The wider world thinks that gamers lack maturity.......

• 53 results
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Edited By oldschool

....... and this blog isn't about to disprove that.  :-) 

Consoles are toys, it matters not which one you talk about.  Toys are about having fun and computer games are fun.  So why shouldn't we have fun?  Why shouldn't we laugh at the most ridiculous thing?  Why shouldn't we take every opportunity to make it even more fun, no matter how puerile or juvenile it may appear? 

So to do my part, and being reminded off the dumb stuff I am inclined to do by a thread on Animal Crossing, I present to you what makes me giggle, like a kid many years below my advanced years.  Animal Crossing Wii gives you the opportunity to take in-game shots and store them on an SD card, and residents in the town are always asking you to change the expressions they use.  Within the limitations of the language filter (censor - creative use of vowels helps), I have tried to make my residents the silliest potty mouths I could.  These are some of them: 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

So, there you are.  My lack of maturity for all to see.  We have competitions to see who can come up with the most ridiculous dialogue in our games. 

I want all gamers to repeat after me - 

I may grow old, but I will never grow up.

Are you with me?
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By oldschool

....... and this blog isn't about to disprove that.  :-) 

Consoles are toys, it matters not which one you talk about.  Toys are about having fun and computer games are fun.  So why shouldn't we have fun?  Why shouldn't we laugh at the most ridiculous thing?  Why shouldn't we take every opportunity to make it even more fun, no matter how puerile or juvenile it may appear? 

So to do my part, and being reminded off the dumb stuff I am inclined to do by a thread on Animal Crossing, I present to you what makes me giggle, like a kid many years below my advanced years.  Animal Crossing Wii gives you the opportunity to take in-game shots and store them on an SD card, and residents in the town are always asking you to change the expressions they use.  Within the limitations of the language filter (censor - creative use of vowels helps), I have tried to make my residents the silliest potty mouths I could.  These are some of them: 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

So, there you are.  My lack of maturity for all to see.  We have competitions to see who can come up with the most ridiculous dialogue in our games. 

I want all gamers to repeat after me - 

I may grow old, but I will never grow up.

Are you with me?
CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CaptainObvious

I may grow old, but I will never grow up! 

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By rallier

Well of course it sparkles.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By insouciant

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By insouciant

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Bones8677

For some reason I temporarily wanted to replay Pokemon: Pearl, so when I named my characters and my friend. I named my friend "Pussy." So when, at one point, his mother comes into my house and says, "Has anyone seen my little Pussy?" 

I busted out laughing so hard I thought my heart might leap out. That was so worth it.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By insouciant

Flashing my neighbor
Flashing my neighbor
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
@Rallier said:
" Well of course it sparkles. "
Only if you apply the correct polish  :-)
insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By insouciant

Flashing Tom Nook
Flashing Tom Nook
insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By insouciant

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
@insouciant:  
  Clearly you are just a sexual deviant  :/   

A.D.I.D.A.S. - All Day I Dream About Sex.

insouciant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By insouciant

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArchScabby

I may never grow old.... I have a heart condition.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By danielkempster

Reminds me of the times I used to play Pokemon Blue, and name my rival "Hump me", just so I could see him burst into Professor Oak's lab and the dialogue box declare: "Hump me: Gramps! I'm fed up with waiting!"

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
@ArchScabby said:
" I may never grow old.... I have a heart condition. "
Don't bring us down man.  xD 

I don't know if you are serious (it's the internet, how do we ever know), but I do have a minor heart issue.  Under certain stress load conditions (mountain climbing is a good one that is a problem for me now), my blood pressure drops to about 25% normal, my heart races wildly and I just lay on the ground, grey, massive sweat, deaf and blind.  It takes about 20 minutes to get back to normal.  Happened to me 10 metres up a tree once.  That wasn't fun - climbed half way down quickly and fell the rest.  I will still grow old(er) dammit.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
@dankempster said:
" Reminds me of the times I used to play Pokemon Blue, and name my rival "Hump me", just so I could see him burst into Professor Oak's lab and the dialogue box declare: "Hump me: Gramps! I'm fed up with waiting!" "
Man, I chuckled.  I used to look out for opportunities to do the same thing whenever I could.   It is so much fun not acting your age.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By penguindust

Bravo! The only thing that irritates me more than self righteous game critics complaining about a lack of maturity in games and by gamers is the exceedingly worn out "games are (are not) art" debate.  I've ceased caring about what anyone thinks of my hobbies or what I find entertaining.  If I am stuck in junior high forever, then so be it as long as I am having fun.  

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
@PenguinDust said:
" Bravo! The only thing that irritates me more than self righteous game critics complaining about a lack of maturity in games and by gamers is the exceedingly worn out "games are (are not) art" debate.  I've ceased caring about what anyone thinks of my hobbies or what I find entertaining.  If I am stuck in junior high forever, then so be it as long as I am having fun.   "
Yeah, but Junior High has Junior High school girls and that surely is the best place to live forever in?  Life is a John Hughes film - enjoy it.
eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By eric_buck

Agreed. Being mature is LAME. Lol my anus sparkles.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster

as adults we're expected to show maturity when at work etc. whenever i play a game it's like a temporary getaway away from the BS. my dad use to give me shit about playing video games because they weren't productive and i'm sure many people feel that way. if people go out of their way to call gamers immature chances are immature themselves imo

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldschool
@Axxol said:
" as adults we're expected to show maturity when at work etc. whenever i play a game it's like a temporary getaway away from the BS. my dad use to give me shit about playing video games because they weren't productive and i'm sure many people feel that way. if people go out of their way to call gamers immature chances are immature themselves imo "
I always defended my maturity and now I just don't care.  I used to argue that I was mature because I was married, supporting a family of a partner and 2 kids, I paid my bills, I went to work every day, I stayed clear of illegal activities - what more would you want?  However, when I wasn't doing all that "mature" stuff, I wanted to have fun and I damn well did. 

What is mature about all the hobbies other adults around you have?  Sport - dressing up as a fan?  Car racing - watching a car go round and round?  You can say the same about everything.  Fun is fun and just because I don't "get" their fun, doesn't mean I dump on it or put it down.  Life is too short.
bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By bacongames

Well is it really mature if you actively avoid those are are intelligent enough to use humor like that in good fun?  Personally i don't see an adult not doing this over a child.  It's overly pompous douchebags and baguettes that stick their nose in the air and avoid any kind of behavior like this that call us out on this kind of stuff and it makes me sick.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Whisperkill

I think the wider world lacks maturity

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By eroticfishcake

I always knew you farted glitter oldschool. All gamers lack maturity of course, it's just a matter of how much we lack it.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BraveToaster
@oldschool said:
I always defended my maturity and now I just don't care.  I used to argue that I was mature because I was married, supporting a family of a partner and 2 kids, I paid my bills, I went to work every day, I stayed clear of illegal activities - what more would you want?  However, when I wasn't doing all that "mature" stuff, I wanted to have fun and I damn well did.  What is mature about all the hobbies other adults around you have?  Sport - dressing up as a fan?  Car racing - watching a car go round and round?  You can say the same about everything.  Fun is fun and just because I don't "get" their fun, doesn't mean I dump on it or put it down.  Life is too short. "
i like the way you put that
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By Kazona

I must not have  a sense of humor because I found these pictures simply dumb.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#27  Edited By Vinchenzo

If anybody thinks gamers lack maturity, then they haven't seen politics.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By Red

I like to think of games as an entertainment medium, like movies or music, and I hope that one day the rest of the world will think of it like that too. However, this thread is getting in the way of that. 

But the "My anus sparkles" was pretty dang funny.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oldschool
@Kazona said:
" I must not have  a sense of humor because I found these pictures simply dumb. "
Nah, it just means you don't SHARE my sense of humour.  Nothing wrong with that. 

@eroticfishcake said:
" I always knew you farted glitter oldschool. All gamers lack maturity of course, it's just a matter of how much we lack it. "
Now, if only I can improve the smell to match the visuals  :-)
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By Claude

From all the years I've played video games, I've never played word games in video games. I have stripped a few people naked and left them in some terrifying poses. Thanks ragdoll physics.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By demontium

"...you are always full of juice, spermcicle" 

comedy > maturity.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldschool
@Claude said:
" From all the years I've played video games, I've never played word games in video games. I have stripped a few people naked and left them in some terrifying poses. Thanks ragdoll physics. "
I always knew you were a pervert  :-)
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By natetodamax

Well done.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MarkWahlberg
Proof that we, as a collective subset of the populace, have an unnatural and hilarious obsession with penises.
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ragdrazi

I may grow up. But I'll never grow old. 

... ladies.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By oldschool
@Red said:
" I like to think of games as an entertainment medium, like movies or music, and I hope that one day the rest of the world will think of it like that too. However, this thread is getting in the way of that.     But the "My anus sparkles" was pretty dang funny. "
I am not about changing the world, but embracing it.  I don't know you would want games to be taken seriously like movies or music. 

Music:  For every Katie Perry there is a NIN.  For every Akon there is a Muse. 
Movies:  For every Dumb & Dumber, there is a The Godfather.  For every Ace Ventura, there is a 2001 A Space Odyssey. 

My point is, there are dumb games, there are intellectual(ish) games, there are fun games.  It really isn't that different to movies and music and the opinion of all three is going to vary anyway - wildly across society.  The broader society are just largely ignorant of the fun available and base their comments on that ignorance.  Why else do we constantly have some call for banning of movies, television shows, albums and games - by those who have never even seen them let alone play them.  Their loss.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Whisperkill
@oldschool: I'd agree. I just don't think there are enough of those Godfathers and Muses in games. For every Braid and SotC there are hundreds of God of Wars or other, nonintellectual games. The disparity between the two groups is larger than it should be
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By oldschool
@Whisperkill said:
" @oldschool: I'd agree. I just don't think there are enough of those Godfathers and Muses in games. For every Braid and SotC there are hundreds of God of Wars or other, nonintellectual games. The disparity between the two groups is larger than it should be "
I would agree with you as well, the ratio is wide and intellectual stuff is hard to come by, but popular music is mostly garbage, you have to dig deep to find the better stuff and movies does vary a bit from year to year.  I still enjoy juvenile films (gross comedy stuff that goes way back to Animal House) and even juvenile music (most of Emimem when he was good) and I wouldn't want them to go away.  Bad games, films and music on the other hand - I can avoid.  It just becomes forced and pretentious if the market tries to be "mature".  Most of the time it would just end up preachy.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By TheHT

Suddenly Animal Crossing looks a lot more interesting.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By oldschool
@TheHT said:
" Suddenly Animal Crossing looks a lot more interesting. "
It is only as interesting as your sense of humour will make it  :/
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Red
@oldschool said:
" @Red said:
" I like to think of games as an entertainment medium, like movies or music, and I hope that one day the rest of the world will think of it like that too. However, this thread is getting in the way of that.     But the "My anus sparkles" was pretty dang funny. "
I am not about changing the world, but embracing it.  I don't know you would want games to be taken seriously like movies or music.  Music:  For every Katie Perry there is a NIN.  For every Akon there is a Muse. Movies:  For every Dumb & Dumber, there is a The Godfather.  For every Ace Ventura, there is a 2001 A Space Odyssey.  My point is, there are dumb games, there are intellectual(ish) games, there are fun games.  It really isn't that different to movies and music and the opinion of all three is going to vary anyway - wildly across society.  The broader society are just largely ignorant of the fun available and base their comments on that ignorance.  Why else do we constantly have some call for banning of movies, television shows, albums and games - by those who have never even seen them let alone play them.  Their loss. "
The belief that games are toys and are only meant to be fun is preventing video games from being seen as a legitimate art form.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By oldschool
@Red said:
" @oldschool said:
" @Red said:
I am not about changing the world, but embracing it.  I don't know you would want games to be taken seriously like movies or music.  Music:  For every Katie Perry there is a NIN.  For every Akon there is a Muse. Movies:  For every Dumb & Dumber, there is a The Godfather.  For every Ace Ventura, there is a 2001 A Space Odyssey.  My point is, there are dumb games, there are intellectual(ish) games, there are fun games.  It really isn't that different to movies and music and the opinion of all three is going to vary anyway - wildly across society.  The broader society are just largely ignorant of the fun available and base their comments on that ignorance.  Why else do we constantly have some call for banning of movies, television shows, albums and games - by those who have never even seen them let alone play them.  Their loss. "
The belief that games are toys and are only meant to be fun is preventing video games from being seen as a legitimate art form. "
Anything that entertains you is pretty much a toy.  A Jet Ski is a toy, as is your speed boat and anything else that is intended to entertain you.  Don't limit the definition of the word "toy".  Music isn't generally a legitimate art form - it is just to entertain.  Movies can be, but usually those which only 3 people go to see.  I can't remember a film I have ever seen I consider art - not 2001 A Space Odyssey, not Fantasia, not Allegro Non Troppo .... nothing.  Maybe films like Koyaanisqatsi?   

If a game maker tried to make an art game, no-one will likely care to play it and will be made on a very low budget.  A fusion of art, good story and an enjoyable, but commercial game is the best you will get.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Red
@oldschool: You keep referring to me as if I'm looking for some perfect art game. 

No, I just want to be able to tell my friends I like games without being looked at like a loser, which won't happen when it is viewed as a medium meant solely for fun and naming characters after genetalia by its biggest advocates.
DJL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DJL

In FF7, I named Aeris boobies,  and Cait Sith Pussy when I was younger. D:

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By oldschool
@Red said:
" @oldschool: You keep referring to me as if I'm looking for some perfect art game.  No, I just want to be able to tell my friends I like games without being looked at like a loser, which won't happen when it is viewed as a medium meant solely for fun and naming characters after genetalia by its biggest advocates. "
Fair enough.  I don't feel like a loser when I tell them what I do, so it doesn't bother me.  I get worse looks when I tell them I watch anime (actually, they have no idea what I am talking about) and go to opera, ballet or symphony orchestra performances.  I say the games are fine, you need to get new friends  xD
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By armaan8014
@Bones8677 said:
" For some reason I temporarily wanted to replay Pokemon: Pearl, so when I named my characters and my friend. I named my friend "Pussy." So when, at one point, his mother comes into my house and says, "Has anyone seen my little Pussy?"   I busted out laughing so hard I thought my heart might leap out. That was so worth it. "
Haha.. Awesome.
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Not my kind of humor heh.  Maybe like 10 years ago...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48  Edited By jakob187

Someone said we lack maturity? 

Fuck that.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By oldschool
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By oldschool
@Rallier said:
" Well of course it sparkles. "
I am sure yours sparkles as well  :-) 

My kids have started their new Pokemon games and as usual, the rival is named Douche.  The apples do not fall far from the tree  :/