#1 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Sorta stealing Ariketh's idea, what do you think are the worst games that can (or at least are) still be considered good by many people? DO NOT FLAME. I want to make that clear, and just for my example, I'll say the original Tomb Raider. I cannot find the appeal in this game. I simply can't. Now then, post posts that hopefully won't burn this thread down.

#2 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

"The Worst Best Games" = "The Most Over Rated Games" 

This is just going to be a flame war.

#3 Edited by Astras (973 posts) -

Arghghg tomb raider original is awesome :P

I hate to say this but I think that Symphony of the Night is just an overated Metroid clone and the best Castlevania games were on the Snes!
Also everyone in the MMORPG scene seems to always in the forums especially for new releases such as Darkfall etcc.. seem to use Ultima online as a PVP benchmark (Pre Tremelle) for what is required to make a succesful MPORG.. I thought the game was horrible!

I think i'm asking for trouble posting this :P And nobody bring up FF7 for fucks sake :D

#4 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:

" "The Worst Best Games" = "The Most Over Rated Games" This is just going to be a flame war. "

That's not what I'm saying.

A.) Overrated =/= bad.
B.) One of the requirements is that you still acknowledge that the game is good.

@Astras:

It's been three guys, and two have said something about games. You have nobody to blame but yourself.
#5 Edited by JohnnyAutoFire (353 posts) -
#6 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@Astras said:
" Arghghg tomb raider original is awesome :P  I hate to say this but I think that Symphony of the Night is just an overated Metroid clone and the best Castlevania games were on the Snes! Also everyone in the MMORPG scene seems to always in the forums especially for new releases such as Darkfall etcc.. seem to use Ultima online as a PVP benchmark (Pre Tremelle) for what is required to make a succesful MPORG.. I thought the game was horrible! "
Super Metroid wishes it was half as good as SOTN. In fact, I think I'll say Metroid is one of the worst best game series. Because it may be innovative- but that doesn't stop it from being fucking boring as hell.

You say the best Castlevania games were on the SNES? 
CV1 and 3 > IV 
A steaming load of shit in the hot sun > Dracula X 

You need to play Rondo of Blood.
#7 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Cryostasis is the first I can think of. Many people hate it for it's "slowness". Dut despite of that I still love it!

#8 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

The Revenge of Shinobi is pretty shoddy-hasn't aged well at all. Not with Shinobi III around!

#9 Posted by odintal (1095 posts) -

Don't know about MW2 but CoD4 left me grateful that it was over.

I actually preferred WaW to CoD4.

#10 Posted by BeachThunder (11799 posts) -

Well, if what we're really talking about 'the most flawed game that you would still consider to be one of your personal favourites' then I'll say Portal; the game is wonderful and awesome but it really felt like a huge tutorial for the most part.

#11 Edited by Astras (973 posts) -
@MysteriousBob: 
Each to your own... Metroid produced the original how do I describe this... :P

2d scrolling with area borders, block connected map, item upgrade allow map acess new area, upgrade gear game?

And it executes it flawlessly, the music is intense. The action is awesome.. you can't just turn around and say metroid is shite when the game you like Symphony of the night basically rips the core engine and gameplay straight out of it...

Oh and castlevania 4 is the best!
#12 Posted by rathantoras (192 posts) -

I would say Modern warfare 2, i liked the multiplayer and the singleplayer but i just find so many other games better like good old oblivion (400+ hours so far).

#13 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

beat down fist of vengence fucking amazing game.

#14 Edited by Ariketh (606 posts) -

World of Warcraft. I tried playing that game multiple times, and just can't stand it.

Yet, I have the most points in that game because of all the screen shots I uploaded.

#15 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

If this was asked last week i would have said the entire Final Fantasy series. A friend convinced me to play FF3 and i am loving it.

#16 Posted by Astras (973 posts) -
@wh4tshisface: 
Final fantasy 3 (I'm guessing you mean 6 really????) is awesome! If you liked that I recommend playing 4!
#17 Edited by ColinWright (741 posts) -
@Astras said:

" @wh4tshisface:  Final fantasy 3 (I'm guessing you mean 6 really????) is awesome! If you liked that I recommend playing 4! "

no im talking about the 3 remake on the ds
#18 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

Like, all the Final Fantasy games. Seriously I just don't get it.

#19 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11587 posts) -

I will fully acknowledge that old-style Resident Evil games aren't actually that good, especially in this day and age. I still like them though, for whatever reason. What else? I still think that Majora's Mask is a bad game, but people on "The Internet", whether out of bad taste or counter-culture sensibilities enjoy saying that it is better than Ocarina of Time, which blows my mind.
@wh4tshisface said:

" @Astras said:

" @wh4tshisface:  Final fantasy 3 (I'm guessing you mean 6 really????) is awesome! If you liked that I recommend playing 4! "

no im talking about the 3 remake on the ds "
I know what you mean. I played 5 hours of that game and never understood the appeal of a game with a minimalist story and constant grinding required in order to progress.
#20 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -

Half Life 2  

yeah, HL2. there's just.. something about it :\ 

#21 Posted by Evil_Alaska (293 posts) -

As far as recent games I really liked The Saboteur and haven't many other people who thought it was anything other than crappy.

#22 Posted by Shirogane (3567 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
"Half Life 2   yeah, HL2. there's just.. something about it :\  "

I agree with this to some extent, but only cause it was the very first game to ever give me motion sickness/nausea. 

Metroid and Zelda games, i could never get into. Except Link to the Past, that was awesome!
#23 Edited by ZanzibarBreeze (3069 posts) -
I'll try play by your rules here. :)

• Metal Gear Solid 4 is no where near as good a game as most people seem to think it is. Mediocre graphics, scant on gameplay (cutscenes total to almost 10 hours and that's a 14 hour game, so you do the equation). Poor gameplay design - tries to emulate western games but just doesn't quite pull it off. It's a functional game. I would give it 3 stars. The parts that you actually play are generally enjoyable. But that is one hella average game.

I'll be back with more. Maybe.
#24 Posted by Eljay (141 posts) -

I think your question may be better rephrased as "great games that haven't aged well," since they would classify as something many people consider to be some of the best games ever, but by today's standards they're significantly overshadowed.

Examples that come to mind for me would be Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and Half-Life. Great titles, no doubt, but in the years since their release they've had much more developed follow-ups.

#25 Posted by Ariketh (606 posts) -
@Astras said:

I agree. Final Fantasy 6 is amazing. Kefka > Sephiroth.
#26 Posted by tranquilchaos (573 posts) -

I fucking hate World of Warcraft.

#27 Posted by Andheez (580 posts) -

Metal Gear - why???  So slow, so contrived...... so boring
WoW - or any other MMORPG, its endless?!?!?  Its non permamnent, there is no ultimate goal....no real story.....no challenge......no point 

#1 LITTLE BIG PLANET - WHAT IS THIS?!?!?  WHERE THE FUCK IS MY GOD DAMNED GAME I PAID FOR!!!

#28 Posted by XanderCrews (106 posts) -

God of War 3 for me. 
I loved the first two, but the third one just  didn't add anything new to the gameplay. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it alot, but it just didn't live up to the hype in my opinion.

#29 Posted by Fallen189 (4976 posts) -

FF13

#30 Edited by Lawrens (688 posts) -

I'd have to go with World of warcraft, I'm pretty sure people's experience with it varies as it's an online game, I had fun with other MMOs before while people hated them, but WoW was really boring for me, the questing structures, fetch quests, I pretty much played for the sake of getting to lvl80, and it was tedious, all of my friends enjoyed it, I thought it was boring both partying with them and soloing. Of course what I did was probably just a tiny portion of the game, but it still probably took over a hundred hours, though still quick compare to other MMO to reach cap but it was pretty mind numbing.

This could easily be said and reversed for a lot of the MMOs too I think. 

#31 Posted by Yummylee (21475 posts) -

Oblivion.
#32 Edited by SmasheControllers (2547 posts) -

FF 13, I can see why people like it but It's not my type of RPG.

#33 Posted by Kefkaesque (200 posts) -

Oblivion - I love Fallout 3, but for some reason can't get into Oblivion at all.

Half-Life 2 - Personally, I consider the single player campaign in Halo:CE better in nearly every way. Better vehicles, more interesting weapons (Grav-gun aside), enemies with decent AI, and a great soundtrack.

#34 Posted by Toxin066 (3271 posts) -

I thought CERTAIN parts of GTA4 were only ok.

#35 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -

- Halo 2 and 3.
- Gears of war 2
- GTA4
- Street Fighter 4

#36 Posted by AjayRaz (12424 posts) -
@foggel said:
 Street Fighter 4 "
HOW DARE YOU 

:( 
#37 Posted by DavidM (22 posts) -

MGS3 - way too janky

#38 Posted by foggel (2763 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
" @foggel said:
 Street Fighter 4 "
HOW DARE YOU  :(  "
:(
I always lose at that game.
#39 Posted by calum_s_gunn (74 posts) -

Oblivion. I got out of the sewers and just thought "urgh."

#40 Posted by frankfartmouth (1016 posts) -

Fallout 3, for me. It was good, but the bland, repetitive, sepia-toned environments started to drive me nuts after awhile. Every place I went looked and felt the same as the last. Yay, another washed out city made of crumbling rocks! I know people will say it was the game's intention to create a wasteland feel, which it did, but I think they should have tried to break the illusion and add a little more variety. It just got really old to me really fast    

#41 Posted by DCFGS3 (1054 posts) -

Resistance 2, I hate that game, so much. But for some reason people think it's a good game.

#42 Posted by evanbrau (1162 posts) -

The entire genre of JRPGS: Mechanically, story, voicing, cultural feel. I can't stand any of it but a hell of a lot of people love the shit out of them.
World of Warcraft: It just seemed very simplified and toned down to me. Its barely an rpg at all and the loot progression isn't anywhere near as fast as it needs to be to be gratifying but it still has something insane like 11 million people paying money for it every month so I'm sure they'll do just fine without me.
Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4: Extenuated everything I don't like about the MGS games (cutscenes, increased emphasis on the dreadful action and shooting controls) but still got rave reviews and are loved by many.

#43 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

I was going to say Modern Warfare 2, but I'd like to sit on this for a day or two before I nominate this as my final decision.

#44 Posted by HistoryInRust (6289 posts) -

I feel like a bunch of the replies have been with the wrong intention. We're supposed to be talking about games that are good that we don't like but that we can establish as quality products. Not shitty products we love despite their undeniable flaws.

I've got to go Bioshock with this one. And then, probably Forza, which is technically and mechanically good on just about every level, but I've never seen such a soulless, uninspiring game in my life.

#45 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 2. I hated that game. So pissed off that I had to play the whole game as Jack. The only reason I kept playing was I waiting to play as Snake again. And then the game ended. I was sad.

The Final Fantasy games are another one that I recognize that a lot of them (not all) are great games, but I just can't get into them.

#46 Edited by Kbm600 (446 posts) -

Resident Evil 4 did not wow me like it wow'd everyone else. I never really got past a part I was stuck at so that could have attributed significantly to it however...  

Oh, and any rhythm game. Ever.

#47 Posted by Dysnomia (689 posts) -

Resident Evil 5. 

Hate that game.