Things you vehemently disagree with the Giant Bomb crew on?

Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lamashtu

Respect to these fine folks, and their wisdom in an increasingly insane gaming industry is valuable, but I'm interested in hearing about the points people here actually disagree with the Giant Bomb boys.   

To get us started, some of my thoughts... 

1. Their dislike of the Splinter Cell series: 
It seems to me that the Giant Bomb crew take a dislike to the Splinter Cell series for what they perceive to be the binary succeed/fail, trial and error formula that characterized the first four games. This strikes me a bit odd, since platformers seem to take that formula to its absolute extreme (either get through the level or fall into flaming pit filled with giant scorpions) yet no one seems to knock them for that. It also strikes me that they think much more highly of the MGS series, though most of the people I've met who absolutely adore Metal Gear Solid love playing the true stealth-action metagame of European Extreme, game over on detection, and knock-out and tranqs only (incidentally the same people I've met who love Splinter Cell in equal measure). 

2. Them knocking on RTSes for becoming too complicated: 
I think back to Jeff's sentiments of Silent Service: "Most kids aren't totally stupid to not be able to pick up on the nuances of a game." Given that 10% of an RTS is based on knowledge of the mechanics and the other 90% on feint and psychology, as long as they're able to pick up on games like Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter, they could be at least respectable players at RTSes. 

But, to balance all that, I share Ryan's sentiments; I've zero love for the Sonic series of games.

What about your thoughts?
Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Th3_James

Their entitlement to their own opinions.

shadowblazer19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By shadowblazer19

I disagreed with Brad on his thought of FF13 in the podcast but 1 he hasnt gotten through much of the game and 2 I fear some of my fanboyism shines around the Final Fantasy series but once again everyone has their own opinions :)

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I agree with most things they say, except "Anime is for jerks".  I'm sure there's several things I disagree with but this is the only one that pops up in my mind.

Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Feser

I disagree with the belief that this website is a giant bomb.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Turambar
@Th3_James said:
" Their entitlement to their own opinions. "
And so does the OP.  Nothing wrong with voicing disagreements when he recognizes both sides are just presenting opinions.

As for me, Ryan's "It's anime, so it's bad" coupled with his self admission of not actually having watched more than a small amount of anime makes always makes me laugh a little.
OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Anime is for jerks.  Also douches.

Now if you will excuse me I need to watch HD episodes of DBZ...

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64
@xobballox said:
" I agree with most things they say, except "Anime is for jerks". "
Brad likes anime.  We was caught wearing a Naruto shirt in the Let's Tap Unboxening video.  Vinny has noted being a fan of DBZ.
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Everything. That's why I spend my Wednesday mornings yelling outside their office for hours after listening to the podcast. Nice office though.....

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By neoepoch

I like Manga, which I know they hate.
Also Star Wars is awesome. I'm not going to knock Star Trek because that is cool too. But the strong hate for Star Wars kinda irks me everytime I hear it.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TwoOneFive

overall the guys are cool.  
everyone has opinions so everyone will occasionally disagree, even vehemently, with one of them. 

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Capum15
@Lamashtu said:
" 2. Them knocking on RTSes for becoming too complicated: I think back to Jeff's sentiments of Silent Service: "Most kids aren't totally stupid to not be able to pick up on the nuances of a game." Given that 10% of an RTS is based on knowledge of the mechanics and the other 90% on feint and psychology, as long as they're able to pick up on games like Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter, they could be at least respectable players at RTSes.  But, to balance all that, I share Ryan's sentiments; I've zero love for the Sonic series of games.  What about your thoughts? "
I love RTS games, especially Company of Heroes. I totally wouldn't mind being the RTS-Guy like Mike/Drew (or is it Dave?).
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By rjayb89

I dislike it when Vinny isn't on the podcast.  He always steps down for guests, which is pretty cool of him, but it should be Brad.

RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JJOR64 said:
" @xobballox said:
" I agree with most things they say, except "Anime is for jerks". "
Brad likes anime.  We was caught wearing a Naruto shirt in the Let's Tap Unboxening video.  Vinny has noted being a fan of DBZ. "
Yeah, I think he replied in the comments saying it was merely a shirt he bought because he could.  Kind of like bad video games shirts.  I'm mainly talking about Jeff though :P
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neoepoch said:
" I like Manga, which I know they hate. Also Star Wars is awesome. I'm not going to knock Star Trek because that is cool too. But the strong hate for Star Wars kinda irks me everytime I hear it. "
OH!  This too, I don't like Star Trek all that much, but I love Star Wars.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Th3_James said:

" Their entitlement to their own opinions. "

I agree with this. However, Jeff is not entitled to his opinion that Seinfeld is not good.

@xobballox:

Straight fact, son.
  Straight fact, son.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CL60

Demon's Souls.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By animateria

No Caption Provided
I'm against murder.
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#20  Edited By ImperiousRix

That Star Wars is stupid. 
Surely, Star Wars has been privy to many stupid things, sure.  What long-running franchise isn't? 
Doesn't outweigh the impact and influence of the original trilogy, the visual splendor of Genndy Tartakovsky's animated Clone Wars (not the CGI show, although that isn't bad in certain storylines), and some of the great video game fodder produced. 
Besides that, only the occasional odd statement and review. 
Agree to disagree, that's what I say.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude

I'm here to disagree most of the time, that's my job as an internet nobody. I even use profane language to get my juvenile opinion out there. I love my goddamn Wii, you hear that, and Move looks fucking cool as hell.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Milkman

Jeff and Ryan like some really, really bad movies.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Nasar7

BlazBlue

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fbomb

That Demon's Souls' is too difficult, and un-fun as a result. It's not difficult.... it's somewhat challenging, and incredibly rewarding and fun.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By DystopiaX

That Star Wars is stupid. Jeff's hate of Halo 2 (second best in the series so far)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That PC gaming is now in league with the best, now that matchmaking is a common.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Skald

They seem to think that LittleBigPlanet is over and done with, a novelty and nothing more. To that end, I disagree.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Milkman
@DystopiaX said:
" Jeff's hate of Halo 2 (second best in the series so far) "
I don't think Jeff hates Halo 2 at all.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheFreeMan
@Claude said:
"I love my goddamn Wii, you hear that"
I concur with this, heartily and mightily!
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By raviolisumo

I agree with Jeff in saying that most anime is pure garbage. I also despise anime culture and everything surrounding it, so maybe its just me or maybe I just hate japanophiles. I've never given it much thought because its not worth it.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Vinny_Says

the splinter cell thing, other than that those guys are hecka cool. Would be funny if they all dug conviction and talked about it on the podcast.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By toowalrus

Most everything Ryan says, actually. That guy is wrong about a lot... Helicopters are fucking awesome, I want one more than anything.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33  Edited By Undeadpool
@Claude:  
You forgot comparing whoever disagrees with you to Hitler! 
I agree with them on most everything, it's one of the reasons I love this site so much, but I do have to take umbrage with their dissing of the Star Wars Trilogy. Yeah, the prequels sucked shit...that's why I pretend they're not real. It's like how I don't acknowledge there ever was a Blade 3.
Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Capum15
@TooWalrus said:
" Helicopters are fucking awesome, I want one more than anything. "
Oh, this too. I love helicopters. I love blowing them up too, but I also love using them or seeing them exploding "the enemy", whomever that may be.

Mercenaries 2 has great choppers that you can hijack or blow up, and I absolutely love both flying and shooting them down in GTA IV.

But in some cases, they suck and I can see why there's hate for 'em.
EchoForge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By EchoForge

I've always thought (well, for two and a half months) that it was a bit strange to have the Silent Hill   remake/re-imagining as their Wii Game of the Year, considering, if I recall how the podcast went, that Brad was the only one who finished (or maybe even played it) and the rest of the guys had to be spoiled the ending off air before being sold on it. I'm not too sure about recognizing a game that 3/4 haven't played in this way (again, if I do have all that right). I'm more of a fan of the idea that a game has to at least be played thoroughly enough or not be considered at all. Reminds me of the Shane Bettenhausen story where he refused to consider KOTOR as GOTY 2003 because he hadn't played it all.   

It is all fun and games and stupidity obviously, so no big deal. I'm happy to disagree with their thoughts and opinions, as long as they present their thoughts well.    

/not an anime guy either 
//nor a Star Trek guy  
///do love me some Splinter Cell

////and slashies!

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#36  Edited By yetiantics

hmm, recently.... When the guys said Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) was bad.
Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37  Edited By Deusoma

I couldn't possibly disagree more with Jeff's statement that split-screen multiplayer is obsolete and dead. I even wrote a blog dealie about it. Short version: I will pick the emotional connection I feel to the player sitting next to me on the couch over the nonexistent connection to the online player on the other end of my earphone any day of the week. 

Also: Transformers and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen are two of my all-time favourite movies, right up there with movies the Bomb Squad cares about, like RoboCop or Predator

But I do generally agree with them. For example, I am point-for-point with them that modern RTSes move too quickly, I much prefer spending twenty minutes just building my base into an untouchable fortress and my army into an unstoppable legion of doom over the speedy matches that are over in ten minutes. I just can't keep up. 

's why I didn't touch any of the Command & Conquer games after Red Alert 2.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By thatfrood

Their immediate dismissal/quaint regard of Ukrainian/Russian games. And their opinion that rts's are overly complicated.

but whatever, I still listen to em. and like em.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By Dalai

I don't feel like angering the entire staff right now. Plus I don't think I have 10 hours to list my disagreements.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ArchScabby

Basically Ryan's taste in anything.  Movies, Games, whatever.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bhhawks78

That flower and heavy rain are anything but utter crap

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DCFGS3

I think they have an overly console based approach, not enough pc stuff is done, and what is is usually not taken seriously or just goes over their heads. I don't want to offend the guys but I just get the feeling that they're 'dumb' gamers. They like the cheap thrills and flashing colours, and can recognise quality (like Heavy rain), but at the same time aren't willing to go further into a game than just face value.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FunExplosions

@Turambar said:

" @Th3_James said:

" Their entitlement to their own opinions. "
And so does the OP."
None of this makes any sense.

And I don't disagree with them on many things. Jeff's Bionic Commando score was just plain wrong (and yes, I played, beat, and returned the game... because of his review, nonetheless). And although I love most elements of science fiction, I have never seen a full episode of Star Trek, and have zero desire to. Can't think of much else. Hmm... I guess Dave's fascination with Dragon Age is a little on the extreme side. I love the game and all, but he seems to see greatness that isn't there.

I agree with them on disliking a lot of what Star Wars is and has become. The original trilogy was good enough, at least for all the minds it opened, and for the roads it paved in the film industry. I don't have to state why the latest three suck.

I agree with Ryan's insanely hilarious declaration of, "Well, it's anime... so it sucks." I laughed so hard when I heard that. There are a couple exceptions, of course, but shows like DBZ, any of those weird/lame Adult Swim weekend animes, and Naruto (I don't get it. Isn't that a kids show?) are just colorful demonstrations of bad acting, childish scripting, pretentious dialogue, -- and strangely enough -- sometimes, just plain boring TV.
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deusoma said:
" I couldn't possibly disagree more with Jeff's statement that split-screen multiplayer is obsolete and dead. I even wrote a blog dealie about it. Short version: I will pick the emotional connection I feel to the player sitting next to me on the couch over the nonexistent connection to the online player on the other end of my earphone any day of the week. 

Also: Transformers and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen are two of my all-time favourite movies, right up there with movies the Bomb Squad cares about, like RoboCop or Predator

But I do generally agree with them. For example, I am point-for-point with them that modern RTSes move too quickly, I much prefer spending twenty minutes just building my base into an untouchable fortress and my army into an unstoppable legion of doom over the speedy matches that are over in ten minutes. I just can't keep up. 

's why I didn't touch any of the Command & Conquer games after Red Alert 2. "
I don't remember him saying split-screen is obsolete, but if he did, I strongly disagree as well.  It's much more fun to hang out with a real life friend and be jackasses right beside each other than over the internet.  The Transformer movies were alright, kind of fun to watch for explosions, but I didn't like 'em all that much, especially not the second.
canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By canucks23

The only problem i have with the crew is how 360 oriented Jeff and Ryan are. It seems like they make Brad do all the ps3 game reviews, and when they get a ps3 game sent for review they'll go out and get the 360 one at launch to compare, but if they get a 360 one they wont bother getting the ps3 one.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Claude
@Dalai said:
" I don't feel like angering the entire staff right now. Plus I don't think I have 10 hours to list my disagreements. "
Don't listen to this Lama, he killed Dave in his alternate history blog... and at a young age.
Gorikka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Gorikka
@neoepoch:
@ImperiousRix:
I have to take my headphones off whenever Jeff starts talking about Star Wars.
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By captain_clayman

i disagree with some of the things they say  
but  what i do agree with, is that anime is definitely FOR JERKS

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have to say I disagree most with the Star Wars hate. Granted, the prequel trilogy was utter garbage and they haven't made a decent game since Jedi Academy, but you can't hate a cultural icon just because of the greedy direction Lucas took it in. A lot of the expanded universe that takes place after the original trilogy is rather good, and I think more games need to explore those storylines. One thing that the franchise doesn't need, however, is another awful TFU game.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50  Edited By Yukoei

FF13.