#1 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

Starting today the great Quebec library in Montreal (La Grande Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ)) as about 1000 titles that people can check out the same way that they loan books.

The CEO stated in a speech that the video games are now considered the 10th Art and should be treated the same as books and movies.

The first donation to the collection was given by EA and the great library expect that it will grow over time.

Here is a photo of the event:

#2 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

Someone should quickly donate a copy of Too Human before the last copy is disintegrated by Epic.

#3 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite library in Canada.

#4 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2775 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre said:
More like I'm Commander Shepard ...and my suit is made of vinyl floor tiles.
#5 Posted by Kidavenger (3553 posts) -

All the libraries around here loan out games same as books, I've never bothered as most of the game you'd want to play are always out, it's nice that the option is there though now that there aren't any rental places left.

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@MonkeyKing1969
@MariachiMacabre said:
Don't talk shit about skinny Shepard, man. That's hard vinyl.
#7 Edited by vikingdeath1 (971 posts) -

Oh snap I gotta go call my Canadian buddy and tell her i'm Finally jealous of something in Canada!

#8 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@MonkeyKing1969
@MariachiMacabre said:
Don't talk shit about skinny Shepard, man. That's hard vinyl.

Honestly if that dude made that suit by himself in his garage then that's really impressive. As for the topic, don't most libraries already do this? I saw video games last time I walked into the one down the street from my house.

Also what are the other 9 art forms?

#9 Edited by ShaggE (6454 posts) -

@Vinny_Says said:

Also what are the other 9 art forms?

Literature, film, music, dance, cuisine, street puppetry, Batman, cartography, Batman again.

#10 Posted by Zaccheus (1793 posts) -

This is a new thing in Canada? I thought it was pretty standard in libraries. Games have been available for quite a long time in Finland. Granted the selection isn't super complete, but I did just borrow Liberty City Stories. There are around 600 titles available at the moment between all the platforms (PS3, 360, DS, 3DS, Wii, Vita) among them such games as Spec Ops, Asura's Wrath, Mortal Kombat, Darksiders 2 and Max Payne 3.

#11 Posted by mellotronrules (1192 posts) -

well, this confirms 2 things i am already intimately aware of. montreal is awesome. and the quebecois- also awesome.

#12 Posted by Zella (753 posts) -

We've been able to loan games from our library for a while over here in B.C. I pretty much never use the public library though so I have no idea about the selection.

#13 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2775 posts) -

On a more serious note, most of the libraries is Massachusetts have games. I can loan games from a few hundred libraries in our state. Cheaper than GameFly because it is free, but you only get games for two weeks in most cases. At my own library I can even help pick out titles, so I tell them to buy games that I don't want to own myself. The other nice thing is if you cozy up with the librarian who process the materials you often can GET the DLC code. So not only do you get the game, but you get the DLC before the next person takes it. Somebody has to get that code...might as well be me.

#14 Posted by believer258 (11911 posts) -

Awesome!

Sadly, the libraries around here don't have any games that I know of.

#15 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

That's awesome I hope more libraries can do that. There are no movie/game rental places around anymore and why shouldn't a library have that when they have movies too.

#16 Edited by NegativeCero (3003 posts) -

The guys dressed as Shepard seems goofy and out of place considering the CEO is telling people how games are a form of art right next to him.

I have no idea if my library or any near me loans games. Might be cool to find out.

#17 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Surprised it wasn't Ubisoft to make a donation given it's long history of being in Quebec. Neat I guess. The college I went to, New Brunswick Community College, did this as well back in the early 2000's as they offered two video game design courses there. They had a terrible selection but it was neat.

#18 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

@vikingdeath1 said:

Oh snap I gotta go call my Canadian buddy and tell her i'm Finally jealous of something in Canada!

What the fuck are you talking about? Canada is awesome.

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@SmilingPig said:

The CEO stated in a speech that the video games are now considered the 10th Art and should be treated the same as books and movies.

Who's the tenth Muse gonna be? Konohana Sakuya?

#20 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

This was probably paid with provincial equalization payments :(

#21 Posted by Labman (288 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

Thank you...that made me laugh.

#22 Posted by bigsmoke77 (789 posts) -

I wouldn't live in Quebec if all video games were delivered to my front door for free upon release.

#23 Posted by worldalpha (6 posts) -

Kinda a cool concept. Looks like video games are going mainstream!

#24 Posted by Carroway (9 posts) -

Weird... thought it was normal to be able to loan video games at the Library, been doing it for years.

#25 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

the one in my town does this as well.