#1 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

So I was spending all of my earthy money on Steam sales and saw The Witcher on there, is it worth playing, does it hold up still today?

#2 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson: Yes it's worth a go.

#3 Posted by natetodamax (19212 posts) -

I'm playing it right now (I assume you mean The Witcher 2) on Xbox and it's great.

#4 Posted by YI_Orange (1163 posts) -

Absolutely. The Witcher has it's problems, but both games are still fantastic.

#5 Edited by Christoffer (1865 posts) -

Played The Witcher 1 not long ago and can wholeheartedly recommend it. It demanded a fair share of patients from me, but it was still worth it.

I just picked up The Witcher 2 and I've been fiddling with the graphics options for two hours (damn, that game is a graphics hog)

#6 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Witcher 1 is amazing, the combat can be hit or miss for some people but its worth it for the story and universe alone.

Witcher 2 is my favorite game of all time and has knocked the previous title holders on their asses.

#7 Posted by RazielCuts (2975 posts) -

So sub question to this, I know they're related (by the numbering, I don't miss a thing) but is it essential to of played the first one or can I just jump into 2? Will I be lost to what's going on/do decisions carry over ala Mass Effect?

#8 Posted by musclerider (590 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

So sub question to this, I know they're related (by the numbering, I don't miss a thing) but is it essential to of played the first one or can I just jump into 2? Will I be lost to what's going on/do decisions carry over ala Mass Effect?

I played through Witcher 2 without having ever played the first game. Nothing really seems to carry over from the first game since Geralt starts the second one with amnesia.

#9 Edited by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@musclerider: He has amnesia in the first as well, in W2 he's starting to remember things.

@RazielCuts:
You can play W2 without 1 but playing 1 will very richly add to your overal Witcher experience and knowing several people (or romantic interests) from the first one really helps with the immersion.
Put it on easy and go through it for the story, certainly worth it.
#10 Posted by JJWeatherman (14559 posts) -

@musclerider said:

@RazielCuts said:

I played through Witcher 2 without having ever played the first game. Nothing really seems to carry over from the first game since Geralt starts the second one with amnesia.

God damn, he starts the first one with amnesia, too. Fuckin' video games, man.

And to the op, I say take Brad Shoemaker's advice: if a game's $2.50, don't ask us if it's worth it--just buy the thing.

#11 Posted by Nottle (1917 posts) -

@JJWeatherman said:

@musclerider said:

@RazielCuts said:

And to the op, I say take Brad Shoemaker's advice: if a game's $2.50, don't ask us if it's worth it--just buy the thing.

Though the weird thing is the amnesia doesn't really have any purpose as a plot twist delivery device right? It's not like Kotor or FF8. You could just buy a Witcher novel and know what Geralt forgot. right? Seems like he has amnesia just to have an excuse for asking about things he should know already.

#12 Posted by ze_ro (181 posts) -

It was 2€ on the summer sale, not anymore though, but still a bit ridiculous.

#13 Posted by JJWeatherman (14559 posts) -
@Nottle

@JJWeatherman said:

@musclerider said:

@RazielCuts said:

Though the weird thing is the amnesia doesn't really have any purpose as a plot twist delivery device right? It's not like Kotor or FF8. You could just buy a Witcher novel and know what Geralt forgot. right? Seems like he has amnesia just to have an excuse for asking about things he should know already.

I haven't finished the first game, so I can't say for sure, but I think that's probably correct, which is maybe a bit lame.

I really need to get back the The Witcher. Too many games to play.
#14 Posted by AlexW00d (6302 posts) -

@Nottle said:

@JJWeatherman said:

@musclerider said:

@RazielCuts said:

Or, the fact that it plays into the decisions you make quite a bit in the first game? But yeah, no, utterly pointless. Go read those books guys, you obviously read Polish.

#15 Edited by kindgineer (2768 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong: Is that why all my (favourite) video-game boxes on my shelves keep falling over? Quit your voodoo magic, girl!

#16 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@ck1nd: Unless you had Mass Effect 1 and Zelda Ocarina of Time on there it wasn't me :P
#17 Edited by mandude (2669 posts) -

The first one leads directly into the second one. The whole predicament Geralt finds himself in is as a direct result of what happened in the last game (although the overall story arc isn't the same one). You could probably enjoy it without playing the first one, but everything that's going on might seem a bit overwhelming, especially at the start.

: He started the first game with amnesia, and still had it in the second one. In fact, the only thing Geralt can remember at all are the events of the first game.

#18 Posted by Aetheldod (3628 posts) -

Well is so so ... I havent been able to get past chapter 2 because it is too god damned loooooong and boring , so be prepared for that

#19 Posted by Jimbo (9869 posts) -

@Nottle said:

@JJWeatherman said:

@musclerider said:

@RazielCuts said:

To clarify: Geralt doesn't have amnesia again. It's the same amnesia from the start of TW1, so in theory he can remember what happened in the first game, but those events aren't particularly relevant. And yes, his on-going amnesia is still significant to the plot of TW2 (though not to the extent that it was in KOTOR, where it was pretty much the entire plot).

Oh, and Brad's advice there is terrible, if that's accurate.

#20 Posted by AlisterCat (5631 posts) -

I want to know if I should pick up with my save again. I had to stop last year because I formatted my SSD. I remember leaving it off where I'm in a new act in a city of some kind... and it's after clearing the magic tower in the swamp.

How far in am I? How much is left?

#21 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@AlisterCat: You're at half, roughly.
I'd say you have 15 hours to go, 20+ if you do all the sidequests and wander about.
#22 Posted by RazielCuts (2975 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@JJWeatherman said:

Why? $2.50 is nothing to take a chance on a game, how is that terrible? It's like a rental price, you checked it out and if you didn't like it oh well you didn't pay that much and if you did like it then cool, you found a new game you wouldn't of tried otherwise for a cheap price.

#23 Posted by AlisterCat (5631 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

@AlisterCat: You're at half, roughly. I'd say you have 15 hours to go, 20+ if you do all the sidequests and wander about.

Unfortunately I do absolutely everything. It felt so tedious. I can't help myself though.

#24 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

I really loved the game but it just would not cooperate with my machine so I never finished it. It got to a point where I would load the game, play about 20-30 minutes and then it would CTD.

#25 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@AlisterCat: It got tiresome in the first few chapters but I really loved the last two.
Might be because I don't care for cities much, prefer the wilderness and plains and such.
#26 Posted by logicfracture (158 posts) -

Totally! I had a great time with it a couple months ago. The controls take a little bit of getting used to but it's a pretty incredible game. Great setting, story and atmosphere.

#27 Posted by Jimbo (9869 posts) -

@RazielCuts said:

@Jimbo said:

@JJWeatherman said:

Why? $2.50 is nothing to take a chance on a game, how is that terrible? It's like a rental price, you checked it out and if you didn't like it oh well you didn't pay that much and if you did like it then cool, you found a new game you wouldn't of tried otherwise for a cheap price.

Because the question you should be asking is 'Is this game worth my time?', and the game being dirt cheap doesn't answer that. There are thousands upon thousands of games you could be playing for $2.50 or less - doesn't mean you wanna sink hours into each of them to figure out if they're any good or not. OP asked if it was worth playing, not if it was worth $2.50.

Brad has enough gaming time in his week (ie. most of it) to be able to take that approach, but a lot of people (certainly most adults) don't.

#28 Posted by Nottle (1917 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Nottle said:

@JJWeatherman said:

@musclerider said:

@RazielCuts said:

Or, the fact that it plays into the decisions you make quite a bit in the first game? But yeah, no, utterly pointless. Go read those books guys, you obviously read Polish.

I said "right?" because I never played the first game I was merely assuming. No need to be caustic.

I did play the Witcher 2; amnesia played into it so Geralt would ask more questions and try to find Yennifer. Also some of the books are in English.

@Jimbo:$2.50 is pretty cheap. But yeah, you should still see if something is a good game before you buy it. But if it's something you've been on the fence about, maybe its a love it or hate it kind of game, $2.50's worth it.

#29 Posted by JJWeatherman (14559 posts) -
@Jimbo I get that everyone's situation is unique and all, but when we're talking about a highly praised and lengthy video game, then yes it's well worth buying when it costs less than what a lot of people spend on a cup of coffee every morning. If there's any interest there at all (which of course there is in this case) then buy it.

Of course interest in the product was implied when Brad said that, because common sense.
#30 Posted by xXxLYNCHxXx (162 posts) -

PC maybe. I just bought it for Mac, and won't even start. It uses some sort of emulator, and isn't a proper port. I would avoid it on Mac, and couldn't say on pc. Bummer...

#31 Posted by Jimbo (9869 posts) -
@JJWeatherman
@Jimbo I get that everyone's situation is unique and all, but when we're talking about a highly praised and lengthy video game, then yes it's well worth buying when it costs less than what a lot of people spend on a cup of coffee every morning. If there's any interest there at all (which of course there is in this case) then buy it.

Of course interest in the product was implied when Brad said that, because common sense.
Common sense would dictate that once the price becomes this negligible, it is no longer the factor which is causing somebody to seek advice. I think most people are quite capable of figuring out for themselves how much $2 means to them. Telling them '$2 isn't a lot of money so go find out yourself' isn't helpful at all (because no shit). Dude wants a heads-up on whether time put into TW1 in 2012 is likely to be time well spent or not, not financial advice.
#32 Edited by JJWeatherman (14559 posts) -

@Jimbo Really? I think it's perfectly helpful. "Go and spend this negligible amount of money and you'll know first hand if the game's worth playing for you."

But I really don't care to argue any longer.

#33 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

I still rate TW1 higher than TW2, personally. The pacing was superior (despite a very weird transition after the intro chapter) and perhaps as a result it had an atmosphere that grabbed me much more firmly than in TW2. Combat in both games is wobbly, but I preferred the timing-based chaining in TW1 to the twitch-based dodge-heavy Quen-fest in TW2. Graphically the first game still looks great. TBH I envy any PCRPG fan who is only just discovering that game now for $2-$5.

#34 Posted by Revan_NL (345 posts) -

Only if you like good games