The WiiU Controller - Gaming's Platypus

ManotheBard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ManotheBard

The WiiU’s new controller seems to be a compilation of features from all walks of gaming and comparable to a platypus. Given that I have had no hands-on experience with the WiiU controller this is worst case scenario speculation. Since it incorporates the best parts of each method of control does it also include their shortcomings? This could result in one major headache. Or worse, confusion in the main stream market beyond whether or not this is just an add-on for the Wii, but “how exactly do I work this complicated device?” which would hurt sales of the WiiU by scaring away their main stream audience.

Touch Screen: I am bewildered by touch screen controls. It is a method of control which has hindered most touch screen gaming experiences because the player’s fingers block the display. The gaming experience is a unique experience which relies heavily on the user’s communication with the game. Even one of my favorite games on the iPhone, Jetpack Joyride, succumbs to touch screen controls as I can only play with my left hand to tap on the left side of the screen. Any attempt to play with my right hand would be thwarted by a late response to oncoming obstacles as I would not see them until it is too late. The touch screen’s lack of a proper method of input is enough to conclude that thumbs were created to help grasp tools and not be tools.

Stylus/Two Screens: The first solution that comes to mind when complaining about touch screen controls is a stylus, such as the one on a Nintendo DS. It allows for neater control, because it can be held as if it were a pencil, and better precision, because it is finer then a thumb. Yet, while using the DS, there are occasions in which it would be quicker to tap an on-screen button by using my finger then picking up my stylus after setting it down. The intelligent design of the DS integrates buttons, a D-pad, and a second screen along with the touch screen. This ensures that any action will not be covered when touching the screen, but sometimes results in the player’s attention being focused on the bottom screen rather then where the action is being shown on the top screen.

Motion Control: The Wii’s success in selling to the masses was partially attributed to the simplicity of the nun-chuck controller. This simplicity resulted in tasks, mainly aiming a reticle, being mapped to motion control. This motion control feature is not always as accurate as it should be resulting in a reticle that is often lost off screen, thus turning simplicity into pure frustration. Likewise, the Kinect suffers from blatant tracking problems that can render a game completely unplayable.

Standard Controller: The proven and preferred control method for many gamers is the standard D-pad, button, and analog stick combo. This has been utilized by many consoles in a variety of layouts for years. Although analog sticks can be useful for a precise of 360 degrees of character movement they pale in comparison when aiming something, such as a reticle, to a computer mouse.

ManotheBard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ManotheBard

The WiiU’s new controller seems to be a compilation of features from all walks of gaming and comparable to a platypus. Given that I have had no hands-on experience with the WiiU controller this is worst case scenario speculation. Since it incorporates the best parts of each method of control does it also include their shortcomings? This could result in one major headache. Or worse, confusion in the main stream market beyond whether or not this is just an add-on for the Wii, but “how exactly do I work this complicated device?” which would hurt sales of the WiiU by scaring away their main stream audience.

Touch Screen: I am bewildered by touch screen controls. It is a method of control which has hindered most touch screen gaming experiences because the player’s fingers block the display. The gaming experience is a unique experience which relies heavily on the user’s communication with the game. Even one of my favorite games on the iPhone, Jetpack Joyride, succumbs to touch screen controls as I can only play with my left hand to tap on the left side of the screen. Any attempt to play with my right hand would be thwarted by a late response to oncoming obstacles as I would not see them until it is too late. The touch screen’s lack of a proper method of input is enough to conclude that thumbs were created to help grasp tools and not be tools.

Stylus/Two Screens: The first solution that comes to mind when complaining about touch screen controls is a stylus, such as the one on a Nintendo DS. It allows for neater control, because it can be held as if it were a pencil, and better precision, because it is finer then a thumb. Yet, while using the DS, there are occasions in which it would be quicker to tap an on-screen button by using my finger then picking up my stylus after setting it down. The intelligent design of the DS integrates buttons, a D-pad, and a second screen along with the touch screen. This ensures that any action will not be covered when touching the screen, but sometimes results in the player’s attention being focused on the bottom screen rather then where the action is being shown on the top screen.

Motion Control: The Wii’s success in selling to the masses was partially attributed to the simplicity of the nun-chuck controller. This simplicity resulted in tasks, mainly aiming a reticle, being mapped to motion control. This motion control feature is not always as accurate as it should be resulting in a reticle that is often lost off screen, thus turning simplicity into pure frustration. Likewise, the Kinect suffers from blatant tracking problems that can render a game completely unplayable.

Standard Controller: The proven and preferred control method for many gamers is the standard D-pad, button, and analog stick combo. This has been utilized by many consoles in a variety of layouts for years. Although analog sticks can be useful for a precise of 360 degrees of character movement they pale in comparison when aiming something, such as a reticle, to a computer mouse.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mtcantor

But does it have poisonous spurs?

Nonapod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nonapod

The thing you have to remember about the Wii U pad is that, as a controller, it's not taking anything away from the interface that people are used to. What I mean is basically the fact that the pad has a touch screen and camera doesn't prohibit it from being used like a normal controller. The worst you can say about it is that it may be a tad unwieldy compared to a 360 or PS3 gamepad due to its size and shape, but I personally haven't tried one so I have no idea if the ergonomics will be a detriment to game play.

The thing about the various motion controls of this generation (the Wiimote, the Move, and Kinect) is that they all replace the standard controller. But the Wii U pad instead integrates it's additional functionality with a more standard gamepad.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ravenlight

@mtcantor said:

That's an unsubstantiated rumor. Oddly enough though, it will lay eggs.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@mtcantor said:

Only the male controllers.

ManotheBard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ManotheBard

@Nonapod: Although it doesn’t completely take away the standard functionality of a regular controller, what about all the developers that will likely force the unnecessary forms of control into their games in order to “fully take advantage of the WiiU”?

Of course some games can benefit from the WiiU controller. My fingers are crossed for a new Okami game.