The Top Seven Greatest Driving Video Games to Ever Exist.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Edited By WickedCestus

Hello everyone. I am supermike6, Giant Bomb's most committed racing/driving game aficionado. I have played so many driving video games that sometimes I get in a real car and wonder, "Am I driving in a video game or am I driving in real life?". That is how much I play driving video games. Over the years, I have played at least 9 games that include driving vehicles, but for the purpose of this list I have had to narrow that list down to 7. There were some hard cuts. Feel free to leave comments that ignore my list and just say your favourite driving games. That's cool. We all have opinions. But just remember that my opinion is here at the top with a big title and yours is down there, just a child of my cool opinion.

Here is the list:

Top 7 Driving Video Games of All Time

1. Deadly Premonition(As alluded to in my previous blog about Deadly Premonition.) Driving in Deadly Premonition does not necessarily feel like driving a car, but it feels like what you'd think driving a car would feel like if you had only played Deadly Premonition. It's squishy and squashy, but sometimes you drive past a lake, and in my life I have driven past plenty of lakes, which makes this game realistic.
2. DiRT 2DiRT 2 was originally designed for the iPhone series of devices, as evidenced by the lowercase "i" in the title. Fortunately, halfway through development they decided to make the jump to big TV consoles, and created the greatest actual-racing-game of that generation. During approximately 70% of your playtime, you will feel like you have almost no control of your car, and that chaotic nature is what sets the game apart. Other cars will come out of nowhere to crash you into walls; water will get on your windshield to blind you; and random clumps of dirt will send you flying; which is why the Flashback feature is so important. It turns the game from stupidly frustating into stupidly awesome. Also, you get to pretend that Dave Mirra is your best pal, when in real life he won't even answer your many lovingly-crafted e-mails.
3. Euro Truck Simulator 2EuroTruck 2 follows in the vein of Deadly Premonition, prioritizing the realism of looking out of the car rather than the actual driving of the car. While the controls are ultra-real (your truck can flip!!!), what's most important is that each country kinda looks like itself. Switzerland has hills in it, for example. When you are in London, people walk past your truck, and it is implied that they are going to get a "pint" and then partake in the viewing of a match of "footy".
4. Star Wars: Episode I - RacerStar Wars: Episode 1 - Racer is one of the rare video game titles with both a colon and a hyphen, which gives it major bonus points in my Driving Game Ranking Matrix Algorithm Matrix. On top of that, this game lets you drive podracers, which are the coolest part of Star Wars. Featuring all your favourite Star Wars heroes, including Sebulba, Bozzie Baranta, Fud Sang, and Toy Dampner, Star Wars: Episode 1 - Racer is a video game that will never be forgotten.
5. Halo 3Mongeese are awesome. Sometimes I like to play the Valhalla multiplayer map alone and drive around alone and enjoy my life in a way I can only do with my favourite person, myself.
6. BullyIn this game, you drive a vehicle that is known as a bike. In my list of Greatest Bike-Driving Video Games, it barely edges out GTA V and Tour De France 2014 to reach Number One. Just like when a frothy teen drives a bike in real life, Johns Hopkins (the game's protagonist) does not keep his bum on the seat, and sways the bike back and forth to gain speed. Rebellious.
7. Pac-ManIn this game, you drive an experimental military vehicle, the "Pac-Man". Unfortunately, the "Pac-Man" has gone haywire, and is eating the military's carefully-collected horde of pellets. Once the "Pac-Man" starts moving, he is unable to be stopped except by Ghosts, which make their first video game appearance, before going on temporary hiatus and re-appearing in Starcraft: Ghost.

And there you have it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

What were the hard cuts?

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I pretty much learned to drive from Deadly Premonition. I'm real good.

I actually learned to shift a manual playing some sim game in an arcade. I don't own a manual, almost bought a manual 370z but got the auto instead in case I move to Dallas soon, but driving my Mom's manual was easier because I drove that shitty sim.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5 is perfectly reasonable.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

@csl316 said:

#5 is perfectly reasonable.

Totally!

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Brilliant!

I think GTAV is my favourite driving game. I have driven around those hills doing jumps and flips and things for tens of hours.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Brilliant!

I think GTAV is my favourite driving game. I have driven around those hills doing jumps and flips and things for tens of hours.

Most of my time in GTA V has been spent just cruising around until I turn whatever I'm driving into a twisted heap of metal, finding something else, and doing it again.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Glad to see Pod Racer on here, I mean really glad, like seriously.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is a good list.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By DeadpanCakes

Damn good list, I'd say. I feel like I learned a lot from just reading that snippet about Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Newfangled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Newfangled

The collective noun is manganese, not 'mongeese'. Who taught you to words?

Anyway, I agree with your placement of DIrT 2, because 'dirt' is also a thing cars race on, which is what the game is about: racing cars on dirt! When I told my friend Nigel about it yesterday, he knitted his brows and shook his head in a way that clearly said 'admiration' and 'clever' (without him actually saying the words), both at me for figuring it out, and the game makers for naming it DIRt 2.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By WickedCestus

@slag: There was a version of this list with "Mario Kart Wii" on it, but then I remembered "Pac-Man" and it had to be cut.

@newfangled said:

Anyway, I agree with your placement of DIrT 2, because 'dirt' is also a thing cars race on, which is what the game is about: racing cars on dirt! When I told my friend Nigel about it yesterday, he knitted his brows and shook his head in a way that clearly said 'admiration' and 'clever' (without him actually saying the words), both at me for figuring it out, and the game makers for naming it DIRt 2.

I believe it's dIRT 2, but yes I agree. Name titles are a major factor in the Driving Game Ranking Matrix Algorithm Matrix, and having such a self-explanatory name really gave dIRt 2 a big "boost".

Newfangled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: There was a version of this list with "Mario Kart Wii" on it, but then I remembered "Pac-Man" and it had to be cut.

@newfangled said:

I believe it's dIRT 2, but yes I agree. Name titles are a major factor in the Driving Game Ranking Matrix Algorithm Matrix, and having such a self-explanatory name really gave dIRt 2 a big "boost".

Ho-ho! That's very clever. It certainly is 'nitrous' (as in, nitrous oxide, which is a form of petrol)!

I was just out in the shed re-waxing the hull of my KX Lightning RC Boat whilst thinking about your Top 7 Driving Video Games of All Time list, when I was struck by the thick end of the genius pole:

"What if they named their next game 'Tarmac'!"

Wouldn't that be 'car-riffic'? It would, wouldn't it? It would be based around cars on roads (i.e. tarmac), not on dirt (i.e. diRT), as in diRt.

I put the shammy leather down straight away, and rushed to tell Trevor, who was just over the fence—but I don't think he heard me, as before I could say the word 'Tarmac', he had started up his mower, and begun to mow furiously at his lawn. Trevor's hearing always has been a little funny!

I've jotted 'Tarmac' down and shall tell my wife the moment she walks in the door!

Avatar image for arkade_kalamity
Arkade_Kalamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Euro Truck!! Love this game.

My girlfriend says it's the most boring game in existence. "All you do is drive!!" Well, now you know how I feel when I drive you around!

Minus the 18-wheeler hauling dynamite and fireworks of course lol.