The true costs of gaming myths/sillyness

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bhhawks78

Forums and/ even supposedly informed media people on podcasts have been spouting some of this nonsense for years and it drives me nuts.  Also yes I know prices are much higher in many cases in the EU/Australia etc but I'm talking about mostly American people/prices.  Sorry that you guys get the short end of the stick on this one.

Myth #1 OMG Xbox live is 60 $ a year!

Truth:  What dunce besides soccer moms at Christmas time pay 60$ a year?  The cards are CONSTANTLY on sale, on more than one occassion in the past year I bulk bought XBL cards for 20$ and sold them on EBAY for 30$.  If you can't find these sales somehow they are almost always available on ebay for 25-35$.

Myth #2  60$ games waaaah waaah more expensive than last gen!

Truth:   In the SNES/64 era 70 dollar games were very common.  Also you don't need to buy games the day they come out especially when you are already busy playing one you already bought.  I can't think of any game released in the last year or so that wasn't available for 40$ or less BRAND NEW.  This isn't even counting used/gamefly rentals/goozex etc etc.

Myth #3  DLC is crazy expensive!

Truth:  I don't know about PS3/wii because I almost never download anything for them, but at least for the 360 points cards just like live cards are ALWAYS available 20-30% off, and oftentimes 50%+ off.  Target two months ago had a sale where you got a FREE 1600 points card when you bought any game including 5$ clearance games.  It's a rare occurance but 120$ of MS points for 30$ plus a bunch of old crappy games sounds good to me and makes me buy DLC on a whim since say the MW2 map pack (I don't play MW2 but example of "overpriced" DLC) would cost me about 3.50, and if I just bought points off ebay would most likely cost me less than 10$

Myth #4 Ps3/Wii/360 accessories are over priced!

Truth:   Well this one is sadly mostly true unless you are very lucky and hit clearence sales.  120gig xbox hard drives two winters ago at KMART for 15$ is the best example but I'm betting you will be able to get move/natal cheap at a clearence sale at a place like sears/kmart/walmart after they bomb after the initial OMG new thing everyone's buying period.

The whole point really is that MSRP means nothing besides that it let's console makers overcharge for full game downloads (countered by #3)

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Word.

EDIT: Now, to be constructive: I... guess so? Maybe? It's true the XBOX Live costs whatever it costs. Discounts may be frequently available, but that's not the MSRP, like you said. Also, nobody's really being effected by what someone on a podcast says. Chances are, if you're listening to a gaming podcast, you know what's up in the first place. If you don't listen to gaming podcasts, you couldn't care less anyway. The average person just wants to play Madden, and, hey, when's the new GTA coming out? So I'm not really bothered by the above things that you mentioned and, frankly, none of them even occurred to me before you brought it up.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bhhawks78
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" Word.  EDIT: Now, to be constructive: I... guess so? Maybe? It's true the XBOX Live costs whatever it costs. Discounts may be frequently available, but that's not the MSRP, like you said. Also, nobody's really being effected by what someone on a podcast says. Chances are, if you're listening to a gaming podcast, you know what's up in the first place. If you don't listen to gaming podcasts, you couldn't care less anyway. The average person just wants to play Madden, and, hey, when's the new GTA coming out? So I'm not really bothered by the above things that you mentioned and, frankly, none of them even occurred to me before you brought it up. "

The whole point is MSRP means nothing except to mom's buying Christmas presents and idiots.
JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By JoeyIA

Yep, if you pay full price for LIVE you're a fool.  Right now you can re-sub for $1 a month (at least from my US account) which means $12 for a whole year.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@bhhawks78 said:
"The whole point is MSRP means nothing except to mom's buying Christmas presents and idiots. "

So how does that relate to what people on podcasts say, and why are people on podcasts to blame? Because let me tell you something - I know of no Moms over the age of thirty-five (I guess the people you're referring to when you say "Moms buying Christmas presents) who listen to gaming podcasts.
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bhhawks78
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @bhhawks78 said:
"The whole point is MSRP means nothing except to mom's buying Christmas presents and idiots. "
So how does that relate to what people on podcasts say, and why are people on podcasts to blame? Because let me tell you something - I know of no Moms over the age of thirty-five (I guess the people you're referring to when you say "Moms buying Christmas presents) who listen to gaming podcasts. "
You're missing the whole point, even people on podcasts and on forums, the people you'd think would know what the fuck is up because they care enough to spend that time, don't seem to know.  The podcast thing doesn't even really matter please don't derail the thread already when it's on the first page.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@bhhawks78 said:

You're missing the whole point, even people on podcasts and on forums, the people you'd think would know what the fuck is up because they care enough to spend that time, don't seem to know.  The podcast thing doesn't even really matter please don't derail the thread already when it's on the first page. "

I'm just trying to figure out what your point is -- if I understand you correctly, you're irritated because, by your estimation, people get the points you bring up wrong all the time (again, if I understand you correctly). You're correct in many respects, but the fact of the matter is, those products are originally priced at the MSRP by the manufacturer (hence the letter M in the acronym MSRP). That's what the furor over the PSP Go and the PS3 was about - the MSRP, and what those products did retail for in the end, was just too high for the majority of people. You may get away with finding stuff in bargain bins six months after release for 20% or 30% of the MSRP, but that's a discount. So when people say that XBOX Live Gold costs ~$40 or ~$50 a year (whatever it is), they're right, because that's the legitimate price -- irregardless of whether you're able to find a cheaper deal buy purchasing cards, or whatever.

Don't get me wrong though, I do appreciate your points. I'm just sayin'... you can't dispute the MSRP, and you can't fault people if they cite the MSRP, because, yo, that's the actual price. :)
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust
@bhhawks78:  

About the second point, it depends greatly of the place you are and buy from, since in Europe, games like The Darkness still retail at a whopping 70$ new.
bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bhhawks78
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @bhhawks78 said:

You're missing the whole point, even people on podcasts and on forums, the people you'd think would know what the fuck is up because they care enough to spend that time, don't seem to know.  The podcast thing doesn't even really matter please don't derail the thread already when it's on the first page. "

I'm just trying to figure out what your point is -- if I understand you correctly, you're irritated because, by your estimation, people get the points you bring up wrong all the time (again, if I understand you correctly). You're correct in many respects, but the fact of the matter is, those products are originally priced at the MSRP by the manufacturer (hence the letter M in the acronym MSRP). That's what the furor over the PSP Go and the PS3 was about - the MSRP, and what those products did retail for in the end, was just too high for the majority of people. You may get away with finding stuff in bargain bins six months after release for 20% or 30% of the MSRP, but that's a discount. So when people say that XBOX Live Gold costs ~$40 or ~$50 a year (whatever it is), they're right, because that's the legitimate price -- irregardless of whether you're able to find a cheaper deal buy purchasing cards, or whatever.  Don't get me wrong though, I do appreciate your points. I'm just sayin'... you can't dispute the MSRP, and you can't fault people if they cite the MSRP, because, yo, that's the actual price. :) "
The point is that MSRP isn't the real price if you have half a brain, please stop derailing I'd really appreciate it.
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Andorski

Can I get a link to a 1600 MS point card that is 20-30% off?   Been looking to restock my XBL account.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bhhawks78
@Andorski said:

" Can I get a link to a 1600 MS point card that is 20-30% off?   Been looking to restock my XBL account. "

Ebay.com

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?LH_Auction=1&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2969&_nkw=4000+microsoft+points&_sop=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

50$ cards one is 40$ with 25 min left a few are in the 30$ range with an hour or so left