The Zombie Game Experiment

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NoDeath

So games like LittleBigPlanet, Spore and the upcoming Mod Nation Racers all have something in common. They relied on the community to help build content for the game. Well, I'd like to introduce you to what is possibly the logical extreme of that idea. The Zombie Game Experiment. Its, as you can probably infer from what I've already said, an experiment in community game development. The main idea is that a small development team is funded and aided by the community to develop a game. By donating $10 to the fund, you get full access to the development forums where you can pitch and discuss ideas and you can view the wiki containing all the development documents for the game and finally, a free copy of the game once its done, oh and you get your name in the credits. There are a number of higher tiers of benefits for higher donations that include stuff like getting access to the alpha and beta builds of the game and having a custom drawn avatar next to your name in the credits

I think the core idea is great. As a member of the video game community with development aspirations I couldn't be more exited to simply get an up close view of the development process, much less being able to actually participate. That said, I am not without my reservations. The main one being related to the 'elevator pitch' for the game which basically goes as follows:

A cartoony zombie themed dual joystick shooter

Yeah......  Other than that, there is the perception that the developers are just being lazy by sliding both development costs and time onto the shoulders of the community as well as worries of the quality of the design ideas thrown in by a group with no prior design experience. 

Despite my worries on the matter, I can easily say they have my 10 bucks and I wish them all the best. 

What are your thoughts?