The Quest for the Fight-Pad (..and you thought YOUR day was bad)

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Jolly_Lolly

So I decided to spontaneously call around 15 stores today, hoping they had a 360 SFIV Fight Pad/Stick. Here are my results:

Gamestop: Didn't have jack shit. In fact, out of the 5-6 stores I called, 3 of the guys who answered sounded pretty irritated.

Best Buy: Apparently, "Geek Squad," you know, the supposed "Squad" of "Geeks" that is supposed knows a thing or two about "geekery" things, didn't know what Street Fighter 4 was. They kept transferring me from one person to the next, but all of them simply responded "Uhh..I don't think we have that OLOLOL." I called 3 stores by the way.

CompUSA: Although it says on their website that they carry the controllers, the people I spoke with said they don't sell video games. I called 2 stores.

Target: The most painful of the bunch. The people at the electronics department didn't know what the game was and were dumbfounded when I mentioned the word "joystick." Called 3 stores (which was 3 too many).

RadioShack
: Had the same story as CompUSA, but afterwards telling me to buy a discounted walkie-talkie instead. Called 2 stores.

Toy's 'R Us: Probaly the friendliest of the bunch. The guy told me how they were out of stock and blah blah blah but at least he wasn't a dick about it and explained to me how they were expected to receieve more blah blah and check back in a couple weeks blah blah and then told me to have a "great day," which was pretty nice :)

Walmart: Almost, almost as painful as Target was, but I didn't even get to speak with anyone. I told the lady who answered right away to just, for the sake of baby jesus,  transfer me to electronics, but she of course persisted and asked me "well maybe I answer you question OM NOM NOM" I politely said "you probably wouldn't know what I'm talking about" but she wouldn't let it go so I told her the situation and, after a long, paaaainnful moment, she said "..let me transfer you." But they were apperently busy so I hung up. Called the same store 3 times believe it or not >__<

GameCrazy
: Now here's a real contender. I called 5 stores, and 2 of them had actual FightPads in stock! Unfortunately the 2 stores that had them are roughly 10 and 14 miles away from me. The 10 mile store has the last Chun-Li pad, and the 14 mile store has three Chun-Li pads for 360 and one Akuma!!! pad...but for the PS3 >__<

I was was really close to just saying "fuck it" and driving 10-14 miles for a controller. But I've come to my senses and told myself that that is just too far of a trip for this thing.

Guess I'm sticking with the 'ol X360 pad for now :\

(Also just realized I called around 23 stores oO)

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

So I decided to spontaneously call around 15 stores today, hoping they had a 360 SFIV Fight Pad/Stick. Here are my results:

Gamestop: Didn't have jack shit. In fact, out of the 5-6 stores I called, 3 of the guys who answered sounded pretty irritated.

Best Buy: Apparently, "Geek Squad," you know, the supposed "Squad" of "Geeks" that is supposed knows a thing or two about "geekery" things, didn't know what Street Fighter 4 was. They kept transferring me from one person to the next, but all of them simply responded "Uhh..I don't think we have that OLOLOL." I called 3 stores by the way.

CompUSA: Although it says on their website that they carry the controllers, the people I spoke with said they don't sell video games. I called 2 stores.

Target: The most painful of the bunch. The people at the electronics department didn't know what the game was and were dumbfounded when I mentioned the word "joystick." Called 3 stores (which was 3 too many).

RadioShack
: Had the same story as CompUSA, but afterwards telling me to buy a discounted walkie-talkie instead. Called 2 stores.

Toy's 'R Us: Probaly the friendliest of the bunch. The guy told me how they were out of stock and blah blah blah but at least he wasn't a dick about it and explained to me how they were expected to receieve more blah blah and check back in a couple weeks blah blah and then told me to have a "great day," which was pretty nice :)

Walmart: Almost, almost as painful as Target was, but I didn't even get to speak with anyone. I told the lady who answered right away to just, for the sake of baby jesus,  transfer me to electronics, but she of course persisted and asked me "well maybe I answer you question OM NOM NOM" I politely said "you probably wouldn't know what I'm talking about" but she wouldn't let it go so I told her the situation and, after a long, paaaainnful moment, she said "..let me transfer you." But they were apperently busy so I hung up. Called the same store 3 times believe it or not >__<

GameCrazy
: Now here's a real contender. I called 5 stores, and 2 of them had actual FightPads in stock! Unfortunately the 2 stores that had them are roughly 10 and 14 miles away from me. The 10 mile store has the last Chun-Li pad, and the 14 mile store has three Chun-Li pads for 360 and one Akuma!!! pad...but for the PS3 >__<

I was was really close to just saying "fuck it" and driving 10-14 miles for a controller. But I've come to my senses and told myself that that is just too far of a trip for this thing.

Guess I'm sticking with the 'ol X360 pad for now :\

(Also just realized I called around 23 stores oO)

bagmanforhire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By bagmanforhire

man that sucks i got lucky and found one at bestbuy a week before SF4 came out and they had one left for PS3 at gamestop when i went to pick my game up

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By nexas

10 miles is too far of a drive?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus

I have a fight pad, a Blanka one. After ether going to or calling my local Best Buy every day for a month, I broke down and paid the extra $20 to get one on E-bay. I was actually disappointed. I had gotten so used to the analog stick, I really sucked with a D-pad. It's going to take a lot of getting used to. It IS great for that Sega Genesis collection, though.

No Caption Provided

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jolly_Lolly
Nexas said:
"10 miles is too far of a drive?"
Well, mapquest "estimated" 10...and mapquest is almost always a few miles off (for the worse).

TooWalrus said:
"I have a fight pad, a Blanka one. After ether going to or calling my local Best Buy every day for a month, I broke down and paid the extra $20 to get one on E-bay. I was actually disappointed. I had gotten so used to the analog stick, I really sucked with a D-pad. It's going to take a lot of getting used to. It IS great for that Sega Genesis collection, though.

No Caption Provided
"

You lucky son of a bitch. Blanka is the exact one I want :(

And wow, you searched for a month straight and didn't find any? I only searched for an hour and found 4 o_O (although they weren't Blanka's).

But I think I'll be worse on it as well (if I ever do get it) because I think I am pretty good now with the X360 pad
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus
Jolly_Lolly said:
"Nexas said:
"10 miles is too far of a drive?"
Well, mapquest "estimated" 10...and mapquest is almost always a few miles off (for the worse).

TooWalrus said:
"I have a fight pad, a Blanka one. After ether going to or calling my local Best Buy every day for a month, I broke down and paid the extra $20 to get one on E-bay. I was actually disappointed. I had gotten so used to the analog stick, I really sucked with a D-pad. It's going to take a lot of getting used to. It IS great for that Sega Genesis collection, though."

You lucky son of a bitch. Blanka is the exact one I want :(

And wow, you searched for a month straight and didn't find any? I only searched for an hour and found 4 o_O (although they weren't Blanka's). But I think I'll be worse on it as well (if I ever do get it) because I think I am pretty good now with the X360 pad"
Yeah, though I was searching right when SFIV came out, and they were even harder to find. Plus the only place in my town that actually carried them was Best Buy.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By penguindust

Want to know something sad?  I have a Ken one, but I don't have Street Fighter IV yet.  I went to a Gamestop about 2 or 3 days after release and they had one fight pad left but no games so I bought it and Valkyria Chronicles instead.  I had planned to pick a copy of SF IV eventually, and still do, but I got sidelined with other games and don't have the free time to add another game to my list right at this moment.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DirrtyNinja
Gameshark, has sticks in stock, well they did last night.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By subject2change

Got mine for the PS3 on eBay, actually paid 35 for it shipped but it is a chun-li pad. Haven't even opened it, got used to the PS3 controller and said it wasn't worth it. Going to sell it on eBay eventually for what I paid for it roughly. As I am not an avid SF4 player it isn't worth keeping, also had to buy a new controller due to breaking my original controller from hey guess what, SF4...lol.

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Xandurson

First off, we have a ton at our local GameStops. Secondly, where the fuck do live that you got a CompUSA!!?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

I don't like the fight pads.  I've gotten so used to using the 360 controller that I just can't go to a D-pad now.  Doesn't mean I don't wanna wreck on a tournament stick, though.  I just need the incentive to spend that money...which I don't need since only two or three people around this town seem to be worthwhile fighters.

CursaKuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By CursaKuma

I love your renditions of the employee`s thoughts using capitals.. fucking made me rofl.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero

10 miles?! Son, back in the day we had to walk 15 miles in raining-snow-sleet-hail-lightning every morning just to get to school! And another 15 miles just to get back before supper!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By AgentJ

ten miles is too far? i go more then ten miles to college every day. No question I would have made the trip if someone had one. Wait, were you looking for a stick, like an arcade stick or a fight stick, or just the pad like the blanka one earlier? I'd assassinate for an arcade/fight stick. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By JJWeatherman

Dude, thats one loong craazy journey man...

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By CL60

Ten miles? isn't that only like a 25 minute drive?

QuattroRS6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By QuattroRS6

I got lucky, sort of.  I got the regular fight stick like 4 months later from newegg.  When i saw it there i ordered immediately.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman
@CL60 said:
" Ten miles? isn't that only like a 25 minute drive? "
Yeah really, if that. Unless you live in downtown L.A. or Manhattan or something. In those cases it could take years to travel 10 miles.