• 147 results
#1 Posted by RedLoopz (136 posts) -

What is in your opinion, the worst videogame ending ever? I didn't play this game but I found this on YT and its like 10x more horrible than any videogame ending I have ever seen lol.

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNkRvcUn6VM

#2 Posted by stubbleman (306 posts) -

I thought this thread was supposed to be about the worst/most disappointing video game endings, not the fucking raddest and most hypest ever.

#3 Posted by leftie68 (214 posts) -

Oh man I remember watching this ending for the first time...gotta love it.

#4 Edited by falserelic (4941 posts) -

This was bad

And this was even worse. It made everything you tried to do in this game very pointless. Till this day I still hate these two endings. There was no such ''good ending'' in sight, just nothing but bullshit in its purist form

#5 Posted by believer258 (11035 posts) -

That is actually an amazing ending for all the wrong reasons.

For those of you to lazy to copy/paste the link:

Also I'm not one of those people who went nuts over Mass Effect 3's ending but it's the only thing I can really think of at the moment as "bad".

#6 Posted by Hunter5024 (5163 posts) -

Dragon Age 2's ending was pretty fuckin stupid.

#7 Posted by Veektarius (4133 posts) -

It's not actually an ending, but it's part of the climax of Oblivion: When the time comes to attack the massive oblivion portal, you're told to collect soldiers from across the Empire. You travel to every city, do your quests for their lords, and then ultimately have the soldiers for a grand coalition of men. Except what you really get is like 12 dudes to fight off the legions of hell. Could have used a little less Elder Scrolls and a little more Total War there, guys.

#8 Posted by Quarters (1547 posts) -

Fable III. GEEZ. That final battle was such a letdown for what was up until then a totally fine Fable game. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

#9 Edited by itsjustclark (26 posts) -

surprised nobody said sniper ghost warrior yet.

#10 Posted by dudeglove (7241 posts) -

LA Noire didn't make any goddamn sense, or at worse tried to ape films of the period, and it actually made me really angry. Truth be told that game (should have) ended seven hours earlier after you conclude the homicide desk with the Black Dahlia. But no it had to extend out into some bullshit property conspiracy and some flashback shitballs about the Korean War.

#11 Posted by vikingdeath1 (901 posts) -

Final Fantasy 13-2

Fuck that shit.... To be Continued....... oh yeah, that made the past 20 hours Completely worth the slog.

#12 Posted by froesti (101 posts) -

Fucking Clive Barkers Jericho. You fight this evil child thing FOR EVER in some really unexciting cave and then the other bad dude that you defeated earlier just swoops in and takes the boss away and you dont get ANY salvation or whatever. Im really upset that I played that game to the end. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3I4SJ0mlfQ FUCK THIS

#13 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

Bioshock Infinite's ending for cramming a bunch of exposition into the last 20 minutes of the game. Honestly, the last 20 minutes of anything, game, movie, book whatever should NEVER be the time to introduce new plot elements. At that point in the story, everything should be in place and should be simply wrapping up in a satisfyingly climactic way. If one insists on blatant exposition (AKA bad writing), it should at the very latest be revealed in Act 2.

Also it was disappointing for other more spoilery reasons, but the bad writing is what makes it straight up one of the worst endings I've seen.

#14 Posted by AlKusanagi (851 posts) -

Final Fantasy 7.

At the time, you go through a mind-blowing experience that literally changed the face of gaming, and the ending is DOGS FUCKING RUNNING!!!

#15 Edited by xenphilos (2 posts) -

I'm gonna be that guy.

Mass Effect 3, because the games were incredibly good and the original ME3 ending was such a WTF+letdown moment.

#16 Posted by Zeik (2103 posts) -

It's not outright "bad" like some of those endings, but I think Digital Devil Saga 2 was the most disappointed I've ever been with the end of a video game.

#17 Edited by AngriGhandi (679 posts) -

Bioshock Infinite.

...I should probably make clear that I don't think this is one of the worst endings, but it is one of the most disappointing to me, as it disregarded almost all of the setting- and character-building it had done up to that point for the sake of shocking twists, and left you with a sense that Elizabeth, Columbia, the Vox, and everything else were ultimately unimportant.

What's apparently more important is this big psychedelic mind fuck that's supposed to leave you feeling like something amazing happened, but on closer examination, actually renders the entire story pretty much irrelevant. (It's just like the ending of Lost! Goddammit.)

Anyway, it made me so angry that I wrote this super long satirical blog-type thing in basically, like, an hour, demonstrating what I didn't like about the ending via cheeky alternate example. (It's kind of funny. Probably.)

It was a really weird thing to do. But that ending, man. I didn't like it very much.

#18 Edited by 71Ranchero (2574 posts) -

Shenmue II - "To be continued"

#19 Edited by Discoman (148 posts) -

I remember when I was young I woke up one morning to find my brother had stayed up all night and finished Friday the 13th for the NES. This sad image is what you get for beating this frustrating game. Though to be fair, many endings back then really sucked.

#20 Edited by Video_Game_King (34578 posts) -

Might as well mention 999, for all the dumb twists that opened up major plot-holes without offering any sense of resolution AND jamming an unnecessary cliffhnager on top of that.

#21 Edited by HerbieBug (3838 posts) -

Halo 2 was pretty bad. It's a huge buildup to the conclusion, but instead of letting you play said conclusion it's all

Let's finish the fight...

...in the next game. ROLL CREDITS. T_____T

#22 Edited by MasterRain (253 posts) -

The ending to MGS2. Jack is just standing in a busy street, people not GIVING A FUCK about the ship that just crashed into the city, and snake and rose (who is completely forgiven and treated like she wasn't faking all along wtf) give Raiden some speech that makes no sense and roll credits. Why aren't people freaking out about either Arsenal gear crashing, the sword fight, or these clowns dressed in skin tight battle suits speaking in riddles. Also didn't snake dive after metal gear Ray, wtf happened to Ray, how'd he swim to shore and find Raiden!? The ending is pure unintelligible bullshit madness. I should mention I love the other metal gear solid games.

#23 Posted by MFJubes (12 posts) -

@herbiebug: Agreed. I was super jazzed to return to Earth and probably end the game with a rad-ass Warthog sequence, too. :(

But yeah, I gave up on Halo story after that.

#24 Posted by natetodamax (19135 posts) -

@masterrain: I think you're missing most of what makes MGS2's ending so amazing. The last hour or so (maybe a few, those ending cutscenes and boss fights are pretty long) is a complete 180 on all of your expectations in the best way. I don't think those relatively small things you mentioned defeat all of the greatness that came out of that, such as the revelation that the events of the second game almost mirror those of the first, that there is a crazy shadow organization trying to kickstart a new world order... I wish I could speak in greater detail about the ending, but it's been long enough since I've finished the game that I'm a bit hazy (not to mention that I went and played through 3, 4, and Peace Walker after) on the finer points of it. All I remember was loving every second of it.

#25 Posted by Zlimness (504 posts) -

@falserelic: Killing off the worst sidekick in gaming history and then turning into the FUCKING UNIVERSE is a bad ending? I think that ending almost makes up for everything that led up to that point.

Anyhow, the ending to ME3 has got to take this fine award. I can think of few games that built up so much for it's finale, just to let it end on such a whimper.

#26 Posted by TheHBK (5406 posts) -

The ending to MGS2. Jack is just standing in a busy street, people not GIVING A FUCK about the ship that just crashed into the city, and snake and rose (who is completely forgiven and treated like she wasn't faking all along wtf) give Raiden some speech that makes no sense and roll credits. Why aren't people freaking out about either Arsenal gear crashing, the sword fight, or these clowns dressed in skin tight battle suits speaking in riddles. Also didn't snake dive after metal gear Ray, wtf happened to Ray, how'd he swim to shore and find Raiden!? The ending is pure unintelligible bullshit madness. I should mention I love the other metal gear solid games.

Fuck.... I was gonna say this one too. I could not believe that they just kept talking and talking and talking. Giving some bullshit speech about kids and the future or some shit. Fucking Kojima has to be the worst storyteller in modern times. I really really think he just puts batshit crazy stuff in there for no reason and tries to fit a story around it.

#27 Edited by Coafi (1433 posts) -
#28 Posted by AmatureIdiot (980 posts) -

I know its a cliche, but Mass Effect 3. Boiling down the fate of the universe to 3 options, which come out of literally nowhere and are explained in a couple of sentences is a pretty horrible way of ending a trilogy.

Oh, and the new Syndicate felt like it ended an act to early.

#29 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Alone in the dark had such a bad ending. I even played it enough to get an S rank in it. BLAH!

#30 Edited by falserelic (4941 posts) -

@zlimness said:

@falserelic: Killing off the worst sidekick in gaming history and then turning into the FUCKING UNIVERSE is a bad ending? I think that ending almost makes up for everything that led up to that point.

Maybe for you, but I felt pure rage....

#31 Posted by Nightriff (4334 posts) -

@hunter5024 said:

Dragon Age 2's ending was pretty fuckin stupid.

Yup, this is the game I continue to go to for worst and disappointment when I think of games. The fact that you fight BOTH faction leaders at the end still pisses me off. Why have me pick a side of an argument when I'm just going to kill everyone regardless. Bad, bad, bad.

#32 Edited by ToTheNines (497 posts) -

Indigo Prophecy for the ps2, also known as Fahrenheit in murica. I don't really remember the ending. All I remember is the game getting really really dumb towards the end and being disappointing, since the game starts out strong story wise, as strong as game stories and voice acting goes from games back then.

#33 Posted by jimmyfenix (3678 posts) -

PSI OPS Thanks giantbomb for that Load last save video.

Also this WITH MY MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNDDDDDD!!

Special Thanks Cletus.

#34 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6067 posts) -

@herbiebug said:

Halo 2 was pretty bad. It's a huge buildup to the conclusion, but instead of letting you play said conclusion it's all

That's your fault for thinking it's an ending to begin with. The game was increasing its scale in many degrees for the sake of a third entry because of the internal and external impact the series it provided.

#35 Edited by falserelic (4941 posts) -

@jimmyfenix: I wish a sequel was made for that game, it was so aswome.

#36 Edited by Silvergun (297 posts) -

@herbiebug: Yeah, that would be mine too. I mean, they built that up for a KILLER last level, and I remember just looking at my TV in dismay as the credits started rolling. I don't remember where I read it, but apparently that was exactly what Bungie had intended to do, but they ran out of time and had to cut it there. What a bummer.

#37 Posted by bkbroiler (1585 posts) -

For me, personally, probably Halo 2. That game didn't even do To Be Continued right.

As much as I love the game, Anachronox has other one of those "we ran out of money, this is where the end is now" with no sequel and a pretty shitty boss fight at the end.

I also second Indigo Prophecy for a general shitty last half.

Can't think of anything else right now, but I feel like there should be more.

#38 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1592 posts) -

Hmmm...I don't know about it being the worst of all time, but for me, the worst of the generation would have to be Darksiders II. Really, the whole story in that game sucked and was a complete waste of the set-up the original's ending, but 2's ending was was the epitome of disappointment. Not only was the last boss embarrassingly bad and the ending completely abrupt, but it did absolutely nothing to propel the story in any way. The whole game was a waste and now it's likely we'll never see another game in the series again.

#39 Posted by Nicked (237 posts) -

Not objectively the "worst", but the AC: Brotherhood ending really made me feel ripped off. Loved the game as a whole but the end just felt like it was goading me to buy the next one, and so it has been my first and last AC game. I don't have too much of a problem with yearly releases, that's not a big deal to me, I just want a complete story in a video game. There are fair ways to set up sequels without a total cliffhanger.

#40 Edited by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4307 posts) -

That..... Ending was amazing

#41 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2149 posts) -

Radiata Stories I remember having a shit ending (at least one of them)

#42 Posted by BaneFireLord (2877 posts) -

Assassin's Creed III. While I like the core experience much more than the internet at large, those last few missions and the "resolution" of Desmond's arc were absolute shite.

#43 Posted by WickedFather (1713 posts) -

Does this include Anticlimatic? Yesterday I finished Call of Duty The Big Red One on the xbox Supremacy and the ending was the equivalent of you being asked to sharpen a pencil in the sharpener across the way. I seriously was jarred even though I knew the end was near. It puts Gears of War 2 on a "so you think you had it bad" plinth.

#44 Edited by bigjeffrey (4153 posts) -

@herbiebug said:

Bungie calls Halo 2 campaign "disastrous flaming turd of failure".

__

#45 Edited by HerbieBug (3838 posts) -

@herbiebug said:

That's your fault for thinking it's an ending to begin with. The game was increasing its scale in many degrees for the sake of a third entry because of the internal and external impact the series it provided.

What?

#46 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3325 posts) -

I know its a cliche, but Mass Effect 3. Boiling down the fate of the universe to 3 options, which come out of literally nowhere and are explained in a couple of sentences is a pretty horrible way of ending a trilogy.

#47 Posted by Strangestories (105 posts) -

I swear there have been at least 5 threads on this topic since ME3 was released.

Mine would be Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Just run through the Imperial City and watch Martin fight Dagon (or however you spell it). The big thing was, "Whoa, Martin-dragon."

#48 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@nightriff: Because everyone in that city needed purging. The head mage directly told the necromancer motherkiller that he should continue his 'research' and Meredith was crazy because of the idol, and also that city made everyone fucking crazy.

@vikingdeath1: that ending was amazing, the fuck you talking about

#49 Posted by Abendlaender (2596 posts) -

I'm ust going to say: Sniper Elite Warrior and then leave before anybody asks me why I finished that game

#50 Posted by LeYcH (216 posts) -

Pong had a pretty shit ending to be honest.

How have no one here said AC3 yet?