Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@coakroach said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@coakroach said:

I kind of agree with McShea.

The way the game portrays race is really concerning.

How so? I haven't actually played it so enlighten me.

From what i've seen from coverage, and heard second hand from friends, they dont really give much of a reason for you to shoot people other than the fact that it's a mission objective.

Which is the case in plenty of other games, but those games aren't trying to portray actual world events that have actual political and historical baggage.

So what you see is mainly white world policemen gunning down poorly armed brown people, strangely not really showing you the horrible things extremist groups actually do or the local armed forces/intelligence/militia that are also trying to stop them with your assistance.

To be fair, white world policemen gunning down poorly armed brown people is fairly accurate depending on your perspective. People (especially armed forces) are often put into a situation where they only see one side of the conflict and intentionally so. I don't think the game is wrong for depicting something that is realistic from some perspectives, I think the media is wrong for discussing it like it isn't.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Ravenlight

@DystopiaX said:

@glyn said:

But I think we all would like to see a super-realistic shooter, where if you die the game is over. Much like the original Tom Clancy's ghost recon. SOmeone give peter molyneux a call

Nah, the Peter Molyneux style would have the disk dissolving when you die, and your death registered on your steam/XBL/PSN account so you can't even buy another copy of the game to play again.

Actual permadeath boner, activate! I'd buy two copies even if I could never play it a second time.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By Kerned

@awesomeusername: @awesomeusername said:

On behalf of Giantbomb, please go back to GameSpot.

See ya

Yuuuuuuuup. Go back to anywhere.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#104  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Guys, I think you scared him off. Good... job?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Video_Game_King

@Bucketdeth said:

That said, I'm not really sure how you remember some little rant I had years back, did I say something to upset you back then? I can picture you in fetal position, rocking back and forth while chanting "BUCKETDETH MUST DIE".

Or maybe it was prolonged enough and violent enough that it left an impression on her memory. I can recall quite a few discussions of that nature on this site where I spent much of the time thinking "sweet fuck, WHY WON'T THIS END!?".

Haha, I have also been in those and desperately try to get out of them, but I also know I have made some absolutely retarded posts in the past that may as well have been a 7 year old schizophrenic kid having a mental break down. I was 17 when I joined and am now 21. I have gone from living with my mother to living in another province and having to adjust to bills, college, car payments while working part time, it really has matured me. Although I still have the humor of a slightly retarded 12 year old.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#106  Edited By GreggD

@ArbitraryWater said:

Yes, excellent job everyone. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to follow the poor fellow because I actually happen to agree with him when it comes to McShea being an asshat.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By TheHumanDove

@GreggD said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Yes, excellent job everyone. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to follow the poor fellow because I actually happen to agree with him when it comes to McShea being an asshat.

cue the rage of the mcshea defense force

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By GreggD

@TheHumanDove said:

@GreggD said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

cue the rage of the mcshea defense force

Probably with some bullshit about how he's EXPOSING THE TRUTH about whatever. I dunno. Just because you may have a semblance of a point does not give you carte blanche to act like a dick.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#109  Edited By PixelPrinny

@Bucketdeth said:

@PixelPrinny said:

@NintendoNaut said:

Wow. First post and I'm already being flamed. I can tell this is a great community already.

I can tell from your first post and your inability to take criticism without a healthy dose of passive aggressiveness that you'll contribute a lot of great things to the community! So cheers and welcome!

@CaLe said:

@Bucketdeth said:

Man, Giantbomb really has devolved into a bunch of fucking dicks.

And posts like this really help.

The great thing is Bucketdeth was involved in some fairly epic spats back in the day; particularly ones revolving around music (Metal specifically, if I recall correctly). Nothing's changed. There have always been dicks and there always will be dicks. There have and always will be great people, too. Like that guy. I mean as an example of the former. Certainly not the latter, haha no. That'd be crazy!

Probably true, but there are very few times I have been a dick just to be a dick, but I do admit that I have been pretty silly in the past over such things as a music genre. ***I would like to add though, that I am very passionate about most of the music I choose to listen to, only because it has helped through some tough shit as a kid.

That said, I'm not really sure how you remember some little rant I had years back, did I say something to upset you back then? I can picture you in fetal position, rocking back and forth while chanting "BUCKETDETH MUST DIE".

Haha no, I wasn't calling you out for being a dick. In fact, I generally sided with you in those little spats (hell, I remember a couple of them started in the comment sections of my own blog posts on my old Symphony account). My point was more that jerks and trolls and flaming and name calling and all that stuff existed back in the 'good 'ol days' and that the community hasn't devolved as badly as people like to think (if it's even devolved, at all. Though for sure we've lost plenty of good contributing members, but at the same time, we've gained others).

Edit: Really, think about it for a moment. Remember the whole "Nintendo Defense Force" drama? Remember Disgaeamad and all that weird stuff? Or even Linkyshinks? All that mod drama? There was a lot of craziness throughout the years and it really hasn't changed all that much from my perspective. I think it's more a matter of "If you are actively looking for something, you're bound to find it more often".. what's the fancy term for that, again? Ahh right -- the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon. *pushes up her nerd glasses*

Charmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Charmin

I admire you that you have the courage to share your thoughts. noyhing else.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#111  Edited By huntad

@TheHumanDove said:

McShea is a clown. He has no tact and says bullshit like how Cliffy B would lie to your face to get you to buy one of his games. Completely uncalled for and unfounded. He belongs on Kotaku

Yeah I'm baffled at times when he comes up with these thoughts. These seem like the kind of the thoughts that I would have come up with way, way back in the day. When Mc Shea came up with that wild accusation about Cliffy B, and argued with that dude making Medal of Honor, I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that he really believed in what he was saying.

It seems as though he really needs more experience, or just a real wake up call that puts him in these people's shoes. And that's not necessarily me taking the sides of the developers. EDITED: I don't think Medal of Honor is a great game. But I want to believe that the reason Mc Shea beats the hell out of these strange thoughts is because he just doesn't know.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By thatdutchguy
@NintendoNaut: Please go back to gamespot and never come back.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#113  Edited By Snail

All that McShea had to say in that 20-minute video was that there's something fundamentally disrespectful and immature in the way all these modern FPS-games, and even in WWII ones, approach war - and that Medal of Honor is not particularly sinful, they are just building a game atop a paradigm that has something glaringly wrong about it that we just ignore.

Instead he was a fool, gave out some pretty idiotic arguments and was owned for roughly 20 minutes.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By neurotic

I thought the article was fine, even if I didn't really see the point in writing it or calling out Medal of Honor specifically when his issue was with all modern military shooters. I haven't seen and don't care about the video that OP mentioned so I don't know if the article was McShea getting one-up on Medal of Honor (which is retarded).

But I actually kinda agree with him. If your game (or film/book/whatever for that matter) is going to be based on real wars then I feel both sides should be represented accurately. Yes, even Nazis. I don't have to have played any modern military shooters to know that this isn't happening right now.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By SamStrife

Reading all you guys flame a new forum user is just upsetting. When did we become such a closed community?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#116  Edited By Video_Game_King

@SamStrife said:

Reading all you guys flame a new forum user is just upsetting. When did we become such a closed community?

We're not a closed community; we're just a community that responds to heavy-handed vitriol in kind. (I can say this, having been on both sides of the fence frequently.)

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#117  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Ewww a Brony

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#118  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I get it your Americans and are brought up to never question the military's actions on propaganda and recruitment, luring high school kids with promises of free education all you got to do is play Russian roulette with your life for a cause you probably don't know the history of.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By SamStrife

@Video_Game_King said:

@SamStrife said:

We're not a closed community; we're just a community that responds to heavy-handed vitriol in kind. (I can say this, having been on both sides of the fence frequently.)

People are having a go at him for his avatar...

And I understand the reaction if this wasn't his first post of the forums. Every forums different and it always takes people a little time to learn what they can say and in what manners they can say it (take for example the forum post a month asking if they can swear on here). Sure, he came across a bit harsh but in no way did he deserve the backlash he got...he actually makes a pretty valid point if you look at it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Video_Game_King

@SamStrife said:

he actually makes a pretty valid point if you look at it.

It's just buried under some poor writing.

(Although attacking the guy for liking MLP is going a bit far. What do you guys have against Bronies?)

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#121  Edited By ttocs

@JasonR86 said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

There is already a thread on this.

Also Tom is looking for page views. And he writes like a person who would write a political speech.

This is the bottom line. Journalists post stuff like this to get people talking and their blood boiling. When their blood boils, they rant. When they rant, they provide links to the source of their frustration. When the provide links, people click, pageviews jump, advertisers pay, and the boss is happy.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By SamStrife

@Video_Game_King: Yeah, he put it across in not quite as elegant fashion as he could have, the community should give him a bit of slack really.

And the dude didn't even mention ponies once and this clearly isn't a pony thread...people are just laying into him because he has a pony avatar. That's dickish whatever way you try to look at it.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#123  Edited By geirr

Well the reason I "left" gamespot has been painted over with gold by the GB crew so whoever this Tom is and whatever this Warfighter is.. uh.. I forget where I was going with this.

Either way, video games.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Video_Game_King

@SamStrife said:

And the dude didn't even mention ponies once and this clearly isn't a pony thread...people are just laying into him because he has a pony avatar. That's dickish whatever way you try to look at it.

Yea, I think I agreed with that. And it's not even like it's the bad MLP. This is the good one, so what the hell?

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By SamStrife

@Video_Game_King said:

@SamStrife said:

Yea, I think I agreed with that. And it's not even like it's the bad MLP. This is the good one, so what the hell?

Yep, you did agree with me, sorry.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Sinusoidal

I don't so much care about the issue as I'm interested in the concept of a game that ends, and somehow prevents you from ever playing it again after you die. Not that I'd pay anything for it.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By YOU_DIED

@sear said:

Why the hell does anyone even bother going to any mainstream games "journalism" sites? No, really? What do you get out of it? You know most of the content is paid for, you know the people writing for those sites are hacks, and you know that you could actually be doing research and forming your own opinions without having to listen to a bunch of ADHD man-children. The best part? Giant Bomb is about one step away from those guys.

Just ditch all of it as fast as you can and find some decent sites to hang out on, preferably ones where the community hasn't convinced itself of the complete and utter sanctity of anything related to X game/publisher/developer/author.

Well said, I rely on my close friends for opinions on video games since I know their tastes, and more importantly I know they aren't getting kickbacks for whatever positive things they might say. The one reason I like GB is the long ass Quick Looks where I get to see a lot of gameplay.