• 81 results
#51 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1934 posts) -

I feel like I say this every year, but the problem with the VGAs has never been the awards themselves. They always pick good nominees and the winners are pretty much always something you can accept even if you don't personally agree with it (they don't pick COD and Madden as GOTY every year even though some people like pretend they do). The thing about the VGAs that is terrible is the production, though that has been getting better in the past couple years.

#52 Posted by BisonHero (7063 posts) -

@crembaw: Blood Dragon is pretty much an expansion pack they chose to sell as a separate thing because no one knows what do with big DLC. It's certainly not a separate game, when it cribs so much from Far Cry 3 but with different art assets.

#53 Posted by GunnerJensen (31 posts) -

Two nominations for Baker, one of which wasn't all that amazing (DeWitt), is a bit odd. He did some fantastic work with TLOU though.

Hoping Steven Ogg gets it.

#54 Edited by Hayt (340 posts) -

Do these guys do a "community winner" for these categories or is "my pick" just to provide Jeff with some numbers on each category to ignore when voting?

#55 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

@pocky4th3win: the walking dead won several goty awards and thats only slightly more of a game then gone home

aaaaagh! It's like an Avengers comic book winning a Nobel Prize in Literature. people are out of their minds. Great, you got something out of it, "when Hulk Smashed! I cried so hard"

#56 Posted by Dalai (7071 posts) -

I guess I've been saying this the past few ywars now, but it's getting a little better. Seeing Divekick nominated for anything is hilarious and awesome, but I'm rooting for Kentucky Route Zero even though the last 3 episodes are still not available yet.

#57 Posted by Hunter5024 (5973 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

That Gone Home got a nomination for game of the year is ... a little conspicuous. There is virtually no gameplay there, so that can't be why it's on this list, and the story itself is not even story of the year. It's not even Storytelling of the year. It seems entirely based on the content the game deals with rather than any sort of judgement on quality.

Oh nonsense. The Walking Dead wasn't much more of a game, and that won their game of the year. I highly doubt that was because all of the judges are so sensitive to Zombie Rights. I'm certainly not one to enjoy a game for the fact that it deals with gay issues, and Gone Home will definitely be on my list. Just because you didn't have as strong of a reaction to the story doesn't mean their nomination is based on some agenda.

#58 Edited by BisonHero (7063 posts) -

"Best Nintendo Game" has no 3DS games, which is kind of bullshit. Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, Super Mario 3D World, and The Wonderful 101 are kind of a weird pick, in a year that has had some strong 3DS games as well.

Sure, 3 out of 4 "Best Handheld Games" are 3DS games, but it still seems weird to include a category called "Best Nintendo Game" when really you mean "Best Wii U" game or something.

#59 Posted by ShotgunLincoln (324 posts) -

Oh man. I hope Divedkick goes all the way and takes the category.

#60 Posted by Starforger (11 posts) -

Bioshock Infinite all the way. That story, combined with fun gameplay, make it GOTY in my opinion.

#61 Posted by Brodehouse (10131 posts) -

@brodehouse said:

That Gone Home got a nomination for game of the year is ... a little conspicuous. There is virtually no gameplay there, so that can't be why it's on this list, and the story itself is not even story of the year. It's not even Storytelling of the year. It seems entirely based on the content the game deals with rather than any sort of judgement on quality.

Oh nonsense. The Walking Dead wasn't much more of a game, and that won their game of the year. I highly doubt that was because all of the judges are so sensitive to Zombie Rights. I'm certainly not one to enjoy a game for the fact that it deals with gay issues, and Gone Home will definitely be on my list. Just because you didn't have as strong of a reaction to the story doesn't mean their nomination is based on some agenda.

Walking Dead had a better story and was far better of a game. Even the story elements in Walking Dead qualify as gameplay, since your choice of input is resulting in different feedback. I just don't see how the story in Gone Home is anything other than an average rendition of the Romeo+Juliet story, I feel like if the protagonists were less topical or if this was in any other artistic medium it would be seen as being... average.

#62 Posted by crithon (3456 posts) -

ugh, this is why I love the whole Bombcast debates of game of the year awards.

Seriously Tomb Raider should be disqualified because Last of Us is there. GTA5 you could make a good debate about that, but I wouldn't do that. Bioshock Infinite has a Serious Sam AI problem, and it feels it'd should have been a Telltale Adventure game instead. Super Mario 3D World is just like just baiting fanboy rage when it looses. I bet you majority of the voters didn't even play it and because they didn't play it it's not going to win even a public vote. SO AGAIN, IT'S BAITING FANBOY RAGE!

I feel sick reading this.

#63 Posted by IIGrayFoxII (305 posts) -

@triviaman09: Did you watch last years? The show has made great strides in moving away from that. They are also trying a different format, this is listed on their website:

VGX will continue the tradition of showcasing world premiere game trailers but for the first time ever, the show will offer extended demos of the next generation of games, 1-on-1 interviews and panels. The new format allows VGX to dive deeper into the world of gaming and extend its coverage beyond award presentations in a more intimate studio setting.

#64 Posted by Hunter5024 (5973 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

@brodehouse said:

Walking Dead had a better story and was far better of a game. Even the story elements in Walking Dead qualify as gameplay, since your choice of input is resulting in different feedback. I just don't see how the story in Gone Home is anything other than an average rendition of the Romeo+Juliet story, I feel like if the protagonists were less topical or if this was in any other artistic medium it would be seen as being... average.

If you tried to put the story from Gone Home in another artistic medium, or if you took out the homosexuality it would be a completely different experience. Tchaikovsky's Andante Cantabile would make a terrible tv show. Dr. Strangelove wouldn't be as acclaimed if it weren't for all of the nuclear paranoia. You see why these are unfair criticisms yes?

#65 Posted by triviaman09 (804 posts) -

@triviaman09: Did you watch last years? The show has made great strides in moving away from that. They are also trying a different format, this is listed on their website:

VGX will continue the tradition of showcasing world premiere game trailers but for the first time ever, the show will offer extended demos of the next generation of games, 1-on-1 interviews and panels. The new format allows VGX to dive deeper into the world of gaming and extend its coverage beyond award presentations in a more intimate studio setting.

I did not. I guess I'll have to give it another chance this year. It seems like they're doing the right things.

#66 Posted by Brodehouse (10131 posts) -

@hunter5024: I understand the point you're making, and you're not wrong, but it doesn't deal with the point I'm making. It is my position that Gone Home is slight, and relies on the topic of its story more than the actual quality of its storytelling. We've brought up Gone Home and Walking Dead, I can tell you I find the topic of Gone Home 100% more interesting than the topic of Walking Dead, but simply put, the actual quality of the storytelling in Walking Dead far surpasses Gone Home. Like I said, I don't think Gone Home wins story of the year or storytelling of the year.

You brought up Strangelove, and this is maybe how I can explain my proposition. My proposition is that, independent of the topic of nuclear paranoia, Dr. Strangelove has cinematic quality, and storytelling quality, comedic quality too. This quality is informed by the topic, but is not bound to it. Whereas in the case of Gone Home, the best thing I can say about it is that its topic is somewhat unique in the medium. But I can't say it's a well told story and I can't say there's any well produced gameplay. Whereas I can say that about other games, even if I find their topic to be plain or boring or non-existent.

#67 Edited by face15 (1306 posts) -

It's really cool and promising that they are recognising a lot of indie games but none of those would be close to my pick for pc game of the year.

#68 Edited by Droop (1916 posts) -

The Fullbright Company for Studio of the Year? Why? What have they done other than make an indie game?

Edit: I guess they made a free commentary thing? Studio of the year award is always so weird anyway. Can we just give it to CD Projekt RED even when they don't release anything?

#69 Posted by Hunter5024 (5973 posts) -

@brodehouse: I wouldn't make the argument that Gone Home has a better story or has better storytelling than The Walking Dead, but I think the two games are certainly similar in that the main mechanic of both is storytelling as gameplay. Which is why I disagree when you say that it isn't very good as a game. Even if separated from the topic, I think there are a lot of things about Gone Home that are commendable, breaking away from story telling, and allowing the story to be discovered by the player is a cool approach that exemplifies the strengths of the medium. Certainly nothing brand new, but the fact that it was done as the main focus of the game, and the fact that it was done well are good enough for me. I also felt that the tricks they used to put the player in the same shoes as the main character were delightful, and I'd like to see more of that.

You and I probably just had very different experiences with Gone Home though, because while you found the subject matter interesting, but the game itself average, I find the subject matter wearisome, but thought the game was rather charming.

#70 Edited by ADAMWD (614 posts) -

@pocky4th3win: Who cares about semantics? All games are experiences, and if we evaluate them as such, Gone Home was one of the best experiences of the year for many.

@crithon The only category voted on by the people is 'Most Anticipated', everything else is voted on by journalists, so SM3DW could easily win GOTY.

#71 Posted by dudeglove (8300 posts) -
#72 Posted by jimmyfenix (3753 posts) -

I cautiously await the fallout 4 reveal at the VGX.

#73 Edited by RecSpec (3943 posts) -

"Best Nintendo Game" has no 3DS games, which is kind of bullshit. Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, Super Mario 3D World, and The Wonderful 101 are kind of a weird pick, in a year that has had some strong 3DS games as well.

Sure, 3 out of 4 "Best Handheld Games" are 3DS games, but it still seems weird to include a category called "Best Nintendo Game" when really you mean "Best Wii U" game or something.

This actually made me laugh, it's like someone's mom calling the Wii U the Nintendo.

#74 Posted by BisonHero (7063 posts) -

@recspec: They should've just said "Best Game on the Nintendo". That would be hilarious.

#75 Posted by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

Will watch for the reveals.

#76 Edited by sjwho2 (46 posts) -

GOTY:

-Bioshock infinite. Good game, not exactly super innovative in gameplay though

-GTA: V. Same thing

-Super Mario: Its nintendo, of course the same thing.

-TLOH: Same thing

-Tomb Raider: Meh. Good game but the gameplay is actualy quite bad with all the QTE's.

O_O

Surprised there was no Saints Row IV. That game is pretty damn fun.

-Looks like its AAA games or no games.

#77 Posted by shinjin977 (799 posts) -

Can we just cut the crap and just make it a 2 hour of nothing but game announcement? The only people watching this thing are gamers and most don't give a crap about awards or whatever. Also, where will I be able to stream this? I do not know where I will be on the 7th and seeing the tease for the announcement, I don't want to miss it live.

#78 Edited by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

We need to get a campaign together to make Divekick win Best Fighting Game. We gotta do it for Lang, guys.

Also, I would LOVE to see The Fullbright Company win Studio of the Year. However, I know that this whole award show will be nothing but Battlefield 4, GTA5, Bioshock Infinite, and The Last of Us...so I'm already less invested.

#79 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2445 posts) -

Where is Antichamber you shitsuckers

#80 Posted by Capum15 (5000 posts) -

@sjwho2: Saints is easily my GOTY. For me, it was fun distilled into the purest form and mixed with the best kind of dumb. Also I might watch this years' VGAs; interested in announcements due to the new consoles.

And for the life of me, I just can't remember any of the listed choices for best song and best soundtrack. The score for GTAV was alright, but no songs really stuck with me from any of those choices.

Still, hope there's some good announcements.

#81 Posted by MocBucket62 (1260 posts) -

@amyggen said:

@demoskinos: "Doritosgate"

This picture is amazing. I'd like to see one video where all Brad and Patrick do is eat Doritos and drink Mountain Dew.

#82 Posted by Draxyle (1898 posts) -

The Video Game Awards are so damn weird; it's like there's two competing groups trying to run the same show year after year.

I'm glad they're referring to it as VGX at least. It's somewhat more honest than pretending it's an actual awards show and not a massive marketing show.