The State of the Japanese Games Development

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
There has been a notable shift in the industry in recent years. I think Japanese games development has clearly taken the backseat to the west. I just don't think Japanese developers, for the most part, have been taking the same level of risks developers in the west have.  In truth I have grown sick to death of some Japanese games. While on the other hand western developed projects have my attention from the get go, and maintain it because they look so fresh and exciting.

I imagine there is so much young awesome talent going to waste in Japan, with senior bosses not giving responsibility to young promising developers with possess great ideas and vision.Quite frankly, there are far too many old people making games there, and it's stunting their industry. Not all of them can have the genius of Miyamoto, or the humility. Seniors members need to work more closely with their young, they should help to cultivate them and nurture their ideas at every opportunity.

I as a gamer want to see fresh and exciting games, not rehashes of the same old crap. The people in charge need to understand that there are some games that only the young with their fingers on the pulse can devise, and that these are the great games of the future.

Japanese development houses need to tap into this source of creativity, they should have their best talent working on PSN/XBLA/Wii Ware projects often. I believe there is a great financial incentive to do so.  Such project are far cheaper and can also provide an excellent foundation to build fanbases, before fully fledged disc based projects are attempted. At the very least they should have them proposing ideas routinely. In house competitions would be very good idea. Competition is great for creativity, as history has always shown.

I would also love to see them tackle genres that are widely considered old hat and stagnant. I imagine they could bring new life to them, with the gentle guidance of senior members.

The Japanese development community cannot continue making games in a insular fashion, primarily making games for the Japanese audience first and foremost. Especially now given the current economic climate.Capcom now realise this, which is why they now have large western divisions making games which have mass global appeal. PlatinumGames also seem to realise they need to do the same. It's something that will surely hold these two companies in good stead in years to come. I just wish the other Japanese houses would follow suit, and quickly. They need to take a good look at what giakoku devs are doing, and why they are doing it.

Have your rant/say about Japanese games/developers also.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By lordofultima

Capcom seems to have the right idea.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Red

It's totally true. Maybe it's because the average consumer in Japan (no offense) will buy the same stuff with a familiar label moreso than the american one. Maybe it's just the market over there. Capcom, like Lordofultima said is definitely an exception.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks
Red said:
"It's totally true. Maybe it's because the average consumer in Japan (no offense) will buy the same stuff with a familiar label moreso than the american one. Maybe it's just the market over there. Capcom, like Lordofultima said is definitely an exception."

I don't think there is any doubt that Japanese audience are largely to blame, they seem to buy the same ol game with few minor tweaks, repeatedly. As a result developers cannot be blamed entirely, these games are selling after all, even if they do lack the same degree of innovation we see here in the west consistently now.

Look at FFXIII, for all the stunning polish it features, it's done a millions times before turn based combat remains, why?, because SE are scared to change things in fear of the Japanese audience kicking up a fuss. Instead the game simply makes the turn based combat seem more seamless, via cosmetic changes, but it ultimately remains the same tired formula. I guarantee  you the combat in the game will see very little changes over previous games, and what little changes it has got will be similar to gimmicks seen in FF Crisis Core.

Why does FF have to have turn base combat?, why?

Turn based combat is so artificial, I'm really getting tired of it now. I want J/RPGs I play to have realtime combat but only aspects of what we see in turn based combat.

Fable 2 is a good focal point for discussion. In that game you have a RPG that attempts so much that seems not to been remotely considered in Japanese RPG's!. That for me is very damning. I am well aware Fable 2 has aspects that don't work as well a they could do, but none the less, you still see a clear attempt to push the boundaries within the genre and offer something fresh and more immersive for gamers.

It's interesting because here in the UK at least, Americans consumers are perceived as having high expectations and for being very demanding. That may well be having a positive effect overall on their development community.

EDIT: 2

I wanted to strike up some discussion so added the stuff about turn based combat and FFXIII. if your a FF fan and disagree, say why.

sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By sloppyjoe

First, there are a lot of old people in Japan in general, not just who are making games.  Second, "the same old formula" is one of the ways Japanese society works.  Sure, they bring in culture from America and other places that are different from their own, but remember that fitting in is still a traditional value.  Technological improvement is one counter-example of where they can be more creative.

I love final fantasy's turn based aspect.  If you change it, then you need to change the name.  There should be something in common within the series.  I wouldn't expect Call of Duty 5 to be a stealth-based, melee action game.  They could do it, but it would mislead a lot of people who are buying it for the name.  From my view, it is easy and convenient to the gamer to have a series (I hate the word 'franchise') that will keep its core unchanged.  The Japanese, IMO, don't get bored of something that is the same as quickly as the Western audience.  When you get used to the FF games, for example, you understand how the game is going to play out, and one can appreciate the more subtle changes.  As opposed to a significantly changed gameplay, which is more the job of a new, non-FF game.

I love new games, but I will always be looking forward to the next Starcraft, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo.  They are all favorites of mine and I wouldn't want them to change it so much that I lose what I loved about those games.  They can be innovative with changes, but you don't go changing whatever is most basic about those games.  The reason FF and others stay the same for so long are that the gamers do want more of the same, in addition to new games.  At least, this is probably what the business heads believe.

Gaming is similar to movies is this respect.  James Bond is always going to have a Bond girl, a cool car, guns, and exotic locations.  If you want a more modern approach, then call that Bourne Identity.... not James Bond.  It's mostly a naming convention.  Just my opinion.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks

First, there are a lot of old people in Japan in general, not just who are making games.

I know there are lots of old people in Japan, but what has that got to do with this?? It does not mean it needs to be reflected in the development community as it is currently : /

Second, "the same old formula" is one of the ways Japanese society works.  Sure, they bring in culture from America and other places that are different from their own, but remember that fitting in is still a traditional value.

So your saying their cultural differences prevent them from creating games rich with innovation?, so in turn churn out the same tweaked games not to upset people : / . If that were the case their development community would be doomed.

I love final fantasy's turn based aspect.  If you change it, then you need to change the name

Why?.
Do you think it's destined to be the same tired formula forever because of supposedly bad design in FF12 by fans like yourself?.

Progression requires that mistakes are made along the way. Fable 2 has those, and those mistakes are positives that will be learned from in future games made here.

What  positives have SE learned when they revert back to the old formula for yet another game?. As I say earlier FFXIII will likely feature practically the same turn based combat, with a few gimmicks as seen in Crisis Core thrown in for good measure. From what I can make out in the trailer they have simply aimed to make the transition into combat look seamless form a visual standpoint, but not a significant change in the combat itself.

There is far more fun that can be gained in realtime combat than what is found in the artifical turn based form imo.  I think the western fans are turning Japanese (as the song says)in their responses to change.

It's true that there should be something common that runs throughout the series, but why not let that be a great story?, FF is not the only gvame to feature turn based combat after all. It should now aim for something unique to pushh the RPG genre forward and not take it back with this old system of combat.

The one postive I can see is that random batlles have gone, but even there they persisted with that crap for ages, because the Japnese public were happy with it..

When you get used to the FF games, for example, you understand how the game is going to play out, and one can appreciate the more subtle changes.  As opposed to a significantly changed gameplay, which is more the job of a new, non-FF game.

Why does a huge game like FF have to be locked up like that, I do not understand why this need to be the case. The western approach is to experiment with huge games with relish.

While Japanese developers persist with this weak approach to developing the west will continue to progress with consientent experimentation that will benefit the industry here. Sooner or later people are going to get tired o the same formula  as I have. I have been playing FF since the first game,  I don't appreciate these gameplay mechanics anymore.

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wuffi

ff12 combat was awful i prefer turn based, i dont want a button mash real time combat like kingdom hearts

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By penguindust
Linkyshinks said:
I don't think there is any doubt that Japanese audience are largely to blame, they seem to buy the same ol game with few minor tweaks, repeatedly. As a result developers cannot be blamed entirely, these games are selling after all, even if they do lack the same degree of innovation we see here in the west consistently now.
The same thing can be said of the western buying public.  Many first person shooters, the rise of music simulations, and the yearly reincarnation of popular sports titles are always on the top of the NPDs even though there is little change over the previous version.  People, the world over, gravitate to what is familiar and safe.  In this cost-aware climate, taking a chance on something new and alien, is not a choice that most people are willing to take these days.  Developers and publishers can hardly be blamed for playing it safe, especially when so many companies are downsizing or closing shop under present economic conditions.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks
Wuffi said:
"ff12 combat was awful i prefer turn based, i dont want a button mash real time combat like kingdom hearts"

FF12 combat was down to bad design from SE plain and simple, it does not mean they need revert back to the tired formula. Or implement something like the combat in Kingdom Hearts. Why not learn something from the RPG games that seems to work well with realtime combat instead, create something new and exciting.

Anyway, this thread is not solely about the combat in FF, it's more about the stagnation in the Japanese industry in comparison to the west. In my eyes there are still some awesome innovation rich games coming from Japan, but they seem to be made prominantly on the DS.

Silverevilchao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Silverevilchao

[quote]Why does FF have to have turn base combat?, why?

Turn based combat is so artificial, I'm really getting tired of it now. I want J/RPGs I play to have realtime combat but only aspects of what we see in turn based combat.[/quote]

I HATE real-time combat, the only exception to this being Odin Sphere. I have a hard time even swallowing the ATB system. I like turn-based because it allows me to plan out my strategies. And turn-based can have a ton of tweaks to them to make them unique, a la Personas 3 & 4, which pretty much differ in every way, shape, and form from normal JRPGs to begin with.

I just find real-time to be boring. :/ If I want to mash buttons to kill things, I'll go boot up Castlevania on my DS. On the other hand, if I want to come up with a strategy and use it on a boss and see what happens, I'll gladly go boot up Persona 4 and play it for several hours with a huge smile on my face.

Also, I think one of the main reasons why Japanese developers try to play it safe is because they're especially wary. I mean, think about it, Clover Studios did something different with Okami, and what happened to them? Oh, yeah, they got SHUT DOWN. It's even like that in the American industry - games like Psychonauts flopped, while reused, tired tripe like Halo 3 sold millions.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jayge_

The Japanese are a mixed bag. A lot of them are stagnant and rather boring now, and it seems like a fairly large number of anticipated Japanese releases over here are all remakes of classic games. I bought Suikoden on the PSN for like 6 bucks on Christmas, and have had more fun with that than nearly any jRPG from this generation or the last. I don't know why. It just seems like the convoluted, multi-disk, out-of-engine-cutscene humping scene that seems to be the craze now has lost what made everything else fun. That's why the back-to-the-basics updates/remakes do so well. On that note, for some reason, the Japanese are also the only people with the patience (or insanity) for fighting games creation. I still don't understand that.

I think gameplay in general, in terms of games like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest, is more stale-feeling than games in the past because the developers tack on the combat as something to *do* that seems slightly relevant to the story. Older games that didn't dedicate nearly as many resources to this glossy, shiny cutscene fetish don't reflect that as much. Every game tries to tell some amazingly epic, end of the world story. The characters have *ridiculous* names, the games take up multiple fucking disks, and everything is too convoluted. Fallout 3, one of the most critically acclaimed games released last year, was essentially a story about a kid going out to find his dad. Pokemon, an actual jRPG, is a story about a kid who wants to win a tournament. Although Fallout 3 focuses much more on open world and side activity aspects, it still says something. Bethesda was able to create over 100+ hours of content around that simple premise. Pokemon, a series that I've invested a collective 900+ hours into, is even simpler. And both games focus much more on letting gameplay shape individual narratives than letting individual narratives shape the gameplay.

The Japanese RPG genre for the most part is all about running around in some prettyboy's shoes for countless hours carrying out gigantic attacks with swords and wooing borderline-child beauties with large breasts along the way. That is the fantasy that Japanese culture shapes most men (and some women o.O) to want to live out. It doesn't appeal nearly as much to most people overseas. Some people realize that, like Level-5, and just revert back to depth-through-simplicity kind of games with massive appeal to multiple demographics. Games like Layton are appealing for the puzzle aspects, but the charming characters and humor are draws for almost anyone. Games like Cardboard Senki (in development) mimick the Pokemon-style of building your own companion and growing attached to it. Of course, they have projects like White Knight Chronicles, which is still a rather genre-clinging game, although again Level-5 brings out more mass-appeal with the real-time combat and the ability to create your friendly helper, among other things. White Knight Chronicles still hasn't been localized though, and the chances of critical success are low due to what is still an incredibly linear undercarraige.

Games like Suikoden, or Pokemon, both revolve around gathering materials and characters across a world through tiered exploration (shameless concept plug). Both of these games have quasi-open worlds, and do not funnel the player or make them feel like it's incredibly urgent to continue on the main mission and beat the game. I've sort of gotten to the point where I've been typing while paying attention to the TV, and have forgotten what it is exactly that I'm talking about. I'll just leave it off here: Japanese people, as a culture, are much more likely to play it safe and stick to tradition in any situation (see: Twilight Princess, Brawl, Mario Kart). Some formulas, like Mario 64's, are fairly timeless. Many (if not most) others, are not. Some developers are trying to bridge the gaps between the East and the West, like Kojima and Capcom or Sega as companies. Others, like Square Enix, are having incredible trouble. So like I said in my first sentence, it really is a mixed bag. The Japanese are slow to change but fast to adapt to change, as paradoxical as that sounds. So while they may be running on molasses at the moment, the next big craze may come along from some random dev house in Tokyo and they'll all pick it up and explode that craze in an instant, just like jRPGs and space robots. I don't pretend to know what the hell those people do all day.

finalkross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By finalkross

I was in Japan back in December and I noticed that there is a significant different in gaming culture from Japan and the West. Japan is consumed with Portable and Arcade gaming while in North America, it's all about playing in the comfort of your own home.

Most people, in Tokyo specifically, people spend more time out of the house so development companies are focusing their resources on portable games that can be enjoyed while you travel the 1-2 to and from work/school. Arcades are popular because they are everywhere, games can easily be played alone or with friends and again, since people are away from homes for so much of the time, the focus on making popular games for the consoles is not #1 priority.

You can look at the numbers and you'll see it. We westerners enjoy to play at home while Japan looks at gaming as a social function. Because of that, games that are popular here (shooters) are not as popular as games over there (card based games and RPGs). We can't really say 'our ideas are better' but that tastes are just significantly different.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks
PenguinDust

*claps*

Your the fist to raise the (old) very weak argument of FPS all looking the same.

The fact is FPS genre we have in the west is a hotbed for innovation and creativity, that's so because there is so much competition here with the genre.

Look at the eastern equivalent, the RPG genre, a huge chunk of those games are cookie cutter made.

It's standard for music games and sports sims to be tweaked in a minor fashion, but in even in respect to sports sims we are now seeing major innovation there also. Particularly in respect to animation effecting gameplay.

Silverevilchao

Fair enough if you "HATE" realtime combat, but I am puzzled as to why you think it is simply a button mashing fest?, that seems like another tired argument to me.

It's  a shame the Japanese seem so unable to to bring aspects of strategy into realtime combat. We do, we attempt it. Look at the example of DragonAge Origins which is on the way with it's time stopping mechanic.

Odin's Sphere is awesome. Oboro Muramasa will be also

FinalKross

I see what your saying, and I have suspected there may be something like that going on in Japan. I started to be puzzled a little while back when I saw sales data on games like Mario Galaxy that didn't do anywhere near well as expected to. Handheld gaming and arcde gaming does seem too to take presidence in Japan.

Jayge

Very good points, the Japanese industry is definitely a mixed bag, I agree with that entrirely. It's certainly not all bad and I would never suggest that... Suikioden is out on the DS btw.

I love my retro games but even I am getting tired off them flogging remake after remake. I don't mind if they are in download form, or on DS.  It's rather nice to have portable versions of classics. Using that platform as a example. The DS is a hotbed for creativity with some cool developers creating awesome games, developers you mention in your post like Level 5. It's relatively cheap to develop for and allows greater freedom to try out new ideas. Much like what is possible on the download services if developers take advantage of the services better..

Mmm, I see what you are saying, and did think the same in reference to the back to basics attitude of SE in bringing back the turn based combat. That's all very well, but what it does show is that like you suggest, there is a lot of misdirection with these attempts to the push the genre when all they bring is all this convoluted crap. The vast majority never really attempt to dramatically change gameplay anyway.

Fighters have a timeless quality about them, if done right they never really age, their simplistic gameplay mechanics can derive enjoyment for years to come when done right. They are much like  the classic Shmup in the respect. They may all look the same but they do vary significantly from game to game because the fighting mechnics differ enough.  Fighters are also very popular in arcades in Japan, that love naturally filters through to the creation of console versions.

Patience is a good word to apply to the Japanese audience, simply because they clearly have a lot more patience than we have in the west. We here would simply not stand for a lot of this I think, but then as suggested above in a few posts, there are cultural differences at play here.

Yeah, stale is a good word to use, not bad

The Japanese RPG genre for the most part is all about running around in some prettyboy's shoes for countless hours carrying out gigantic attacks with swords and wooing borderline-child beauties with large breasts along the way. That is the fantasy that Japanese culture shapes most men (and some women o.O) to want to live out. It doesn't appeal nearly as much to most people overseas

True.

Japanese people, as a culture, are much more likely to play it safe and stick to tradition in any situation (see: Twilight Princess, Brawl, Mario Kart). Some formulas, like Mario 64's, are fairly timeless. Many (if not most) others, are not. Some developers are trying to bridge the gaps between the East and the West, like Kojima and Capcom or Sega as companies. Others, like Square Enix, are having incredible trouble. So like I said in my first sentence, it really is a mixed bag.

I agree.

sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By sloppyjoe
It's true that there should be something common that runs throughout the series, but why not let that be a great story?

So, this should be unique among FF games?  Shouldn't a lot of games have good stories (especially RPGs)?  Or do you just want a fantasy setting, or similar character design?  Well those are in a lot of other JRPGs, too.  I guess the settings, item names, and "epic feel" alone could be enough to hold it together.  I dunno.

I have been playing FF since the first game,  I don't appreciate these gameplay mechanics anymore.

I too have played since FF1.  I've also been playing Zelda games since the first one, but now I hate the new Zelda games.  Your tastes will change as you grow older (age-wise, mentally, and as a gamer).  This is one realization that is quite important in figuring out whether to buy a new game.  You obviously can't just look at a review and say "oh it's 4 stars... must be ok".  So if you don't like FF anymore, just move on to a new series.

So your saying their cultural differences prevent them from creating games rich with innovation?, so in turn churn out the same tweaked games not to upset people : / . If that were the case their development community would be doomed.

To some extent, yes, it is hindered.  Just a trait of some cohort of people.  It's arguable how widespread it is among different demographics and times.  We've all seen what the Wii and DS have done with innovation.  There is no "upsetting" by change.  I think there is a cultural difference which I can not explain in this comment (if I had the ability to explain at all).

Why?. Do you think it's destined to be the same tired formula forever because of supposedly bad design in FF12 by fans like yourself?.

Not necessarily forever.  In the short term, it will not be very different though.  The changes are smaller, but accumulate or revert back over time (job classes, for example).  All of your problems with FF are the characteristics which come to mind when I think of the name FF.  It would be very misleading to the average gamer to tick up the number by one and change most of the game mechanics.  Like how people say Fallout 3 is not like a Fallout game besides the setting.  And that is misleading to the gamer (I haven't played any of them, so I can't say).  I have no problem with changing things, but it's just a naming mechanism that I'm defending.  Call it "FF something else" like how FFTA is strategy, and FF chronicles is another style of gameplay.  I feel like you basically want a spin-off of an FF, but done well (good music, story characters).  Calling it Final Fantasy 14 would be misleading, that's all I'm saying.  But it's not worth arguing over naming.  I understand you want to progress the series in the way that you define, and to replace the old systems.  But many people enjoy it the way it is, and appreciate familiar mechanics, even if dated or broken at times.  Like I said before, the solution is for you to move on to a new game, and when enough people do this, maybe SE will move on.  But many people like it, perhaps in your eyes like how many people like a crappy movie.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks
sloppyjoe said:
"It's true that there should be something common that runs throughout the series, but why not let that be a great story?

So, this should be unique among FF games?  Shouldn't a lot of games have good stories (especially RPGs)?  Or do you just want a fantasy setting, or similar character design?  Well those are in a lot of other JRPGs, too.  I guess the settings, item names, and "epic feel" alone could be enough to hold it together.  I dunno.

I have been playing FF since the first game,  I don't appreciate these gameplay mechanics anymore.

I too have played since FF1.  I've also been playing Zelda games since the first one, but now I hate the new Zelda games.  Your tastes will change as you grow older (age-wise, mentally, and as a gamer).  This is one realization that is quite important in figuring out whether to buy a new game.  You obviously can't just look at a review and say "oh it's 4 stars... must be ok".  So if you don't like FF anymore, just move on to a new series.

To some extent, yes, it is hindered.  Just a trait of some cohort of people.  It's arguable how widespread it is among different demographics and times.  We've all seen what the Wii and DS have done with innovation.  There is no "upsetting" by change.  I think there is a cultural difference which I can not explain in this comment (if I had the ability to explain at all).

Why?. Do you think it's destined to be the same tired formula forever because of supposedly bad design in FF12 by fans like yourself?.

Not necessarily forever.  In the short term, it will not be very different though.  The changes are smaller, but accumulate or revert back over time (job classes, for example).  All of your problems with FF are the characteristics which come to mind when I think of the name FF.  It would be very misleading to the average gamer to tick up the number by one and change most of the game mechanics.  Like how people say Fallout 3 is not like a Fallout game besides the setting.  And that is misleading to the gamer (I haven't played any of them, so I can't say).  I have no problem with changing things, but it's just a naming mechanism that I'm defending.  Call it "FF something else" like how FFTA is strategy, and FF chronicles is another style of gameplay.  I feel like you basically want a spin-off of an FF, but done well (good music, story characters).  Calling it Final Fantasy 14 would be misleading, that's all I'm saying.  But it's not worth arguing over naming.  I understand you want to progress the series in the way that you define, and to replace the old systems.  But many people enjoy it the way it is, and appreciate familiar mechanics, even if dated or broken at times.  Like I said before, the solution is for you to move on to a new game, and when enough people do this, maybe SE will move on.  But many people like it, perhaps in your eyes like how many people like a crappy movie."

I am suggesting that the core of what's great about FF should be a distinct journey that the player takes, and that everything else should be free for experimentation with including combat. It don't like how it seems locked in the turn based mo(u)ld, I think SE are lacking a great deal of balls and skill quite frankly. The only aspect of turn based combat that I like is the room to add strategy, that's all, nothiung else really appeals to me.  It's a shame the Japanese/SE seem unable to to bring aspects of strategy into realtime combat. We do, we attempt it. Look at the example of DragonAge Origins which is on the way.

Jayge said:

The Japanese RPG genre for the most part is all about running around in some prettyboy's shoes for countless hours carrying out gigantic attacks with swords and wooing borderline-child beauties with large breasts along the way. That is the fantasy that Japanese culture shapes most men to want to live out. It doesn't appeal nearly as much to most people overseas.

It's gotten to the point I agree with views like this, despite the fact I still play FF and DQ. All I am saying is that It's getting seriously tiring now.

I will see what the case is as far as FF13 and then decide. I am keeping a open mind but as it stands now I want to experience something new with my RPG, and the west is delivering that with each new game. I basically want to play more games like The Witcher and DragonAge in the future, because they seem far more exciting and adult orienated, something I appreciate as a mature gamer.

Thanks for your input here :)

TheBigBeefy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheBigBeefy

I've never really seen many differences between American and Japanese games. Except for all of the RPGs they make.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By granderojo

JRPG's work for me when the combat is down.

I am talking about Crono Trigger, the Pokemons, etc.

I think JRPG's would benefit from pulling in players from other genres, because it is becoming more and more niche as the years go along.

Make JRPG hybrids so to speak.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Optiow

I agree!
It seems that a lot of Japanese games now are long boring ones that no one buys, they need to just every idea they have out there, or they will not sell.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PureRok

I <3 turn based. That is all.

Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Marzy

I don't think I've ever been a big fan of Japanese games, apart from Nintendo ones. I'm not interested in RPGs because of the turn-based battle system that most of them use. I do love the Pokemon games though and Paper Mario I found to be good. I may not have a good knowing of Japanese games though and to be honest I never really think about whether a game has been developed by a Japanese company.

Whenever I think about Japanese games though, Final Fantasy and other RPGs pop-in my head and I personally don't like those types of games. In my opninion, I wouldn't say Japanese games are getting stale, but the RPG genre.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks

Well it's true that the RPG genre more than any is going to show signs of staleness in Japan more than any other genre. I have pretty much the same attitude although I would also include Capcom and PlatinumGames to Nintendo.

It makes perfect sense Ross.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

I don't think Western devs have been any more creative, I think it's just that this type of thing is newer on consoles as they used to be dominated by Eastern developers, while Western developers mostly stuck to the PC. With the excuse of piracy or whatever else, they've flocked to consoles in recent years, and especially when Microsoft got into the game. Still, again, I think both Eastand West stick to what they know best. JRPGs and quirky titles we never get here for the East, FPS and RTS for the West (perhaps also Western RPGs, but I wouldn't say they're as abudant as JRPGs).

Honestly, I don't see anything that radically new ever since I got my first PC around 2000 and started playing things like Half-Life, Diablo II and Counter-Strike, after I was raised on things like Panzer Dragoon Saga, Final Fantasy and other such titles. There's the odd more unique gem but the same applies to Japanese genres. Among the crowds of clones, we had gems like Metal Gear Solid, Viewitiful Joe, Resident Evil, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. I don't think Western developers have matched the brilliance of some of these just yet.

Also, while production values are often higher in the West, I think the East still wins on usually having more solid mechanics and less bugs. I can only think of Metal Gear Solid 4 as a game that matches the West in visual fidelity this gen, but on the other hand I can't think of a Western game that matches how tight and solid everything works in something like Mario or Zelda. Compare Link's combat mechanics and how moves just connect with enemies' moves (especially after you get things like shield bashing, counter attacking, etc)  to a Western title like Beyond Good & Evil for example, as grand as that game is. Or compare how solid everything in Metal Gear titles is with Splinter Cell, even prior to the latest.

For your FInal Fantasy thing, it's just what the series has, it practically invented the active timer battles and sticks with them, adding different things for every title. I like the innovation that goes in turn-based-ish RPGs with each designer coming up with their own skill and spell systems. Maybe because you don't like turn based anymore you can't appreciate it, but just as people accuse FPS being samey and you say they aren't, I'd say JRPGs aren't as samey as you think either, only when we take the worse examples, just like with FPS games.

On the other hand, Square do expand to other areas with things like Final Fantasy Tactics which is more hardcore turn based strategy than RPG and Crystal Chronicles and now Crystal Bearers for more action based titles with more unique aspects. There also are non square JRPG series that have action combat systems like Namco's Tales of games, I think they're even more real time and action based than Western RPGs, since they resemble beat 'em ups during combat. I really don't think it's a problem to have certain series stick to what they do best, nor do I think real time is newer or better, just different. I wish we'd see more Western turn based stuff like Silent Storm, but they've all but eclipsed in recent years in favor of FPS and RTS sadly.

Also, 2D seems mostly dead in the West, not just as visuals but also gameplay. Perosnally, I love Konami, SNK, CAPCOM, Treasure and other traditionally 2D developers and wouldn't like to see them extinct for the sake of evolution. After all, within these genres, they also offer innovations like you claim FPS developers do.

I think Japan will see a comeback to people's hearts once the novelty factor of Western titles wears off a little. They never left mine even though I did spend more time with PC gaming than anything else in recent years.

On the other hand, there seems to be a much more vast independent industry in the West, and I often find myself looking into that more than the main industry's titles, regardless of origin. I'm pretty sure Japan has communities like this also, with stuff like the Doujin games, but they're hard to get here due to language barriers, unless it's titles that are very simple like shoot 'em ups and some fighting games. They don't get much exposure here either so they're generally hard to find. Then again, Cave Story ;)