• 93 results
#1 Edited by LackingSaint (1856 posts) -

Blockade & Rainmaker, the studios responsible for the Ratchet & Clank movie in development, have now also gained the license for a Sly Cooper movie, and just released a trailer today. Check it out below:

Personally I think it looks sort of dire; the art-style has gone from stylized and interesting to this horrible semi-realistic thing, and it also kind of peeves me that they replaced Sly's voice actor despite the old VA doing a perfect job with the voice in previous games. What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by Generic_username (635 posts) -

Oh god that new art is awful

#3 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1651 posts) -

What makes me super sad is that I loved that series too. I really hope it ends up being good.

#4 Posted by SMTDante89 (2582 posts) -

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I do hope that somehow they'll change their mind and make everyone look much closer to their videogame counterparts instead of making them look semi-realistic.

#5 Posted by TheCitizenKaneOfThings (29 posts) -

I really hate it when furry characters in animated movies have every hair on their bodies animated. It just looks creepy.

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

God, I would love for this to be good but yeah, his voice is all wrong and the art is bad. The cel-shaded art in the games is one of the best things about that series.

#7 Posted by FengShuiGod (1492 posts) -

I think the art is ok. It's the writing and voice acting that are so terrible.

#8 Posted by wchigo (568 posts) -

I've never really played the Sly series, so I wouldn't know about the VA thing. The art... well, Bentley looks mostly okay? I agree that something seems off about Sly, and Murray in my opinion.

Well, let's hope it's at least at least a B-movie as opposed to SF the movie...

#9 Edited by Tom_omb (429 posts) -

It seems tonally in line with the games, but I can't say the broad characterizations were what made them great. I really like the games, but Bentley and Murray were always kind of annoying. A movie featuring these characters isn't compelling to me, but maybe we'll see more games if this movie is successful.

#10 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1651 posts) -

@tom_omb said:

It seems tonally in line with the games, but I can't say the broad characterizations were what made them great. I really like the games, but Bentley and Murray were always kind of annoying. A movie featuring these characters isn't compelling to me, but maybe we'll see more games if this movie is successful.

Sly was the coolest. He was, well, sly

#11 Posted by KickahaOta (145 posts) -

I think it's fine. I tentatively endorse this event and/or product.

#12 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1651 posts) -

Maybe I'm just being too cynical. I'll enjoy it when it comes out, cause why not?

#13 Posted by Duecenage (226 posts) -

When you said "dire" I was expecting it to be bad, not just... different. I have no reverence for the games and thought this looked alright. Hate Murray's design, he's just so unappealing here. Bentley and Sly looked great. Happy to see more Rainmaker in the movie biz.

#14 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1651 posts) -

I think it has a much better chance then most game-movies because it's animated.

#15 Posted by Random45 (1284 posts) -

I thought the trailer was pretty cute. I've never played the games, and I don't know what the art style is supposed to look like, or whether it's close to the source material, but I think kids will love it.

#16 Posted by Damodar (1504 posts) -

@wchigo said:

I've never really played the Sly series, so I wouldn't know about the VA thing. The art... well, Bentley looks mostly okay? I agree that something seems off about Sly, and Murray in my opinion.

Well, let's hope it's at least at least a B-movie as opposed to SF the movie...

Street Fighter The Movie is the absolute epitome of a B-movie.

#17 Edited by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

Something just occured to me. Aren't Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper the first movie adaptations (discounting direct-to-DVD crap like Advent Children and Resident Evil Degeneration) that actually use the same characters and voice actors as the games? That's pretty awesome.

The art is indeed a bit weird but the movie comes out in 2 years so the trailer might not represent the final look.

#18 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1651 posts) -

You know what I was thinking. Aren't the people who played these games going to be in their mid-20's like me?

I don't know if I could go see this movie in the theater (making the assumption it is) without feeling like a creeper.

#19 Edited by SideburnGuru (54 posts) -

You know what I was thinking. Aren't the people who played these games going to be in their mid-20's like me?

I don't know if I could go see this movie in the theater (making the assumption it is) without feeling like a creeper.

Hell, I'm 19. I played those games when I was younger. I wouldn't think it'd be too wrong.

I went into the Muppets movie alone. I also went in to see Wreck It Ralph alone. You should be fine, it's really not that bad.

#20 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2175 posts) -

I've never thought the writing in the Sly series was ever that great but its certainly better than this garbage.

#21 Posted by Wampa1 (744 posts) -

@alwaysbebombing: We can all go together, that won't look weird at all! Just a dozen adults to see a kids film at night, totally normal... right?

#22 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1651 posts) -

@wampa1 said:

@alwaysbebombing: We can all go together, that won't look weird at all! Just a dozen adults to see a kids film at night, totally normal... right?

I'm not going to say I haven't done this before. So, it's a possibility.

#23 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4890 posts) -

@SideburnGuru said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

Hell, I'm 19. I played those games when I was younger. I wouldn't think it'd be too wrong.

I went into the Muppets movie alone. I also went in to see Wreck It Ralph alone. You should be fine, it's really not that bad.

You're still (in the states at least) a child. Once you're visually identifiable as an adult these things become much harder to justify.

#24 Edited by RazielCuts (2987 posts) -

I think this looks pretty alright, they captured the characters and personality of the thing. They obviously recognise the cell shaded/ 'comic book' look of the games hence the intro still frame shots but I don't think you can get away with having a cell shaded look in this day and age for what seems to be a pretty big budget, production wise, looking thing.

My only slight criticsim would be Sly looks a bit too racoon-y, as it were, where as Murray and Bentley have adapted to the more realistic artstyle and something seems a bit, old man Splinter from TMNT or something with Sly. I guess because he's more hairy than they are so having him be so furry is a bit jarring at first but I dunno, I got over it pretty quick.

Ratchet and Clank looked fine too. People like to complain about things. 2016 though? Man, that's some distant future ish right there.

#25 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3997 posts) -

What looks so awful about this?

Amazing they made this into a movie that looks pretty faithful.

Something just occured to me. Aren't Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper the first movie adaptations (discounting direct-to-DVD crap like Advent Children and Resident Evil Degeneration) that actually use the same characters and voice actors as the games? That's pretty awesome.

The art is indeed a bit weird but the movie comes out in 2 years so the trailer might not represent the final look.

Yeah I agree. I think people need to remember how fucked videogame movies have been... taking some time for them to get it. Sort of like how videogames based on movies were usually the worst.

I bet the art doesn't change. I get that people like the cell shaded look but this isn't too bad.

#26 Edited by Pie (7112 posts) -

Looks about right

#27 Posted by hermes (1610 posts) -

I don't know. I don't have a lot of reverence for the source material (the Sly Collection is still in my backlog), but this doesn't seems so bad. I am not a fan of Bentley's redesign (there is something off about the shape of his head), but the rest seems pretty in line.

I believe this is from the guys that made TMNT; in which case, they have my vote. That movie was a lot better than it had any right to be.

#28 Posted by LackingSaint (1856 posts) -

In retrospect I made it seem like i'm more upset about this than I really am; I know it's early days with making the movie, i'm just personally really put off by the change of art-style and Sly's new VA. The writing and tone seem absolutely solid, and i'll probably see this in theatres.

#29 Edited by Omega (836 posts) -

Bentley looks okay.

Sly looks like a weasel.

What the fuck did they do to Murray? He's too angular or something. Round features guys, he's a hippo not a crocodile.

#30 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3997 posts) -

In retrospect I made it seem like i'm more upset about this than I really am; I know it's early days with making the movie, i'm just personally really put off by the change of art-style and Sly's new VA. The writing and tone seem absolutely solid, and i'll probably see this in theatres.

I get that it could be better probably, or truer to the source material with the art. I just think it was a short trailer to fit in any story or anything (I bet none of that is even in the movie). Like I said, pretty faithful to me for a videogame movie.

Almost every adaptation has foremost radically departed from the source material, that's always been the biggest disappointment for me. They even fucked up Max Payne, which seemed pretty simple to do a solid job on if you can make an action movie and you follow the games' plot.

So this is refreshing. Maybe it won't be great but at least looks respectful of the property and that's a positive.

#31 Edited by notdavid (842 posts) -

I liked it. Sue me.

I also think the games are only kind of okay.

#32 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

Bently looks pretty good.

Sly looks okay.

Murray looks like The Amazing Bulk

#33 Posted by Sammo21 (3552 posts) -

For this being CG I think it looks pretty OK. I am not crazy about the Murray redesign but I can live with it.

#34 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1651 posts) -

You should just animate it.

#35 Edited by Trilogy (2690 posts) -

So...I really enjoyed the sly cooper games on ps2, but I don't know how invested I was in the story or characters. It's been a while, but my gut says that sly cooper without the gameplay isn't something that I would be that interested in. I think the visual style of the CG is fine. Yea, it would of been cool to see it made with in CG with the cell shading, or a form of it via computer trickery, to get your authentic sly cooper look, but it doesn't look bad. I guess it just sort of looks like a kids movie, which makes total sense. Not something I'm immediately that interested in seeing, and 2016 might as well be 3016 as far as I'm concerned.

#36 Edited by CornBREDX (6041 posts) -

I'm a big fan of the Sly games. I love what they did and I love what the game was. The first one will always be my favorite of the bunch as it had the best focus and story.

That being said, as movie adaptations go this looks fine. Murray looks weird and ya it's not cell shaded, but it's a movie so it wont look like the games. The game looked like they did out of necessity. In a movie they can take a bit more risk with the style. What I feel is important is maintaining the tone, and I feel this teaser nails it very well.

The teaser isn't perfect but I'm willing to bet this is something thrown together in maybe a month or so. None of it is final, as it's a teaser. They still have time to iron out the details. I do really hope they adjust the way Murray looks, because it looks weird, but other than that I am interested in where this is going more so than the Ratchet and Clank film.

I'm sure they didn't use the same voice actor for logistical or some other reasons behind the scenes and if this is the final voice I think it sounds fine. It could definitely be worse. They could throw out the tone of the game completely and get famous people. How would you feel about that?

#37 Posted by SideburnGuru (54 posts) -

@SideburnGuru said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

You're still (in the states at least) a child. Once you're visually identifiable as an adult these things become much harder to justify.

I'm a grown child..

Regardless, I understand that much. I still don't see the care. If you have a love for something like gaming, or are just interested in a movie, I'd say go for it. It's not like you're going to an amusement park and riding on the kiddie rides. You're just going to enjoy a form of entertainment. Wear some gaming gear, or something like that. Sure it'd be understandable.

#38 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1651 posts) -

@SideburnGuru: Well I do have a lot of video game stuff that I never get a chance to wear. That's a good plan.

#39 Edited by AlecOfTheWest (290 posts) -

When's the Jak and Daxter movie going to be announced?

#40 Posted by MormonWarrior (2665 posts) -

Sony's really desperate, huh?

#41 Edited by SideburnGuru (54 posts) -

@alwaysbebombing said:

@SideburnGuru: Well I do have a lot of video game stuff that I never get a chance to wear. That's a good plan.

Then there ya go. That, and I'm sure if up there in age, hardcore movie critics can go into kid movies and judge them as if they're supposed to be the next Titanic, then you should be fine regardless.

#42 Edited by GaspoweR (3516 posts) -

The animation is giving me an Adventures of Tintin kind of vibe and I actually enjoyed that movie. I think the animation is fine. The voice acting though isn't really clicking with me though but maybe it was because of the writing at spots. Overall, I thought the trailer looked pretty good.

#43 Posted by thellama042 (111 posts) -

The art could use some work, but the it looks like it could be ok. I agree on the VA for Sly, though.

#44 Edited by Evilsbane (4743 posts) -

Looked alright to me.

#45 Edited by phantomzxro (1583 posts) -

I say its too soon to judge it looks alright to me. The art style i can agree is a bit off, i don't like the weird realistic look on sly. I would prefer a more animated cartoon look to it on the line of Coudy with a chance of meat ball or wall-E. But the humor and actual animations looked on point to me.

#46 Posted by Boom_goes_the_dynamite (755 posts) -

I see nothing wrong here, it is simply a teaser trailer and so much can change between now and 2016. I honestly really like that Sony is making movies for Rachet and Clank, as well as Sly now, I think they could work. So really there is no reason to be up in arms about this.

#47 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1219 posts) -

So...like the whole first minute is a Reservoir Dogs reference right?

#48 Edited by Castiel (2742 posts) -

Well that looks like shite!

The art-style is especially bad. But to be honest even though I do like the series, I don't think I really care about a movie. If this looked good, in the sense that it was more true to the games, that would be nice but I still wouldn't be that interested in seing a movie.

If this gets good reviews I might end up seing it at some point.

#49 Posted by Sergio (2254 posts) -

The art style is okay. It's pretty much what I expected from a CG-animated movie these days.

#50 Posted by Krataur (410 posts) -

I love the Sly games. This looks better than I was expecting. They've got the general feel and style of the world down. It's the character designs that need work. Bentley looks fine. Sly looks off, but I'd keep his current looks if it meant getting his actual VA back. Murray look terrifying, though. And where the fuck are his scarf and goggles?! He just looks like a scary, tough bruiser here, not the lovable oaf with goggles he's supposed to be.

Also, 2016 seems really far away for this.