Things I finished... 6 monthly check-in.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Shindig

Yeah, this was intended to be a monthly thing but the last couple of months have felt a little slim so I've decided to throw in a little progress report about my backlog in general and focus on some of the things I want checked off before 2015 closes out. A recap:

The Finished

• Far Cry 2
  • Far Cry 4
  • Infamous: First Light
  • Metroid Prime
  • King Oddball Ends the World
  • Transistor
  • Valiant Hearts: The Great War
  • DmC: Definitive Edition
  • Dark Souls
  • The Unfinished Swan
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order

The latter two being new entries I haven't wrote about so I'll sum these up in the next couple of paragraphs. Unfinished Swan is a short and sweet storybook jaunt that's a really good way to fill a Sunday afternoon. It displays some neat mechanics which are all briefly touched upon. They don't outstay their welcome and I can't honestly say I was sold short either. And Terry Gilliam is in it.

Wolfenstein is raw fun. I took the challenge out of things by charging through it on easy but I don't feel like I've done myself a disservice. That game has some heart and its earned its rightful place as one of last year's bright moments.

The Ones I'm Done With

Effectively the games I put time into and then decided I'd had enough.

• Velocity 2X
  • Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition
  • Black
  • Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Now, Guacamelee suffered due to the way I play games now. I used to be thorough but I've kinda broken that habit and, as a result, I got two bosses from the end and felt weak and underprepared. Its a game I'm likely to return to but don't be surprised if I don't. A nice Metroidvania with some emphasis on a decent combat engine, although it loves to wall you off in arenas.

Black's a victim of time. After Wolfenstein I fancied returning to it to get another FPS off the list. I was at the Asylum entrance and, let me tell you, PS2 particle effects on a 32" LCD might as well render me blind. I think I've advanced further in that game but my memory is conveniently fuzzy and, as a super short game I should tie that loose end up. The longer I wait, though, the worse it'll get.

Peace Walker should've been right up my street. The sneaking feels great but the bosses almost feel like they're out of one person's capabilities. I gave it another shot and eventually retired at the same spot I always do. The second tank battle is nonsense. I'll catch up with the cutscenes and leave it at that. The black sheep of the family must remain uneaten.

The Outstanding

So we come to the remainder. Replaying Black has taught me there will be some games on this list that just won't be pleasant to return to after such a hiatus. Certain games will simply not get finished due to the sheer challenge of them. Nonetheless, this is what remains:

• 5 Resident Evils
  • 5 Final Fantasies
  • 3 Princes of Persia
  • 3 Souls games
  • 3 Clover / Platinum efforts
  • 3 Rockstar developed / published games that aren't Grand Theft Auto
  • 2 Hitmen
  • 2 Gears of War
  • 2 Legends of Zelda (And 1 that isn't)
  • 2 Splinter Cells
  • 2 Ninja Gaiden Sigmas
  • 2 Dual-Joystick shooters
  • The quintessential Castlevania
  • The most R-Type you can have
  • from the makers of APB ...
  • That most recent X-Com (which should be first off this list now that failure is canon)
  • Free Playstation stuff by way of apology
  • Free Playstation stuff by way of subscription
  • Dan's favourite mainline Mario.
  • Not a Capcom remake
  • Bungie's third-person something-or-other
  • Nobody messes with Adam We.
  • The Batman of Mordor
  • Metroid Prime 2.
  • Shinobi's last hurrah
  • Deus Ex

Yeah, I ran out of cool ideas. Anyway, that's about 50 in total. Some of which are too old or difficult to properly embrace. Regardless, there's some landmarks on there I need to focus on. I'm reinstalling Final Fantasy VII as we speak. And I've just realised I wiped my last save. Joy! Midgar for the 100th time, guys and girls!

SEND HELP!