• 67 results
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm trying really hard not to get too caught up in the Game Of The Year discussion again.

I have a feeling nobody appreciates me spraying my opinion everywhere like a feral tom. There were a lot of good games this year. A lot. To say that one is better than the others is fairly redundant. Starcraft 2 is an excellent game. (Opinion! See, I told you that you wouldn't like it.) I spent weeks playing Starcraft 2, watching tutorials, watching live GSL tournaments, learning build orders, the full deal. I was hooked, in a very real 5am kind of way. So, how does that stack up against Mass Effect 2, a game which, on arrival, I played for 18 hours without stopping except to eat and pee. Not at the same time... OK, maybe once at the same time. Have you ever tried eating a Mars Bar whilst taking a shit? It's harder than you might think... 

No Caption Provided
Then there's Red Dead Redemption, a game which I didn't obsess over but can fully appreciate, in a pretentious kind of way. What about Halo Reach? That was a cool game, right? ....no? No, I didn't think so. 

And the entire affair is completely undermined

by the fact that the game I spent most time playing this year, despite my best efforts and intentions, is World Of Warcraft. Did you see that coming? Because I sure as fuck didn't.  

Then there's the multitude of sneaky games that people forget about. When you remind them they will say things like "Oh, yeah, Enslaved... that was pretty cool..." and then that's the end of that. Enslaved is an example; Please substitute for "Gran Turismo 5", "Kirby's Epic Yarn", "Super Mario Galaxy 2", or "Need For Speed Hot Pursuit" as is appropriate. All great games, no doubt. And we haven't even got started on Indie games. Limbo? Super Meat Boy? Fuck, we could be here for weeks.

No Caption Provided

Oh, and Civilization V. I'm not speaking to Civilization V right now. That filthy whore.

So I decided not to get involved in Game Of The Year stuff. There are so many great games out this year that you should play, I don't think it's fair to push one out as some kind of "Winner". That would be like comparing Eagles and Triangles.  

(Triangles are always better than Eagles. End of discussion.) 

We all know which are the best games that have come out this year and we all know which ones would suit us best as individuals. I'm going to stop because this is starting to sound depressingly like a "WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?" blog. However I think it's important to point out that the best thing about Game Of The Year discussions are the discussions. The actual decision is pretty secondary. You want to stick up for Metro 2033? Good luck to you. You want to create a bullet-point list explaining why Poker Night At The Inventory is the best thing since sliced bread? My baguette disagrees! 

No Caption Provided

Let's talk about it, giantbomb. 

You go first.

Thanks For Reading 
Love Sweep
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm trying really hard not to get too caught up in the Game Of The Year discussion again.

I have a feeling nobody appreciates me spraying my opinion everywhere like a feral tom. There were a lot of good games this year. A lot. To say that one is better than the others is fairly redundant. Starcraft 2 is an excellent game. (Opinion! See, I told you that you wouldn't like it.) I spent weeks playing Starcraft 2, watching tutorials, watching live GSL tournaments, learning build orders, the full deal. I was hooked, in a very real 5am kind of way. So, how does that stack up against Mass Effect 2, a game which, on arrival, I played for 18 hours without stopping except to eat and pee. Not at the same time... OK, maybe once at the same time. Have you ever tried eating a Mars Bar whilst taking a shit? It's harder than you might think... 

No Caption Provided
Then there's Red Dead Redemption, a game which I didn't obsess over but can fully appreciate, in a pretentious kind of way. What about Halo Reach? That was a cool game, right? ....no? No, I didn't think so. 

And the entire affair is completely undermined

by the fact that the game I spent most time playing this year, despite my best efforts and intentions, is World Of Warcraft. Did you see that coming? Because I sure as fuck didn't.  

Then there's the multitude of sneaky games that people forget about. When you remind them they will say things like "Oh, yeah, Enslaved... that was pretty cool..." and then that's the end of that. Enslaved is an example; Please substitute for "Gran Turismo 5", "Kirby's Epic Yarn", "Super Mario Galaxy 2", or "Need For Speed Hot Pursuit" as is appropriate. All great games, no doubt. And we haven't even got started on Indie games. Limbo? Super Meat Boy? Fuck, we could be here for weeks.

No Caption Provided

Oh, and Civilization V. I'm not speaking to Civilization V right now. That filthy whore.

So I decided not to get involved in Game Of The Year stuff. There are so many great games out this year that you should play, I don't think it's fair to push one out as some kind of "Winner". That would be like comparing Eagles and Triangles.  

(Triangles are always better than Eagles. End of discussion.) 

We all know which are the best games that have come out this year and we all know which ones would suit us best as individuals. I'm going to stop because this is starting to sound depressingly like a "WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?" blog. However I think it's important to point out that the best thing about Game Of The Year discussions are the discussions. The actual decision is pretty secondary. You want to stick up for Metro 2033? Good luck to you. You want to create a bullet-point list explaining why Poker Night At The Inventory is the best thing since sliced bread? My baguette disagrees! 

No Caption Provided

Let's talk about it, giantbomb. 

You go first.

Thanks For Reading 
Love Sweep
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

There are plenty of good and excellent games this year.
But in my opinion there is really no one title that clearly rises above the rest this year. And even the best ones have plenty of issues.
Also eating a mars bar while taking a shit is easy, I do it all the time just not usually a mars bar but a lion bar.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Hamz

This is all I have to say.
 This is all I have to say.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Hamz: YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO SAY THAT AT ALL, YOU BASTARD!!
MoistJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By MoistJohn

While I do think it's fun obsessing about which is a better game, You're kinda right. I, like you, pretty much didn't stop playing ME2. unlike you, I also didn't stop playing RDR. (almost wrote DDR...). 
Civ V, Assassin's Creed Bro, Skate 3, Lara Croft, etc. All amazing games, but how the fuck do you compare Civ 5 with Skate 3 ? So you're right. 
Marshmellow Peeps GOTY is THIS.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is a game that people are forgetting? It got a place in my GOTY blog that I've already written.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Hunkulese

It's no different this year than last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By phrosnite

All who finished Mass Effect 2 in less than 25 hours played it wrong!!!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By EpicSteve

This whole year was "meh" for me. But if I'm going to pick a specific game, it's Mass Effect 2.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By SBYM

I think you're forgetting a little game called Super Metroid. Thought so. THOUGHT SO. Game of the year 2010.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Video_Game_King: You fucking conformist! 

@Hunkulese: Yeah, but this year I'm making a conscientious effort not to make an official list ;)
captainfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By captainfish

No More Heroes 2 was also really good. Damn this game had a lot of good years.

Yea, I'm sticking to that.

JayDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JayDubya

Like last year, when they sort of tied between Batman and Uncharted 2 this year has no clear winners. 
But then again there's not something as the 'best game'. 
Personal taste is such a deciding factor. No love for StarCraft 2, Red Dead or Halo from me for example.  

Personally, Mass Effect 2 gets my vote. Played through it numerous times and I've put it in my 360 again last week.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Sweep: 

Huh? How? I went through all the games I played this year, and that's pretty much the best one.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Jimbo
@Sweep said:
"Have you ever tried eating a Mars Bar whilst taking a shit? It's harder than you might think... "
Probably because of that fence you're sat on, Sweepzerland!
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Video_Game_King: I'M SICK OF YOU AND YOUR SHIT. GET OUT! GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!!
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Sweep: 

*comes down to America just to say this*

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

My game of the year list consists of all the games I didn't play. If it was all the games I did play it would look like this. 

Halo: Reach 
Starcraft II 7-hour trial
Civilization V Demo 
Super Meat Boy 
Costume Quest  
LIMBO Trial 
Monday Night Combat Trial 
Deathspank Trial 
Dead Rising 2: Case Zero Trial 
Shank trial 
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light trial 
Transformers: War for Cybertron demo

Here's the game of the year list of games I didn't play in no particular order. 
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood 
Mass Effect 2 
Starcraft 2 
Super Mario Galaxy 2 
Red Dead Redemption 
Call of Duty: Black Ops 
Just Cause 2 
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX 
Goldeneye 007 
Singularity 
Alpha Protocol 
Disney Epic Mickey 
NBA Jam 
DKCountry Returns 
Vanquish 
Comic Jumper  
Metroid: Other M 
Super Street Fighter IV 

I should've bought more games this year.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By CptChiken
@Hamz: Thats fucking scary.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Video_Game_King: ...you do realise I'm English, right? You knew that. Right? 

So what do you mean *comes down to america* ??
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ProfessorEss

I got a fairly standard list, boring stuff, but:

Tho it's not my game of the year the game that really stands out to me is Darksiders .

Here's a new IP that despite limited marketing, a shaky economy, an iffy name, getting hammered with accusations of it being a half-assed God of War and Zelda rip-off, and being released with a fairly serious technical issue (that screen-tearing really was something else) still managed to pull itself out of total darkness based purely on the merits of it's game itself.

Sure it wasn't Arkham Asylum on either a critical or financial level, but considering the situation I'm both surprised and impressed that this game didn't fall directly on it's face Tony Hawk shred-style.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Sweep: 

Yes, I realize that you're British; I just thought that after the War of 1812, America legally owned Britain. You can't fault me for history.
GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GhostlyEnigma
@Sweep: Enough with the Halo: Reach bashing. Don't like it? Great, there's nothing wrong with that. But give me a break with all the cheap stabs it's been getting. It's like this game, or the series in general, hasn't been stabbed to death already. And this is coming from a guy who's been Halo'd out for the moment.
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Yeah, this year was a pretty great game for years. I alone can think of three or four games right off the top of my head that I believe are instant classic, even though a couple of them are flawed in a lot of ways (cough, Fallout New Vegas and Deadly Premonition, cough). 

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Baillie
@Sweep: You're so damn silly, LIMBO is obvious game of the year.
mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mikeeegeee
@Sweep: @c0l0nelp0c0rn1:  

I'm inclined to agree with both of you in that we were really inundated with high quality releases this year. So much so that my list of games I have yet to play is gigantic (Civ V, Alan Wake, Vanquish, Mario Galaxy 2, Epic Kirby, Singularity, Mass Effect 2, Darksiders, and on and on). 

But as to what I did play extensively (Red Dead, Super fucking Meat Boy, Limbo,  Assassin's Creed II, Dead Space, Halo: Reach, Battlefield Bad Company 2), I'm not inclined to pick one over the other. All very different, high quality experiences. You know what? If you don't terribly mind, I'll offer some brief opinions on your blog post, Sweep. 

Limbo provided the best atmosphere of any game I played this year, 
Bad Company 2 provided the best FPS multiplayer experience, 
Reach provided the best multiplayer suite, 
and Red Dead provided  the best western-themed game ever. 
Super Meat Boy also probably deserves some kind of recognition for level design and sheer dickishness.
moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By moelarrycurly

I kind of feel like you're right.  Last year Uncharted 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum were fairly obvious choices that everyone could agree on.  Same thing was true back in 2008, with GTA IV and MGS4 (and Fallout 3 would have been up there too if people had had more time to play it).  This year is a complete mess as far as what is the "best" game.  I didn't play Mass Effect 2 or StarCraft II, so I almost feel like my opinion is voided right out of the gate.  That being said, I feel like Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2, or Heavy Rain is my "game of the year," whatever the hell that means.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Mass Effect 2 just wants to be inside you^^

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Peace Walker is my GOTY.suck it haters :V

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By floodiastus

Mass Effect 2 is the GOTY imho, there were alot of killer games this year. But nothing completely sucked me in like ME2 did... not even RDR

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jayzilla
@Sweep said:
"

I have a feeling nobody appreciates me spraying my opinion everywhere like a feral tom....SNIP"  

Except there it is, all over my GB. Thanks man.
fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fripplebubby

In my opinion, Mass Effect 2 beats out Starcraft II mainly due to the latter's use of space truckers, and the former's use of space bitches.  

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gabriel

There is only Zuul.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Jayzilla said:
" @Sweep said:
"

I have a feeling nobody appreciates me spraying my opinion everywhere like a feral tom....SNIP"  
 Except there it is, all over my GB. Thanks man. "
You're welcome. You might want to wash your pillow case, incidentally.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I thought the first half of the year was pretty weak, but the fall made up for it.

My favorite game of the year has been Super Meat Boy though. So good.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By ZeroCast

Have you ever thought, why does it have to be a "list"? 

As you so eloquently put it in another prodigious blog, it's hard to pinpoint a single game with no regard to all the trials and retributions that we went through playing say:  Super Meat Boy or Starcraft II. You simply can't. 

I can though make a collection of games that I feel were the Best of The Year, with no particular order. That way I can create a conclusive effort to minimize my top 10 most Enjoyed/Beloved/ "Insert Awesome Adjective Here" Games of the Year. I can rely on my experience with those genres and with a little bit of icing on top, I think those ten are going to be hard to arrange in a single place but hey, that's the beauty of squeezing your Top 10 Games of The Year, isn't it? :D

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather talk about the failed promise of so many games this year. ME2, included, to a certain extent (though, it IS one of my favourite games at this point). 

Edit: Blog ahoy!

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By halberdierv2

i found this year to be quite mentally fatiguing, with so many good games coming out... honestly, my brain is too exhaused from all of this to choose a GOTY.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vonocourt

I have no interest in picking one game that stands above others as the peak of 2010.

I do have interest in picking out my favorite one I played from 2010.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#40  Edited By sarahsdad

A big part of it for me this year was how much I wanted to get back to a game when I wasn't playing it, or how much I wanted to play it again after finishing. 
That's part of what really sunk RDR for example; I started out having a blast, and then near the end I felt like it was more of a chore to finish it. My flip side were games like ME:2, and AC: Brotherhood, where after finishing the main story, I've still been interested to play more of the game.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By Winternet

I think that the GOTYs are one of the most interesting past of the videogames history. All the discussion is fascinating to me. @Sweep: Did you choose a GOTY or what? Be a man and say it. 

Edit: Either this year it's fairly simple and it's Red Dead or they will be forever trying to come up with either ME2 and AC Brotherhood. 

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikeeegeee: Super Meat Boy gets the award for best game that hates you. Dead Rising 2 gets second place. 

Also, let me know how Singularity is. I'm a huge fan of Raven Software.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@Winternet said:
" I think that the GOTYs are one of the most interesting past of the videogames history. All the discussion is fascinating to me. @Sweep: Did you choose a GOTY or what? Be a man and say it.  Edit: Either this year it's fairly simple and it's Red Dead or they will be forever trying to come up with either ME2 and AC Brotherhood.  "
Naw I don't think I need to. I love Mass Effect 2 and I had a blast playing Starcraft 2. If I was told I could only play one game this year it would be between those two. But I don't have to make that decision, fortunately, so I'm not going to :)
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#44  Edited By ZombiePie

I didn't actually play that many games. I was busy getting my on campus experience for my teaching credentials.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#45  Edited By Claude

I bought and played 8 video games that were released this year, so my overall opinion probably has its shortcomings. I can honestly say that Mass Effect 2 was a great game. I played it on my Xbox 360 and the day after I finished the story I bought it for my PC and started playing it again. That surprised me, but it goes to show how much I enjoyed that game.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#46  Edited By mrhankey
@Sweep: 

I will stick up for METRO 2033. I will.
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#47  Edited By Oni

Easy. Cataclysm > all.

But then I think of Heavy Rain, and Alan Wake, and Mass Effect 2, and Starcraft 2, and Civ 5, and SSF4, and God of War 3, and...

Yeah, so many awesome games this year. That's not even half of 'em.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#48  Edited By Little_Socrates

This is totally what makes GiantBomb's GOTY deliberations the best GOTY awards on the net. It's not just about the winner, it's about how you got there, and it's why I'm doing a deliberation with my friend to do our GOTY lists. I can't honestly tell you what even MY Top Ten is in order. There are SO MANY GAMES that I loved this year that it's really absurd. Many years, it's easy to pick a #1 game. Last year, NOTHING stood up to Assassin's Creed II. The year before that, it was entirely about Fallout 3. For me, 2007 was Year of the BioShock. But this year...man, it's ENTIRELY about the deliberations that get me to that point, because for once every game is almost equally amazing.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Doctorchimp
@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: You bought Halo Reach over RDR, ME2, and Super Street Fighter IV... 

That's criminal...
RubyTimeBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RubyTimeBomb

I can see the point of the whole "comparing Eagles and Triangles" argument, but there are plenty of other mediums where we do the same thing... music has the grammys (as regrettable as that is), and movies have the oscars (slightly less regrettable). Half the fun of choosing a GOTY is putting games of completely different styles head to head. The other half of the fun is arguing about it.