Thinking of purchasing Spelunky... No clue what I'm in for.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MrHadouken

I've heard it's like the dark souls of platformers, so does that mean it is like I want to be the guy?!? I guess my question is, is this game actually fair?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Well, the levels are random unlike Dark Souls, and Spelunky doesn't constantly try to ambush you in the way that Dark Souls does. But sure, you have to be vigilant or else you will die for stupid, easily avoidable reasons, so it has that in common? Spelunky is quite fair in most cases.

It's interesting because it's more just about having great situational awareness, and deciding whether it's worth going after money or an item that is somewhere risky, or sometimes it's smarter to just move on. That's the part that isn't really the same in other roguelike-likes: Binding of Isaac, FTL, etc., you sort of have to fight almost every time, and you don't have the option of "fuck it, gotta just let it go and move on".

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

The game is very fair. It's not like I Wanna Be the Guy in that it demands precise platforming. It's all about patience, considering your actions closely and thinking a few steps ahead at all times. That's why it would be called the Dark Souls of platformers. Prepare to get your ass kicked early but if you put in the time and patience, it's extremely rewarding.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Do it. It's awesome. One of the best games to come out in a while. And it's totally fair, 99.999999% of the time, if you die, it's your fault and you can identify what you did wrong.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrHadouken

Thank you, now I just hope it isn't on sale as I'm sucking in the ice/snow storm at my parents, hopefully can get back home in a few days.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been seriously considering it myself after watching alot of patrick play.

Though i hesitate because of a few reasons, first, after watching patrick play a shitload of it i feel like i might have already experienced alot of it and know all the tricks now before ever playing it.

And secondly i tend to play games in longer sittings. I dont think splunky is the kind of game you play for like 3 hours straight.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By cloudymusic

@clonedzero said:

And secondly i tend to play games in longer sittings. I dont think splunky is the kind of game you play for like 3 hours straight.

I've done it on multiple occasions. It has the "just one more game" factor that can easily add up to hours if you keep saying that "this next one's sure to be the run."

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero said:

I've done it on multiple occasions. It has the "just one more game" factor that can easily add up to hours if you keep saying that "this next one's sure to be the run."

Ok, hate to hijack this guys thread, but i think ill pull the trigger on it tomorrow. Been looking for a game to play till the march rush of games.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#9  Edited By BeachThunder

You're in for a game where you start off with barely any idea of how to play, then gradually figure out nuances of the game and become better. It's all about mastery, discovery, and improving your own personal skill level (there are no experience points, or anything similar). It is geared towards dying and restarting over, which is a good thing in this game - it is procedurally generated, so things are slightly different every time. Usually you will learn something when you die, then you try to take what you've learned and try to apply that to the next time you play. It is 95% fair - sometimes you'll get hit without any real way to avoid it, there are times that I've started a level and been hit immediately; for the most part though, when you make a mistake it's your own fault.

@clonedzero said:

I've definitely played it for hours on end :o

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

it's a lot like an NES game, especially the not knowing what to expect. There are some references to Spelunker, but even then it's just slight nods, nothing too exact, like "Bombs can be set off in another screen" or "ghosts can be killed with flairs." But it's a game that really rewards skill and what you learned from previous experiences.

The daily challenges is how I play it, feels like a nice pallet cleanser of a game.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@mrhadouken: You should go watch some Spelunkin' with scoops.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero said:

Though i hesitate because of a few reasons, first, after watching patrick play a shitload of it i feel like i might have already experienced alot of it and know all the tricks now before ever playing it.

Yeah, I do feel like I learned a loooot of scams from Patrick. The first time I made it to Olmec, I beat him, because I'd watched Patrick do it at least a couple of times. I felt pretty good about doing it without jetpack, cape, climbing gloves, or spring boots, so maneuvering was actually pretty tricky.

But yeah, I really wonder what I would've thought to do with Olmec if I didn't realize there is lava underneath that you can bomb down to. The game's 2 main bosses are all pretty easy to cheese once you know what to expect from them, so you do kind of lose something having watched Patrick tackle them with a proven strat.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@clonedzero said:

Yeah, I do feel like I learned a loooot of scams from Patrick. The first time I made it to Olmec, I beat him, because I'd watched Patrick do it at least a couple of times. I felt pretty good about doing it without jetpack, cape, climbing gloves, or spring boots, so maneuvering was actually pretty tricky.

But yeah, I really wonder what I would've thought to do with Olmec if I didn't realize there is lava underneath that you can bomb down to. The game's 2 main bosses are all pretty easy to cheese once you know what to expect from them, so you do kind of lose something having watched Patrick tackle them with a proven strat.

You will certainly have lost something from seeing Patrick do it but I would stress that Spelunky is above all else an amazing feeling game. Uncovering your own strats and play-style is a fair part of it, for sure. But by the time you've gotten to Yama you won't care if you finish him off in a couple of minutes, you'll be too happy just bouncing up and down at the fact you even got there.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BisonHero

@euandewar said:

@bisonhero said:

@clonedzero said:

You will certainly have lost something from seeing Patrick do it but I would stress that Spelunky is above all else an amazing feeling game. Uncovering your own strats and play-style is a fair part of it, for sure. But by the time you've gotten to Yama you won't care if you finish him off in a couple of minutes, you'll be too happy just bouncing up and down at the fact you even got there.

Fair point. Even though I learned some tricks from Patrick, there's a lot of playstyle stuff I do differently. Early game I use the damsel to kill enemies constantly when I'm carrying it, since it can't ever have a weird bounce and damage you. Also, I actually use the boomerang if I happen to get one before I've gotten a shotgun, while I swear across all of these streams Patrick has never used a boomerang for more than 10 seconds.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By EuanDewar

@bisonhero: I do both of those things as well. The damsel thing is especially useful in the mines and actually quite a bit of cheeky fun. I like those slightly riskier kinds of play-styles, maybe it results in you fucking up a little more than you might otherwise but variety is the spice o'life innit.

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrHadouken

Well I've been playing the demo nonstop today once I came home. I think this game justifies spending $15.