• 96 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Chris86 (65 posts) -

Watching the fury that's unfolding in the Tested forums has really driven home how well the Giant Bomb and Gamespot guys (specifically Jeff and John Davison) have dealt with the site's move.

Because of Jeff's firing this site has had a pretty low opinion of Gamespot (and that's being generous), so this could have got really ugly. But it's become very apparent that there's a reason that Jeff and John are both considered two of the top men in games journalism; they totally, 100% "get" online gaming communities. Looking back on how this announcement and transition happened is like looking at a master class of online community management.

First was the announcement. Although a few things leaked out, the first most of us knew about the deal was the live pancake video. Everything about this was perfect. Someone on Twitter joked that the fact that Jeff was announcing a huge business deal while eating pancakes should tell us that nothing is going to change. Although this might seem like a flippant comment, I think there's a lot of truth in it. The whole video just seemed relaxed and honest. There was no flashy PR speak, no "HEY GUYS, WE'VE GOT A GREAT ANNOUNCEMENT!!", it was just Jeff sitting eating pancakes while he continued to be one of the realest motherfuckers on the planet (second only to Kid Rock in the authenticity stakes). Because Jeff seemed so relaxed in that video it kept all of us duders watching calm.

As well as being a relaxed, no nonsense video, Jeff and the guys also stuck around for ages answering all of the questions that we might have. No one needed to speculate on the forums because you could just ask the guys themselves.

And then there was the interview with John Davison, who it seems is Jeff's new boss (not sure exactly how all that works out but that seems to be the vibe from the video). Instead of producing a flashy video, they just sat down and went through everything that happened with Jeff's firing and talked about the future plans for Gamespot and Giant Bomb. They both came across as having a huge amount of respect for one another, which I think again put the community at ease. Again, everything here kept the community calm and stopped a digital riot.

Now compare that to the clusterfuck at Tested. That first reveal video that ended with Jamie and Adam from Mythbusters appearing was funny and exciting, but it didn't give the community any idea of what was coming. It sacrificed clarity for impact. I genuinely think that if Will and Norm had come out and laid out for the community exactly what was happening then all of this unpleasantness could have been avoided. Will has been in the forums and on Twitter putting out fires, and everything he's saying makes loads of sense. We now get that although his name is no longer front and centre on the site, this is a huge career move for Norm and him. However this just leads the casual observer to wonder why the hell there wasn't a video or article explaining all of these things beforehand?

So much of this anger with Tested could have been avoided. Currently only Jamie and Adam have got there twitter links in the sidebar, which lots of users in the forums saw as being disrespectful to Will and Norm. Will has now clarified that he and Norm will also have their twitter profiles there very soon. But again, you just have to ask, why the hell didn't someone working behind the scenes on the transition see how this would look the the Tested community? When making huge changes to a site that has a dedicated following ensuring that it's existing members don't flip the fuck out should be a priority.

Online communities are living breathing things, changing their environment is a risky thing to do (just ask Digg) but watching Giant Bomb and Tested over the last 24 hours has been a really interesting lesson in how to keep your online community at ease.

The lesson to everyone making similar moves in the future should be clear; don't be flashy, stay calm, explain everything up front, and if at all possible, eat pancakes.

#2 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2296 posts) -

I got a Binary Domain quicklook out of it, so I'm actually satisfied already as it is.

#3 Edited by SwiftFire (75 posts) -

This is a great and well written post. Awesome summary duder.

Defiantly agree with you on the tested stuff. While awesome at first the sudden re-branding really caught me off guard and left me feeling a bit alienated. In saying this the Will and Norm haven't really let me down yet so I'm sure it'll be all rainbows and lollipops in no time.

#4 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Your mom is a lesson to us all.

Because of your awesome post. She raised a great, eloquent individual.

#5 Posted by Shivoa (625 posts) -

Great post.

I think another issue at Tested was how they pushed the site live for a deadline before it was anything like ready. The community was invited in to a forum that was completely broken and unformatted (the 100k+ posts and all conversations everyone was having on the Parchement v2 / WM forum before the switch exist but are all flagged created 16 hours, 30 minutes ago, last post 10 months, 2 weeks ago so you can't find anything so all previous conversations have effectively been killed and the only community conversation is focussed on the new threads all about the sudden switch; at launch they didn't even have the db queries set up correctly so every topic started out with a randomly picked PM from the WM messaging system) and even now there is no user system / PMs. Basically they flipped a switch and destroyed most of the community conversation features that people had grown to expect from WM and left a broken import of the forum as evidence they weren't too concerned with welcoming the regulars back (which is strange considering the great job everyone had done with giving advice to all askers over there with a very low percentage of advice churn or arguments - with a bit of flagging and a better search system it could easily be considered up there with a (small) Stack Exchange Q&A level knowledge base).

It wasn't a clean break message that a forum reset or the like would send to old users but it also wasn't a continuation of the old features and community content, that mixed message is going to leave anyone coming back feeling lost. Add in the rebranding blindsiding people who were expecting to see the two site co-EiCs still being prominently displayed (because none of the rebranding had been hinted at, as you discussed) and you get a lot of people very confused about the community they've been a part of for up to two years.

#6 Posted by Fallen189 (4989 posts) -

NOTHING HAS EVEN HAPPENED YET

#7 Posted by Xymox (2083 posts) -

@Chris86: A top hat for you, you've earned it.

Tested thing kind of makes sense, business-wise. That site didn't really have any pull on me either... But I'm interested to see where it's going now, so to me, a step in the right direction. Only issue is the "community" side of things feels brushed aside. Comments feel hidden, there's no user profile that I can see (so basically, it's a science forum now?)...

GB/GS worked out nicely.

The thing I'm disturbed by is the complete silence on Animevice. No one gives a shit, it seems.

#8 Posted by Pink_o_mat (203 posts) -

You are right!

I was caught totally off guard by the new Tested.com. And the new site is pretty bad on an iPod / iPhone. The old layout was much better on mobile devices (especially the forums).

#9 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

Dude. I just want some pancakes.

#10 Edited by Marokai (2907 posts) -

The Giant Bomb transition has fared better, but I can't honestly say it's because they've been handling it better in some way. Giant Bomb has dodged the bullet that hit Tested merely because Giant Bomb is just plainly a bigger and better operation. Changing it that drastically that fast would just be stupid. It also clearly had the biggest fanbase and the most potential profit behind it out of all former Whiskey Media sites. Wasn't there some statistic that said upwards of 90+ percent of the memberships were made specifically or primarily for GB content?
 
I fully expect things to change here down the road in one subtle way after another, but the reason GB has escaped a complete redesign and change of direction right away is because of what Giant Bomb is. We're just lucky, honestly. For now at least. I also wouldn't declare victory in the initial transition just yet; there's more people to Giant Bomb and more to this site. If there is some sort of redesign planned, it would probably just take more time.
 
At the end of the day I still feel like the Giant Bomb crew could be communicating with the community more about all of this. There was the Gamespot video, and the initial announcement was more sedate, but they haven't really done.. anything, to address specific issues that some in the community have raised. They seem a bit out of touch with the current sense of worry in the community.

#11 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

With the Tested thing, I was of the opinion that if Will and Norm were happy, then I was happy for them. But launching a rushed, broken website is the equivalent of taking a giant shit on their community, which is unfortunate because the Tested community is the only reason that site exists at all. I think they're right in being super pissed over there right now, no matter how much Will tries to calm everyone down. The community were the ones who got the shaft.

Things over there will undoubtedly get better, I just wonder how many people will stick around to wait for it to get that point.

#12 Edited by forkboy (1139 posts) -

Ihate to be the guy who takes it off on a tangent (wait, no I don't), but Kid Rock is the realest? You just reminded me of a Hank Williams III track with that.

Just so you know, so it's it's set in stone,
Kid Rock don't come from where I come from:
Yeah, it's true, he's a Yank, he ain't no son of Hank:
If you even thought so, god-damn, you're fucking dumb.

That's all I got.

#13 Edited by Chris86 (65 posts) -

@Marokai said:

The Giant Bomb transition has fared better, but I can't honestly say it's because they've been handling it better in some way. Giant Bomb has dodged the bullet that hit Tested merely because Giant Bomb is just plainly a bigger and better operation. Changing it that drastically that fast would just be stupid. It also clearly had the biggest fanbase and the most potential profit behind it out of all former Whiskey Media sites. Wasn't there some statistic that said upwards of 90+ percent of the memberships were made specifically or primarily for GB content? I fully expect things to change here down the road in one subtle way after another, but the reason GB has escaped a complete redesign and change of direction right away is because of what Giant Bomb is. We're just lucky, honestly. For now at least. I also wouldn't declare victory in the initial transition just yet; there's more people to Giant Bomb and more to this site. If there is some sort of redesign planned, it would probably just take more time.

I actually agree with a lot of what you're saying. I too think that in the long run this will inevitably change things about the site. And I agree that the situations with Giant Bomb and Tested are different, but I think they both had hurdles to get over.

For Giant Bomb it was how toxic the Gamespot brand was to the majority of the Giant Bomb community. For Tested it was that it seems that Will and Norm are no longer in charge. Although the issues they faced were different, I think that if Will and Norm had done what Jeff and the Giant Bomb guys did (calm video explaining everything up front, being there to answer question as soon as the announcement was made and having an in depth live talk with the new boss/bosses) then a lot of the anger in the Tested forums right now could have been avoided.

So yeah, I agree that it'll be a year or two before we truly get a picture of how Giant Bomb has been affected by this, the point I was trying to make was that the initial announcement and site move has been handled as well as it possibly could have been by the guys at Giant Bomb and Gamespot.

#14 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1568 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

Your mom is a lesson to us all.

Because of your awesome post. She raised a great, eloquent individual.

Didn't see that coming.

#15 Posted by poisonmonkey (331 posts) -

Fine post sir. I agree pretty much with everything on here.

#16 Edited by Knurrunkulus (75 posts) -

@Marokai: Well, they could of course adress every single worry the community has, but that would be only words, wouldn't it? I think that the most pressing questions have been answered (at least to some extent) and there will be more answers down the road for sure. But now they're concentrating on finally getting some new content out and letting that do the talking, which is exactly the right move if you ask me. Yes, this is just the beginning, and yes, no one can really tell for sure what's going to happen in the future, but in my opinion the chances of all this turning out well are far better than the chances of it turning into a disaster. I'm really excited about this "new" start and I think that you can tell from only looking at the recent videos and listening to the crew that they are very excited and happy about it as well. That's a good sign for things to come.

#17 Posted by Matfei90 (1288 posts) -
@Lunar_Aura said:

Your mom is a lesson to us all.

Because of your awesome post. She raised a great, eloquent individual.

Stay classy duder!
#18 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

@Chris86 said:

The lesson to everyone making similar moves in the future should be clear; don't be flashy, stay calm, explain everything up front, and if at all possible, eat pancakes.

that post sums up the situation perfectly (although you seem to have missed a lot of the "apocalypse now!" posts that happened here)

I was extremely shocked when Tested flipped the switch yesterday and after a few seconds to catch my breath, I was cool with everything GB-related. What Will posted last night (?) on the forums is what should've happened before the switch to the new design as a preemptive strike. It's weird how so many people were worried about GB and said the Tested thing was awesome only to have things go exactly the other way around a day later.

Bottom line, though: we should all just calm down and trust in our guys.

#19 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Jef'f's firing did not inform my low opinion of Gamespot. Gamespot informed my low opinion of Gamespot and my low opinion still remains.

I mean just look at that fucking logo.

#20 Edited by Master_Funk (732 posts) -

The Tested thing was messed up because the first video gave you the impression that the website was now Tested featuring the Mythbusters. The second video however, gave me the exact opposite impression to where its now the Mythbusters' Tested featuring Will and Norm. The second video should have had all of them in the same room talking directly to each other, instead of the little but they got at the end. If I was a first time visitor, I would have turned the video off at that point, since I would only be interested in it for Jamie and Adam.

However, Wil has since convinced me that it will work out for the best, so I put my faith in him.

Online
#21 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Completely agreed. Looking through the Tested forums is fucking anarchy and the relaunch was super rushed. I feel a lot better about GB than when first announced, but will just have to wait and see what happens.

#22 Edited by Trilogy (2649 posts) -

@Funkydupe said:

Dude. I just want some pancakes.

Fuuuuck yessss!

Anyway, I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. I started off nervous as hell about this whole thing when I first found out about it. It didn't help that I heard about it through second hand information but the bomb squad has done a pretty great job in reassuring me that things will be ok. Who knows how the future will actually pancake out... err pan out*. I mean, who would of though that this is where GB would end up. It may not seem ideal but when I compare to whats happened at tested, it makes me feel a lot better. I'm sure Will and Norm got paid well but they deserve more ownership of the website they created.

#23 Posted by whyareyoucrouchingspock (975 posts) -

I feel I learned something from reading this thread. I'm sure not what it was but it was probably quite important I imagine.

#24 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

The pancake incident was the most literal sugarcoating of a shocking message I've ever seen. ;)

Seriously, I agree. It was handled very well. I'm sure Jeff has ambivalent feelings towards all of this. While it is some sort of homecoming for him and most of the crew, they leave behind a great work environment and friends as well. But in his position you absolutely must be positive on this. And we should be glad GB continues to exist mostly unchanged.

#25 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2691 posts) -

I would hate to have a site like Tested or GiantBomb on the internet, because I would be reminded when times 'like this’ that my audiences was fully of babies, blowhards, and just plain stupid people. The sense of crazy entitlement people have about these sites would be annoying to me.

#26 Posted by Ben_H (3344 posts) -

Yeah the Tested transition was a complete mess. I support the site, always have and will continue to do so but they should have held off on the update until at least the end of next week. There was a lot of blatantly broken stuff (and still is). For example, you can't edit posts, and when you post after you submit your member medal is a good 2-3 inches away from your avatar (I think this was fixed) and in articles there's a good 1-2 screens of blank white space since the comments don't show until the whole sidebar is scrolled past.  The site felt quite rough and quickly thrown together overall.  I think it would hav quelled a lot of concerns if the site was updated in a less broken fashion.

#27 Posted by bartok (2469 posts) -

I heard a crate of Ryan's shorts were lost in the transition and he was forced to wear pants. 

#28 Posted by Hockeymask27 (3683 posts) -

The whole tested thing could have been avoided if they site did'nt get rushed to change so fast.

#29 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1107 posts) -

I am sure the entitled babies on this site will explode in April when things switch over. It is a shame to see the kicking and screaming at Tested right now, even after the things that Will has said.

#30 Edited by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

Giantbomb didn't actually do anything, there was no transition, there is nothing to be learned from the Giantbomb transition. CBSi bought the site for exactly what it is today. Tested is transitioning from a tech site to an everything site in collaboration with Jamie and Adam. The biggest lesson to learn from Tested is don't rush the site design which anyone could have told you. When you rush the design you want to at least include the two world famous people on the front page. Tested is a tiny site, up until recently Anime Vice got more hits than Tested, the vast majority of new people want to see Adam and Jamies new site not two guys they have never heard of. As harsh as that sounds it's the truth, it was a relaunch of Tested as a site with much more potential but Giantbomb is still Giantbomb. I am sure the personality thing will be rebalanced in the future since they put Will and Norms twitter on the front page again. They rushed the whole thing and probably should have just waited until Monday but the sites only been changed for a day, give it a while and see what happens.

#31 Posted by Hector (3360 posts) -

Well I think the transition period for GB hasn't really started yet till they are settled in. I'm expecting some site layout changes.

#32 Posted by sub_o (890 posts) -

I think the GiantBomb crew understands that its main selling point is the personality. The Tested guys haven't realized that. I like Will not because of the gadgets he covered, but because of 'Exczecutable', penguin suit. and cumface.

Online
#33 Edited by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

I personally think the whole thing could have been handled better if there was more announcement than "surprise, the Whiskey Media you knew and loved is no more". I'm not saying they had to tell us everything when they knew it, but something as simple as "hey guys, some things will be changing" would have been nice, especially in the case of Tested, which has had by far the most jarring transition. And that's not to mention the relative silence on the future of Screened and Anime Vice.

So, yeah, basically I agree with the OP.

#34 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

The only thing that bothers me about this is all the sites breaking up. I liked seeing the entire WM team work together, so I'm just gonna miss that.

#35 Posted by heat (190 posts) -

But it hasn't transitioned yet?

#36 Posted by kagato (913 posts) -

@Chris86 said:

Watching the fury that's unfolding in the Tested forums has really driven home how well the Giant Bomb and Gamespot guys (specifically Jeff and John Davison) have dealt with the site's move.

Because of Jeff's firing this site has had a pretty low opinion of Gamespot (and that's being generous), so this could have got really ugly. But it's become very apparent that there's a reason that Jeff and John are both considered two of the top men in games journalism; they totally, 100% "get" online gaming communities. Looking back on how this announcement and transition happened is like looking at a master class of online community management.

First was the announcement. Although a few things leaked out, the first most of us knew about the deal was the live pancake video. Everything about this was perfect. Someone on Twitter joked that the fact that Jeff was announcing a huge business deal while eating pancakes should tell us that nothing is going to change. Although this might seem like a flippant comment, I think there's a lot of truth in it. The whole video just seemed relaxed and honest. There was no flashy PR speak, no "HEY GUYS, WE'VE GOT A GREAT ANNOUNCEMENT!!", it was just Jeff sitting eating pancakes while he continued to be one of the realest motherfuckers on the planet (second only to Kid Rock in the authenticity stakes). Because Jeff seemed so relaxed in that video it kept all of us duders watching calm.

As well as being a relaxed, no nonsense video, Jeff and the guys also stuck around for ages answering all of the questions that we might have. No one needed to speculate on the forums because you could just ask the guys themselves.

And then there was the interview with John Davison, who it seems is Jeff's new boss (not sure exactly how all that works out but that seems to be the vibe from the video). Instead of producing a flashy video, they just sat down and went through everything that happened with Jeff's firing and talked about the future plans for Gamespot and Giant Bomb. They both came across as having a huge amount of respect for one another, which I think again put the community at ease. Again, everything here kept the community calm and stopped a digital riot.

Now compare that to the clusterfuck at Tested. That first reveal video that ended with Jamie and Adam from Mythbusters appearing was funny and exciting, but it didn't give the community any idea of what was coming. It sacrificed clarity for impact. I genuinely think that if Will and Norm had come out and laid out for the community exactly what was happening then all of this unpleasantness could have been avoided. Will has been in the forums and on Twitter putting out fires, and everything he's saying makes loads of sense. We now get that although his name is no longer front and centre on the site, this is a huge career move for Norm and him. However this just leads the casual observer to wonder why the hell there wasn't a video or article explaining all of these things beforehand?

So much of this anger with Tested could have been avoided. Currently only Jamie and Adam have got there twitter links in the sidebar, which lots of users in the forums saw as being disrespectful to Will and Norm. Will has now clarified that he and Norm will also have their twitter profiles there very soon. But again, you just have to ask, why the hell didn't someone working behind the scenes on the transition see how this would look the the Tested community? When making huge changes to a site that has a dedicated following ensuring that it's existing members don't flip the fuck out should be a priority.

Online communities are living breathing things, changing their environment is a risky thing to do (just ask Digg) but watching Giant Bomb and Tested over the last 24 hours has been a really interesting lesson in how to keep your online community at ease.

The lesson to everyone making similar moves in the future should be clear; don't be flashy, stay calm, explain everything up front, and if at all possible, eat pancakes.

Excellent post sir! You are right, there should have been more communication from Will and Norm from the start rather than the firefighting they are now trying to do. They had to know that changing the site to "Adam and Jamies Tested" wouldnt sit well with the community, a little bit of clarity at the start would have gone a long way.

#37 Edited by Legend (2658 posts) -

@heat

But it hasn't transitioned yet?

Yeah, the site still hasn't changed at all. I think this is why most people stayed calm here. It has little to do with how they handled the situation.

Also, LOL at this:

"Because Jeff seemed so relaxed in that video it kept all of us duders watching calm."

Did you read what people were posting on the chat during the announcement? I was reading both GB and Justin TV's chat and people were freaking out like crazy. I assure you, many duders who were watching that announcement were NOT calm. XD

#38 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

@Chris86 said:

Someone on Twitter joked that the fact that Jeff was announcing a huge business deal while eating pancakes should tell us that nothing is going to change. Although this might seem like a flippant comment,

There's a flapjack pancake pun in there somewhere.

Great post though, really well said about everything.

#39 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

@HarlequinRiot said:

The only thing that bothers me about this is all the sites breaking up. I liked seeing the entire WM team work together, so I'm just gonna miss that.

Me too. I didn't look forward to that very much in July 2010 when they all moved into the same location, but it's probably the one thing I'll miss most out of all this.

Also, post #1,337.

#40 Posted by Jimbo (9804 posts) -

I only care about the substance, not the style, so there was really no way I was going to be 'on board' with this however well they presented it.  
 
The mods going all Bioware and shutting down any dissenting threads/blogs is pretty funny though.

#41 Posted by djames216 (369 posts) -

@Chris86: Well put sir. I agree and only wish I could have articulated it as well as you have.

#42 Posted by Harpo989 (4 posts) -

@heat said:

But it hasn't transitioned yet?

A lot of people have said this, and I think this is simply the advantage GB has in this situation over Tested. That is, GB can afford, thanks to the fact that CBSi wants to keep the GB brand alive in its current state, to keep the site as-is for a few months. They mentioned the site transition/redesign in the video and layed out a general roadmap of how it will happen. Tested didn't really have the opportunity to brace their community aside from "hey guys, the site will look different tomorrow". If Tested could have looked the same and just reflected the new content (like GB will) for a month or two before the redesign, some storms may have been less shit-filled.

#43 Edited by NekuCTR (1663 posts) -

I'm not really worried about the business between Will, Norm, and the Mythbusters. It seems like everything there is still pretty legit. Nobody is getting pushed to the sidelines, and nothing big is getting cut. My problem is that Tested.com, a site I enjoy visiting, is fuckin' busted. It's one thing when your site is down for a day, or even a week, but when using the site is about as pleasant, and appealing as a lobotomy it starts to irk my nerves. I understand they're under time constraints, but the current state of things over at tested is the bleakest thing I've ever seen on the web.

#44 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

@Fallen189 said:

NOTHING HAS EVEN HAPPENED YET

Yes.

#45 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@forkboy said:

Ihate to be the guy who takes it off on a tangent (wait, no I don't), but Kid Rock is the realest? You just reminded me of a Hank Williams III track with that.

Just so you know, so it's it's set in stone,
Kid Rock don't come from where I come from:
Yeah, it's true, he's a Yank, he ain't no son of Hank:
If you even thought so, god-damn, you're fucking dumb.

That's all I got.

No one is more authentic than Kid Rock.
#46 Posted by Mooshu (486 posts) -

That was a surprisingly well written post.

#47 Posted by forkboy (1139 posts) -

@TehFlan: Clearly I am shit at knowing my GB memes. I don't remember what I did yesterday (well I do actually, I sat on Giant Bomb all day hitting F5 waiting for NEWS) let alone at what was said on here 18 months ago. I apologise :-(

#48 Edited by Chris86 (65 posts) -

@Legend said:

@heat

But it hasn't transitioned yet?

Yeah, the site still hasn't changed at all. I think this is why most people stayed calm here. It has little to do with how they handled the situation.

Also, LOL at this:

"Because Jeff seemed so relaxed in that video it kept all of us duders watching calm."

Did you read what people were posting on the chat during the announcement? I was reading both GB and Justin TV's chat and people were freaking out like crazy. I assure you, many duders who were watching that announcement were NOT calm. XD

You've got me there, I wasn't in the Giant Bomb chat at the time because I couldn't get the feed to work (a problem I think a lot of people had) but I was watching on Justin TV. In the Justin TV feed there were plenty of "NNNOOOOO!!!!!" type comments, but I took a lot of them to be at least slightly tongue in check. I could be wrong there but that's just my interpretation.

And yeah, I concede that a lot of people have been flipping out, I guess I should have been a bit clearer. What I meant was that Jeff and the Giant Bomb guys kept their community calm relative to what you could expect considering the history between Giant Bomb and Gamespot.

A lot of people in here are saying that the situation with GIant Bomb and Tested is different because the Tested site was changed and Giant Bomb hasn't. This is true, but I still genuinely believe that if Will and Norm had explained the reasoning behind everything up front then a lot of the unpleasantness could have been avoided (not all, but a lot).

And to the others who are saying that nothing has changed yet because the site hasn't transitioned yet. Yes, you're right. I should have perhaps been a bit clearer in my original post that I was just talking about the initial 24 hour period. When I say transition I meant the period from Jeff signing the documents, to the first Quick Look going out from inside Gamespot HQ. I fully expect there to be changes from here on out, but I think they'll be gradual over the next weeks, months and years.

The main point I was trying to make in my post was this; if you'd told me a week ago that Giant Bomb was going to be bought by Gamespot owners CBS then I'd have fully expected the Giant Bomb forums to be on fire for weeks afterwards. That hasn't happened. I think the reason that hasn't happened is the clam way that Jeff and the guys explained everything up front.

If you take CBS buying Giant Bomb as a starting point, can anyone honestly point to a mistake that the Giant Bomb guys have made in this last couple of days? I'm not commenting on whether or not it's a good thing that CBS bought Giant Bomb, I just think that since they did Jeff and the guys haven't put a foot wrong. They've done right be us; they've treated us with respect.

[Edit: Oh, and thanks to all the people who said nice things about my original post!]

#49 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@forkboy said:

@TehFlan: Clearly I am shit at knowing my GB memes. I don't remember what I did yesterday (well I do actually, I sat on Giant Bomb all day hitting F5 waiting for NEWS) let alone at what was said on here 18 months ago. I apologise :-(

No need to apologize, duder. Just thought I'd drop some knowledge.
#50 Posted by Nightriff (5027 posts) -

Well stated. Tested looks like shit now and GB still looks the same for the time being. Jeff and the gang did it well.