to read their blog. This video blog should help demonstrate my point.

When you post a blog on the forums, people treat it like a forum post, not a blog post. Here's a recent comment from Player1's most recent blog.
Karmum said:

"Kind of surprised I'm the only one who is going to mention this, but I like how the post went from being about advertisements on GB to your website. No offense."
Doing that kind of thing is completely normal in a blog, but once you post it in the forums it just comes off as weird. Player1 could have easly avoided that by not posting it to the forums, but would anyone read it if he didn't post it to the forums? Very few, I'd bet.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By RHCPfan24

I love your ideas, Sweep. I agree that the blogs are always overshadowed on my profile, and they all disappear very quickly. I hope your ideas are put into action.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BiggerBomb

My biggest blog gripe is when I happen to post a reply, regardless of how analytical it is, the blog's creator skips over it and thanks/replies to other users. This is especially odd, considering that my own blogs fair pretty well.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sweep  Moderator
BiggerBomb said:
"My biggest blog gripe is when I happen to post a reply, regardless of how analytical it is, the blog's creator skips over it and thanks/replies to other users. This is especially odd, considering that my own blogs fair pretty well."
I just don't want to get hypnotised by your beautiful.... lucha...cake...........

*drools*
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BiggerBomb
Sweep said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"My biggest blog gripe is when I happen to post a reply, regardless of how analytical it is, the blog's creator skips over it and thanks/replies to other users. This is especially odd, considering that my own blogs fair pretty well."
I just don't want to get hypnotised by your beautiful.... lucha...cake...........

*drools*"

Yeah, yeah, Sweep. Just you wait. You will get your's!
Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Alex_V

I agree totally with the OP. There's a huge dis-incentive to writing blog posts at the moment.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By jakob187

Well, Sweep...I think one of the lines you said might be a little skewed:

"Giantbomb should be promoting user content like blogs, guides, reviews."
Technically...it's their site...and they don't HAVE to promote anything from the community.  Thing is...they aren't dickheads, so they DO promote the community.  That's one of the coolest things about the place at all.  So...I'm just saying that I think it's something you've got to take in context.

Also, they just redesigned the site.  They are still taking suggestions and pushing out code.  So...make a suggestion to the proper people and I'm sure they'll look into it.  They've still got a ton of work to do, so I don't see why this is such an issue when we KNOW these guys work their asses off FOR US just as much as they do for the GB editorial staff.

I think you need to calm down, take a breath, and realize that there is still some work to be done...and they'll get to it.  Busy busy bees...
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LordAndrew

Yeah, they're making changes, but they have to know how important blogging is to their members.
I personally have a few issues with their new image tool. As a frequent image uploader, are my views skewed as well? Perhaps, but it's an important feature for anyone who uses the site. I do intend to make my issues known so they can improve upon it, and make it better for me, you, everyone who uses it.
Sweep is doing the same, but with blogs. He doesn't need help making his blogs known. He already has an audience. But for a lot of other bloggers, the system just doesn't work well for them.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sweep  Moderator
jakob187 said:
"Well, Sweep...I think one of the lines you said might be a little skewed:
"Giantbomb should be promoting user content like blogs, guides, reviews."
Technically...it's their site...and they don't HAVE to promote anything from the community.  Thing is...they aren't dickheads, so they DO promote the community.  That's one of the coolest things about the place at all.  So...I'm just saying that I think it's something you've got to take in context."
Without the community this website is nothing. Making sure the users can use the site efficiently is the top priority, otherwise the users will simply go elsewhere. I don't know if you noticed but there are actually quite a lot of websites devoted to videogames. They didn't build this awesome website for it to stagnate in some shitty corner of the internet. Whiskey spends countless hours making features for people to use; and I am simply trying to contribute with some constructive criticism and feedback. I'm not ordering anyone to do anything, and i'm going to keep using giantbomb whether changes are made or not.

jakob187 said:
"Also, they just redesigned the site.  They are still taking suggestions and pushing out code.  So...make a suggestion to the proper people and I'm sure they'll look into it.  They've still got a ton of work to do, so I don't see why this is such an issue when we KNOW these guys work their asses off FOR US just as much as they do for the GB editorial staff.

I think you need to calm down, take a breath, and realize that there is still some work to be done...and they'll get to it.  Busy busy bees..."
Fuck you dude, don't tell me to calm down. My post wasn't exasperated or unreasonable. How are Whiskey supposed to make cool new features if we don't draw attention to the features which we (the users) feel need to be addressed. Make a suggestion to the proper staff? What do you think this thread is for, a dry run?
Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Disgaeamad
jakob187 said:
"Technically...it's their site...and they don't HAVE to promote anything from the community. "
Gonna have to disagree with you there, jakob. Considering the fact that GiantBomb is a community driven website, it only make sense for the staff to promote things from the community. Fortunately, the staff do try their best to do this, unlike on most other sites.

Constantly praising the site is good, but pointing out the bad things about is a far more effective way to help out as it lets the staff address it as quickly as possible. Sweep's doing just this.

Sweep said:
"Fuck you dude, don't tell me to calm down."
Oh god, just spat Irn-Bru at my screen.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Cheapoz
Alex_V said:
"I agree totally with the OP. There's a huge dis-incentive to writing blog posts at the moment."
I'm holding off on writing my OH SO IMPORTANT BLOGS until they're more prominent.
snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By snide

First off.... 100 friends is a rarity. Seeing as we currently have about 40-70 new blogs coming out of the community each day, the chance that you have more then 10% of them as your friends is not common and the limit of 8 is not a huge concern. If it is a problem, we already have a page for this....

Lists out a paginated version of the full blogs from your friends that can be read.

But what about if they aren't your friends.... ok, we still put blogs on every game/content page in the news and blogs section and people have the option to include their blogs within the forums. We also put new blogs into the main content pages themselves in the feed at the top. That's PLENTY of places to find random blogs. If the user hasn't attached their blogs to the forums or to a game page the likely reality is they don't want a lot of people reading it.

I'd argue that we float user content more prominently then any site we compete against. There is a line where floating unfiltered content onto prominent pages becomes a bit dangerous.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LordAndrew
snide said:
"I'd argue that we float user content more prominently then any site we compete against. There is a line where floating unfiltered content onto prominent pages becomes a bit dangerous."
Sure, it's better than what competing sites currently offer. But before GameSpot's redesign, I was able to view 12 of the most recent blogs from my friends. Now it's only five, which I find to be a huge inconvenience there too, even despite the fact that many of my friends up and left after Jeff got fired.
On TV.com, where you yourself used to work, the limit used to be 10; which is also more than we have here.

Now look at this page from GameSpot. It's largely a matter of preference of course, but I personally like how they're all there easily accessible. Compare it to this page, which requires a bunch of scrolling through blogs I may not want to read and having to use multiple pages to catch up on a couple days worth of blogs.

There's a lot of unused space on the right side of our profiles. I feel we should be able to use it. The only stuff available in that part of the page is blogs and friend updates anyway, so there would be no harm in increasing the limit, as well as including a link to the expanded "friend's blog" view. Yeah, we probably wouldn't have 100 friends now, but don't you expect the site to get bigger? Everyone you see on this page writes blogs, and most of them write blogs often. If I'm not on GameSpot for a few days, I can easily catch up with them. If I'm not on Giant Bomb for a few days, it's nearly impossible.

I really like what you guys are doing with the site. So does Sweep, and probably most people who use the site. But we have do have suggestions for the site, and I like to think that you guys are at least listening.
BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47  Edited By BawlZINmotion
c1337us said:
"I been going in the friends section and clicking on blog updtaes which is super painful."
You're joking right? Mousing over the FRIENDS pull down menu at the top of every page and clicking BLOG UPDATES is painful? It's one fucking click, sheesh. The only thing I would change is having an "option" to collapse the FRIENDS> BLOG UPDATE page to title/author only, so users can quickly scroll through blog topics.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sweep  Moderator
snide said:
"First off.... 100 friends is a rarity."
They just want me for my body ;)

snide said:
"I'd argue that we float user content more prominently then any site we compete against. There is a line where floating unfiltered content onto prominent pages becomes a bit dangerous."
Fair enough - so how about a way to distinguish high quality blogs? Not just a single post, but a blogger in general. There are some people on my friends list who I would like to keep a closer track of because they are making extra effort with their blogs but I cant because i have to keep going back to my profile or the homepage. A customizable list offavorite blogs on profile pages perhaps? Lists is a feature that is fairly under-used at the moment.

To be honest the blog list you have on profile pages at the moment is technically fine - it could be bigger and it being viewable on actual blog pages, as oppose to just profiles, would also make everything a lot more sexy.

I blogged on IGN before Giantbomb and it was a lot easier to single out people and keep track of their blogs. I'm not suggesting for a second that you try to be more like IGN but there were some aspects that they definitely got right and one of them was how easy it was to bounce around the blogosphere - Being able to easily access and view updates of the blogs you are watching from the blog you are currently viewing makes everything a lot easier. 

Thanks for the reply Snide. You, sir, are awesome.
But I still think blogs deserve more limelight :D
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BiggerBomb

A favorite bloggers feed wouldn't be a terrible idea. I'd be interested to see something like that implemented.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LordAndrew
Sweep said:
"Fair enough - so how about a way to distinguish high quality blogs? Not just a single post, but a blogger in general. There are some people on my friends list who I would like to keep a closer track of because they are making extra effort with their blogs but I cant because i have to keep going back to my profile or the homepage. A customizable list offavorite blogs on profile pages perhaps? Lists is a feature that is fairly under-used at the moment."
GameSpot has a User Soapbox that was pretty cool before we all realized it never got updated. If the staff hand-picked great blogs to show off (or hired some guy to do it for them), then unfiltered content wouldn't be a problem. And as for highlighting specific bloggers, that issue is taken care of by GameSpot's Soapbox as well; because once someone has been selected for the Soapbox, all future blogs that are marked as editorials show up there as well.