Things you vehemently disagree with the Giant Bomb crew on?

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#151  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

1. I never wanted to Beat a splinter cell game, ever...

2. I like playing RTS but all current RTS suck, RTSers are complicated. Starcraft 1.5 is a joke...

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#152  Edited By Gabriel

Sometimes I get the since they really like their 360's more than the PS3, every game that's multiplat is quick looked on the 360, PS3 exclusives aren't discussed as long a 360 or multiplats, aside from that though I pretty much unanimously agree anime and weed are stupid.

rateoforange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#153  Edited By rateoforange
@Hitchenson said:
" @natetodamax said:

I remain unsatisfied by your answer. I guess you can't explain it which means you are only saying it because Jeff Gerstmann said it. "

I don't like anime or the anime culture, or the JRPG culture, or just about any weaboo shit in general. So thus people who do are obviously jerks. I'm afraid I'm unable to explain my utter hatred of these things, it's just how it is.   Oh, and trust me. I've hated all this shit since I was about eleven. (Excusing Pokemon Silver of course). "
Huh. So you've got a semi-rational to irrational hatred of something and its mostly harmless adherents, use derogatory words to refer to them and the things they like, and don't respect people who try to engage you on this. Okay, I think I've worked out who is the jerk in this situation.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#154  Edited By TheHBK

Totally Agree that anime is for jerks.  240 episodes in a fucking season?  That is some lazy ass animation.  Thats all it really is.

Disagree with their love of Star Trek.  Dont hate Star Trek but its not better than Star Wars.  Star Trek just seems lame sometimes.  Phasers?  You cant tell me you wouldnt choose a lightsaber over a phaser any day.  And the thing that Star Wars has over Star Trek is that chicks can be into it.  I mean come on, you got Harrison Ford and James Earl Jones.  What else do you need?

Agree with Jeff's sentiment that Final Fantasy games that were not on the Super Nintendo, are dumb.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#155  Edited By Hitchenson
@rateoforange said:
" @Hitchenson said:
" @natetodamax said:

I remain unsatisfied by your answer. I guess you can't explain it which means you are only saying it because Jeff Gerstmann said it. "

I don't like anime or the anime culture, or the JRPG culture, or just about any weaboo shit in general. So thus people who do are obviously jerks. I'm afraid I'm unable to explain my utter hatred of these things, it's just how it is.   Oh, and trust me. I've hated all this shit since I was about eleven. (Excusing Pokemon Silver of course). "
Huh. So you've got a semi-rational to irrational hatred of something and its mostly harmless adherents, use derogatory words to refer to them and the things they like, and don't respect people who try to engage you on this. Okay, I think I've worked out who is the jerk in this situation. "
I'm glad to see you agree with me, good sir. 
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#156  Edited By citizenkane

Their hate for Star Wars and thinking that it's stupid.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By evanbrau
@Wes899 said:
" I agree with Jeff in saying that most anime is pure garbage. I also despise anime culture and everything surrounding it, so maybe its just me or maybe I just hate japanophiles. I've never given it much thought because its not worth it. "
Yup, wish they would hate on anime more than they do.

As for disagreeing with them I like Star Wars and do not like most fighting games which is extremely small fries by anyones standards. To be honest the reason I found Giantbomb wasn't because of the whole gamespot debacle but because the staff on this sites tastes seem to be the most in tune with what I like personally.
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#158  Edited By torus
@Lamashtu said:
" Respect to these fine folks, and their wisdom in an increasingly insane gaming industry is valuable, but I'm interested in hearing about the points people here actually disagree with the Giant Bomb boys.    To get us started, some of my thoughts...  1. Their dislike of the Splinter Cell series: It seems to me that the Giant Bomb crew take a dislike to the Splinter Cell series for what they perceive to be the binary succeed/fail, trial and error formula that characterized the first four games. This strikes me a bit odd, since platformers seem to take that formula to its absolute extreme (either get through the level or fall into flaming pit filled with giant scorpions) yet no one seems to knock them for that. It also strikes me that they think much more highly of the MGS series, though most of the people I've met who absolutely adore Metal Gear Solid love playing the true stealth-action metagame of European Extreme, game over on detection, and knock-out and tranqs only (incidentally the same people I've met who love Splinter Cell in equal measure).  2. Them knocking on RTSes for becoming too complicated: I think back to Jeff's sentiments of Silent Service: "Most kids aren't totally stupid to not be able to pick up on the nuances of a game." Given that 10% of an RTS is based on knowledge of the mechanics and the other 90% on feint and psychology, as long as they're able to pick up on games like Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter, they could be at least respectable players at RTSes.  But, to balance all that, I share Ryan's sentiments; I've zero love for the Sonic series of games.  What about your thoughts? "
I agree with everything said here. 
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#159  Edited By ZombiePie
@Dalai said:

" @ZombiePie said:

" @Dalai said:

" @Claude said:
" @Dalai said:
" I don't feel like angering the entire staff right now. Plus I don't think I have 10 hours to list my disagreements. "
Don't listen to this Lama, he killed Dave in his alternate history blog... and at a young age. "
It's how alternate Dave would want it. "
You're just bitter that Jeff told you to go suck shit out of a lead pipe once. "

WarioWare: Smooth Shit!
WarioWare: Smooth Shit!
I still have the boxart.  And we totally disagree on WarioWare. "
Dude whatever, WarioWare has provided us with some of the best Jeff moments ever.

mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#160  Edited By mrariscottle

Everyone hates Ryan.. I feel that I agree with most of the things he says, so everyone must hate me! I also love Jeff's hate of Star Wars. I can't think of anything specifically that I disagree with them on, but even so, if I do I find it funny so it's all good.

oneangryzeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By oneangryzeus

um, Final Fantasy VII.  One of my favorite games of all time.  I still weep every time I think of Aeris.....

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#162  Edited By Whisperkill

Out of everyone on the bombcast these are the order in which I agree with in terms of taste: Brad, Ryan, Vinny and then Jeff. Although it is a tossup between Ryan and Brad 

But I'd say that there are some amazing anime. Generally it is shit, but everyone who says all anime sucks OBVIOUSLY has never watched Ghost in the Shell.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#163  Edited By ImperiousRix
@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @ImperiousRix said:
"

That Star Wars is stupid. 
Surely, Star Wars has been privy to many stupid things, sure.  What long-running franchise isn't? 
Doesn't outweigh the impact and influence of the original trilogy, the visual splendor of Genndy Tartakovsky's animated Clone Wars (not the CGI show, although that isn't bad in certain storylines), and some of the great video game fodder produced. 
Besides that, only the occasional odd statement and review. 
Agree to disagree, that's what I say.

"
I would argue that the new Star Wars material has outweighed whatever vestige of importance the original trilogy held. I think everyone can agree that the original trilogy, in its purest format, is really significant for cinema as a genre, but Lucas's incessant tampering with the franchise has led to--literally--nothing of import, and has actually been to the detriment of the franchise. It's like the Matrix series. Whenever someone brings up the original Matrix in conversation, the sequels unconsciously come to mind, if only because they are such flagrant insults to the beauty of the original film. Same difference with the original trilogy (circa 1983) and its subsequent installments. "
Although I'd never attempt to suggest that Episode 1 or 2 are good films, I would still say that they do a reasonable amount of good for the fiction.  Some aspects may have done the reverse (introducing a biological explanation for Force sensitivity, Jar Jar Binks, etc.), and the overall purpose and necessity for the prequels is more than suspect. 
It is unfortunate that Lucas continually feels the need to tamper and/or "correct" things from movies that essentially have nothing wrong with them, but I feel like it can be argued that a majority of the corrections he's made have nothing wrong with them, either.  Their lack of virtue comes simply from their inability to truly change or improve the films in significant ways. 
I've always had a soft spot for the "Special Editions" of the Star Wars originals because, at only 21 years old, they were my first and only times I saw these movies on the big screen.
TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#164  Edited By TheKing

Shenmue is still my favorite game!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#165  Edited By Scooper

That a unnessasarily long pause after every other sentance makes for a compelling Bombcast.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Final Fantasy XIII is a great game.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#167  Edited By Jazz

Jeff's love of MKvDC 
The overabundance of love they give to FPS games 
erm..  
Vinny casting Bufu.. 

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Chirag4

1. Their dislike of stealth games 
2. Brad's disdain for FFXIII 
3. WHY THE FUCK DID THEY ALL BUY THE DSI 

Oh and their condescending nature towards games not developed in the US, UK or Japan. e.g. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Venatio

Well the ones I can think of are

Final Fantasy isn't shit
I like Star Wars, even the prequels
I thought that the Transformers movies were okay

I'll fill in more as I think about them

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#170  Edited By ez123

Ryan's hating on Yoshi.
Jeff and Ryan also said Crackdown was broken or something like that, not true.
Probably some other stuff that I can't think of right now.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By jmrwacko
@Feser said:
"

I disagree with the belief that this website is a giant bomb.

"
I believe that Tom Jones is a bomb.
Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Liminality
  • The score for AVP.
  • They think LBP has nothing more to offer.
  • Anime is awesome.
  • Star Wars is good.
  • I don't like when, specially Jeff, does a Quick look of something that he clearly doesn't like and sounds very annoyed, if that's the case it would be better if other person plays the game or just don't do it.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#173  Edited By Jazz

and here i thought i was the only one who finds Ryan's nihilism rather taxing. 
whew. 

Avatar image for theogvandalvideo
TheOGVandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I question their use of a really long explosive trigger.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Venatio
@rjayb89 said:
" I dislike it when Vinny isn't on the podcast.  He always steps down for guests, which is pretty cool of him, but it should be Brad. "
I like Brad but I couldn't agree with you more, Vinny's my favorite member of Giantbomb
Buttes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Buttes

That the DSi shop music should be loud. Just keep it low and at the same volume the whole segment.

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By ShadowKing7

Oh, let's see..... 

1.  Ryan's hatred of Yoshi.  I don't see how anyone can hate Yoshi. 
2.  I love me some DBZ, dammit.
3.  The crew makes God of War look like a mindless masher in videos because I never see them use the BLOCK button. 

Number 3 ain't limited to them, that shit gets on my nerves whenever other people label the games as button mash-fests.  However, with all of this, it's all just opinions, it ain't like they straight up fact.
FatalError

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By FatalError
  • I like anime and am not a jerk  :(
  • I think Energy drinks are nasty
  • I love stealth games
  • Despite lucas's tampering I still enjoy star wars
  • I prefer pc gaming to console gaming
  • I'd LOVE to ride in a heicopter
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By DystopiaX
@Milkman: not according to his wiki page...
Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#180  Edited By Spike94

Their dislike of Demons' Souls. Love that game. 
Eh, we all got our opinions of course and that doesn't hurt my love for the crew whatsoever- just as it shouldn't. 
Also, all of what ImperiousRix said.
Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I remember Jeff saying that Facebook games such as Mafia Wars (Artemis Entreri - Level 434 Maniac snuffin' your ass here!)  and Farmville aren't really games. I and about 20 million other people would certainly disagree.

DeadRockstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By DeadRockstar

The only thing that immediately comes to mind is Blazblue. I can't remember the review of it, but it was ragged on pretty hard in the quick look and personally I dig that game.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Whisperkill
@DeadRockstar said:
" The only thing that immediately comes to mind is Blazblue. I can't remember the review of it, but it was ragged on pretty hard in the quick look and personally I dig that game. "
Yeah, they tend to stick strongly and irrationally to their biases.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#184  Edited By Video_Game_King

Fable II being a good game. Hey, it got 4 stars under Vinny, so that counts. Also, the extra star on Muramasa. That is all.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#185  Edited By bacongames

Street Fighter IV.  Whenever Jeff says that game is good for people to enter the series, I straight want to punch him.  NO IT'S NOT.  That game has a horrible tutorial and in no way makes the effort to teach you how to actually play the game you came to play.  Instead it just says fuck you and leaves you alone to do it yourself.  If you do know how to play, then yes it's great but not to beginners.

That and their inexplicable hate towards The Ballad of Gay Tony and Demon's Souls.  A lot of times they are on the right track but slip up at the very end.  RTS's I agree are too complicated for their own good (being stuck in the combination base build + RTS combat needs to end)  and inverted controls.  They never mention console vs. PC, just that inverted controls suck.

I do agree with a vast majority of what they say and I'm consistently pleased that I'm not the only one not impressed or entertained at all by Anime or Final Fantasy VII.  I can totally understand Jeff's hate for Star Wars because yo that shit is made lame outside of the original trilogy, group of good games, and the first Clone Wars cartoons.  Ryan's snobbish tone aside, I really agree with most of what he says although he is a bit severe in reviews vs. Brad who is more lenient.  I'm really nitpicking though.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#186  Edited By Addfwyn

A few things, here or there.  I mean, they are entitled to their own opinion, but I am entitled to disagree too. 

In general: 
 Jeff's taste in fighters.  I abhor SFIV and love BlazBlue, so I think we're on polar opposite wavelengths there. 
 Their general like for shooters.  I don't mind shooters, but I am exhausted with the entire genre after 5,000 of them. 
 Their apparent willingness to go along with the mainstream media on some subjects because it's the popular thing to do, though I find they make strong independent decisions in the end, usually. 
 Most of Ryan's taste in general, but I think we just have different tastes.  
 "Anime is for jerks" just seems to be...such a condescending and bland overgeneralization.   Very uncharacteristic of them.  

Most often, I find Brad's tastes are closest to my own, though I was a bit disappointed to hear him on the latest bombcast.

ArmedBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By ArmedBear

Gerstmann likes to put ketchup on his steaks.  It makes me want to projectile vomit on his face.

Let me elaborate.

A nice, medium rare, juicy porterhouse is set down on the table. The smell of spices is enticing.  The char-broiled flesh is making your mouth water.  Then Gerstmann opens up the Heinz and drowns this beautiful piece of meat with goddamn ketchup.  A masterpiece of beef now looks like a mass of diarrhea and congealing menstrual fluid.   

They also need to stop it with the energy drinks.  I'm surprised that Davis and Gerstmann's teeth haven't rotted away like a couple of meth addicts. 

Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Quacktastic

Star Trek is just as dumb as Star Wars.
Demon's Souls is good.
Seinfeld is good.
Cable TV wrestling is for bad people.
On a console, Invert the Y the axis.  The stick is your head, push it to look down you aliens.

These are facts.

Oh yeah, energy drinks are going to kill you all.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#189  Edited By dichemstys
@Guyzea said:
" Demon's Souls, I feel that they never gave that game a chance. Seems they fell for the whole hard and punishing exaggerations from other sites/communities. It's not hard at all if you don't rush through like some action hack-n-slash game. "
Yeah, the whole Demon's Souls this is the only thing I really disagree about.
Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@Addfwyn said:
"Anime is for jerks" just seems to be...such a condescending and bland overgeneralization.   Very uncharacteristic of them.
I'm amazed at how many people take that seriously. I've always interpreted it as sort of a joke.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#191  Edited By thatfrood

there's a lot of people here saying rts's have become too complicated. 
That confuses me.  
Obviously I don't go about complaining that FPS have become too reliant on shooting, or that rpg's have become too focused on roleplay. Rts's are defined by their multi-layered complexity. 

Jeff keeps saying stuff like Rts's became to complicated once you could start garissoning units. 
what? 
You mean Starcraft is too complex? 
Age of Empires? 
Red Alert? Command and Conquer generals? 
So what you're saying is... rts's became too complicated once they became... good?

SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ThatFrood said:

Jeff keeps saying stuff like Rts's became to complicated once you could start garissoning units. 
what?

I think he's just speaking for himself. That was the point when it started getting too complex for him, and now he's done with the genre.
Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Scrawnto
@528seven:  
Right. If you've never met any totally overbearing anime fans who are disdainful of anything not from their beloved Japan, you aren't going to get it. Those guys are jerks, and as anime's loudest proponents, for a lot of people they are the face of anime.

Of course anime is not inherently bad. It's a medium. Like any medium, the vast preponderance is going to be garbage. The same is true for music, American cartoons, sitcoms, fantasy novels, etc. They just like to generalize things for comedic value. 

I'm also mostly play games on a PC. I don't really like fighting games in general, because of their preposterous learning curve. Some games definitely don't get the chance they deserve. 
However, the journalism part of the site is built on the strength of the personalities and opinions of the writers. I come here for honest opinions and because I find the guys to be really funny. That's what I get, even when I don't agree with them.
Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#194  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Everytime Jeff mentions his view on Borderlands I want to (figuratively speaking) punch him in the head. I get the whole opinion and play style thing, but he seems to look down upon people who play other classes, and almost shit his pants at the data that said the classes were almost even in terms of usage. C'mon, not everyone likes to be in their cozy little regen shell with 3 shot burst (though I roll with 4 of 'em). I can't stand playing as a Soldier, so maybe I'm biased, but hell...so is Jeff, right? 

Ryan and Jeff's close-mindedness about virtually everything is appaling, but the other GB crew seems to be less infuriating. Though, the accolades they give to Batman: AA are mostly those of astonished fanboys or people who have never played the pinnacle of a Metroidvania, or don't really understand how a combat system should work in those games.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Brendan

Jeff's dislike of Seinfeld makes me a little sad, but that's pretty much it. 
Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Jayzilla

I disagree with Jeff's affinity for achievement points and I think it gets in the way of his reviews at times. That being said, there isn't a better crew in the gaming industry.

SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By SleepyDoughnut
@neoepoch said:
" I like Manga, which I know they hate. Also Star Wars is awesome. I'm not going to knock Star Trek because that is cool too. But the strong hate for Star Wars kinda irks me everytime I hear it. "
Its only Jeff. The rest of them like Star Wars.
SleepyDoughnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By SleepyDoughnut

Basically I wish Ryan wasn't so strongly opinionated about everything.

SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Scrawnto: Exactly.
Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#200  Edited By Sabata

I disagree with Jeff's opinion that Star Wars sucks, but I vehemently agree with his opinion that Seinfeld sucks, so it balances out.