• 62 results
sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#51 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@raven_sword: I, and I think others, may joke about it, but go with whatever feels comfortable for you. If you are tired of having to switch the controls, then I hope the change is easy and you are able to enjoy those games with no issues.

Now, to the users claiming that inverters (of which I proudly claim I stand among) would need to also invert the x-axis, this is categorically false. Put an analog stick on someones head, exactly at the top, and every time you push to the side, the head is not turning, it is leaning. Now, if you have ever had someone forcibly lean your head to one side, you reflexively turn your body that direction, therefore when using inverted y-axis, the x-axis does not need to be inverted. Especially when using inverted in flight sims, the aircraft is banking that direction.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There was a period where I jumped back and forth between so many games, and with many of them being older games without much in the way of changing the control scheme sometimes I was okay with any setting, but every once and a while I'd hit a weird slump where where inverted feelt very wrong but normal also felt very wrong and I kept switching back and forth between the two trying to feel comfortable but neither one really did.
So at some point, even though those older games will force their way of doing things on you, I had to just attempt to stick with one way of doing thing so my brain would stop tricking itself into not liking either.
And that way was normal.

Loading Video...
ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@manmadegod said:

@oldirtybearon said:

The best way to explain the difference between wrong inverted and normal style is this:

Inverted players view camera movement as moving the characters head while normal players view it as moving the characters eyes. If you can break yourself of the stupid "I'm moving this head!" and instead recognize that you are controlling a camera that functions as a pair of eyes the easier it'll be to break out of your funk.

Ummmm, does anyone move just their eyes to look around? If you were walking around with a gun you wouldn't just use your eyes. Nope, inverted makes more sense.

I also invert X Axis. Double inverted

You're missing the point. The difference between normal and inverted controls is purely psychological. Whichever "feels" right entirely depends on how you rationalize camera movement in a first person game. I personally view it as moving my characters "eyes" and so I push up to look up, and down to look down. Whether or not it's technically correct in terms of how human eyes actually work is irrelevant. It's about perception, and for the majority of people the perception is we don't "look down" to look up.

Your point in the first post was "If you can break yourself of the stupid "I'm moving this head!" and instead recognize that you are controlling a camera that functions as a pair of eyes the easier it'll be to break out of your funk." Very clearly saying one view of the control is stupid. So no, I didn't miss your point.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@oldirtybearon said:

@manmadegod said:

@oldirtybearon said:

The best way to explain the difference between wrong inverted and normal style is this:

Inverted players view camera movement as moving the characters head while normal players view it as moving the characters eyes. If you can break yourself of the stupid "I'm moving this head!" and instead recognize that you are controlling a camera that functions as a pair of eyes the easier it'll be to break out of your funk.

Ummmm, does anyone move just their eyes to look around? If you were walking around with a gun you wouldn't just use your eyes. Nope, inverted makes more sense.

I also invert X Axis. Double inverted

You're missing the point. The difference between normal and inverted controls is purely psychological. Whichever "feels" right entirely depends on how you rationalize camera movement in a first person game. I personally view it as moving my characters "eyes" and so I push up to look up, and down to look down. Whether or not it's technically correct in terms of how human eyes actually work is irrelevant. It's about perception, and for the majority of people the perception is we don't "look down" to look up.

Your point in the first post was "If you can break yourself of the stupid "I'm moving this head!" and instead recognize that you are controlling a camera that functions as a pair of eyes the easier it'll be to break out of your funk." Very clearly saying one view of the control is stupid. So no, I didn't miss your point.

Oh hi, we haven't met.

My username is Oldirtybaron, I tend to be sarcastic, and I often say facetious (and sometimes even fallacious!) things to spice up an otherwise bland post about something technical. I will endeavour to correct this behavioural quirk as it is clearly distasteful to your sensibilities.

Zeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Here's what caused me to uninvert: playing nothing but Freelancer for several hours a day, over several days.

I'm fairly sure it might be the perfect game to switch your mind from invert to regular, because it lookslike flying but you control it by moving the cursor away from the center of the screen in the direction of your turn. It was super weird when I finally went to play a different game and suddenly I was completely flipped.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#56  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@humanity: So, here's my attempt at the Inverted Pride Flag:

No Caption Provided

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Now, to the users claiming that inverters (of which I proudly claim I stand among) would need to also invert the x-axis, this is categorically false. Put an analog stick on someones head, exactly at the top, and every time you push to the side, the head is not turning, it is leaning. Now, if you have ever had someone forcibly lean your head to one side, you reflexively turn your body that direction, therefore when using inverted y-axis, the x-axis does not need to be inverted. Especially when using inverted in flight sims, the aircraft is banking that direction.

Not if you put it on the back of the head, which is the place people are claiming to control.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I've played inverted for about as long as I could remember. I think it started with golden eye, and was solidified with Halo.

However, after years and years of playing this way, I want to see if I can relearn and learn how to play just using normal. I'm kinda tired whenever I play that I have to invert the y axis and it makes playing games locally with friends passing around a controller a pain.

So. Are you calling Golden Eye wrong?

Inverted is the only way to play. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My control style influences my die style

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ha ha, the responses here are great!

I'm going through BF4 on normal y axis and its pretty jarring. If I'm not focusing I go back to invert mode in my head and it gets all kind of fucked.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop fighting it. Accept it's the proper way to play and enjoy life.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's called Normal for a reason. Inverted Sheeple. hurry and cleanse your body and mind from that terribly wrong control method.

Normal: Something considered a norm. Not out of the ordinary or unexpected. Commonly accepted.

Sheep: A fluffy white animal, easily herded and controlled. Someone who goes along with what others say. Someone without a mind of their own.

???

So you're arguing that the people who are doing the different thing are the sheep? How does that work?

And you may have guessed by now, but yes, I am an inverter.

Loading Video...