• 76 results
Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

Having to continually adjust the volume.  I really hate it when cut-scenes are way quieter than gameplay. It totally kills the mood of the game when you have to turn the TV way up just to hear what the people are saying and then turn it way back down because the actual gameplay is much loader then cut-scenes. I hate playing with subtitles on, because you end up just watching the subtitles instead of the game. Messing with the sound options never fixes it either, because everything is turned all the way up by default. It's not just games either ever flip around the channels and hit that channel that's 10x louder than the last one for no reason? 

#1 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

Having to continually adjust the volume.  I really hate it when cut-scenes are way quieter than gameplay. It totally kills the mood of the game when you have to turn the TV way up just to hear what the people are saying and then turn it way back down because the actual gameplay is much loader then cut-scenes. I hate playing with subtitles on, because you end up just watching the subtitles instead of the game. Messing with the sound options never fixes it either, because everything is turned all the way up by default. It's not just games either ever flip around the channels and hit that channel that's 10x louder than the last one for no reason? 

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I don't remember ever having this problem.

#3 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: Well you don't play anything past the PS1.
#4 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5040 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

#5 Posted by pyromagnestir (4327 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Video_Game_King said:

#6 Posted by Little_Socrates (5683 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Video_Game_King said:

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Video_Game_King said:

When I saw this in my inbox, I thought you were going to yell at me for using an anime gif :P.

#8 Posted by NegativeCero (3012 posts) -
@Little_Socrates

@pyromagnestir said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Video_Game_King said:

#9 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -

I hate you all 

#10 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Video_Game_King said:

#11 Posted by JacDG (2127 posts) -

Well, I'm with you, it is not a problem in all games, but sometimes it feels like there is a disjointedness between the two sounds, action sounds loud as fuck but the narrative elements aren't as well tuned, and it forces you to turn subtitles on, which I have anyway because even if I miss a few words in a conversation in a game or a movie, given the option, I'll watch an entire scene to hear it again.

#12 Posted by wemibelec90 (1745 posts) -

I agree with this. I live with other people and try to be nice about blaring my games when I play them. Some games just have extremely strange audio balancing where I have to turn the game up to hear dialogue but if I do, the action noises blow out my speakers. Subtitles can help but there are certain games where those subtitles only apply to the cutscenes themselves and not any in-game stuff. It can be really frustrating and is part of why I enjoy playing games on the PC - headphones.

#13 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5040 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Video_Game_King said:

When I saw this in my inbox, I thought you were going to yell at me for using an anime gif :P.

I'm not the Gifster, you can use any gif you want, King.

#14 Posted by wjb (1676 posts) -

I don't have this problem with video games.

I sometimes have this problem when the commercials are a lot louder than the shows I'm watching (understandable!), but 90% of time, I DVR everything anyway.

So...life is good?

#15 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@wemibelec90
@JacDG:  
Thank you two people that aren't acting like I'm crazy. and made this up.
#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

I'm not the Gifster

Is that ?

#17 Posted by Bocam (3785 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I was going to yell at you for calling it an "anime gif" but then I went back to playing Devil Survivor and decided to pity you instead. As you will never understand the glory that is Persona Evangelion

#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Bocam:

Here, this oughta piss you off:

#19 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I hate when some games are much louder than others. I'll be playing something, then when I switch games the volume will be super loud.

#20 Posted by WarlordPayne (701 posts) -

When given the option I always turn the sound effects and music down to about half of what the voice volume is set at because I frequently run into this problem.

If you have your audio running through a receiver you should see if it has a dynamic range setting. Having a low dynamic range can make a huge difference. Some cable/satellite boxes have the option, too, for your TV.

#21 Posted by Bocam (3785 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: That's pretty good

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

Crysis 2 does this holy effing Jesus is the default music setting LOUD AS FUCK. The rest of the game is normal volume but the music is always fucking looooud.

#23 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

"An Ancient Evil Awakens."

#24 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

The thing I love most in video games :

#25 Posted by pyromagnestir (4327 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

I hate when some games are much louder than others. I'll be playing something, then when I switch games the volume will be super loud.

This is a problem I am familiar with. I'm currently playing Skyward Sword, and I have to turn my surround sound's volume way down before playing it because for whatever reason that game is super loud.

#26 Posted by Moreau_MD (402 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

ding.

#27 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@AngelN7 said:

what is it?
#28 Posted by JackSukeru (5922 posts) -

Yeah, I've played Dragon's Dogma too.

#29 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Bocam:

Here, this oughta piss you off:

My skin crawled so accurate.

#30 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

I'm not the Gifster

Is that ?

Impossible, I would never do something like that. I won't be associated with this "Gifster"!

#31 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

Getting caught in the middle of reloading and getting killed in the process. I know, it's my own damn fault, but it still pisses me off!

#32 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1258 posts) -

I agree with this too!

#33 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5040 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

I'm not the Gifster

Is that ?

Impossible, I would never do something like that. I won't be associated with this "Gifster"!

Then, who is the Gifster?

#34 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Cloudenvy:

I was expecting you to respond with this.

#35 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@Little_Socrates said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Video_Game_King said:

>_>

@Totori said:

I hate you all

Sorry. Just saying it how it is. :(

I have had the problem you describe on Youtube- but not with games directly.

#36 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen: I bet it's

#37 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@Totori said:

@AngelN7 said:

what is it?

Everything maaan [empy space] get it? .... pretty deep right?.

#38 Posted by Totori (559 posts) -
@AngelN7 said:

@Totori said:

@AngelN7 said:

what is it?

Are you saying your zero? Empty but with limitless possibilities?
#39 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@Totori said:

@AngelN7 said:

@Totori said:

@AngelN7 said:

what is it?

Are you saying your zero? Empty but with limitless possibilities?
Infinite!
#40 Posted by The_Tolman (434 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Video_Game_King said:

#41 Posted by ninnanuam (284 posts) -

I have this problem with specific games, GTA 4 springs to mind as does lollipop chainsaw and Mass effect 3

#42 Posted by TooWalrus (13237 posts) -

@The_Tolman said:

@Little_Socrates said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Video_Game_King said:

#43 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

That's my problem when I watch movies at night.

#44 Posted by ManU_Fan10ne (662 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@The_Tolman said:

@Little_Socrates said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Video_Game_King said:

#45 Edited by NTM (7484 posts) -

I don't use my TV sound, I use a home theater system, so what you're talking about isn't always a problem, but I can agree on it. The games it's most noticeable is Mass Effect. I can have it loud on regular game play moments, but when it goes to the cutscene where you're getting shot away from the mass relays to another location, it's really loud. I just hate how different games have different sound designs, well... in a way. I mean, when I played Rage, I noticed if you turn everything up in the options, which I often like to do in games, it just makes it irritating to an otherwise great sounding game. I hated having to turn the volume down in game, and it's too bad because it's an otherwise great sounding game, while if I played Battlefield 3, that just sounds fantastic all around with very little inconsistencies.

@PeasantAbuse said:

Yes.

#46 Posted by The_Nubster (2262 posts) -

Diablo 3, at least for me, had this problem. I turned down the sound effects to half and put everything else full.

#47 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -

I encountered this issue when I got my HDTV. I solved it by purchasing a Turtle Beaches headset which I usually wear when playing games.

#48 Posted by Tarsier (1069 posts) -

i have never had this problem . maybe youre just playing bad games

#49 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

This happens when I try to watch video's on youtube, but never in cutscenes so far, that I can remember.

#50 Posted by believer258 (11995 posts) -

@Morrow said:

@Little_Socrates said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Totori

Well, damn it, I do have this problem. I play on 360 most of the time and for some reason no matter what I do, the voices are always too low. I have spent hours upon hours trying to pinpoint the issue but I just can't. I've fiddled with my Xbox's options, messed with my TV's, and screwed around with everything on my stereo, and I can't get to the bottom of it.