• 58 results
#1 Posted by Hyuzen (427 posts) -

Hotline Miami 2, The Stanely Parable, and now... Thief! According to their own website, due to consumer complaints the developers are going to be removing any and all references to Quick Time Events.

razorstealth: You mentioned QTEs in the last Take 5. How are you planning to implement these so that they don't break immersion?

Valerie: Oh, I want to answer that one! I was hoping someone would ask. Easy, we're not implementing them. To begin with, there were very few instances of QTEs in the game; in fact there was only one in that whole hour-long E3 demo. However, given the strong reactions it evoked in the press and the community, it was an easy decision to do away with them entirely. So we're not doing it. No quick time.

Honestly, I am shocked at the willingness of these video game 'developers' to cave to any and all censorship demands from the choice few who deem QTEs to be offensive.

Will the PC police never quit?

#2 Posted by jimmyfenix (3678 posts) -

However, given the strong reactions it evoked in the press

huh.

#3 Posted by Abendlaender (2596 posts) -

Is this one of these "Troll threads" I've heard so much about?

#4 Posted by MildMolasses (3193 posts) -

I don't think you understand what censorship implies

#5 Edited by seamuspaxman (52 posts) -

Thief*

#6 Posted by Flappy (2032 posts) -

I mean, listen, we're talking about censorship, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about censorship. Not a game.

#7 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2071 posts) -

@hyuzen said:

Hotline Miami 2, The Stanely Parable, and now... Thief! According to their own website, due to consumer complaints the developers are going to be removing any and all references to Quick Time Events.

razorstealth: You mentioned QTEs in the last Take 5. How are you planning to implement these so that they don't break immersion?

Valerie: Oh, I want to answer that one! I was hoping someone would ask. Easy, we're not implementing them. To begin with, there were very few instances of QTEs in the game; in fact there was only one in that whole hour-long E3 demo. However, given the strong reactions it evoked in the press and the community, it was an easy decision to do away with them entirely. So we're not doing it. No quick time.

Honestly, I am shocked at the willingness of these video game 'developers' to cave to any and all censorship demands from the choice few who deem QTEs to be offensive.

Do you honestly want quick time events?

Also, this isn't censorship

#8 Edited by AMyggen (1978 posts) -

Haha, this OP is amazing! I like the satire.

#9 Posted by von_wemberg (127 posts) -

Aw maan, no quick time? How am I supposed to watch those .MOV files now?

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (13832 posts) -

This is going over a lot of people's heads and that's fantastic.

#11 Posted by AlKusanagi (851 posts) -

Removing a horrible gameplay component is not censorship. It's brilliant.

#12 Posted by Cretaceous_Bob (460 posts) -

QTEs are racist.

#13 Posted by BisonHero (5658 posts) -

0/10, wasn't funny, would not read again.

#14 Posted by Hyuzen (427 posts) -
#15 Edited by TheHT (10255 posts) -

much satire.

#16 Posted by EXTomar (4120 posts) -

I could have had a witty comment but CENSORED and REDACTED.

#17 Posted by MildMolasses (3193 posts) -

No, I got what he's doing, I just don't think it works well

#18 Edited by Yummylee (20542 posts) -

0/10, wasn't funny, would not read again.

#19 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

No QTEs, what is this Nazi Germany?

#20 Posted by MisterMouse (3531 posts) -

@flappy: heheheheheehehehe I got where you are coming from.

#21 Edited by MightyMayorMike (422 posts) -

Who do these so called "developers" think they are "developing" their game!

You got me in here talking about censorship. You lost me getting fired up over a dev deciding to move away from a well-worn game mechanic.

#22 Posted by JasonR86 (9366 posts) -

I think we need a refresher course on what 'censorship' truly means.

#23 Posted by hinderk (682 posts) -

I agree with the point I think your trying to make, but don't really think this is that funny.

#24 Edited by Darji (5295 posts) -

@amyggen said:

Haha, this OP is amazing! I like the satire.

It is as awesome as comparing boobs with a penis or showing Snake in a bra.

#25 Posted by ZolRoyce (415 posts) -

I give this thread an The Onion/10 for it's amount of satire and going over of peoples heads.

#26 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3642 posts) -

@hyuzen said:

No matter what you're attempting with this post, it's stupid.

#27 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

I'm not sure I get the joke.

Or maybe I do and it's as dumb as I think it is.

#28 Posted by McGhee (6091 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

No, I got what he's doing, I just don't think it works well

Yep. It doesn't work because this is the internet and the internet is packed full of idiots. Poe's Law in action.

#29 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2810 posts) -

It's sarcasm, it's just not.. very.. funny.

#30 Posted by JohnTunoku (88 posts) -

A false equivalency to mock a relevant problem. We are truly in the next gen of threads now.

#31 Edited by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

@flappy: NOT A GAME!

WE TALKIN BOUT QTES.

I believe this thread exists to mock me and people like me, but it has failed to victimize me.

#32 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

Well, QTEs or no QTEs, Thief is shaping up to be a horrible game.

#33 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1783 posts) -

@flappy: NOT A GAME!

WE TALKIN BOUT QTES.

I believe this thread exists to mock me and people like me, but it has failed to victimize me.

You're not trying hard enough to get offended, then!

#34 Edited by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

For something to be satire, the author has to be making a point subversive to the one that is explicitly stated.

I'm not seeing any sort of point here at all...

#35 Posted by Willin (1269 posts) -

I completely forgot this game existed.

#36 Edited by CornBREDX (4454 posts) -

#37 Edited by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

For something to be satire, the author has to be making a point subversive to the one that is explicitly stated.

I'm not seeing any sort of point here at all...

The satire is on people who care about censorship. By creating an absurd reason to be concerned about censorship, the OP casts a pall on those who actually care about censorship or social pressure to conform to popular norms. Like how one would create an absurd version of an X if they wanted to mock those who are X.

Oh, I'm offended (I guess), just not victimized.

#38 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1783 posts) -

@artelinarose said:

You're not trying hard enough to make it about you, then!

#39 Edited by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

@artelinarose said:

@brodehouse said:

@artelinarose said:

You're not trying hard enough to make it about you, then!

Aren't I, though?

Actually yeah, I am making this about me. I need to start corralling my narcissism.

#40 Edited by Jeust (10334 posts) -

Definition of censorship taken from The Free Dictionary:

censorship - deleting parts of publications or correspondence or theatrical performances

1. censoring
  2. deletion - the act of deleting something written or printed
  3. Bowdlerism - censorship in the form of prudish expurgation
  4. Comstockery - censorship because of perceived obscenity or immorality

You can call it censorship basing in the first part of the definition, "deleting parts of publications or correspondence or theatrical performances", although unless it was dropped because of the contents in the sequence, it doesn't correspond to "the act of deleting something written or printed", a "prudish expurgation" or "because of perceived obscenity or immorality".

So you can call it censorship, although I believe your use of the word is forced, and on a personal note, I hate QTEs and think it is one of the worse gameplay elements ever created in the history of games!

#41 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4281 posts) -

OP got me. Good job OP. Worth a chuckle at least.

#42 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (4423 posts) -

Sounds good to me.

#43 Edited by Korwin (2720 posts) -

Ummm...

#44 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

Yo, I think if this went over your head then you might have brain damage.

#45 Posted by Pr1mus (3512 posts) -

Hey at least you tried.

#46 Posted by Nictel (2312 posts) -

This ain't censorship. This is racism!

#47 Edited by TruthTellah (7632 posts) -

I'm not overly bothered by this kind of jerk-ish post outside of the fact that you spelled it "Theif" and used two exclamation points in the title. But I think it's worth considering that this is more likely to just antagonize people making misguided threads like this than convince them to not make them.

#48 Edited by Canteu (2814 posts) -

Holy shit. Poe's in full effect here. Good going GB, keep it classy.

#49 Edited by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

Booooo!

File:S1e8 tomato throwing.gif

#50 Edited by AngriGhandi (679 posts) -

I feel like this should have just been a poll.

A. I get it

B. That's not censorship

C. Booo