The Wii - it's becoming vastly underrated. (P. 1)

• 97 results
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

Edited By Arkthemaniac

Many people see broken promises in the Wii. When they were promised 1:1, they got waggle. When they were promised cutting edge, they got Gamecube+. When they were promised full online support, they got friend codes. People see the misstep after misstep on Nintendo's behalf, and they call the Wii "not a console", "a toy" or "a 250 dollar dust collector." Harsh words when spoken by some. I won't even try to deny that the current control system on Wii is more precise than a dual joystick pad, nor will I deny that the Wii's technical prowess is that of a gamecube with better lighting effects. I also won't deny that the online system on the Wii needs an overhaul. However, people's hate for the system may leave it as not only the most underrated console of the generation, but the most underrated console ever.

Now, after you start typing your hateful comments calling me a "stupid moron" . . . pause22, I see you there . . . hear me out.
    The Wii was meant to be a revolution. It was called the Revolution. Was it? Well, a year in, people said that it not only wasn't a revolution, but it was a massive step back for games. With waggle lacking the exacting response of a button-press, and the IR cursor's tendency to jump about unless you are of appropriate distance being less relative than the joystick, it was easy to see why. Games like Smash Bros. and Mario Kart ended up being easier with a joypad to most of us, which we all saw is counterintuitive to the concept of a motion controller, which was making it easier to play. When you add on the relentless assault of subpar party games, including Carnival Games, Game Party and the dreaded barrage of Ubisoft shovelware, some of which were selling damn well, while other, more original games such as Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros's Treasure were floundering on the sales boards, it's easy to see how the longtime gamer, the gaming enthusiast, the educated gamer, would be angry at the consumers of the Wii. It was ruining it for the good developers and the gamers who had followed the gaming world since they had to blow into the systems to get it to run a game, a game that they played with no joysticks.
    The gaming enthusiast looked at the "revolution" as a "clusterfuck" of "epic" "proportions." What they didn't see was that the revolution was underground. It was invisible, creeping up on us. Until now, that is.
    When you think of the standout games on the Xbox 360 or PS3, what do you think of? Well, on the 360, I think of games like Halo, Gears of War, Too Human, BWAHAHAHAHAHA . . . sorry, couldn't resist . . . Mass Effect, etc. On the PS3, I'd think of Uncharted, MGS4, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet. Notice something about those? Of all those games, only one isn't trying in some way to create a realistic vision of a world. By that, I mean all but LittleBigPlanet are keeping themselves more grounded in reality than fantasy. I mean, sorry to go back to a joke, but Too Human toom the world of Norse Mythology and made it into some kind of corporation! Of course, not all the games for the systems go for that, but most do, and almost all the notable ones do. The Wii? I think of Galaxy, Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes, de Blob, Zack and Wiki. Now, of those you have three that involve humans, and one that recreates them in a realistic manner, being Metroid Prime 3. Galaxy and Brawl are both much more focused on a cartoon-like element, but we should exclude those because they were already established. Of the three most notable titles that have made their full debut on Wii, one has humans, one has blobs, and one has animals that talk like humans. Even No More Heroes, which has humans, is so outrageously over the top that it can barely be called "grounded in reality."
    What am I getting at? It's simple; the Wii is not a competitor for the Xbox or the PS3. It is in a whole new league. Games on the HD consoles are considered fresh if they have crisper graphics. Look at Halo 3. It changed very little, but people played the shit out of it. Why? It looked nicer. I can't think of another reason. The Wii, or more specifically, the Wii in 2008, has proven itself to be about something different. Gone is the familiar. What we are stuck with is the visually radical, the aesthetically fresh. I don't even need to explain how important this game is to my argument. Also, have you noticed how the 360 and PS3 are referred to as the "HD consoles" much more than they are the "Traditional pad consoles"? It may be quicker, but there's something else to it.
    Visually, the Wii has refused the confines presented by the modern tech spec races, and has created some of the most aesthetically unique games of the generation.

That's all I can say for now. I'll talk more of my mind later.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Many people see broken promises in the Wii. When they were promised 1:1, they got waggle. When they were promised cutting edge, they got Gamecube+. When they were promised full online support, they got friend codes. People see the misstep after misstep on Nintendo's behalf, and they call the Wii "not a console", "a toy" or "a 250 dollar dust collector." Harsh words when spoken by some. I won't even try to deny that the current control system on Wii is more precise than a dual joystick pad, nor will I deny that the Wii's technical prowess is that of a gamecube with better lighting effects. I also won't deny that the online system on the Wii needs an overhaul. However, people's hate for the system may leave it as not only the most underrated console of the generation, but the most underrated console ever.

Now, after you start typing your hateful comments calling me a "stupid moron" . . . pause22, I see you there . . . hear me out.
    The Wii was meant to be a revolution. It was called the Revolution. Was it? Well, a year in, people said that it not only wasn't a revolution, but it was a massive step back for games. With waggle lacking the exacting response of a button-press, and the IR cursor's tendency to jump about unless you are of appropriate distance being less relative than the joystick, it was easy to see why. Games like Smash Bros. and Mario Kart ended up being easier with a joypad to most of us, which we all saw is counterintuitive to the concept of a motion controller, which was making it easier to play. When you add on the relentless assault of subpar party games, including Carnival Games, Game Party and the dreaded barrage of Ubisoft shovelware, some of which were selling damn well, while other, more original games such as Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros's Treasure were floundering on the sales boards, it's easy to see how the longtime gamer, the gaming enthusiast, the educated gamer, would be angry at the consumers of the Wii. It was ruining it for the good developers and the gamers who had followed the gaming world since they had to blow into the systems to get it to run a game, a game that they played with no joysticks.
    The gaming enthusiast looked at the "revolution" as a "clusterfuck" of "epic" "proportions." What they didn't see was that the revolution was underground. It was invisible, creeping up on us. Until now, that is.
    When you think of the standout games on the Xbox 360 or PS3, what do you think of? Well, on the 360, I think of games like Halo, Gears of War, Too Human, BWAHAHAHAHAHA . . . sorry, couldn't resist . . . Mass Effect, etc. On the PS3, I'd think of Uncharted, MGS4, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet. Notice something about those? Of all those games, only one isn't trying in some way to create a realistic vision of a world. By that, I mean all but LittleBigPlanet are keeping themselves more grounded in reality than fantasy. I mean, sorry to go back to a joke, but Too Human toom the world of Norse Mythology and made it into some kind of corporation! Of course, not all the games for the systems go for that, but most do, and almost all the notable ones do. The Wii? I think of Galaxy, Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes, de Blob, Zack and Wiki. Now, of those you have three that involve humans, and one that recreates them in a realistic manner, being Metroid Prime 3. Galaxy and Brawl are both much more focused on a cartoon-like element, but we should exclude those because they were already established. Of the three most notable titles that have made their full debut on Wii, one has humans, one has blobs, and one has animals that talk like humans. Even No More Heroes, which has humans, is so outrageously over the top that it can barely be called "grounded in reality."
    What am I getting at? It's simple; the Wii is not a competitor for the Xbox or the PS3. It is in a whole new league. Games on the HD consoles are considered fresh if they have crisper graphics. Look at Halo 3. It changed very little, but people played the shit out of it. Why? It looked nicer. I can't think of another reason. The Wii, or more specifically, the Wii in 2008, has proven itself to be about something different. Gone is the familiar. What we are stuck with is the visually radical, the aesthetically fresh. I don't even need to explain how important this game is to my argument. Also, have you noticed how the 360 and PS3 are referred to as the "HD consoles" much more than they are the "Traditional pad consoles"? It may be quicker, but there's something else to it.
    Visually, the Wii has refused the confines presented by the modern tech spec races, and has created some of the most aesthetically unique games of the generation.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#2  Edited By joey

The problem isn't the Wii, it's the people making games for the Wii.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

Wow, seriously?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool
joey said:
"The problem isn't the Wii, it's the people making games for the Wii."
QFT.
I have been preaching much the same thing all along.  You only have to look at the best games on the Wii to see what it can do is potentially able to do, then look at the games Ubisoft shovel on to it (and they are not the worst), to see where the problems are.

I agree that the Wii isn't a direct competitor and the best games will be designed from the ground up, for the Wii and Wii alone, not the PSP, not the PS2 and not 360 or PS3.  If they want to make a franchise game for the Wii that is designed for the PS3/360, they should make a separate story (prequel or side) that compliments the other game.  With as many Wii consoles out there as the PS3 and 360 combined, and many with 2 consoles, it would make business sense.  I for one would buy both games, instead of just one.  Only provision is that they make the Wii game a proper one, not a poor cousin.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I disagree. 
The Wii just isn't that good.  It's the console itself any the developers.  On the developers part, there just aren't enough good games.  I find myself searching for wii games, basically making excuses to buy them.  I wouldn't have bought MOH Heroes if it were on another console.  I continuosly find myself looking for games on the wii. With the 360 and even Ps3 I'm flooded by games.  I cannot keep up.  And if you're a wii only owner you might not understand what this means.  By this I mean there's like 4 games every month I want.  Obviously I cannot get them all, so I settle for the best of the best and most unique.  The best wii game is by far metroid prime 3 for the record. 

And as for the console itself, its weak.  Believe it or not, I like graphics.  I like seeing pretty things in my game.  There's a grand difference between technical beauty and pure aesthetic beauty.  The wii cannot deliver on either of these things.

And I find it funny you bashing Too Human because, to be honest, I'd much rather play that than most Wii games. 

And you're Halo 3 comparison is awful. There's tons of differences between it and Halo 2.  What else.  Halo 2 was the same as Halo 1? lulz.  It wasn't a complete revolution, but there's quite a few differences.  Obviously they don't throw the formula out, neither did mario, but it introduces and changes the game up and it's definately a sequel

Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

whatever, just PLEASE i dont want to have a system wars forum on here!!

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By clarke0

Just because they are doing something different doesn't mean it's a good thing for gaming. The only good I can see coming out of the Wii is that it opens up gaming to a new audience that has never previously been targeted. Hopefully this will help gaming become more socially accepted and more widespread. Still it doesn't help that if you are regular gamer you are essentially paying 250 for a paperweight until Nintendo releases the next Zelda or something.

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By ShadowKiller

I have to admit when I first got my Wii I thought it was the best thing ever. I played the shit out of it for about 3 months and then played a 360 at a friend's house and never went back. I stuck with Nintendo all the way but it saddens me that most games for the 360 and PS3 can't be played on the Wii.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jayge_

The idea that not attempting to be realistic is somehow innovative being placed in the midst of all the other reasons why the Wii is a step back to old times is hilarious. Besides the waggle, it's a console from 2000.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
Jayge said:
"The idea that not attempting to be realistic is somehow innovative being placed in the midst of all the other reasons why the Wii is a step back to old times is hilarious. Besides the waggle, it's a console from 2000."
That is such a nonsensical and stereotypical thing to say.  The Wii is almost twice the power of the Xbox.  How is that 2000?  
The Wii is at least trying to break new ground.  It is progressing where the PS3 and 360, as good as they are at what they do, are simply last gen, but better looking.  Not really earth shattering is it?  Not really progressing the market is it?  Nothing new is not necessarily a bad thing as there are good games to play, but pales into what Nintendo are doing, like it or not.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
oldschool said:
"Jayge said:
"The idea that not attempting to be realistic is somehow innovative being placed in the midst of all the other reasons why the Wii is a step back to old times is hilarious. Besides the waggle, it's a console from 2000."
That is such a nonsensical and stereotypical thing to say.  The Wii is almost twice the power of the Xbox.  How is that 2000?  
The Wii is at least trying to break new ground.  It is progressing where the PS3 and 360, as good as they are at what they do, are simply last gen, but better looking.  Not really earth shattering is it?  Not really progressing the market is it?  Nothing new is not necessarily a bad thing as there are good games to play, but pales into what Nintendo are doing, like it or not.
"
Take any game you want from the Wii and remove the motion controls. Not so innovative now, is it? Look at stuff like The Conduit. That is garbage but because I have to move my hands while i'm playing, it's the most groundbreaking thing on the market? Give me a game that's actually good over something which tries too hard to break the mold.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool

Dude, the controls ARE the innovation.

If someone tries too hard by over using or improperly using the control system, that is hardly the fault of Nintendo or the Wii.  They can still use 'normal' controls if it works better.

I find the controls incredibly intuitive.  I now find the 'normal' controller complicated and archaic.  Everyone to their own though.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Dalai
HandsomeDead said:
"oldschool said:
"Jayge said:
"
Take any game you want from the Wii and remove the motion controls. Not so innovative now, is it? Look at stuff like The Conduit. That is garbage but because I have to move my hands while i'm playing, it's the most groundbreaking thing on the market? Give me a game that's actually fun over something which tries too hard to break the mold."
Remove the motion controls on the Wii and beef up the graphics and we get another 360/PS3 clone, it would fail like the Gamecube.  Nintendo had to mix things up and try something unique, hence the motion controls and the casual games we love to hate.  Like it or not, motion controls are a big deal and I have a feeling Sony and Microsoft are going to rely heavily on motion controls next generation.

And, what innovations have the 360 and PS3 made this generation?  Better graphics never count as real innovation... that's just a normal progression.  The controls of these consoles are last gen, and perhaps even older.  The industry can't survive by doing the same old thing, but shinier.  Online play might count, but then again, the PC did it before anybody.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jayge_
oldschool said:
"Jayge said:
"
Seemingly nonsensical if you have no idea what you're talking about. As HandsomeDead (Oh god, I'm agreeing with him?) said, take any Wii game's waggle away and you have a game from at least one generation if not two generations past. Where is the Wii progressing at all where the 360 or PS3 aren't? With point-and-waggle controls? That's not innovation, that's a gimmick.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool

Define gimmick?  A trick or device intended to attract attention, business or publicity.

That pretty much sums up everything ever made for entertainment doesn't it?  What changes a device from gimmick to innovation, is when it works.  Ultimately, it works, so logically, innovation.  You can play with words if you like, but it hardly makes you right.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_
oldschool said:
"Define gimmick?  A trick or device intended to attract attention, business or publicity.
That pretty much sums up everything ever made for entertainment doesn't it?  What changes a device from gimmick to innovation, is when it works.  Ultimately, it works, so logically, innovation.  You can play with words if you like, but it hardly makes you right.
"
Ultimately, it works absolutely no better than any control scheme that has come before it, and a majority of the time, far worse.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool

No, it works better than any other control when done right.  Super Mario Galaxy?  As a gun, when done right, it is the only time I can play a shooting game, like Resident Evil 4 and Metroid.

I am fine with the PS3 and 360 and most Wii owners are as well.  It is just a core group of 360 and PS3 owners that are so anti Nintendo.  I believe most of that is born of jealousy of the success of the Wii and is growing at the same rate of that success.

Wii sales - 43.8 million.
360 sales - 26.5 million.
PS3 sales - 18.8 million.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_
oldschool said:
"No, it works better than any other control when done right.  Super Mario Galaxy?  As a gun, when done right, it is the only time I can play a shooting game, like Resident Evil 4 and Metroid.
I am fine with the PS3 and 360 and most Wii owners are as well.  It is just a core group of 360 and PS3 owners that are so anti Nintendo.  I believe most of that is born of jealousy of the success of the Wii and is growing at the same rate of that success.

"
Yes. I'm so needy for purchase justification that I hate on the Wii constantly.

I *own* a Wii.

Of course you could say that I'm not one of that referenced "most", but then again, the assertion is still ridiculously stupid. Owners of other consoles are jealous of the fact that another console is better than a console they might have (even though a large number of people own both) so they hate on it because they can't get it? Seriously? That might work if every single person hating on Nintendo is 12 years old. The reality of the fact is that most people were expecting an actually satisfying experience from the Wii, and they found nothing more than (as referenced by Arkthemaniac, who is a huge Wii fan) a gamecube+ with motion controls. Motion controls that still don't even work right, and require an additional peripheral to do so.

As for Mario Galaxy, it would definitely have been better on a normal control scheme. Regardless, I still think of it as a largely mediocre game overall anyway.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dalai
oldschool said:
"No, it works better than any other control when done right.  Super Mario Galaxy?  As a gun, when done right, it is the only time I can play a shooting game, like Resident Evil 4 and Metroid.

"
Oh snap, he broke out the sales numbers.

He's right about the controls... as long as they're done right.  I think Metroid Prime 3's controls are better than any shooter I've played on any other console.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldschool

Jayge, I am talking about people who don't own the Wii.   Yes, there are those who bought the Wii and are disappointed with it.  Fair enough, it didn't match their expectations and they are entitled to that view.  Doesn't make the Wii bad or disappointing though.

As for the whole Gamecube plus wiimote thing again, in fact, it is the N64 plus wiimote as well, but the Gamecube was just the N64 with better graphics.  Then again, the PS2 was a PS1 with better graphics and the PS3 is the PS1 and PS2 with better graphics and not much else.  That said, not forgetting the 360, it is just the Xbox with better graphics.  Then again, the whole point is all nonsense.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By BiggerBomb

I won't call you a moron, but I disagree with what you're saying. Yes, there are some good games on the Wii; however, overall, I find the system to be very sub-par.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool
BiggerBomb said:
"

I won't call you a moron, but I disagree with what you're saying. Yes, there are some good games on the Wii; however, overall, I find the system to be very sub-par.

"
I assume you are talking to me, so ..... thank you for not calling me a moron, so I won't call you a ....... ummmm ..... a politician :)
Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Discorsi
Jayge said:
"oldschool said:
"Jayge said:
"
Seemingly nonsensical if you have no idea what you're talking about. As HandsomeDead (Oh god, I'm agreeing with him?) said, take any Wii game's waggle away and you have a game from at least one generation if not two generations past. Where is the Wii progressing at all where the 360 or PS3 aren't? With point-and-waggle controls? That's not innovation, that's a gimmick."
caption
caption
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By Icemael
Jayge said:
"oldschool said:
"Define gimmick?  A trick or device intended to attract attention, business or publicity.
"
Ultimately, it works absolutely no better than any control scheme that has come before it, and a majority of the time, far worse."
Go play RE4 on the GC/PS2, then on the Wii. No better than any control scheme that has come before it? Yeah right.
daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By daniel_beck_90
Champy said:
"whatever, just PLEASE i dont want to have a system wars forum on here!!"
  there is no war , even though I do not like Wii and its games, I admit that nothing can beat Wii .
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By oldschool

Just accept that the Wii is a killer system.

caption
caption

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#28  Edited By Vinchenzo

Once you buy me Petz Monkeyz for the Wii, we'll talk.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Arkthemaniac

For the record, there is something that every gamer I've ever met on the internet or in real life has just completely missed about the Wii if they've been around since at least the PS1 and N64. I can understand your difficulties understanding it, but it goes like this:

The Wii has landed itself in a different field because rather than change what you play, it changes how you play it, sometimes with terrific results. I'm sorry that I can't respond to each of you, but I'd rather not have an argument with 8 people at once. It's just taxing, especially since I've already had around 43 with HandsomeDead by now covering every subject. If you think about it in the context of changing how you play, you'll see the innovation. Also, the Wii has had a really strong library of exclusives. It just hasn't had the multiplats, which is it. That is what hurts it, and basically nothing more.

Also, please, please, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE . . . keep this kind of shit civil. I hate system wars when people act retarded, which some of you are.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By oldschool

Ark, most of the times, the Wii is better off without the mutliplats.  If I want a dumbed down and cut back version of a game, then I would buy them.  Sometimes they get it right, like PES was the best on the Wii for example, but at other times if fails badly (Quantum of Solace).  That goes back to my point about building a completely different game utilising the same franchise, that ties in with the other game.  

I can live without FFXIII on the Wii, but just like they made a differnet version of FFXII for the DS, they sure as hell can make a big, full and great game of FFXIII*insert extra title* to compliment the main game, specifically for the Wii.  Keep in mind the numbers of consoles.  With just as many potential buyers for the Wii as there is for the PS3 and 360 combined, it is a sound business proposition.  I would get both.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I'm not saying there should be more multiplats. I'm saying that the system's library is weaker because its multiplats either suck or are nonexistant. One of the strongest games on the 360 and PS3 is GTA4, which isn't on Wii. Same goes for Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise, etc. Since those systems get games made for both of them, more of them are made. That's why there aren't a lot of games out for the Wii . . . yet.

If you've seen the Wii's exclusive lineup for the next year, you would see the shift. Q1 of 2009 will be stronger than almost all of 2008 with third party titles alone. Among those are a rails shooter, an action game where you play as a Tarantula and Scorpion, a kingdom builder, an online enabled FPS, an ultraviolent beat-em-up, and a stealth assassin game. That's third party. Punch-Out!! and Sin and Punishment 2 are also slated for Q1, I believe. That's a boxing game and a half-rails shooter.

That, my friends, is what we call variety.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jayge_
Icemael said:
"Go play RE4 on the GC/PS2, then on the Wii. No better than any control scheme that has come before it? Yeah right."
Still can't beat the ol' keyboard and mouse.

Arkthemaniac said:
"For the record, there is something that every gamer I've ever met on the internet or in real life has just completely missed about the Wii if they've been around since at least the PS1 and N64. I can understand your difficulties understanding it, but it goes like this:
The Wii has landed itself in a different field because rather than change what you play, it changes how you play it, sometimes with terrific results. I'm sorry that I can't respond to each of you, but I'd rather not have an argument with 8 people at once. It's just taxing, especially since I've already had around 43 with HandsomeDead by now covering every subject. If you think about it in the context of changing how you play, you'll see the innovation. Also, the Wii has had a really strong library of exclusives. It just hasn't had the multiplats, which is it. That is what hurts it, and basically nothing more.

Also, please, please, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE . . . keep this kind of shit civil. I hate system wars when people act retarded, which some of you are.
"
It doesn't change how I play, it changes what I do to make the exact same actions appear on-screen, often in a much more tedious manner than I would with another scheme. Now, if the Wii had a truly succesfull implementation of its IR-sensors combined with actual 1:1 control, I might not be here right now; but the entire console's differentiation from the past (besides obvious minimal incremental upgrades) is the control scheme, and for a good deal of the game's bigger titles, the old way is still the better way.

Hell, No More Heroes, a game lauded as one of the better representations of the system's ingenuity, would most certainly have been better on one of the more advanced consoles. The technological failures of the game were worked around admirably by Suda and his team, but overall, I just see it as a representation of blown potential. Which is how I see the Wii in general. In the post above me (which I am reading in another tab even though I'm responding to an earlier post), you state that the Wii has some more interesting and varied titles coming out in 2009. That's not something I could refute if I wanted to. Will it be redeemed then? Maybe.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By get2sammyb
Icemael said:
"Jayge said:
"oldschool said:
"
Ultimately, it works absolutely no better than any control scheme that has come before it, and a majority of the time, far worse."
Go play RE4 on the GC/PS2, then on the Wii. No better than any control scheme that has come before it? Yeah right."
I agree. The thought of having to use a controller in Resident Evil 5 actually frightens me. Those Wii controls for Resident Evil were, simply put, brilliant.

I just personally can't wait to get my hands on House Of The Dead Overkill, Punch-Out!! and Madworld.

People hate the Wii because it's taken their backpocket hobby and marketed it at their grandma. Suddenly people "get" gamers and games. It's the equivalent of your favourite band getting a number one and suddenly you're calling them "shit" because all your mates have them on their iPod.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rowr

Aside from a few clever titles, the Wii is lacking in compelling titles.

For the most part, what Wii titles are doing for gameplay, are no better than i was doing 15 years ago on a Mega Drive. But then, that was fine when i was 9 and at least cutting edge for the time.

"If one were trying to find a point where video games are turning into a form of artistic expression, however, it might be towards the more powerful consoles that one would look. The Wii is great entertainment but in spirit it is closer to a toy than a game; I don’t mean that as a criticism, it’s a virtue. In the form of games such as those of Miyamoto, it is close to a spirit of pure play. This is often elusive in the darker types of video game. A common criticism of video games made by non-gamers is that they are pointless and escapist, but a more valid observation might be that the bulk of games are nowhere near escapist enough. A persuasive recent essay by the games theorist Steven Poole made the strong argument that the majority of games offer a model of play which is oppressively close to work.[1] The Grand Theft Auto games, for example, are notorious (especially among people who’ve never played them) for their apparent celebration of random violence. The most recent iteration of the game, however, Grand Theft Auto IV, involves the main character having to spend a large amount of time building up his relationships, so that he can have people to help him do his criminal thing; and building up these relationships involves driving to see these people, taking them out to nightclubs, and sitting there with them. It’s not significantly less boring in the game than it would be in real life."
Quote from this Writeup.

To 90 percent of the Wii audience, it sells as a toy, and thats fine. If you have been playing games for longer than a few years tho, its likely you could be looking for something a little deeper. The Wii has the potential to be both (example: No more heroes) and i think thats why it gets the critism, for not delivering on that front (because from a business standpoint, it doesnt appear to need to). Look at Miyamoto's recent talk on the subject, recent projects (Wii Music). He knows exactly what the system is, and who he is selling to.

Arkthemaniac said:
"    When you think of the standout games on the Xbox 360 or PS3, what do you think of? Well, on the 360, I think of games like Halo, Gears of War, Too Human, BWAHAHAHAHAHA . . . sorry, couldn't resist . . . Mass Effect, etc. On the PS3, I'd think of Uncharted, MGS4, Resistance, LittleBigPlanet. Notice something about those? Of all those games, only one isn't trying in some way to create a realistic vision of a world. By that, I mean all but LittleBigPlanet are keeping themselves more grounded in reality than fantasy. I mean, sorry to go back to a joke, but Too Human toom the world of Norse Mythology and made it into some kind of corporation! Of course, not all the games for the systems go for that, but most do, and almost all the notable ones do. The Wii? I think of Galaxy, Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes, de Blob, Zack and Wiki. Now, of those you have three that involve humans, and one that recreates them in a realistic manner, being Metroid Prime 3. Galaxy and Brawl are both much more focused on a cartoon-like element, but we should exclude those because they were already established. Of the three most notable titles that have made their full debut on Wii, one has humans, one has blobs, and one has animals that talk like humans. Even No More Heroes, which has humans, is so outrageously over the top that it can barely be called "grounded in reality."

"
The argument is sloppy, and jayge exposes it.

Jayge said:
Though ArkTheManiac, i think you are onto something asserted in my first quote (scroll up). The closer we get to trying to recreate realism, the more we move away from escapism. The less exciting and more like work games tend to become.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Claude

The Wii has the best golf games ever. I can't go back to analog controls for golf. If the Xbox 360 or the PS3 get a motion controller and I can play golf on those systems, win... win... for me.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rowr
Claude said:
"The Wii has the best golf games ever. I can't go back to analog controls for golf. If the Xbox 360 or the PS3 get a motion controller and I can play golf on those systems, win... win... for me."
I kno rite. The wii sports golf is kind of average tho.

WHERE IS THE MOTION CONTROL FIGHTNIGHT GAME???

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I can't speak for everybody, obviously.

However, I for one am both impressed and satisfied with the Wii.

The Wii was never meant to do what it's so-called competing consoles could do, was never advertised to.

Alot of people bring up the point of it's lack of power and shovelware. For this I have 2 valid arguments.

1. Power does not equal a good game.
2. I don't buy shovelware games so it doesn't effect me.

It's arrogant for gamers need to think that the gaming industry OWES them something.

Moon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Moon

I cant see your point.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HandsomeDead
Dalai said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"oldschool said:
"Jayge said:
"
Take any game you want from the Wii and remove the motion controls. Not so innovative now, is it? Look at stuff like The Conduit. That is garbage but because I have to move my hands while i'm playing, it's the most groundbreaking thing on the market? Give me a game that's actually fun over something which tries too hard to break the mold."
Remove the motion controls on the Wii and beef up the graphics and we get another 360/PS3 clone, it would fail like the Gamecube.  Nintendo had to mix things up and try something unique, hence the motion controls and the casual games we love to hate.  Like it or not, motion controls are a big deal and I have a feeling Sony and Microsoft are going to rely heavily on motion controls next generation.

And, what innovations have the 360 and PS3 made this generation?  Better graphics never count as real innovation... that's just a normal progression.  The controls of these consoles are last gen, and perhaps even older.  The industry can't survive by doing the same old thing, but shinier.  Online play might count, but then again, the PC did it before anybody."
Graphics = console power, right? Try and make a world as large and complex as Falout 3 on the Wii, try to make something as epic as MGS4 on the Wii, try to make something as intense as CoD 4 on the Wii. You can't do it with the power of the console. The real innovation comes in the games themselves rather than how you play them. Waggling a nunchuck left and right rather than tapping X isn't innovation. Innovation is a game like Dead Rising where you are actually having to survive against the zombies rather than being a typical hero or BioShock where you're investigating the world around you rather than simply fighting through it. The Wii has nothing as deep or interesting as either of those. Of course, it's trying, they have a Dead Rising port which not only looks like utter garbage (Graphics) but also loses a lot of the zombies so the claustrophobia is gone too (Console power) and you had the logs in Metroid Prime 3, but that game was so slow and sluggish, it was beyond boring.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Kazona

I don't think of the system as subpar in any way. I just think that too many developers use it to dump their shovelware and party games on. While I don't mind a couple of quirky simple games, I just hate how so many developers don't even bother making good games for it simply because they know their crap will sell anyway.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Arkthemaniac
HandsomeDead said:
Graphics = console power, right? Try and make a world as large and complex as Falout 3 on the Wii, try to make something as epic as MGS4 on the Wii, try to make something as intense as CoD 4 on the Wii. You can't do it with the power of the console. The real innovation comes in the games themselves rather than how you play them. Waggling a nunchuck left and right rather than tapping X isn't innovation. Innovation is a game like Dead Rising where you are actually having to survive against the zombies rather than being a typical hero or BioShock where you're investigating the world around you rather than simply fighting through it. The Wii has nothing as deep or interesting as either of those. Of course, it's trying, they have a Dead Rising port which not only looks like utter garbage (Graphics) but also loses a lot of the zombies so the claustrophobia is gone too (Console power) and you had the logs in Metroid Prime 3, but that game was so slow and sluggish, it was beyond boring."
There's more than one kind of innovation. Innovation of scale is one thing, innovation of interaction. You can't tell me that something like Shaun White Snowboarding on Wii isn't innovative, with the balance board controls.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By pause422

It isn't underrated, its perceived by most people exactly as it should be. It's just not that good of a machine at all. Something nearly everyone has, and was happy about it the day they went out and got it, but hasn't really touched it since, or eventually sold it(as I did.)

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HandsomeDead
Arkthemaniac said:
"HandsomeDead said:
Graphics = console power, right? Try and make a world as large and complex as Falout 3 on the Wii, try to make something as epic as MGS4 on the Wii, try to make something as intense as CoD 4 on the Wii. You can't do it with the power of the console. The real innovation comes in the games themselves rather than how you play them. Waggling a nunchuck left and right rather than tapping X isn't innovation. Innovation is a game like Dead Rising where you are actually having to survive against the zombies rather than being a typical hero or BioShock where you're investigating the world around you rather than simply fighting through it. The Wii has nothing as deep or interesting as either of those. Of course, it's trying, they have a Dead Rising port which not only looks like utter garbage (Graphics) but also loses a lot of the zombies so the claustrophobia is gone too (Console power) and you had the logs in Metroid Prime 3, but that game was so slow and sluggish, it was beyond boring."
There's more than one kind of innovation. Innovation of scale is one thing, innovation of interaction. You can't tell me that something like Shaun White Snowboarding on Wii isn't innovative, with the balance board controls."
Not really. Unless you're looking at it from the point of view that it's bringing the arcade home. Plus, is Shaun White actually a good game? I haven't heard anything about it.
TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheJollyRajah

The only thing that keeps me from selling my Wii is the anticipation of the next Zelda and Mario. Other than that, there is no great reason to keep it. Honestly, the Wii is a boring console. It is inferior to the Xbox 360 and PS3.

You know what's cool to think about? Imagine Galaxy on the 360. Now THAT would be amazing to look at. 1080p graphics and overall just a vast improvement in visuals. It would've made Galaxy so much more immersive, and so much more fun to play. I think people underrate the importance of graphics in this generation. Most of the top games of all time had superior graphics in their day. Graphics add to the experience. It's a shame that Nintendo decided to hold back and make a console that rivals the original Xbox graphically. I think that the Wii's software sales suck because of it.  But then again, the Wii wouldn't be "easy" to use and "cheap", and they probably wouldn't have sold the amount that they have. As much as I hate the Wii, I will admit that it's helping the game industry grow.

So, why do gamers keep their Wii? Not because it's a great console, but because we are all waiting for the next Zelda, or Mario. We keep our Wii because it's the ONLY place where those old franchises can be. And, in my opinion, the Wii is holding Mario and Zelda back from becoming something awesome.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BiggerBomb

Oldschool, I was addressing Arkthemaniac. In his opening post he asks everyone not to call him a moron.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
oldschool said:
"Super Mario Galaxy?  As a gun, when done right, it is the only time I can play a shooting game"

I've had a few to drink, but trying to make any sense of this sentence made a tiny amount of steam come out of my anus.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By oldschool
BiggerBomb said:
"Oldschool, I was addressing Arkthemaniac. In his opening post he asks everyone not to call him a moron."
Okay.  Sorry.  Wow, I am gald I wasn't rude though, that could have been embarassing :)  Sorry for calling you an .... ummmm. politician!
Oh, the internet and its lack of subtlety :(  Please be more specific to whom you are answering in future.  It will save me from making an arse out of myself :)
mandeponium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mandeponium

Most underrated console ever? I think that goes to the dreamcast.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#49  Edited By Icemael
Jayge said:
"Icemael said:
"Go play RE4 on the GC/PS2, then on the Wii. No better than any control scheme that has come before it? Yeah right."
Still can't beat the ol' keyboard and mouse.
Not in speed and precision, but aiming with the Wiimote feels much better. And it's still a thousand times better than analogue sticks. Have you played the Resident Evil 5 demo? The aiming feels like shit after RE4 Wii.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#50  Edited By wefwefasdf

You won't see as many big games on the Wii due to the fact that the casual audience doesn't buy nearly as much software as the other consoles. Nintendo is getting the big bucks while other developers aren't getting nearly the same payload when they make a game.