The Shortest Distance Between Two Points.

SirPhobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By SirPhobos

So I'm playing Tales of Vesperia, and I found myself thinking about the linear nature of its world. While the game is pretty big so far, it urges you forward by only letting you explore small sections of the map at any one time. I don't really mind it; in fact, I might even prefer it this way. When I'm playing a game that lets me roam around a huge expanse, I usually find myself getting sidetracked by various side quests, and sometimes by just running around looking at random shit. That's all well and good, but when a game allows you to do that, it runs the risk of making the story seem almost secondary. Granted, when it's done right it can exponentially increase the experience, but sometimes I really just want a more direct apporach to storytelling.

And with Vesperia, the story is good enough so far that all I want to do is progress through it. There haven't been any meaningless side quests with endless repetition to wrap my brain around, making me forget just what the fuck it is I'm actually trying to accomplish. As much as I like both Oblivion and Fallout 3, I haven't played more than around 35 hours in each game. Those hours have been great, but eventually I just flame out and play other games. It takes so long to do something actually worthwhile, that by the time I finally get to that point, something else comes along and I end up not coming back to either game for months. I still like those games a lot, and I haven't given up on them. It's just going to take me a hell of a lot longer to get around to finishing them. Maybe before this generation is over, even. In the mean-time, I'm having a blast with Tales of Vesperia, and I still have to finish Far Cry 2, Prince of Persia, and Yakuza 2. Holy shit, why am I still yammering in your ear then? I have about 60 more hours to play of Vesperia. Good day to you, then.

check out more of my blogs at The Grind Spot

SirPhobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SirPhobos

So I'm playing Tales of Vesperia, and I found myself thinking about the linear nature of its world. While the game is pretty big so far, it urges you forward by only letting you explore small sections of the map at any one time. I don't really mind it; in fact, I might even prefer it this way. When I'm playing a game that lets me roam around a huge expanse, I usually find myself getting sidetracked by various side quests, and sometimes by just running around looking at random shit. That's all well and good, but when a game allows you to do that, it runs the risk of making the story seem almost secondary. Granted, when it's done right it can exponentially increase the experience, but sometimes I really just want a more direct apporach to storytelling.

And with Vesperia, the story is good enough so far that all I want to do is progress through it. There haven't been any meaningless side quests with endless repetition to wrap my brain around, making me forget just what the fuck it is I'm actually trying to accomplish. As much as I like both Oblivion and Fallout 3, I haven't played more than around 35 hours in each game. Those hours have been great, but eventually I just flame out and play other games. It takes so long to do something actually worthwhile, that by the time I finally get to that point, something else comes along and I end up not coming back to either game for months. I still like those games a lot, and I haven't given up on them. It's just going to take me a hell of a lot longer to get around to finishing them. Maybe before this generation is over, even. In the mean-time, I'm having a blast with Tales of Vesperia, and I still have to finish Far Cry 2, Prince of Persia, and Yakuza 2. Holy shit, why am I still yammering in your ear then? I have about 60 more hours to play of Vesperia. Good day to you, then.

check out more of my blogs at The Grind Spot

Narciel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Narciel

I did not read this, but the shortest distance between two points is a folded surface.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Narciel said:
"I did not read this, but the shortest distance between two points is a folded surface."
I was about to say, if you've seen Event Horizon, then you know that folding space in half is the only way to fly.

Though, you risk an eternity's damnation in Hell if you choose to do so.