#1 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

I am going to be going on a trip pretty soon and want a good portable RPG for my 3DS/ Vita and I have lowered it down to these 2 and not sure which I should pick up. Also what is the combat system in the world ends like?

#2 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Chrono. The World Ends With You isn't much of an RPG in my book. It's more like... a weird anomaly.

#3 Posted by dopplerganger (80 posts) -

Chrono Trigger

#4 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4603 posts) -

Pokemon.

#5 Posted by BeachThunder (11633 posts) -

Chrono Trigger. Also, I really hated the combat system in TWEWY, to me it just seemed like a huge mess =/

#6 Posted by SadPatrol (499 posts) -

The world ends with you

#7 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

TWEWY

#8 Posted by freewilly5 (64 posts) -

TWEWY

#9 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Chrono Trigger

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (35784 posts) -

@sarge1445 said:

Also what is the combat system in the world ends like?

It's like Pong mixed with a rhythm game. Also, some card shit that you don't really need to pay attention to.

#11 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@sarge1445 said:

Also what is the combat system in the world ends like?

It's like Pong mixed with a rhythm game. Also, some card shit that you don't really need to pay attention to.

what the hell

#12 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19304 posts) -

The World Ends With You. Much better and interesting game.

The combat system in TWEWY is disorienting at first, but rewarding once you get the hang of it. It's also very flexible, depending on how you choose to play.

@Video_Game_King said:

Uh, what? None of that desribes TWEWY well at all.

#13 Posted by ImaTreee (209 posts) -

if you want more of the nontraditional go for twewy but if you want traditional go for chrono trigger.

#14 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

think im going to go with chrono

#15 Posted by benspyda (2014 posts) -

I never finished the World Ends With You because I really didn't enjoy the combat or the puzzles or the fashion stuff. Now I think of it I don't think I cared for the game that much. Story was intriguing though.

Haven't played Chrono Trigger so I guess I'm not that much help. Did watch a few eps of ER though and it looked decent.

#16 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

The World Ends With You. Much better and interesting game.

The combat system in TWEWY is disorienting at first, but rewarding once you get the hang of it. It's also very flexible, depending on how you choose to play.

@Video_Game_King said:

You trying to question THE Video Game King? Blasphemy!
#17 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

I didn't understand the question so I chose me.

#18 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I'm going to say The World Ends With You because that is a badass name and I think Chrono Trigger is way over-hyped.

#19 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7240 posts) -

Definitely The World Ends With You. What is the combat like? Nothing. That is part of what makes it so awesome, the combat system is so unique and fun, it's fast paced and strategic at the same time. The games story, combat, visuals and everything are just so brilliant, it really is an amazing game.

Chrono trigger, while a good game, is just a normal turn based RPG and you have probably already played a game similar to it.

(Thanks @VinceNotVance: my job here is done. :D)

#20 Posted by vorpalparasite (270 posts) -

Don't get the Playstation version of Chrono Trigger, it has load times before and after every fight and when bringing up the menu.

#21 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

The world ends with you for sure fun combat and story

#22 Posted by gelatinabomination (184 posts) -

@NekuSakuraba: Amen. I've been preaching the gospel of The World Ends With You to my friends for a long time now. Nice to see that other people like it as much as I did. Also, Joshua is the best "Anime asshole you love to hate" ever.

#23 Posted by kalibr (120 posts) -

Personally I think Chrono Trigger is a classic for a good reason. While TWEWY may be unique and different it doesnt mean its great. If you haven't played Chrono Trigger you should.

#24 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4673 posts) -

TWEWY is incredible and completely unique it excels in all ways I feel a JRPG should. Chrono Trigger I never played until the DS version and after five hours of playing it seems fine.

#25 Posted by BisonHero (6045 posts) -

@VinceNotVance said:

VinceNotVance? More like Commissioner Gordon.

#26 Posted by Deusoma (3000 posts) -

Definitely Chrono Trigger. TWEWY dedicates all of its effort to being "unique", and in doing so makes the combat a confusing mish-mash of things that don't really work together, and it's at the expense of a storyline that barely makes any sense. The graphics and music are nice, and some of the out-of-combat mechanics, like the way they handle food, are cool, but it's not worth the rest of the game. Chrono Trigger's gameplay may be a bit dated, but it's dependable, and the storyline is still one of the best the genre has ever seen.

#27 Posted by BoG (5180 posts) -

The World Ends With You. The combat is crazy, but once you get the hang of it, it is great. Luckily, the developers realize how crazy it is, and the game adapts to how you want to play. If you can't handle both screens, the computer will play the top screen for you. Of course, if you want to play the top screen, just do it! It switches as you play.

Honestly, TWEWY has one of the best crazy JRPG stories of all time. It's full of interesting characters, wild twists, and best of all, it doesn't take itself too seriously.

I'll add that the non-battle RPG elements are spectacular. There is a superb amount of customization, and they did some really cool things with character development.

It's honestly a shame not many people played TWEWY.

#28 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19304 posts) -

@Deusoma said:

and it's at the expense of a storyline that barely makes any sense.

Did you finish TWEWY?

#29 Posted by Muerthoz (345 posts) -

I would go with Chrono Trigger. The World Ends With You is a great game but as I was playing I spent too much time trying to remember what moves to do for which pins and I was too worried about trying to get the pins leveled the right way.

#30 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

All I know is I finished TWEWY in one run, but I've started Chrono Trigger like four times and never finished it. Chrono Trigger is probably longer, though.

#31 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I love me some TWEWY, but Chrono Trigger is the best non-Persona 4 JRPG I've ever played. Definitely pick up TWEWY when you can, though, for the reasons others here have said.

I guess it really depends on your JRPG history--Chrono Trigger is a rather standard JRPG, just done to perfection, whereas TWEWY is a much more unique affair.

#32 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

They're both good games. TWEWY is good for fast-paced pick up and play, whereas Chrono is more of a grind. I'd go with TWEWY, because it's originally a handheld game.

Depends on how long your journey is, though.

#33 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

The best way to describe TWEWY is the kingdom hearts gameboy advance game without the crap controls and card system... But instead replace that with pins that actually do stuff.

Actually... yeah, TWEWY seems like it is on the same engine as chain of memories!

#34 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@sarge1445 said:

think im going to go with chrono

You chose poorly.

#35 Posted by Vextroid (1354 posts) -

TWEWY.

Chrono has already proved it self.

TWEWY needs more love so they make a sequel damn it!

#36 Posted by sungahymn (985 posts) -

Dude, get The World Ends with You. Chrono Trigger's great (I played it more than I can count), but I found TWEWY to be way more enjoyable.

Anyone who says otherwise probably didn't even try to play it.

#37 Posted by kagato (886 posts) -

Chrono trigger is definetly the one to go for, theres a reason a game from the SNES era is still doing the rounds today and is considered one of the greatest games of all time. If you have the choice get the DS version so you can avoid the ps1 loading times.

#38 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Video_Game_King said:

I think he is confused with what he did last Friday night,

TWEWY is a really unique game, but I could see it being a love or hate thing, so it is risky. Chrono has no real risk.

#39 Posted by sevenLiter (110 posts) -

Chrono?! Psh, more like Chroyes!

#40 Posted by sarge1445 (676 posts) -

Ok well I still havent bought either yet and I do have to till next week to decide. That said I have never played a chrono game and my favorite JRPGs of all time are Persona 4 Persona 3 portable Final Fantasy 6 and 10

#41 Posted by Blackmoore (254 posts) -

TWEWY. It's a unqiue game you won't get anywhere else. You can always find another time and system to play Chrono Trigger on.