#1 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

It's pretty simple really : 

Whats happening today is this: Consoles are rising, console popularity going up, the consoles are the future, while the PC's fire is fading and its stuck in the past  
Now, im not biased to any platform. i own both PC and PS3 and working on getting a X360 and i think each platform is amazing in its own ways. However, i still do have a problem with what i mentioned above, for the simple following reason : 

It's in our nature as a part of advancing and evolution that the newer and more advanced technology smothers the older/weaker technology and takes over and has everyone buying the new/better shit. Be it electronics, or cars, or whatever..  
From a totally neutral point of view, its quite clear for me that the PC is the better machine. it has alot more potential and is unlimited. It has the better graphics (personally i dont give a fuck about graphics) and in video games graphics ARE a big part of the experience because they are the eye candy and eye candy ALWAYS mattered to the masses.. the whole 'graphics dont matter' attitude people are having is clearly because they cant afford a PC video card.  
(If you guys didnt care about graphics then you wouldnt have been crazy about HD as much as you are) 

So, why on earth would the better and more powerful and advanced platform, with the ability to maximize each and every one of its parts giving you ultimate performance on every aspect (graphics, loading times, better sound, etc..), is dying while the average consoles that only gets new parts once every 5-10 years are whats considered the FUTURE of the technology ? 

Forget the platform you own. think of it as a non-gamer.. it's fucking weird !  this has never happened before.. better products were always the hot stuff since ever and in every field.. 

Is the PC THAT superior that it's exceeded the masses' capability to keep up with it, frustrated everyone and made them accept the 2nd-best product and live in denial telling themselves its the future ? 

This is no troll post, and as i said im not biased, im actually asking a legit question..  the technical beast is being shat on while the standard/average machine is being praised?  maybe one of you can explain that to me ? :) 
I mean, if GAMING which is one of the most fancy and technologic and superb hobbies on earth is all about the 2nd place product and not 1st, what the fuck man? i dont get it. 

I dont expect anyone to tell me that the consoles are the better machines, since they get updated every few years while newer computer parts are created by the minute.. thats just retarded :P

#2 Posted by Fripplebubby (1028 posts) -

Well for one, I can get an Xbox for $200, but a good PC goes from $750-$1500. 

Secondly, idiots can work an Xbox (no offense), while it takes a little know-how to do PC gaming. 

#3 Posted by Coombs (3449 posts) -
#4 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

consoles are getting popular instead of PC is because it is just becoming more popular. most people that have a PC that can't  play games think that computer that can play game are expensive. they always say that they have to upgrade it every month and so on. they think that it is expensive to maintain. 

consoles they are easier because it's just a couple of wires to be plugged in and it's away they go. i don't know why people think that consoles are better. Developers are starting to not care about PC so they give crappy ports. PC is better because there are mods that can be used. it is one thing that i enjoy about PC. there are different types of mods that a person can get. there is dedicated servers. you can pick what  server you want to join. usually when the game is popular there are going to be 1,000 of servers. plus PC have more players per server.

#5 Posted by Malakhii (1443 posts) -

Consoles are more heavily advertised, and almost idiot proof. If your friends are all on a console your gonna buy that. Some great games are only available on consoles. There are alot of reasons man, not that the PC is a fucking uber messiah of gaming that only gods can figure out. It's just not the thing thrown in your face for gaming. 

#6 Posted by audiosnag (1604 posts) -

It's a combination of things, the average consumer doesn't know or want to deal with the stuff that comes with PC gaming, they want to put the game in and play it immediately. (or in the case of the PS3, wait half an hour then play)
Also the appeal of sitting on a couch in front of your big screen HD TV is greater then sitting at a desk with a small monitor to most people. 
PC gaming isn't dead by any means just ask Starcraft 2 or WoW players. But the console is definitely the mass market product and it's always gonna outsell the PC.

#7 Posted by salad10203 (654 posts) -

Uh i prefer pc gaming because it is cheaper (how much did your controller cost?) and i hate loading times.  Also, I am a graphics whore, and even ports look better on pc.

#8 Posted by blazerx9x (648 posts) -
@iam3green said:
" consoles are getting popular instead of PC is because it is just becoming more popular. most people that have a PC that can't  play games think that computer that can play game are expensive. they always say that they have to upgrade it every month and so on. they think that it is expensive to maintain.   consoles they are easier because it's just a couple of wires to be plugged in and it's away they go. i don't know why people think that consoles are better. Developers are starting to not care about PC so they give crappy ports. PC is better because there are mods that can be used. it is one thing that i enjoy about PC. there are different types of mods that a person can get. there is dedicated servers. you can pick what  server you want to join. usually when the game is popular there are going to be 1,000 of servers. plus PC have more players per server. "
dude, that`s an epic little quote you wrote, I try to get into PC gaming, but it gets hard, I tried the mafia II demo on my laptop, would run very slowly, I think SC 2 would work, but i`m not too sure, either way, I don`t think it`s easy to be a PC gamer with the prices and crap, however, I heard that using the MAC is easier and faster.
#9 Edited by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

A) The PC is not dying. PC gaming is not dying. You sure as hell will probably be needing to be connected to the internet to play most games in the future, and that's a pain in the ass, but you can thank the pirates out there for that.

B) $$$. It's about money. The average person doesn't know how to build a PC, and so an already expensive process becomes even more expensive buying underpowered crap from major PC makers or overpriced crap from boutique dealers. I'd mention that there's a whole crap-ton more you can do with a mighty PC than just play games, but then not everyone needs all that computing power. 

I was a strictly PC gamer since I owned my first PC. I branched off back into consoles with a Gamecube, followed by a 360 and Wii. Neither of those two consoles have very many of the types of games I like to play (or their control schemes suffer in the transition), so I've found myself going back to being a PC gamer as of late.

#10 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -
@Fripplebubby said:
" Well for one, I can get an Xbox for $200, but a good PC goes from $750-$1500.  Secondly, idiots can work an Xbox (no offense), while it takes a little know-how to do PC gaming.  "
You mean following a step by step guide through the installation process?
#11 Edited by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

People saying that PC gaming is stuck in the past and dying are the ones stuck in the past. 

True, PC gaming has some problems (low amount of exclusives, but those exclusives are always very good. Blizzard, VALVe ETC [before you mention valve has console games, the amount of support they give to PC puts it in a realm of its own, especially with mods]), but it's actually doing very, very well. What your NDP numbers from Gamespot don't show is digital sales. And an estimated 60%~ of all PC game sales are now digital.  

If you think it's dying, get a credit card and load up steam.  

PC gaming isn't dying. It's evolving.     

#12 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -
@AndrewB said:
" A) The PC is not dying. PC gaming is not dying.  "
Its not dying...BECAUSE ITS ALREADY DEAD!!!!
#13 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -

People value different things.  I do a fair amount of both PC and console gaming.  Take the upcoming Dead Rising 2.  Well first off I bought Case Zero, because that's awesome.  So now I have that tiny bit of progress on the 360.  Next, achievements...  The PC version costs less but a few weeks ago newegg had a sale for the console version and I have it preordered at a low price.  Since I played Case 0 I know the 360 version will at least be playable, while on PC the requirements is supposedly a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz while I have a 3.0GHz...

Basically, the 360 version is the safe buy.  I want to buy it day one, there probably isn't going to be any demo.

You'd be surprised how often it breaks down like this for me.  That's just my story anyways.  Just been ass bitten too many times in PC gaming.  Something like Dragon Age or Portal 2 is the safe buy on PC, most everything else... not so much.

#14 Posted by MackGyver (584 posts) -

I think the main reason is that consoles are just a hell of a lot easier to use for their purpose. Computers are more versatile, being used for many other things like surfing the net etc. Although consoles are also incorporating several aspects from computers. People who just want to play games don't have to worry about keeping up with the latest graphics cards, CPUs, motherboards, sound cards, power supplies and so on. Therefore, want just games? Get consoles. Want versatility? Get a PC.

#15 Posted by EVO (3932 posts) -

Just because PCs are upgradeable and whatnot, doesn't make them superior. Consoles will always be more accessible and local multiplayer friendly, both of which are far more important to the masses. The Wii is proof of this.

#16 Posted by supermike6 (3611 posts) -

A bigger TV, a comfy couch, and I just like my controller more than a mouse and keyboard. Those are my reasons.

#17 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3489 posts) -

Steam. That's enough for any man. 

#18 Posted by Brendan (8026 posts) -

The advancement of technology doesn't lead down one path.  PC games having the capacity to be more powerful is not necessarily make it better.  If that was the case, than Apple computers wouldn't be selling so well.  A lot of the time, the advancement of technology is getting complex electronics to be more accessible and easier to afford for the masses.  In the case of Apple, it is easier to use, even though PC's have more power for less money.  When it comes to console games, the affordability offered by them to everyday people, with technology that keeps pace enough with computers to not look like absolute garbage, is another advancement of technology.  Making decent products at affordable and predictable prices.  That's why the console has gained popularity. 
#19 Posted by MrCandleguy (822 posts) -

Its cause consoles are easy to get a hold of for most people and can play all the games that come out for it in the next 5 or so years with having to upgrade. I own both a PC and xbox but my PC with never replace my xbox, I love sitting on the couch and playing Halo with my mates.

#20 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
Is the PC THAT superior that it's exceeded the masses' capability to keep up with it, frustrated everyone and made them accept the 2nd-best product and live in denial telling themselves its the future ?
Being theoretically superior is basically worth nothing in the mass market, what matters is that things are practically superior. A proper gaming PC might totally blow a console out of the water with Full-HD and anti-aliasing and  anisotropic filtereing, while console goof around in the sub-720p range with no anti-aliasing. But most people don't have a proper gaming PC. I for example have a 3.5 year old PC, costs 777EUR back when it was new, so not the top notch gaming PC, but what I would call good average computer. Today I can play a modern game in lowest res with lowest details and if I am lucky I might get barely playable framerates, while a cheaper Xbox360 will still work perfectly fine (unless it red ringed...) with modern games.

Could I upgrade my PC? Sure, but that opens up just another can of worms. Which graphic card? Can my power supply handle that? Is there enough cooling? How large is the card, will have I to throw away the PCI-e card right next to it (current gfx card needs one slot, all modern stuff needs two)? How much will the total upgrade cost? Etc. And well, with PC exclusives on the decline and no particular love for Valve or Blizzard so far I just haven't bothered to upgrade. Leaving me with basically no PC that is capable of running games.  And then there is of course the whole DRM and patching mess. 

People simply want stuff that works and the PC as a gaming platform just doesn't, to much maintenance and upgrading, which is why consoles are winning. On top of that it is of course a feedback loop, because the PC gaming isn't doing to well, PC exclusives are dieing off and with no exclusives, why should I even bother with PC gaming in the first place?

All that said, I still buy quite a few PC games, but mostly just old stuff, that will work on my machine, is cheap and PC exclusive. For my modern gaming fix I use a console.
#21 Posted by NoXious (1353 posts) -

I personally enjoy the PC control scheme so I could care less.
Listening to my parent it seems like I was born with a keyboard stuck to my hands.

#22 Posted by Fallen189 (5050 posts) -

Because consoles are idiot proof. You put in a disc, and it goes. 

PC requires more finesse and tinkering, but will always have the capability to be and look better. People will always use the "Couch" argument, which isnt something that cant be fixed with a cable. PC just does more for me, and offers greater freedom, whereas consoles are very limited.

#23 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

consoles are plug and play...PCs are not

#24 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Most multiconsole games have a PC version and its the optimal version. PC isn't fading. You're rationalizing because you don't really participte in PC gaming. This thread so far (page 1 at least) is just a bunch of console people guessing how PC gaming works and being pretty wrong. Bottom line is you're playing the inferior version of many games and if you have to lie to yourself to deal with that, that your "HD" console is to PC what the Wii is to your HD console,  then that's fine. Just don't look for anyone who knows what they're talking about to agree with you.

#25 Posted by shiptoncraig (149 posts) -

I don't do PC gaming because of the hassle in getting games to work properly with my hardware.  Another reason I prefer consoles is that they offer a bigger variety of games.  It's hard not to look at the PC and just think of FPS and RTS games.

#26 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
Plug and Play + game selection + interface. Also this:

I don't mind people using PCs for gaming, it just holds absolutely no attractiveness for me personally anymore. I don't want to be responsible for graphics, performance, parts and accessability. PC gaming for me would mean spending a lot of time and effort into getting it as close to the console gaming experience as possible, and almost all PC exclusives don't interest me at all - so why bother.
#27 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:

"People will always use the "Couch" argument, which isnt something that cant be fixed with a cable. PC just does more for me, and offers greater freedom, whereas consoles are very limited. "

You don't just need a cable. First of all you need a second computer, as most people don't have their desktop computer in close range to the TV. Then you need a  couch-compatible  controller, which mouse/keyboard are not. Then you need games that actually support a  couch-compatible controller, which most do not. And then it would of course be helpful if the stupid OS would be couch-compatible enough to allow you to update drivers and such without being a major annoyance. I don't want to navigate webpages and search for drivers when sitting on my couch. 

Now given, Microsoft has tried a bit into that direction every now and then and today there are a few games that work out of the box with an Xbox360 controller, but many will either not fully work (still need keyboard for menu and stuff) or not work at all in any usable fashion. And messing around with joy2key or Xpadder for an hour before you can even start to play is neither fun nor does it necessarily lead to usable results.

That said, I did play a few games from my PC on my TV and when it all comes together it can work out great, but most of the time it simply does not and just isn't worth the hassle.
#28 Posted by AlisterCat (5712 posts) -
@supermike6 said:
" A bigger TV, a comfy couch, and I just like my controller more than a mouse and keyboard. Those are my reasons. "
I'm lucky to have all those things with my PC, I guess. :)
#29 Posted by zombie2011 (5036 posts) -

PC's suck Consoles are awesome. Whats not to get? 

jk

#30 Posted by Fripplebubby (1028 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops said:
" @Fripplebubby said:
" Well for one, I can get an Xbox for $200, but a good PC goes from $750-$1500.  Secondly, idiots can work an Xbox (no offense), while it takes a little know-how to do PC gaming.  "
You mean following a step by step guide through the installation process? "
I mean understanding what you need to run games. What's the clock speed on my processor? Does my GPU have enough VRAM? Do I need to upgrade my memory? How much Hard Drive Space will this take up?  Etc.
#31 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" Most multiconsole games have a PC version and its the optimal version.  PC isn't fading. You're rationalizing because you don't really participte in PC gaming. This thread so far (page 1 at least) is just a bunch of console people guessing how PC gaming works and being pretty wrong.
If by "optimal" you mean "often late and often buggy", sure. For some people it is simply more important that stuff works, not that they can max out their AA settings and beside. And whats the point of "PC gaming" when all you end up playing is console ports anyway? For me PC gaming used to be about flightsims, space sims, adventure games and all those other genres that I could never get on console. But today those genres are either dead, moved to console or gotten to hardcore for me to keep up (I am looking at iRacing, rFactor and all those other serious sims). What is left for me of PC gaming is emulation and old stuff. Wanna play and old Dos game? You better have a PC with Dosbox or whatever, as your Xbox360 isn't going to let those games play anytime soon. PC wins in terms of openness by a mile, consoles do not even get close, even so XNA is at least an honest attempt. But as far as mainstream gaming is concerned, sure you still have Valve and Blizzard, but what else is left that isn't console-first, PC-later? Even the old PC focused like Epic Games or id Software are moving heavily into console land, as that is where the money is these days.
#32 Posted by Trifork89 (73 posts) -
@Meowayne said:
"Plug and Play + game selection + interface. Also this:

I don't mind people using PCs for gaming, it just holds absolutely no attractiveness for me personally anymore. I don't want to be responsible for graphics, performance, parts and accessability. PC gaming for me would mean spending a lot of time and effort into getting it as close to the console gaming experience as possible, and almost all PC exclusives don't interest me at all - so why bother. "

This is exactly my position on the whole PC gaming argument, it's awesome as hell if you can get the PC to work at full capacity and i've tried playing my room mates gaming PC for shooters and other stuff and the experience was just amazing.. But in my opinion for reasons other people have already mentioned the means just don't justify the end, as there is a ton of work to be done and variables to consider just to play a game. I'm sorry i'm just not smart enough nor patient enough to jump through hoops like that when all i want to do is play a game. 

Also, That picture is great lol.. made me smile.
#33 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

In reductive economic terms, the cheapest commodities are the ones used by the greatest number of people. And also, this is an obvious point, you can't get 2nd-hand sales from PC. Less incentive for consumers and retailers spells doom.

#34 Edited by Mikemcn (7011 posts) -
@Fripplebubby said:

" @sodiumCyclops said:

" @Fripplebubby said:

You mean following a step by step guide through the installation process? "
I mean understanding what you need to run games. What's the clock speed on my processor? Does my GPU have enough VRAM? Do I need to upgrade my memory? How much Hard Drive Space will this take up?  Etc. "
Vram and the number of cores on your processor are the only two stats you need to know.As long as you have hardware thats no more than 2 years old, any game WILL run. If it doesn't its because you paid for hardware 2 years ago that was already out of date. Memory isnt an issue because most laptops comes with 4 or more gigs nowdays. And hard drive space is no different than buying an Live Arcade game. 

I think people just assume PC games are really hard to play. Once you try it its pretty damn easy. The whole "PC games require expertise argument" just assumes every console gamer on Earth could never get out of kindergarten. Price is the issue, not accessibility. Have you heard of steam? You buy a game than hit, install, and it installs itself automatically. You don;t even have to select what folder you want it to go into.
#35 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I feel like the PC market is fairly closed to the average consumer. If they have the money, they can just pick up a laptop or desktop from Dell, HP, etc.. to save money, they could build one which I feel would be a bit intimidating to someone not into computers. Consoles are just much more accessible. I personally find PC games superior for graphics, mods, and controls. However, I can't afford a good computer to benefit from the graphics. So I stick with consoles.

#36 Posted by valrog (3671 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" personally i dont give a fuck about graphics "
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" the whole 'graphics dont matter' attitude people are having is clearly because they cant afford a PC video card. "
#37 Posted by BraveFart (298 posts) -

I just love it when people try to sound sofisticated. ^^

#38 Posted by carlthenimrod (1597 posts) -

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

"So, why on earth would the better and more powerful and advanced platform, with the ability to maximize each and every one of its parts giving you ultimate performance on every aspect (graphics, loading times, better sound, etc..), is dying while the average consoles that only gets new parts once every 5-10 years are whats considered the FUTURE of the technology ? 

Forget the platform you own. think of it as a non-gamer.. it's fucking weird !  this has never happened before.. better products were always the hot stuff since ever and in every field.."

It happens all the time. The original Xbox was technically superior to the PS2 and it failed miserably. The PSP was destroyed by the DS. etc.

Superior hardware is no match for superior software when it comes to video games. Sure, graphics matter, but they don't matter that much.
#39 Posted by Faint (833 posts) -

i used to play consoles and handhelds in my younger years. ive slowly transitioned to being (for the majority) a pc user, so i guess im not following the apparent trend

#40 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

People have said the PC is dying since the release of the N64 or something, yet it still keeps going. PC won't ever 'die' because it will keep on evolving. It's more realistic to say 'the Wii is dying' or 'the 360 is dying' because eventualy they will be effectively dead as no one will be playing them becuase they'll be playing the new consoles until they die too. Consoles are stagnent while the PC is modular and keeps evolving.

#41 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

It's cheaper for me to play on a console.

S'about it, honestly. I mean, other than the exclusive games on the consoles.

#42 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -

Money.

#43 Posted by xyzygy (10066 posts) -

I still prefer consoles because I know I won't have to worry about doing any upgrading and I won't have to worry if my PC can handle a certain game.

#44 Posted by dudeglove (8157 posts) -

It's an accessibility issue. When joe public first timer wants to play games, which of the two things below do you think he will naturally gravitate towards?

or

#45 Posted by tranquilchaos (575 posts) -

People vote with their dollars. What do you suppose the sales figures generated on the PC side are in comparison to the console counterparts? Anyone who says PC gaming is not fading is simply ignoring the situation. The sales tell the tale.

#46 Edited by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Contrary to popular belief of our nerdy minds, most people do not know much about computer parts and upgrades. They are overwhelmed with the options of choices to pick, how to put everything together, and the hefty price tag of at least +$700 for a decent gaming rig. Chances are that even if they had a good functional computer, they would need to spend $200-300 for a graphics card and possibly more for a new motherboard and CPU. 

Consoles on the other hand are different. They're relatively easy to plug in, most people have a TV than a computer around the world and they're cheaper. PC gamers may have a higher entry level, but they "save more money" from Steam (quoted because we actually spend more money in the long run despite the awesome sales). Consoles are pretty much the opposite, low entry fee, but with higher priced launch titles. Also most games are optimized for consoles now, but new PC games can be known to be great juice sucking monsters with few exceptions (Blizzard and Valve games).

I still use both though.

#47 Posted by Sin4profit (2992 posts) -

The super power of the PC doen't matter for developers as they don't want to alienate lower end PC users. So you just end up with a game optimized down closer to the console's level anyway.
On consoles developers know their max power, they know their limits so it's easier to develop for.
PCs are too unlimited for the gaming market..which means either people will mod the game to no end eliminating need to buy more games or people will pirate the game.

PCs are great for people to develop the future of gaming's many parts, be it software engines, third party tools to help development, hardware showcasing, and all that, but it doesn't commercially make any sense to utilize the full power of the PC just for the few people who put that much power into their PC case.

#48 Posted by ProfessorEss (7469 posts) -

I've moved over to doing most of my gaming on the consoles a few years back, the biggest reasons were:

- I grew sick of researching, shopping, upgrading and tweaking every time a new game I wanted came out.
- I work from home on a PC all day and I've found it increasingly hard to relax in front of a PC - it feels like I'm "at work".
- I'm tired of sinking money into components to keep my PC technologically up-to-date.
- And, most of my favourite videogame genres lend themselves to the console experience very well.

Some people will say consoles are for idiots, who just want to "pop in a disc and play". 
I say you don't have to be an idiot to want the quickest, easiest route between you and videogame playing.

#49 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@valrog said:
" @Ahmad_Metallic said:
" personally i dont give a fuck about graphics "
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" the whole 'graphics dont matter' attitude people are having is clearly because they cant afford a PC video card. "
... "
thats called being observant.. i dont have to enjoy graphics myself to notice that they matter to other people
#50 Edited by Brodehouse (10107 posts) -

I got tired of dicking around with drivers and spending thousands of dollars to have games that don't run well because bullshit.dll needs to be hex edited with my video card argleblargle.

I like popping a disc in and playing.  If it needs to patch, I don't want to do anything more complicated than hit A and wait twenty seconds.  If I have to fight a lion and sacrifice a goat before I can get a game to run at a decent framerate, then I wonder what I'm paying for in the first place.  It certainly doesn't sound like a leisure activity.