The Weekly Wiki Update - Sunday, March 15th 2015.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

Edited By bobafettjm

Welcome everyone to my tales of working on the Giant Bomb wiki. So it has actually been two weeks since my last "weekly" wiki update, but the thing is I honestly thought I had just done it last week. So other than that I spent the first half of this week barely getting to spend any time at my computer since I was laid up on the couch with pain in every joint in my body. Alright, enough of this boring catch up, on to what I did get a chance to work on.

The Pages

Since the last weekly wiki update I did not do too much, so this should be short. I added overviews and some basic information/clean up on Turbo Prop Racing for the PlayStation and ToeJam & Earl III: Mission to Earth for the Xbox. I got to the Turbo Prop Racing page after I purchased the game, and honestly do not remember how I stumbled on the ToeJam & Earl page, probably something to do with the new game.

After those pages I decided to see if Giant Bomb had pages for some of the games I have been playing on my phone recently. I started out with the game Pocket Mine. I have been playing a fair amount of it so I thought it could use a page. I also went and added a page for Roofdog Games, which is the developer and a page for the Pocket Mine franchise.

Since the sequel to Pocket Mine was recently released I decided Pocket Mine 2 needed a page also. After all those pages were created I added a gameplay section to the first Pocket Mine, and plan on doing the same for the sequel.

Closing

Another weekly wiki update is in the can. I wanted to point out The Wiki Discussion Thread that was created by @beachthunder. There has been some good wiki discussions going on over there so if you have any issues, ideas, or whatever pertaining to the wiki that is a good place to go. As always, what kinds of things have all you been doing in this fine wiki of ours?

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#1 Mento  Moderator

Good timing: I'm deep into my SNES '94 Wiki Project, getting close to Spring. I'm going to leave it at that, because otherwise this'll be all I talk about for the next forty updates of yours. I am wondering whether or not to do round-up blogs for each month or just one big conclusive piece once I'm done with 1994. Between all the Super Famicom mahjong/pachi-slot games and the licensed dreck the Super Nintendo saw, there's a few gems and curios scattered around. A few.

Instead, I'll talk about some mod stuff, hopefully without incriminating myself with any behind-the-scenes secrets (we really don't have any secrets, beyond knowing the full extent of the current level of wiki jank). I recently emancipated Beam Software, a 90s Australian developer I have a lot of fondness for (they made the SNES Shadowrun game, among others), from its last incarnation as Krome Studios Melbourne, which I believe were credited for two or three games before Krome vanished (and recently reappeared as an iOS/Android developer).

I intend to do the same with 989 Studios and Sony Imagesoft at some point as well, though the separation will be way messier with those two. Legacy company pages are my jam right now.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By bobafettjm

@mento: The company pages are something that I have often wanted to work on, but every time I start to do it I run into some huge complicated rabbit hole of buy outs and mergers.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#3 Mento  Moderator

@bobafettjm: Yep. Whether or not a company page should exist is one of those tricky, debate-worthy topics that will need to be locked down for this hypothetical style guide of ours.

Our main roadblock right now with creating legacy pages is that it can be hard to interpret which incarnation of a company that's gone through a lot of changes (say, Atari SA/Infogrames) is responsible for the game page you're working on. You don't get a whole lot of info from the drop-down menu when adding companies to releases, for example, and I usually have to check to see whether I meant Victor Interactive or Victor Entertainment.

Still, I always like to credit a game to the company that made it, not the company it eventually morphed into after a few name changes and staff turnovers.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mento: I agree 100% with crediting the company that made it. I think having some other company listed can make things confusing for someone who may not know that they got bought out or what have you.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@mento: @bobafettjm:

A name change for a company is one thing, but mergers and buyouts are to me where this gets tricky.

I once wrote a wiki page on here for a developer that was acquired, developed a game for the newly combined company, then the parent went bankrupt and the studio/subsidary ended up selling itself to another Publisher, developed one game for the new parent, the studio was immediately shutdown and the parent itself merged with another company.

I honestly don't have a good answer for this.