Things I learned over the weekend - Monday, 8 November 2010

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By buzz_clik

Yes, I missed out on writing last week's entry. But I'm pretty sure I learned things then, just as a I did over the last couple of days. Stuff like...

I officially prefer Carlsberg over Beck's these days.

After mowing my front and back lawns on a warm Australian spring afternoon, I felt like I should have a beer or two as I fired up the Xbox. I had a couple of choices in Beck's and Carlsberg, and figured I'd have one of each. I used to be a real Beck's boy, only occasionally having a Carlsberg if it was offered (and more often than not having Peroni instead of either). I actually have no idea why the Carlsberg was in my fridge, but I'm glad it was. Just a really nice, refreshing and drinkable beer.

Vanquish Challenge Mode is breathtakingly badass.

Eat hot pew pew death, you Russian robot menace, you!
I put my Fable III play on hold for a couple of hours to get all mecha-shooty with Vanquish. It hasn't escaped my attention that Platinum's sci-fi actioner is getting some good press recently, and the more I read the more I wanted to truncate my Fable III experience to get medieval on some robots. After playing the first Act, I decided to give the freshly unlocked Challenge Mode a go. Holy snap, does that get the adrenaline flowing! It's a pretty full-tilt assault, with relentless waves of mechanical enemies all very keen to end you. I was sitting fairly close to the screen so I felt right in it, and when I finally died I exhaled heavily and rocked back on the ottoman, mind and senses all skittish but sated from the experience. I'm hung over today, so tonight will probably see Fable III back in the disc tray, but I'm still keen to return to the frantic thrills that make Vanquish already seem like great value for money.

The Real Cancun uses Comic Sans for its end credits.

I came home drunk from a mate's birthday thing yesterday, and passed out on the couch. When I woke up this morning at around 2 in the AM I made myself some noodles, a large cup of weak lemon cordial and switched the telly on. After flicking around a bit, I saw the last couple of minutes of The Real Cancun before the credits rolled. I've never seen the actual film, but if its essence is represented by the font used in the end credits, I'm glad I was unconscious. I don't know if it's an ironic we-all-laugh-at- Comic-Sans decision or not, but either way it's a wince-inducing decision.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By buzz_clik

Yes, I missed out on writing last week's entry. But I'm pretty sure I learned things then, just as a I did over the last couple of days. Stuff like...

I officially prefer Carlsberg over Beck's these days.

After mowing my front and back lawns on a warm Australian spring afternoon, I felt like I should have a beer or two as I fired up the Xbox. I had a couple of choices in Beck's and Carlsberg, and figured I'd have one of each. I used to be a real Beck's boy, only occasionally having a Carlsberg if it was offered (and more often than not having Peroni instead of either). I actually have no idea why the Carlsberg was in my fridge, but I'm glad it was. Just a really nice, refreshing and drinkable beer.

Vanquish Challenge Mode is breathtakingly badass.

I put my Fable III play on hold for a couple of hours to get all mecha-shooty with Vanquish. It hasn't escaped my attention that Platinum's sci-fi actioner is getting some good press recently, and the more I read the more I wanted to truncate my Fable III experience to get medieval on some robots. After playing the first Act, I decided to give the freshly unlocked Challenge Mode a go. Holy snap, does that get the adrenaline flowing! It's a pretty full-tilt assault, with relentless waves of mechanical enemies all very keen to end you. I was sitting fairly close to the screen so I felt right in it, and when I finally died I exhaled heavily and rocked back on the ottoman, mind and senses all skittish but sated from the experience. I'm hung over today, so tonight will probably see Fable III back in the disc tray, but I'm still keen to return to the frantic thrills that make Vanquish already seem like great value for money.

The Real Cancun uses Comic Sans for its end credits.

I came home drunk from a mate's birthday thing yesterday, and passed out on the couch. When I woke up this morning at around 2 in the AM I made myself some noodles, a large cup of weak lemon cordial and switched the telly on. After flicking around a bit, I saw the last couple of minutes of The Real Cancun before the credits rolled. I've never seen the actual film, but if its essence is represented by the font used in the end credits, I'm glad I was unconscious. I don't know if it's an ironic we-all-laugh-at- Comic-Sans decision or not, but either way it's a wince-inducing decision.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By turboman

I remember seeing The Real Cancun when I was about 10 or so.... 

...it was awesome

Laughlin_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Laughlin_12

This just proves I gotta get some Vanquish in my life. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

Avatar premiered on HBO. Having never seen it, I caught the last two hours. I cried at the end. That pissed me off because the characters sucked. Sucked the tears right out of me. I need to watch the beginning now.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By buzz_clik
@Claude: I may or may not have welled up a little at the end of Avatar, depending on who's asking and how many drugs they've pumped into me. All up, I really enjoyed Avatar (saw it in 3D) but it's not the mind-bending classic-of-all-classics that some people wanted it to be.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Red12b

Carlsburg is nice, Do you get Steinlager Pure? That's quite nice on a hot Friday arvo, Getting back into summer I'm going to start switching from Whisky to Bacardi Superior on rocks with Cherry's goddamnit I am looking forward to it!  

What about some Belgian Beers, Duvel and the like? 

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By buzz_clik
@Red12b: I do like Belgian beers, but if I'm going to have one it'd probably be Hoegaarden. That stuff is mad delicious.
Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By SuicidalSnowman

Carlsberg Extra Cold is a legendary.   Exactly as you described it, fresh, drinkable, crisp.

If you like that, you might actually enjoy some of the American lagers we have.  My english friends were rabid about Coors Light when I was there.  Also, similar to Carlsberg in that crisp, refreshing category is Sapporo Gold.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#9  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

The idea that anyone would use comic sans without a hint of irony in their credits kind of blows my mind. Vanquish sounds like a great game but I wish it hadn't been so buried under the heaps of titles that came out around the same time, it sounds like Platinum Games really have something with Vanquish and they definitely had something Bayonetta. I want to see more encouragement for them to keep making games.