• 66 results
#1 Edited by ikilledthedj (279 posts) -

Steam store is down..again

All that drama with the RUST servers (which i also got effected by)

Origin is down.. Great as if B4 couldn't get any worse. Now i just flat out cant play it coz some group of 16yo's wants to have fun on the new interwebss thing they just got for christmas.

Why do groups do this? what does it achieve in the long run?

i cant even get into offline mode on origin...da fuq i really wanted to see that awesome BF4 opening

#2 Posted by GreggD (4477 posts) -

Nothing, and I'm super pissed about it, too. Prepare for a "Puppy" edit soon, though.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (35988 posts) -

@greggd said:

Prepare for a "Puppy" edit soon, though.

Which means we must find this DDOS Attack Puppy and rehabilitate it as soon as possible. It's young; we can resocialize it.

#5 Posted by Flappy (2127 posts) -

What's a DDOS and why does it attack Puppies??? Is it Rorie's alter-ego?

#6 Posted by Slag (3995 posts) -

Oh so that's what's going on. Makes sense unfortunately

Is it the French again? They still mad about Rust not having a Linux version?

#7 Edited by Vuud (1943 posts) -

@greggd said:

Nothing, and I'm super pissed about it, too. Prepare for a "Puppy" edit soon, though.

Is Giant Bomb really censoring naughty words now?

#8 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Oh is this why steam is down? I've been trying to so some heists for the last hour on Payday 2 and I keep getting disconnected.

#9 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1538 posts) -

That's really puppy...

#10 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (982 posts) -

@vuud said:

@greggd said:

Is Giant Bomb really censoring naughty words now?

Only in thread tittles, which has been a rule for some time now.

#11 Posted by BaneFireLord (2909 posts) -

@vuud: Only in thread titles, which has been a relatively longstanding policy.

Also, yeah, people like this are total cunts and should be bludgeoned to death with their own desktop towers.

#12 Posted by GreggD (4477 posts) -

@vuud: Only in thread titles, which has been a relatively longstanding policy.

Also, yeah, people like this are total cunts and should be bludgeoned to death with their own desktop towers.

Or keyboards, Gattica style. Fuck yeah.

#13 Edited by Demoskinos (14561 posts) -

Yeah, its a real pupped up thing for them to do.

#14 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (695 posts) -

I just want to play BF4 on my day off. :(

#15 Posted by GreggD (4477 posts) -

So Battlelog is working now, but Origin is still getting spammed. So I can load the server info on BL, but Origin can't load my games library, and BF4 as a result.

#16 Posted by ILikePopCans (745 posts) -

Why does bad people do bad thing?

Thats a good question

#17 Edited by AcidBrandon18 (695 posts) -

@greggd said:

@acidbrandon18 said:

So Battlelog is working now, but Origin is still getting spammed. So I can load the server info on BL, but Origin can't load my games library, and BF4 as a result.

I play on PS4 and can't log into the servers to play. Same for Need for Speed Rivals, but I can play that offline. This kind of stuff makes me worried for those big multiplayer only games. :/

#18 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -
#19 Posted by believer258 (11629 posts) -

@flappy said:

What's a DDOS and why does it attack Puppies??? Is it Rorie's alter-ego?

Distributed Denial of Service attack. It's essentially an effort to deny users access to online resources by flooding those resources with server request.

For an analogy that took me all of five seconds to come up with, it's like filling up a public toilet with toilet paper so that other people can't use it. It's only something that irresponsible dicks would do.

Also what's this about puppies?

#20 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

Remember private servers? Those were pretty cool.

#21 Edited by Franstone (1091 posts) -

This is where some of that NSA spying would come in handy...

#22 Edited by Irvandus (2818 posts) -

It's happening because people are dicks, especially on the Internet.

#23 Posted by TruthTellah (8529 posts) -

It's really puppy. And the hacker group is claiming that they've actually hacked into Origin and the Battlefield 4 servers. Which, well, would be more than just a DDOS. Though, I haven't seen confirmation of their claims.

#24 Posted by ShaggE (6326 posts) -

Gah, this is annoying. Trying to put cards on the market and it's a pain in the ass even getting to my inventory.

Trying-To-Be-LulzSec: Way to be mildly obnoxious, I guess?

#25 Posted by warxsnake (2635 posts) -

If its really the same guy(s) taking down all these services, i hope he has lube for whats gonna be knocking at his door soon

#26 Posted by joshwent (2112 posts) -

For an analogy that took me all of five seconds to come up with, it's like filling up a public toilet with toilet paper so that other people can't use it. It's only something that irresponsible dicks would do.

There is no way that spending time coding something that jams servers and then watching random people complain on message boards is anywhere near as fun as taking the end of toilet paper still on the roll, putting it in the bowl, and watching the whole damn thing unravel when you flush it.

In a way, I kind of feel sorry for these "hacker" jerks. Those simpler, far less harmful pranks are just so much more enjoyable. Maybe we should just send those dicks some silly string and we can all get on with our gaming lives.

#27 Edited by Draxyle (1790 posts) -

The worst part about these (deliberate) DDOS attacks, they're going to eventually force the government to interfere and lay down some law. It's a dangerous road that might threaten net neutrality, all for some petty laughs.

#28 Posted by seveword (141 posts) -

@joshwent said:

@believer258 said:

There is no way that spending time coding something that jams servers and then watching random people complain on message boards is anywhere near as fun as taking the end of toilet paper still on the roll, putting it in the bowl, and watching the whole damn thing unravel when you flush it.

In a way, I kind of feel sorry for these "hacker" jerks. Those simpler, far less harmful pranks are just so much more enjoyable. Maybe we should just send those dicks some silly string and we can all get on with our gaming lives.

I know, right? Whoopie cushions are hilarious, and they cost like 5 cents to make. Make dozens of them, have fun!

#29 Edited by TinoXtreme (300 posts) -

Well Derp's info just got leaked by a legit hacker. So he going to be visited by the feds real soon.

#30 Posted by Flappy (2127 posts) -

@believer258: I appreciate the effort you put into the post, but I already had a good idea about what was going on here. The 'Puppy talk' is a reference to...

@greggd said:

This right here. Once again, thanks Believer258.

#31 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Well Derp's info just got leaked by a legit hacker. So he going to be visited by the feds real soon.

I was hoping someone would Batman this dude.

#32 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6082 posts) -

I wish these people would use their talents to do something constructive rather than something so utterly pointless.

#33 Posted by Random45 (1045 posts) -

I wish these people would use their talents to do something constructive rather than something so utterly pointless.

Isn't this the truth. I don't understand why people would want to deny hundreds of thousands - maybe even millions - of people access to a service so they can play games. It's just a dirt bag thing to do, and I hope these people are caught.

#34 Edited by BisonHero (6159 posts) -

@random45 said:

@sparky_buzzsaw said:

Isn't this the truth. I don't understand why people would want to deny hundreds of thousands - maybe even millions - of people access to a service so they can play games. It's just a dirt bag thing to do, and I hope these people are caught.

In some cases, these people may not be particularly talented. Some of the simpler DDoS attacks really don't require very much knowledge or skill.

#35 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (695 posts) -

@joshwent said:

@believer258 said:

Says the guy who has never had to clean up said prank. smh

#36 Posted by Vuud (1943 posts) -

But who watches the Watch_Dogs???

#37 Posted by ShaggE (6326 posts) -

@vuud said:

@tinoxtreme said:

But who watches the Watch_Dogs???

The DDOS Attack Puppy.

#38 Posted by joshwent (2112 posts) -
#39 Posted by kishinfoulux (2253 posts) -

Apparently Battle.net is down too. Steam, Origin, and Battle.net? Dude's been busy.

#40 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

This is insane. They all did it to prevent one guy from playing games on a twitch stream just because he had the most views. They even called the cops to his house saying there was a hostage situation going on.

Here is a video in which he tries to responds to all this mess.

We really need special forces to get these people way faster and arrest them on the spot. This is getting really insane.

#41 Edited by RonGalaxy (2868 posts) -

@sparky_buzzsaw: apparently there isnt any talent involved. The guy who ddos'd steam posted a picture on twitter of a program he used to do it...

#42 Posted by Freshbandito (653 posts) -

@darji: That's grossly simplified and incorrect. The group responsible for the attack started bringing down some sites before hitting Phantoml0rd's stream. He's a very well known league of legends streamer and had an audience of a couple of thousand at the time, realising that they could use his audience to promote their 'Rent-a-DDoS' service the hackers started targeting and contacting him via Twitter, Phantoml0rd being gullible and realising that he was closing in on unheard of stream views (the league of legends subReddit got hold of the fact he was engaging with them and his viewer numbers exploded to over 140,000 at it's peak) then engaged in a back and fore with those responsible for the attacks and so they followed him around taking down games he played and making agreements such as if he won his game in Dota 2 then they wouldn't DDoS, lose and they hit the server. Eventually someone got his personal details (evidence points to Phantoml0rd using the same password he uses day to day when creating an account to log in to the hacker's irc channel) and called the police claiming there was a hostage situation, cops burst in, situation is explained and the police started checking his set up for evidence.

All signs pointed to the group getting a RAT onto Phantoml0rd's pc at some point in their exchanges which is what allowed them to so easily track and target game servers he entered as in the case of Dota 2 and the way it handles instanced servers for games.

#43 Posted by MB (11968 posts) -

I'm happy to see someone pupped up this thread while I was playing Marvel. I told you guys this was policy now, but everyone thought I was joking...

#44 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@darji: That's grossly simplified and incorrect. The group responsible for the attack started bringing down some sites before hitting Phantoml0rd's stream. He's a very well known league of legends streamer and had an audience of a couple of thousand at the time, realising that they could use his audience to promote their 'Rent-a-DDoS' service the hackers started targeting and contacting him via Twitter, Phantoml0rd being gullible and realising that he was closing in on unheard of stream views (the league of legends subReddit got hold of the fact he was engaging with them and his viewer numbers exploded to over 140,000 at it's peak) then engaged in a back and fore with those responsible for the attacks and so they followed him around taking down games he played and making agreements such as if he won his game in Dota 2 then they wouldn't DDoS, lose and they hit the server. Eventually someone got his personal details (evidence points to Phantoml0rd using the same password he uses day to day when creating an account to log in to the hacker's irc channel) and called the police claiming there was a hostage situation, cops burst in, situation is explained and the police started checking his set up for evidence.

All signs pointed to the group getting a RAT onto Phantoml0rd's pc at some point in their exchanges which is what allowed them to so easily track and target game servers he entered as in the case of Dota 2 and the way it handles instanced servers for games.

Ah ok thank you for clearing this up. Much appreciate it^^

#45 Posted by Freshbandito (653 posts) -

@darji: My pleasure, it was a really weird series of events. I was following it at the time since League of Legends is my regular gaming haunt and all the info sort of dripped out across social media and then was collated in a thread on the league subreddit.

Back to the crux of it though the whole thing seem like such a spiteful act that hurts so much more than the "money hungry companies" that these young "hacktivists" claim they're punishing and in this particular instance where people are just looking to sell a DDoS attack service to take money off inconveniencing others.

#46 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@freshbandito: yeah at this point it is just as an lame excuse because they are bored or want to see the world burn.

#47 Posted by dudeglove (7684 posts) -

All this talk of DDOS Puppy and no one - NO ONE - has come up with a photoshop?!

#48 Posted by Vermisean (154 posts) -

@draxyle: That's my biggest concern with all of this as well.

Internet fame has reached (another) all-time low.

#49 Posted by TheHT (10876 posts) -
#50 Posted by Demoskinos (14561 posts) -

I want a DDOS attack puppy.