Posted by yeah_write (219 posts) -

Like anyone who finished Bioshock Infinite this past week, I can't get the experience out of my head. That story's gonna be knocking around in there for weeks. To help me cope with this new brain worm, I thought I'd make some posters. Check em out! You can pick up super large prints from my Society6 page if you wanna buy em. Or you can just stare at them here, whatevs. I went with the paper texture and torn edges because Elizabeth opens up tears...get it? Tears...torn paper...you got it.

#1 Posted by TheArchitect (5 posts) -

I like them. Very slick. I might even consider buying one if it were just that--one poster and not three posters. Try combining it into a single space and see what that does for the effect.

#2 Posted by awesomeusername (4185 posts) -

I like the lighthouse & city but $20 for a paper I tack to my wall and stare at for a couple seconds every now and then? Nah.

#3 Edited by Shortstuff925 (8 posts) -

Love them. Want them. Need them. Need to find wall space for them...

#4 Posted by Beforet (2922 posts) -

I really like the effect of combining the blue with the red for the third poster.

#5 Posted by yeah_write (219 posts) -

@beforet: Thanks! Thought I'd stick with the American theme of the game - hence red, white and blue.

@shortstuff925: Glad you like them, thanks!

@awesomeusername: Yeah the second two are my fav as well. As far as pricing goes, Society6 takes care of material, printing and shipping costs for artists. I make about 8 bucks in profit on most of those prints. So I'm not trying to get rich here, I have a day job. I do illustration and design on the side and occasionally people ask for prints of my work. I make them available through Society6 because it's easier for the buyer and seller. That's actually a very conservative price compared to commission work I do. Anyway, just thought I'd explain the pricing, I wanted to share the posters and provide an outlet in case someone wanted one, I did NOT want to come in here trying to sell shit. Apologies if it appeared that way.

@thearchitect: Make a forth that combines all three? Hmm. I'll have to spend some time thinking about how to make it work, but it's a good idea. I'll see what I can come up with.

#6 Posted by JohnLocke (256 posts) -

Wow, some great work there.

#7 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3395 posts) -

Olly Moss is probably shaking his head right about now.

#8 Posted by Letter11 (29 posts) -

Great work man, these are fantastic. I think the city is the most technically impressive, ( I really like the dripping paint effect) but for some reason the lighthouse is my favorite. Maybe because it reminds me of a certain captivating scene from the aforementioned game.

But yeah, well done.

I'm not an artist of any kind but I'm curious, how did you make them?

#9 Posted by yeah_write (219 posts) -

@letter11: Glad you like them. I made them in Photoshop, some would use Illustrator, but I'm more comfortable in PS. I used some high-res paper textures I found online, blended them together, and changed the colors. I did the same for the tears, using high-res images of torn paper. As for the city, lighthouse and paper dolls, I just drew those. For the city I used parts of the London skyline and parts of the Chicago skyline for reference. The font was Century Gothic, my favorite font (also the font of the original Bioshock).

#10 Posted by Fattony12000 (7416 posts) -

Very, very tempting.

#11 Edited by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

Amazing. Might need to use these somehow.

#12 Edited by RonGalaxy (3170 posts) -

I'd Rather have some of the propaganda posters used in the game. And I'm sick and tired of these minimalist posters that take influence from saul bass. He drew his shit by hand, people (including the typography), not photoshopped a silhouette of something and downloaded a cool font. Also, this one doesn't do it, but why do people intentionally dirty up there poster designs? It's so fucking dumb (here's a reference)

http://kotaku.com/the-most-gorgeous-minimalist-gaming-posters-youll-see-470835956

It's a lie, they aren't gorgeous

#13 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

I'd Rather have some of the propaganda posters used in the game. And I'm sick and tired of these minimalist posters that take influence from saul bass. He drew his shit by hand, people (including the typography), not photoshopped a silhouette of something and downloaded a cool font. Also, this one doesn't do it, but why do people intentionally dirty up there poster designs? It's so fucking dumb (here's a reference)

http://kotaku.com/the-most-gorgeous-minimalist-gaming-posters-youll-see-470835956

It's a lie, they aren't gorgeous

You seem like a fun guy.

Obvious sarcasm aside, there are better ways to express your opinion. It doesn't require a dickish tirade.

#14 Posted by RonGalaxy (3170 posts) -

@mariachimacabre: Yeah, I didn't realize "yeah_write" (the author of the post) was the person who made the posters. I probably wouldn't have said anything if I wasn't an ass and read the post. Still, saul bass deserves more credit than he's getting when it comes to minimalist design (something he created, no questions asked). This poster actually directly rips from one of his, in how its a a picture of a poster that's starting to peel off a wall (this poster is burning rather than peeling, but it's a similar idea). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exodus_poster.jpg

Also, every time I see a minimalist posters, people go on a tirade about olly moss, which pisses me off even more because he's getting credit for being the originator of this style.

#15 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

@mariachimacabre: Yeah, I didn't realize "yeah_write" (the author of the post) was the person who made the posters. I probably wouldn't have said anything if I wasn't an ass and read the post. Still, saul bass deserves more credit than he's getting when it comes to minimalist design (something he created, no questions asked). This poster actually directly rips from one of his, in how its a a picture of a poster that's starting to peel off a wall (this poster is burning rather than peeling, but it's a similar idea). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Exodus_poster.jpg

Also, every time I see a minimalist posters, people go on a tirade about olly moss, which pisses me off even more because he's getting credit for being the originator of this style.

I agree (and I'm sure Olly Moss himself would agree) that Bass deserves far more credit than he gets but don't take it out on the OP.

#16 Posted by yeah_write (219 posts) -

@naru_joe93: I am a writer, illustrator and designer (in that order), and I've always been clear about where my influences come from. I'm well aware of Bass and Moss, and agree that their style (I think Moss has refined what Bass started) is getting imitated to death (I too scoffed at those rather lazy posters featured on Kotaku), but I did not reference them when creating these. The design for my posters popped into my head during my morning run the day after beating the game. I saw them just as I made them. The fact that they look like something Bass or Moss might do is just a testament to their influence in the design world. Their style has seeped into the collective unconscious. Also, I leaned toward minimalism because I'm more of an illustrator than designer. I work with a lot of amazing designers at my day job (I write marketing and ad copy) and I've seen first hand the difference between illustration composition and good design. So the fewer elements to muck up, the better for me :)

Anyway, just thought I'd throw in some background info there. Like I said, I just did this for fun, not to claim some style as my own and get rich. Sometimes when a story gets in my head, creating something inspired by it helps me move on to something else.

#17 Edited by RonGalaxy (3170 posts) -

@yeah_write: Thanks for the response, I appreciate you giving this info, as it makes me appreciate these pieces more. Also, you being an ad copywriter reminds/excites me that mad men is coming back to night :O

Anyway, sorry I came off dickish. Those kotaku picks were still fresh in my mind and I took my frustration out in the wrong place.

#18 Edited by yeah_write (219 posts) -

@naru_joe93: No worries man. If you can't handle the occasional dickish response to your work, you shouldn't be creating things for a living. Also, everyone brings up Don Draper when I tell them what I do. While I do work at an amazing company that hands out beer every Friday at 4:30, that's the extent of my at work alcohol consumption. I also wear t-shirts most of the time. Heh, so slick.

#19 Posted by Mister_V (1286 posts) -

Wow these are great. The Lighthouse one it now the wallpaper on my phone.

#20 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2161 posts) -

Norman Chan would eat these up.

#21 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

@yeah_write: I have purchased one of your fine posters, good sir. The lighthouse one, specifically.

Thanks for creating something so good looking; I'll take a picture of it when I have it in person in case anyone in here is curious about how it looks physically (with an iPhone, mind, but better than pure abstraction).

#22 Edited by yeah_write (219 posts) -

@mirado: Thanks! I have a few prints from Society6 myself (like this one). They do good work. Vibrant colors and excellent paper quality. Can't wait to see it hanging up somewhere!

#23 Edited by MetalGearSunny (6992 posts) -

Wow. That's fucking awesome! Great job!

#24 Posted by Mirado (993 posts) -

Haven't gotten around to hanging it as I may be moving soon, but here's the finished product:

Due to the lighting and the fact that I used an iPhone, it looks a bit darker than it actually is, but even with that said it's a bit darker than the original images (at least on my monitor, although it is a color calibrated IPS panel, sooo...), but overall I'm quite happy with it. I got the framing and matting through American Frame (they do custom, ready to assemble frames for fairly cheap, all told it was $35 for the frame/matte), and while it isn't anything spectacular (just a basic black metal frame), it does the job and for a lot cheaper than getting something custom framed at a store.

Really enjoy the artwork, @yeah_write. Once I figure out what my living situation is going to be like, you can be sure that it'll have a spot on the wall above my PC.