#1 Edited by bemusedchunk (686 posts) -

Hey Duders -

Just saw this in a post on gaf.

Not sure if this is legit or not....

Merely passing along the fact that it exists.

@rorie - not sure if this is voilating any TOS or any other legalise...

Edit: Guess it would help if I actually shared the link.

http://teespring.com/ryan_davis

#2 Posted by pandorasbox (303 posts) -

Feels a bit weird and too soon.

#3 Posted by bemusedchunk (686 posts) -

I think if someone wants to do this on their own, then thats fine.

I just don't know if it voilates any terms of service or copywrite infringement due to the Giantbomb logo on the back.

Also, hoping to bring light of all of the small one-off charities/donations being set up so they can all be rolled into a single unified one.

#4 Posted by LegendaryChopChop (1199 posts) -

I will only buy if it supports his family or this company. And only if those involved with him approve.

Otherwise, one day out from a death I will not put money in the hands of another trying to capitalize on him.

#5 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

Just so you know, Rorie stated in another thread that they've discussed the possibility of reissuing some old Ryan shirts and donating the proceeds. Nothing official yet and no word on whether it will or will not happen, but they've talked about it amongst themselves, at least.

#6 Posted by bemusedchunk (686 posts) -

@ajamafalous: I completely understand that. In fact, that is exactly why I'm posting this.

I'm not advocating this charity/donation one way or another. Merely bringing it to the attention of the community.

#7 Posted by Humanity (9054 posts) -

Thats a lazy shirt. Ryan deserves something better than some TXT slapped on a blank tee.

#8 Posted by Abendlaender (2785 posts) -

This is a bit disgusting. If all the money doesn't go to his wife this is fucking gross.

#9 Edited by Monopolized (456 posts) -

yeah.. I was wonder if this was just a. hey it's being "donated" situation.

#10 Posted by bemusedchunk (686 posts) -

@abendlaender: I'm not sure how/if the user even has direct contact with his immediate family.

This is why this whole thing has me confused - and a bit angry.

I know his family and friends would not want something like this - instead, they want to do their own thing and do it the way he would have wanted.

Again, just trying to bring this to light. Hopefully, if Rorie or any other family member is not happy with it, they will reach out to the user directly and discuss.

#11 Posted by RVonE (4631 posts) -

This is a bit disgusting. If all the money doesn't go to his wife this is fucking gross.

The description clearly says that the money goes to his wife.

That said, I think this shirt is a bit morbid. I'd much rather have it just say 'Hey everyone, it's Tuesday!', without the text below it. But that might be just me.

#12 Edited by Abendlaender (2785 posts) -

@rvone said:

@abendlaender said:

That said, I think this shirt is a bit morbid. I'd much rather have it just say 'Hey everyone, it's Tuesday!', without the text below it. But that might be just me.

You can say a lot of things in a description, as far as I know this is nothing official and not binding in any way. Also, just putting out such a shirt probably without the consent of his wife is just distasteful, even if it's meant well.
Might be a bit of a personal thing, I just really resent selling T-Shirts to moan a person. I'd happily donate a bit or something like that but selling T-Shirts.....I dunno man.

#13 Posted by bemusedchunk (686 posts) -

@abendlaender: This is EXACTLY how I felt and the very reason why I wanted to bring it up here.

It just doesn't feel right...

#14 Posted by PhilESkyline (774 posts) -

I'll wait for an official announcement on the website or the GB Crew twitter feeds on donations, charities or any other item purchases.

#15 Edited by Akyho (1599 posts) -

Alright lets run this down on why this is wrong.

1: Legal. This is 100% breaking copyright. Purley on the Giant Bomb Logo.

2: Legal: This is not at all officially supported by anyone that has the Legal right to Ryan Davis name. CBSi doesn't however it would go to his wife or family as keepers of his estate.

3: Legal: This could easily be charged as a fraud. Even if it is 100% going to charity.

4: Morally: A stranger is dictating someone's use of name to ask for money without consent.

5: Morally: The funds are going to a charity not consulted on or picked by anyone who has a connection with the late Ryan Davis. (edited: Was going to his wife. Even with that he never consulted her and just threw money at her. ALSO how can we assure the money WILL go to her if he never consulted her?)

I am sure there is more but these are the black and white of it.

#16 Posted by RVonE (4631 posts) -

@rvone said:

@abendlaender said:

You can say a lot of things in a description, as far as I know this is nothing official and not binding in any way. Also, just putting out such a shirt probably without the consent of his wife is just distasteful, even if it's meant well.

Might be a bit of a personal thing, I just really resent selling T-Shirts to moan a person. I'd happily donate a bit or something like that but selling T-Shirts.....I dunno man.

People experience grief in different ways and express their mourning in different ways. While I'm not going to buy one of these shirts, I'm not going to sit here and condemn the effort either.

#17 Posted by SensuousLettuce (107 posts) -

It was set up by a fan on Neogaf. He's reached out to the crew and if they issue a cease and desist he'll take it down.

And yes it says that the money will go to Ryan's family. Guy will send it to GB and let them disburse.

You guys need to realize that when someone we love dies we want to do something anything to help. This is what that guy did.

Stop looking for a bad guy behind everything.

#18 Edited by Akyho (1599 posts) -

@sensuouslettuce: Even when you have the best of intentions. Doesn't make it right.

I am not going to hang the guy. What he did was wrong and a mistake. He didn't understand Legal or Moral consequences.

I am thankful he is a rational person and has ceased his plans.

Even at that. How was he going to get the money to Anna? He was already accepting money.

Legally, Morally and Logistically this was done very very badly.

He isn't a bad guy...he is a misguided guy.

#19 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

Unless it is done by somebody who knew him personally, whether it be his family or CBS or Jeff and the guys, I am not going to support it (not to mention it commits copyright infringement with the Giant Bomb logo and Ryan Davis' name).

One a side note, at first I thought the thread title read "Ryan Davis Memorial Tree", which I thought would actually be pretty cool.

#20 Posted by GAFman (6 posts) -

He should take it down or remove the Giant Bomb logo, until he has permission. Both for legal and moral reasons. Probably has the best intentions at heart, but doing this right now is misguided.

#21 Edited by Akyho (1599 posts) -

@citizenkane: That does actually sound like a cool idea. if you want it you propose it. I know were are all stupid with grief....but that sounds really nice. I don't know if its possible even if everyone involved gave a thumbs up. Even in my grief stricken mind that sounds nice.

#22 Posted by anothercreativename (4 posts) -

@akyho said:

Alright lets run this down on why this is wrong.

1: Legal. This is 100% breaking copyright. Purley on the Giant Bomb Logo.

2: Legal: This is not at all officially supported by anyone that has the Legal right to Ryan Davis name. CBSi doesn't however it would go to his wife or family as keepers of his estate.

3: Legal: This could easily be charged as a fraud. Even if it is 100% going to charity.

4: Morally: A stranger is dictating someone's use of name to ask for money without consent.

5: Morally: The funds are going to a charity not consulted on or picked by anyone who has a connection with the late Ryan Davis.

6 Morally: Distasteful in almost all regards to this "product" as it is a Product for sale.

I am sure there is more but these are the black and white of it.

I'm who set up the tee. You do bring up a lot of good points and my natural cynical self would agree with you if I wasn't the who set up the campaign. Just to clarify some stuff, I have reached out to the GB guys and I am waiting a response back. I let them know what that I set up the campaign and will take it down asap if they want me to. Technically, no I didn't get permission to use their logo and I understand the legal issues of that. I assumed they would be ok with me using the logo but clearly I should have check in with them first. As I said before, if they want me to take the shirt down I gladly will. All it takes is a reply back from them saying "take it down".

As far as the moral aspect goes, all proceeds ($3,300 if all shirts sell) will be given to GiantBomb so they can send them to Ryan's wife and family. If they want to use the funds to cover any expenses they can. If they want to donate the funds to a specific charity they can. Just for reference, I will go ahead and post the message I sent to them:

Hey guys, I started a teespring campaign for Ryan Davis' wife. I am not sure if y'all are familiar with teespring but it's basically a crowd funding t-shirt design campaign website. If enough people purchase a shirt than the shirts will be printed and shipped out. The person who creates the campaign can pick the price and they will receive any profits from the campaign.

If the campaign succeeds there should be a profit of a little over $3,000. That will be donated to Ryan's wife to help out with the financial side of things. On the shirt design is the Giant Bomb logo, which could very well be copyright infringement. I thought y'all would be cool with me using the logo but if not I will take the campaign down asap.

Also, I realize there are dirt bags in this world who will try to make a buck off of anything. If there is anyway I can prove my sincerity or authenticity please please let me know.

#23 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

Unless it is done by somebody who knew him personally, whether it be his family or CBS or Jeff and the guys, I am not going to support it (not to mention it commits copyright infringement with the Giant Bomb logo and Ryan Davis' name).

One a side note, at first I thought the thread title read "Ryan Davis Memorial Tree", which I thought would actually be pretty cool.

I'd plant THE FUCK out of a memorial Tree

#24 Posted by LegendaryChopChop (1199 posts) -

@red12b said:

@citizenkane said:

I'd plant THE FUCK out of a memorial Tree

Do it!

#25 Posted by CitizenKane (10506 posts) -

@akyho said:

@citizenkane: That does actually sound like a cool idea. if you want it you propose it. I know were are all stupid with grief....but that sounds really nice. I don't know if its possible even if everyone involved gave a thumbs up. Even in my grief stricken mind that sounds nice.

I can look into getting one here in New Orleans. I don't know if Ryan ever visited here, but its a city that he would have loved dearly. Not just because of the nightlife, but because of the culture here. Everyone is so happy and full of life, nothing can bring the people here down. These things everybody associates with Ryan. I wouldn't mind at all looking into it if given permission from the guys and his family.

Also, I don't know if he knew about them, but I think he would have loved the idea of New Orleans jazz funerals.

#26 Posted by SensuousLettuce (107 posts) -

Ryan Davis Memorial Tree is effing epic.

#27 Posted by Chaser324 (6411 posts) -

When I saw this thread title, for some reason I had something more like this in mind:

#28 Posted by itspizza (433 posts) -

I won't buy a shirt unless I'm 100% sure that I'm just paying for the actual cost of the shirt and printing plus shipping, no one should profit off this.

#29 Posted by Osaladin (2515 posts) -

I can understand the urge to do something like this, but it does seem in poor taste. I'm sure the people who knew him best will think of a way where we can all help in some way.

I also thought it was a memorial tree, which I loved the idea of.

#30 Edited by Sanj (2370 posts) -

Unless all the profits go directly to his wife, that is fucked.

Edit: Ok, on the site they say the funds go directly to his wife. But I'm not giving money to anything that isn't endorsed by Giantbomb.

#31 Edited by anothercreativename (4 posts) -

@acrimsonbullet: I'm not sure how I can prove my sincerity but if you have any ideas just let me know. I sent Matthew Rorie an email earlier asking him to let me know what their thoughts are. I gave him my cell number if he wanted to get in touch with me that way as opposed to email. As far as the funds go, they will go straight to Giant Bomb if the campaign succeeds.

@osaladin: Like I said before, if Giant Bomb wants me to take the shirt down I will. If all of the shirts get reserved than $3,300 will go to Ryan's family to help cover costs or for them to donate to their charity of choice. If that is poor taste than I must be severely confused.

@sanj: Totally understandable. The campaign will go for about three weeks so surely I will hear back from them before it's over. I've been trying to get in touch with them over facebook/email but I haven't heard anything back from them yet. As soon as I do I'll post up their response and let everyone know.

#32 Posted by DeeGee (2121 posts) -

I know it's been mentioned, but I hope the guy who made this realises that it's a terrible t-shirt. Just some text slapped onto a plain colour and then the horribly morbid date on it.

Who wants to wear and walk around in what is essentially a tombstone? Not me, that's for sure. If there's an official memorial shirt or whatever done, great, but everything about this is just wrong.

#33 Edited by Sanj (2370 posts) -

@anothercreativename said:

@acrimsonbullet: I'm not sure how I can prove my sincerity but if you have any ideas just let me know. I sent Matthew Rorie an email earlier asking him to let me know what their thoughts are. I gave him my cell number if he wanted to get in touch with me that way as opposed to email. As far as the funds go, they will go straight to Giant Bomb if the campaign succeeds.

@osaladin: Like I said before, if Giant Bomb wants me to take the shirt down I will. If all of the shirts get reserved than $3,300 will go to Ryan's family to help cover costs or for them to donate to their charity of choice. If that is poor taste than I must be severely confused.

Personally, I would take it down and wait for the official go-ahead, or put up a shirt that has nothing to do with Ryan Davis or Giantbomb (or related memes etc), and give all proceeds to his wife. Edit: But even then you're using the recent tragedy to spur sales without the consent of the family...so forget that last option I just said. This needs to be done by Giantbomb.

#34 Posted by bemusedchunk (686 posts) -

@anothercreativename: Thanks for posting all the background info.

Again, I just wanted to make the community and the staff members aware and to bring people together to discuss the situation (if it hasn't already).

#35 Posted by McLargepants (373 posts) -

I'll wait for an official announcement on the website or the GB Crew twitter feeds on donations, charities or any other item purchases.

Yeah this is what I'm doing as well, there's plenty of time to give, but it's important to give to the right people.

#36 Posted by jotap (29 posts) -

I'm sorry to those involved in this and is probably with good intentions but I will only buy tees that are on GB store or officially supported by GB crew.

Thanks for remembering him anyway.

#37 Posted by anothercreativename (4 posts) -

@phileskyline said:

Yeah this is what I'm doing as well, there's plenty of time to give, but it's important to give to the right people.

Definitely a good idea. Hopefully, we will know something soon.

#38 Posted by Rorie (2857 posts) -

@anothercreativename: I sent this to you as an email, figured I'd post it here as well:

I appreciate the thought, but for the moment I think we're going to try and keep this stuff in-house. We're going to discuss how we can move forward with something like this at the appropriate moment, but we haven't really begun to talk with his wife and family regarding if they even wants to do something like this. Until we get a feeling from her and Ryan's family as to what they want to do, I think it'd be best to relax and focus on remembering Ryan rather than putting together some kind of hasty memorial fundraiser when we're not even sure where that money would go or if it would be necessary.

We'll keep everyone in the loop as to when/if we go forward with something like this, but obviously we have other things on our minds at the moment. I know you guys all would like to have some tangible way of showing support for Ryan and his family, but it might take some time for us to find some way to do that.

Staff
#39 Posted by bemusedchunk (686 posts) -

@rorie: Thanks for responding Rorie.

You can close this thread as the topic seems to be resolved.

Thanks for reading!

#40 Edited by anothercreativename (4 posts) -

@rorie said:

@anothercreativename: I sent this to you as an email, figured I'd post it here as well:

I appreciate the thought, but for the moment I think we're going to try and keep this stuff in-house. We're going to discuss how we can move forward with something like this at the appropriate moment, but we haven't really begun to talk with his wife and family regarding if they even wants to do something like this. Until we get a feeling from her and Ryan's family as to what they want to do, I think it'd be best to relax and focus on remembering Ryan rather than putting together some kind of hasty memorial fundraiser when we're not even sure where that money would go or if it would be necessary.

We'll keep everyone in the loop as to when/if we go forward with something like this, but obviously we have other things on our minds at the moment. I know you guys all would like to have some tangible way of showing support for Ryan and his family, but it might take some time for us to find some way to do that.

I just finished reading your email. Thanks for the update and clarification. All the Giant Bomb guys and Ryan's family will be in my thoughts and prayers.